PDA

View Full Version : Goldin Elite, REA, Heritage, Uncle Jimmy .....

Snapolit1
07-27-2020, 06:56 AM
Other auctions like LOTG coming shorty ....

So much stuff. Kind of mind boggling. Where does it all come from.

bnorth
07-27-2020, 07:12 AM

A gentleman in Wisconsin.:eek::D

Shoeless Moe
07-27-2020, 07:14 AM

Pretty much like this every year. Actually less this year.

Hunt usually has theirs at the All Star Game, they didn't have one this summer (yet)

Huggins usually has one around the time of the National (late July/early Aug) they are delayed until October.

SCP & Memory Lane usually have a summer one, have not seen them yet.

MCyganik
07-27-2020, 07:46 AM
I'm new to the high-end auction game so I'm probably wrong, but isn't a lot of this stuff, especially cards, cyclical? Unless a certain card or memorabilia piece falls into a die-hard collectors hands (which many do), an investor will buy it, sit on it for a couple of years and let it appreciate in value and then resell.

Snapolit1
07-27-2020, 07:50 AM
I'm new to the high-end auction game so I'm probably wrong, but isn't a lot of this stuff, especially cards, cyclical? Unless a certain card or memorabilia piece falls into a die-hard collectors hands (which many do), an investor will buy it, sit on it for a couple of years and let it appreciate in value and then resell.

In many cases that's exactly what happens. Sometimes people sit on it for 3 months and they buy and immediately list in next big auction. There is a Joe Jackson card that has been in 20 auctions in the last 4 years.

Ina my experience the turn around quickly sell strategy doesn't work so well. If you were the guy wiling to pay the most in January, many times you will take a loss in June.

perezfan
07-27-2020, 10:31 AM
Pretty much like this every year. Actually less this year.

Hunt usually has theirs at the All Star Game, they didn't have one this summer (yet)

Huggins usually has one around the time of the National (late July/early Aug) they are delayed until October.

SCP & Memory Lane usually have a summer one, have not seen them yet.

Hunt will end on 8/26
SCP will end on 8/28
LOTG will likely end on 8/29
Heritage will end on 8/29 - 8/30
Wheatland (Uncle Jimmy) will end on 8/30

That's 5 huge auctions ending in a span of 5 days. And this doesn't even include REA, VSA, Goldin, Hunt I/P, and the new Sports Auction Company... all of which end within a few days of that cluster as well.

I really hate that they are so bunched together like this. Why is July so sparse, and August so jammed? Did some researcher determine that August is the best month for auctions (for some unknown reason?)

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-27-2020, 10:42 AM

Apparently a good chunk from Woodbury :D

x2drich2000
07-27-2020, 10:55 AM
Hunt will end on 8/26
SCP will end on 8/28

That's 4 huge auctions ending in a period of 5 days. And this doesn't even include REA, Heritage, VSA, Goldin and the new Sports Auction Company, all of which end within a few days of that cluster as well.

I really hate that they are so bunched together like this. Why is July so sparse, and August so jammed? Did some researcher determine that August is the best month for auctions (for some unknown reason?)

I may be off, but a big thing to consider with auction ending late in August is the National and promoting. AH's can collect last minute submission and showcase highlights during the show. Wouldn't made sense to end the auction right before the largest show in the country and be left with an empty table and months away from another auction.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-27-2020, 02:16 PM
I may be off, but a big thing to consider with auction ending late in August is the National and promoting. AH's can collect last minute submission and showcase highlights during the show. Wouldn't made sense to end the auction right before the largest show in the country and be left with an empty table and months away from another auction.

That's enough making sense for today.

MikeGarcia
07-27-2020, 08:56 PM

"So much stuff. Kind of mind boggling. Where does it all come from."

... Allegedly ; There was some fellow in Mexico who went so far as to procure a slabbing machine and was said to be able to print realistic PSA labels with barcodes.....the cards inside the slabs were deemed really high quality counterfeits of the originals.....it was a lot of work but it was lucrative because he sold his wares to wealthy collectors through unsuspecting helpful Americans .....if this 54 ''search'' section were able to find those threads from 4 or 5 years ago , it makes for good reading....."some guy in Mexico " doesn't bring up a lot of search results.....

RCMcKenzie
07-27-2020, 09:40 PM

Steve, I used to wonder how the 93 people on here bought all of the vintage stuff, then I came to realize that there are a lot of folks on here who could have bought the Clippers if they had wanted to. It's the only explanation I've come up with. Apologies in advance for my parents, who did not instill in me the rudeness of talking about money. Robert

Jewish-collector
07-27-2020, 10:36 PM
I wish someone would explain to me how in the world collectors can keep up with so many auctions ending within a week or so of each other ?

Vintageclout
07-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Hunt will end on 8/26
SCP will end on 8/28

That's 5 huge auctions ending in a span of 5 days. And this doesn't even include REA, VSA, Goldin, Hunt I/P, and the new Sports Auction Company... all of which end within a few days of that cluster as well.

Historically speaking, the August Auction calendar is typically jammed because auction houses like to market their summer events at the National. Obviously, this year that is a moot point, but I assume most auction houses chose to stay on course with their standard schedules. FYI, Memory Lane’s Summer 2020 auction is targeted to end sometime in September.

mantlefan
07-27-2020, 10:51 PM
It seems so counter productive to end thousands of items in a 5 day period. I don't know about you guys, but I have X amount of dollars to spend in a given time period. So I'll target the items that I really want and pass on other cards that I would have bid on had they appeared a few weeks down the road.

toppcat
07-28-2020, 07:12 AM
Hunt will end on 8/26
SCP will end on 8/28

All that would have been previewed at the National.

perezfan
07-28-2020, 10:33 AM
All that would have been previewed at the National.

I get that of course...

But any rational person has known for months that there will be no summer National. You'd think that at least a few AHs would adapt, and perhaps spread it out a bit. July, for example, has been very sparse, and I bet September will be as well.

Inevitably, there will be cannibalization, with about a dozen major auctions ending in a span of 2 weeks. People will have to really prioritize what they want most, and let the "nice to have" items go by the wayside.