PDA

View Full Version : Can’t find this International Babe Ruth card anywhere

cyclo
07-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Hello everyone, I’m new here! Thanks for letting me join. :-) I was wondering if someone could assist me with some old pre war tobacco cards I own? I have a Babe Ruth (back says Fabrica Morazan, and I can’t find it anywhere), and a TON of Tabacalera La Monera boxing cards that are very much not a part of the 1928 issue I see on the internet.

Seven
07-24-2020, 10:19 AM
Hello everyone, I’m new here! Thanks for letting me join. :-) I was wondering if someone could assist me with some old pre war tobacco cards I own? I have a Babe Ruth (back says Fabrica Morazan, and I can’t find it anywhere), and a TON of Tabacalera La Monera boxing cards that are very much not a part of the 1928 issue I see on the internet.

Could you post some images? I'm sure there would be more than a few people that could help you out.

cyclo
07-24-2020, 11:31 AM
Could you post some images? I'm sure there would be more than a few people that could help you out.

Yes, here are some images. I won't post all of them as this is more of a baseball site, but here are some other examples of what I have.
Thanks. : -)

Leon
07-24-2020, 11:56 AM
I used to own a Ruth...
Neat card.

Exhibitman
07-24-2020, 12:03 PM
The World Tobacco Index lists Fabrica Morazan cards as from San Salvador, described as follows:

"M869-800 about 1925-30 Sportsmen (A) Sm. 60 x 40 Back in brown. Nd. (100)"

I'd say you have a very tough foreign type card of Ruth. You'd still want to check the paper and card for signs of modern production...and get it into a more secure holder so it doesn't get creased.

packs
07-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Is he throwing a football?

ullmandds
07-24-2020, 12:08 PM
he looks like he's dressed up to play multiple sports all at the same time...but not baseball!

cyclo
07-24-2020, 12:08 PM
Is he throwing a football?

Haha honestly I have no idea what he’s throwing

cyclo
07-24-2020, 12:15 PM
The World Tobacco Index lists Fabrica Morazan cards as from San Salvador, described as follows:

"M869-800 about 1925-30 Sportsmen (A) Sm. 60 x 40 Back in brown. Nd. (100)"

I'd say you have a very tough foreign type card of Ruth. You'd still want to check the paper and card for signs of modern production...and get it into a more secure holder so it doesn't get creased.

This actually came from an old man‘s album in El Salvador, and the album was closed/stored for awhile. That’s why the corners on the Ruth are so sharp... I will double check if there were any modern prints though. Thank you!

Leon
07-24-2020, 12:52 PM
For comparison...

From my first collection (no longer own)..and I guess yours is a different mfg with the same pic...

https://luckeycards.com/ptuncmasterFINAL1.jpg

cyclo
07-24-2020, 01:00 PM
For comparison...

From my first collection..and I guess yours is a different mfg with the same pic...

https://luckeycards.com/ptuncmasterFINAL1.jpg

Wow fascinating. So yours was from Angola... this Babe Ruth also came with a ton of other cards like it w the same type of art style. I’m assuming the mfg just got the art work from Angola, or vice versa like you said.

NiceDocter
07-24-2020, 01:55 PM
Cool card but a random guy on the street would probably look more like Babe Ruth than this guy! Jus sayin.....

cyclo
07-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Cool card but a random guy on the street would probably look more like Babe Ruth than this guy! Jus sayin.....

Haha! I agree!

Yoda
07-24-2020, 02:19 PM
Haha honestly I have no idea what he’s throwing

Could be a base.

CobbSpikedMe
07-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Not sure if this is helpful for you or not, but one of our members has the following post on his website about this set.

Click Here (https://prewarcards.com/2016/09/14/1930s-sociedade-industrial-dos-tabacos-de-angola-set-and-checklist/)

Rich Falvo
07-24-2020, 02:48 PM
PreWarCards has written about the images on Angola version of the cards.

https://prewarcards.com/2018/04/17/are-these-the-most-confusing-pre-war-cards-of-all-time/

earlywynnfan
07-24-2020, 04:58 PM
Couldn't they at least get a left-handed mannequin?

Rhotchkiss
07-24-2020, 05:17 PM
He is fully throwing a football (or a UFO). And what’s up with the glove? Very cool card though and pretty awesome that they made contemporaneous cards of Ruth in El Salvador and Angola. And holy crap, Angola? Perhaps one the most random countries around, second only to maybe Namibia to the south and Gabon to the north.

swarmee
07-24-2020, 07:46 PM
He is fully throwing a football (or a UFO). And what’s up with the glove? Very cool card though and pretty awesome that they made contemporaneous cards of Ruth in El Salvador and Angola. And holy crap, Angola? Perhaps one the most random countries around, second only to maybe Namibia to the south and Gabon to the north.
We're having this discussion in another thread. Cards were most likely manufactured in Portugal with tobacco imported from Angola.

cyclo
07-26-2020, 10:39 PM
update! i found the Salvadorian version of the Alexander card posted along with others from the set, i have the pair, although the other one is in a photo album :(

thanks for everyone's help. i assume that there was an issue in el salvador that just mirrors the angolian issue but w/ a different back.