PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Oregon: A Pictorial History of Early Oregon Sports - For Sale

Leon
07-21-2020, 03:52 PM
I received this email today and was given permission to post it. Many of you remember Brian Campf, who passed away 3 years ago. He was a forum member for a long time and his knowledge on Oregon related sports is respected by all.

Tom Booth here with OSU Press. We recently published Brian Campf’s book, Sporting Oregon: A Pictorial History of Early Oregon Sports. As I’m sure you know, Brian was an active member on your forum before his unexpected death in 2017. I appreciated reading the various tributes to him from your members.

Brian submitted the final manuscript for his book a month before he died. The project was put on hold for two years before his widow, Sandra Schmahmann, gave us her blessings and permission to proceed. Brian’s enthusiasm for collecting sports history was infectious—his passion and deep knowledge shines through on every page of his book.

I don’t know if there’s a means to do so, but we’d be happy to offer your members a 30% discount and free shipping on orders of Sporting Oregon placed through our website using the promo code CATCH. This offer is valid through 8/31/20.

http://osupress.oregonstate.edu/book/sporting-oregon

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
Tom

Tom Booth | Director
Oregon State University Press
www.osupress.oregonstate.edu

Bicem
07-21-2020, 05:40 PM
Very cool, ordered. RIP Brian.

brianp-beme
07-21-2020, 05:59 PM
Brian was a good contributor to this site, and his website was a great resource for a PCL collector like myself to learn about the history of Oregon baseball and see some great early PCL cards, postcards and photos...I have missed it.

I just ordered a copy of the book (226 pages w/325 illustrations), and the total with the free shipping and tax after the 30% discount came to just over $21.00. If it is anywhere close to the content of his website it should be well worth it. As a bonus the cover depicts a nice full color array of Obak, D311 Pacific Coast Biscuit and E100 Bishop cards.

Thanks Tom and Leon for making us aware of this, and the nice discount offer! I have included an image of the cover...hopefully this is ok.

Brian

familytoad
07-21-2020, 09:39 PM
I just ordered two copies.
Brian was a hobby friend, he and other good pals would meet up for breakfast and hours of conversation a few times a year in Portland.

I was absolutely crushed to hear of his sudden passing.
I still have difficulty with it (and JimB) when I think about it....

I’m excited to get the book and will hold it as a special remembrance.
Thank you for the offer, the discount and the PR about the book’s release.

BeanTown
07-21-2020, 11:23 PM
Looks like a great book and ordered a copy as well. Never met Brian in person, but enjoyed our correspondence thru text and email. Proud to have one of his cards that we both really liked a lot.

qed2190
07-21-2020, 11:38 PM
I just ordered mine thanks Leon

slidekellyslide
07-22-2020, 12:21 AM
Just ordered. Thanks.

RIP Brian

GaryPassamonte
07-22-2020, 03:55 AM
I'm so happy to hear this. Brian was one of the nicest people I ever dealt with.

BeanTown
07-28-2020, 04:10 PM
Just got my book in today. Wow! A lot of information and tons of great pictures. Highly recommend this book and well worth the money.

qed2190
07-30-2020, 02:20 PM
Mine came today also, terrific book.

Bicem
07-30-2020, 04:12 PM
Mine as well, really well done, what a great way to forever capture a collection.

luciobar1980
07-30-2020, 04:23 PM
I'd love to see some interior shots if someone could post! (the ones above are tiny)

slidekellyslide
07-30-2020, 06:02 PM
Got mine a few days ago. It really is excellent. I wish there was a book like this for Nebraska.

brianp-beme
07-30-2020, 06:59 PM
Started reading, but taking a break to share some images of the pages to give you a taste of its contents. Various sports are covered from the mid 1860's to the early 1920's, but its main focus in on baseball, basketball and football. Being a PCL collector it has some great images of these 1910 era sets as well.

At $21 or so a great value for folks like us.

Brian (the images are high quality and much nicer than my photos show)

Kawika
07-30-2020, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the images, Brian. I'd seen some of his collection on his website. He was really deep into some obscure and very cool regional stuff. The book looks like a keeper.