PDA

View Full Version : Huge Find!.....almost

Tao_Moko
07-19-2020, 06:41 PM
Had to share this with you because only you would appreciate the excitement. So, I take a load of trash to the local dumpsters about a half an hour ago. Sitting outside was a tote with 19th century photo albums,,...............sticking out was a newspaper clipping of a baseball club(Danville I think)! Now, I work with viral pathogens so I'm cautious these days, but took my foot and exposed the contents of the first binder. There was extensive water damage, but hundreds of news paper clippings. Also in the tote was a small box!!!!!!! My heart was racing. I open the lid slowly with a stick to expose the contents and inside were,...............shower curtain rings. Now I live near Roanoke VA and have had Contentnea finds so I had reason to be hopeful for something tobacco and even sports related. No luck this time, but man it was exciting. Maybe I'll get lucky one of these days.

RCMcKenzie
07-19-2020, 06:55 PM
Also in the tote was a small box!!!!!!! My heart was racing. I open the lid slowly with a stick to expose the contents and inside were,...............

I enjoyed reading about your adventure. I found a Brett rookie in a discount box at the 85 National at Disneyland for $3. That's about my best find. I thought you were going to say you found 'Black Swamp Find' cards. Rob

Ronnie73
07-19-2020, 11:12 PM
I had a large garbage find last summer. Unfortunately the oldest cards were from the mid 1980's. But I was surprised to find a complete set of T206 reprints within the large amount of things. Even knowing there was little chance of finding anything life changing, I still had to rescue everything. If anyone is bored, I did make a YouTube video of my findings after I had most of it in order. Later on after making the video, I found a bunch of complete Leaf baseball sets, including 6 sets from 1990. These were the hot ones back in the day with the Frank Thomas and Sammy Sosa rookies. Without factoring value, this find/rescue is one of the largest in my life. I have over the years found much smaller groups of things but with much more value. Regardless of quantity or value, it's always a great adventure when it happens and always brings out the little kid in me.

My YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/3rFObKZybZE

Leon
07-22-2020, 07:14 PM
Had to share this with you because only you would appreciate the excitement. So, I take a load of trash to the local dumpsters about a half an hour ago. Sitting outside was a tote with 19th century photo albums,,...............sticking out was a newspaper clipping of a baseball club(Danville I think)! Now, I work with viral pathogens so I'm cautious these days, but took my foot and exposed the contents of the first binder. There was extensive water damage, but hundreds of news paper clippings. Also in the tote was a small box!!!!!!! My heart was racing. I open the lid slowly with a stick to expose the contents and inside were,...............shower curtain rings. Now I live near Roanoke VA and have had Contentnea finds so I had reason to be hopeful for something tobacco and even sports related. No luck this time, but man it was exciting. Maybe I'll get lucky one of these days.

We have all been there in some form or fashion. :)

Tyruscobb
07-22-2020, 09:49 PM
As the old saying goes, “if it’s too good to be true, it probably is.”

mrvster
07-23-2020, 10:17 AM
Great story!!

never give up the good fight.....:D

I'm still waiting for my Wagner to show up in the trash one day:D

Tao_Moko
07-23-2020, 10:35 AM
Great story!!

never give up the good fight.....:D

I'm still waiting for my Wagner to show up in the trash one day:D

I have this feeling that you might be serious, but I do understand. I'll send positive vibes your way and maybe one day it will come true. Might be more realistic to do one of those ancestry things and hope you're a distant relative of that Rothkiss guy and butter him up for putting you in his will.

mrvster
07-23-2020, 10:38 AM
I have already contacted him!!! lol

and yes!! the search continues:D:)

thank you my friend:D