PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Stars Variation

brewing
07-12-2020, 01:36 PM
I noticed a difference between these Diamond Star cards of Tommy Bridges.

Both have blue writing backs with 1935 stats.

The card on left has taller red background (look at hat) and the card on right has bolder font.

Is this a printing flaw or something consistent?
https://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=749&pictureid=28565

swarmee
07-12-2020, 04:25 PM
Case of bad registration.

doug.goodman
07-12-2020, 06:36 PM
Case of bad registration.

I disagree.

If bad registration were the case, then there would be red overlapping the yellow of the building, the white of the uniform and the socks would be moved.

gonzo
07-12-2020, 06:55 PM
It could be a double print. This sheet from a different Diamond Stars series shows that some cards were multi-printed on a single sheet. The two versions could be slightly different, similar to the 52 Topps Mantle.

Edited to add link to example sheet.
https://www.number5typecollection.com/2017/05/1935-diamond-stars-uncut-test-sheet-and.html

brianp-beme
07-12-2020, 07:39 PM
I disagree.

If bad registration were the case, then there would be red overlapping the yellow of the building, the white of the uniform and the socks would be moved.

There does appear to be a line of red beneath the bill of his cap.

Brian

brianp-beme
07-12-2020, 07:50 PM
Looking at the cards closer, besides the black being bolder on his name, on the card it is overall bolder (note shoes) and appears that it is registered 'higher'...also note the thickness of his belt. Perhaps Tommy's out of register pointy head has poked his cap higher up on the red background as well.

Brian

steve B
07-13-2020, 11:45 PM
There is some registration stuff going on. But I'd have to measure a few things to be sure if that's the whole problem.

To me it also looks like black was printed under the red. That would be unusual, but not unheard of.

If I can get the computer away from the kids tomorrow I'll give a try at measuring. It's not easy, but with a flat screen and digital caliper I can get pretty close sometimes.

doug.goodman
07-14-2020, 12:48 PM
It could be a double print. This sheet from a different Diamond Stars series shows that some cards were multi-printed on a single sheet. The two versions could be slightly different, similar to the 52 Topps Mantle.

Edited to add link to example sheet.
https://www.number5typecollection.com/2017/05/1935-diamond-stars-uncut-test-sheet-and.html

Exactly.

G1911
07-14-2020, 02:09 PM
The registration is definitely off; look at the red on his face.

I cannot find a cropping difference from projection differences between two copies of the card on a sheet searching online. I doubt it's this, as if it was, they should be equally or nearly equally common. Or maybe my eyes just don't work right.

doug.goodman
07-14-2020, 03:48 PM
The registration is definitely off; look at the red on his face.

Then why is it not off around the buildings and on his socks?

This is a different printing of the same card, the area above the hat, and the lack of registration issues around the buildings and on the socks, are the proof.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-14-2020, 04:31 PM
Even if it is a legit variation (and I don't feel it is one, look at the registration in his face, hand and the buildings) it's a Diamond Star there are SERIOUS variations of HOF'ers that command virtually no premium.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-14-2020, 04:32 PM
Then why is it not off around the buildings and on his socks?

This is a different printing of the same card, the area above the hat, and the lack of registration issues around the buildings and on the socks, are the proof.

Um it IS off on the buildings and the socks.

doug.goodman
07-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Um it IS off on the buildings and the socks.

There are parts of the red that seem off in regards to the buildings (right side of buildings) which could lead one to think it's a registration issue.

But, on the left side of the buildings, everything seems to be lined up to me. Also, the left edge of all the colors lines up, which causes me to think it is not a registration issue.

It seems to me that a registration issue should effect the entire card, not just parts of it, that is why I am of the opinion that there were two printings of the card.

Doug "but my eyes are getting old, so who knows?" Goodman