PDA

View Full Version : T3s or Other Cards with Landmarks Visible

GeoPoto
07-12-2020, 04:31 AM
I recently noticed that two of my T3 cabinets appear to have iconic national landmarks in the background artwork. It has me wondering if others have similar examples.

Walter Johnson's T3 includes what resembles a hazy U.S. Capitol building in its background. The resemblance is strong and when coupled with WaJo's status as Washington's top pitcher, it would seem likely that the artist intended to include the Capitol in his (or her) rendition of Johnson on the mound.

The Capitol image on the Johnson card seems even more certain when we also examine the T3 of Barney's battery mate, Gabby Street. The Old Sarge's T3 shows a larger and more distinct profile of the U.S. Capitol and also includes an image of what could be the Washington Monument. It seems certain that by the time the artwork was created for his 1911 T3, Street's reputation included his 1908 feat of catching a ball pitched off the top of the Washington Monument.

This leads me to speculate that we have two cards reflecting the Capitol, one of which may also include the Washington Monument. Does anybody think I am imagining it? Anybody got similar examples of cards that include recognizable landmarks?
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=408885&stc=1&d=1594549373
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=408886&stc=1&d=1594549381

jcmtiger
07-12-2020, 08:38 AM
None on my 8 Detroit T3’s.

gonzo
07-12-2020, 09:03 AM
There was another thread some time back about the T206 Burch having the Statue of Liberty in the background.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=206562

Also, I believe that the building in the background on the Diamond Stars card of Detroit’s Tom Bridges is a stylized Fisher Building. Pics below.

BeanTown
07-12-2020, 09:40 AM
The Hubel Hotel in Detroit

toppcat
07-12-2020, 10:00 AM
I sold my T206's a while back but recall at least one Brooklyn player had Trinity Church (Manhattan) in the background.

Mark17
07-12-2020, 06:48 PM
Kid Elberfeld has the Washington Monument near his knee.

brianp-beme
07-13-2020, 01:53 AM
I sold my T206's a while back but recall at least one Brooklyn player had Trinity Church (Manhattan) in the background.

Is it this Burch?

Brian (card not mine)

GeoPoto
07-13-2020, 04:50 AM
Kid Elberfeld has the Washington Monument near his knee.

My Elberfeld is not as clear (at least my scan isn't) so I wasn't confident enough to include him in my post, but your scan convinces me. Thanks for posting.

GeoPoto
07-13-2020, 04:52 AM
Is it this Burch?

Great example!

toppcat
07-13-2020, 01:35 PM
Is it this Burch?

Brian (card not mine)

Bingo!

That has to be the Washington Monument in the left side skyline behind Gabby Street on his T3. Not much was that tall back then in DC and it lines up to the Capitol building opposite, which is really cool!

xplainer
07-14-2020, 07:43 AM
Great thread.
I got to look closer at mine.

slantycouch
07-14-2020, 08:08 AM
Very cool thread! Love seeing "new" things on old cards.

nat
07-14-2020, 08:10 AM
Given the angles of the Capitol and the Washington Monument, you should be able to figure out precisely where in town Street is standing.

mouschi
07-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Very good idea of a thread!

judsonhamlin
07-14-2020, 10:14 AM
Given the angles of the Capitol and the Washington Monument, you should be able to figure out precisely where in town Street is standing.

Probably would be close to the current ballpark in SW DC

toppcat
07-14-2020, 12:09 PM
Probably would be close to the current ballpark in SW DC

I checked Green Cathedrals and National Park/Boundary Field was on the same site where Griffith Stadium was later built, and was home to the team at the time. It was North and not South of the National Mall though, so it appears reversed if it was meant to depict an actual background.

Benjamin Banneker Park environs maybe for the skyline then, which is a little Southeast of the Tidal Basin near the Case Memorial Bridge and has the proper angle.

I'm wondering if one of the other buildings would be part of the Smithsonian now. There's still a couple of old ones in that complex. Probably just fanciful artistry in a way but it's neat the way it was worked in.

brianp-beme
07-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Not sure if any landmarks/buildings are identifiable, but here are some 1910 and 1911 Obak cards with non-grandstand 'structures' in the background. I have grouped the players by team...maybe somebody can identify something.

I like the Bodie card with the windmill in the background.

Brian

GeoPoto
07-21-2020, 06:47 AM
(I'm only seeing three cards and no Bodie/windmill, but that's not why I am responding.) I don't know anything about Washington State landmarks (accept Mount Rainier is shockingly beautiful when it reveals itself), but it is fascinating that the artist(s) created three very similar cards showing three players all playing for the same team, all posing at bat on a green field, but all showing very detailed and different structures in the background. Makes you suspect they are (were) landmarks that would have been recognized by the locals at the time.

GeoPoto
07-21-2020, 08:38 AM
When I go in now, I still only see three cards, but they are different than the three I was seeing when I made my previous comments. Still no windmill.

dlfallen
07-21-2020, 09:43 AM
There are four photos, each with 3-4 cards.

For now, I would suggest using a different browser. On my tablet, using the Google browser I see either no photos or one of them. Using either the Dolphin browser or the Samsung browser I see all four photos.

I think the problem stems from Net54's current website troubles. Using the Android version of Google, and the desktop versions of Google and Firefox, I get a security warning. Here is the one from Firefox:

This website might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox. Enabling TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 might allow this connection to succeed.

TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be permanently disabled in a future release.

The Google warnings see also to be related to the TLS protocol.

mrvster
07-23-2020, 10:15 AM
Looks CREEPY !!LOL:):D