PDA

View Full Version : System Updates Thread ...7/21/20 . Security and Pictures

Leon
07-07-2020, 07:50 PM
*** go to my last post for most current updates

I will update this post very soon.

We have had a major database crash and it's being worked on.

Leon
07-07-2020, 08:01 PM
For the last 3 1/2 hours I have been on and off the phone with our hosting company. There was a MYSQL error (a database) and some files were corrupted. The last backup was done at around noon today. Data after that was not able to be retrieved. My apologies.

Due to this I am in talks at this minute with someone to upgrade our main s/w so this won't happen again. It probably should have been done but the shit to equity ratio wasn't there yet, now it is.

We will be going to the latest version of our software and there might be some planned downtime...which is much better than unplanned.

And they tell me the database isn't perfectly stable right now (fingers crossed).

clydepepper
07-07-2020, 08:14 PM
You Da Man Leon!

Leon
07-07-2020, 08:16 PM
We might have lost some data that will really upset me. It's being worked on and I don't know if it can be retrieved or not.

There will need to be some threads redone I am afraid.

scooter729
07-07-2020, 08:29 PM
As a result of this outage, the next Goldin Auction end date will be postponed indefiintely.

Leon
07-07-2020, 08:33 PM
I am having a database person look at this tomorrow at noon time (but possibly later tonight). There is a chance we get stuff back but I am always a bit pessimistic.

There are some spots on the forum that are shaky right now, database wise. All I can say is sorry for the issues and it's being worked on as quickly as possible.

HawkFan70
07-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Leon - I really appreciate all the work you do to to keep this site going!

clamendo
07-07-2020, 08:36 PM
I will update this post very soon.

We have had a major database crash and it's being worked on.

I lost my post and a PM someone sent me. I’ll repost when the site seems stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon
07-07-2020, 08:37 PM
Leon - I really appreciate all the work you do to to keep this site going!

No problem....there is some money made (now) so I feel a responsibility to have it be the best it can be.

What a lot of folks don't know is that when I started doing this there was no monetization whatsoever, for close to 2 yrs.
I just wanted to have a good place to talk about vintage baseball cards. So I take it personally when this kind of stuff happens. At minimum the s/w will have a total upgrade...same software, just the newest version. I don't think (not positive) there will be aesthetic changes. The general look and feel won't change.

I know the search database is corrupt and not working right now. But honestly, it never worked great in the first place. Maybe the latest version will be better...

Leon
07-08-2020, 02:24 PM
test

Knock on wood, crossing my fingers we are back up and running. More to come later....been a bit stressful over here. Sorry fo the huge issues.

doug.goodman
07-08-2020, 02:33 PM
test

Knock on wood, crossing my fingers we are back up and running. More to come later....been a bit stressful over here. Sorry fo the huge issues.

We don't fault you Leon, we appreciate all your hard work trying to restore the little world you created for us.

vintagebaseballcardguy
07-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Thank you for all of your effort, Leon.

Jim65
07-08-2020, 02:35 PM
Thank you for all of your effort, Leon.

+1

Leon
07-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys but I can't tell you how horrible I feel about this. It is partly my fault and I am doing everything possible so it doesn't happen again. In ALL OF THIS MESS, we will end up losing a total amount of 4 hours of data. That is from yesterday at about noon to 4 to 430.....because the backup was done at noon and that was what was recovered.

Leon
07-08-2020, 03:03 PM
test

Chuck9788
07-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Leon, you and your great team are a cute reason why I enjoy theirs website so much. I want to thank you guys for everything!

vintagebaseballcardguy
07-08-2020, 03:05 PM
Shake it off, Leon. Nothing or no one is perfect. I really appreciate having N54.

Natswin2019
07-08-2020, 03:09 PM
It's all good Leon, we really appreciate all you do to keep Net 54 going!

Bocabirdman
07-08-2020, 03:17 PM
I still cannot re-post scans on my auctions..........

Leon
07-08-2020, 03:19 PM
It is continuing to be a bit of a problem. It is up and ok at the moment and being monitored. FYI, this started with a BruteForce attack on our site. So it was a malicious attack that started these issues. Then they compounded due to some antiquated parts of the s/w....and that is being addressed but I want the system to be stable and up for a day or two before the upgrade. Thanks for everyone's patience.

Leon
07-08-2020, 03:21 PM
I still cannot re-post scans on my auctions..........

I see that. I will open the ticket back up......

The internal attachment (*pic) system is not working at the moment but if you host somewhere else it does...I* just posted a pic in the auction BST test thread...

Rich Klein
07-08-2020, 03:31 PM
It is continuing to be a bit of a problem. It is up and ok at the moment and being monitored. FYI, this started with a BruteForce attack on our site. So it was a malicious attack that started these issues. Then they compounded due to some antiquated parts of the s/w....and that is being addressed but I want the system to be stable and up for a day or two before the upgrade. Thanks for everyone's patience.

And I thought it was my fault for creating yesterday's thread. I think I'll go back to Facebook for controversial posts :)

Rich

sb1
07-08-2020, 03:34 PM
I just replied to a party's post for a card, I attached the scans as usual but they are not showing up. I will refresh in a while and see if they appear.

Leon
07-08-2020, 03:35 PM
And I thought it was my fault for creating yesterday's thread. I think I'll go back to Facebook for controversial posts :)

Rich

It certainly wasn't your fault and the thread was fine.

We are still working on the system and hope to get it fixed enough so we can upgrade it. It will happen but could be a little more pain getting there...

Rich Klein
07-08-2020, 03:41 PM
It certainly wasn't your fault and the thread was fine.

We are still working on the system and hope to get it fixed enough so we can upgrade it. It will happen but could be a little more pain getting there...

I know on that I was just trying to lighten your mood ;) I know I get frustrated when I have computer issues at work so I'm with you on that front.

See you Friday :)

Rich

Leon
07-08-2020, 03:45 PM
I just replied to a party's post for a card, I attached the scans as usual but they are not showing up. I will refresh in a while and see if they appear.

At this moment the attachment pics are not working. It is being looked at now. Until then you can host on another site as I did in the Auction BST section test thread, if possible.... ....the Bender shows from my own personal site but the one I tried to upload to this site didn't work. Again, it is being looked at now....

sb1
07-08-2020, 04:02 PM
Thanks just wanted to let you know. I contacted the poster and emailed him the pics.

ramram
07-08-2020, 04:17 PM
Don't worry, it's just a virus....

Leon
07-08-2020, 07:41 PM
The system still isn't perfect and to me it looks some old attachments aren't being shown, at least yet. We are still working on it and it seems to be getting better for this moment :) .

... I will keep updating this thread. The goal is to get the system fixed and working and then upgrade immediately after that. I don't want to say much else because before I hit the submit reply button below here, things could change.

Here is a new one uploaded through our system. And I am aware that our community photo albums are not working right now. This too is being worked on and is part of the same attachment issue, though this could be a php issue on top of it.

cubman1941
07-09-2020, 04:50 AM
Leon,
Appreciate all your efforts and your patience through all this.

Jim

GoldenAge50s
07-09-2020, 05:08 AM
--your desire to keep a top-notch website is GREATLY appreciated! Net 54 is a JOY to belong to & visit on a daily basis!

BruceinGa
07-09-2020, 05:14 AM
Being somewhat familiar with sw upgrades/patches etc and the possibilities of how bad they can go, I think the results could be a lot worse.
Thanks for what you do!

xplainer
07-09-2020, 06:08 AM
I did lose some pics from a BST listing.
But I just uploaded them again with no issue.
Thanks.

rjackson44
07-09-2020, 06:14 AM
Thx leon no issues bst

BeanTown
07-09-2020, 09:37 AM
Thanks for doing a great job running the board Leon. Not sure what Bruteforce is, as I am not enet savy. Did they go after other chat boards, on the same platform to? Keep up the good work.

Leon
07-09-2020, 12:04 PM
I am aware the site just went down for a few minutes. Sorry once again. This was a Windows SVR 2008 issue. Another upgrade we are doing asap.....

The tech didn't even ask my name :)

Fred
07-09-2020, 12:09 PM
The tech didn't even ask my name :)

Assuming the tech knows your voice by now... :p

Leon
07-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Assuming the tech knows your voice by now... :p

Oh Yeah...he picks up the phone and I say hello...he says Hi Leon....yeah, they know me.

Concerning the major attachment loss that has happened including our whole community photo album, the hosting company is doing a restore from 24 hours before these problems started. All of this is being done with the offline backups they keep. I had to pick a time and that was the least loss....and it isn't for sure either. The files could be majorly corrupted beyond repair. I have a DBA person that might be able to help some too. We really need to get squared away before we upgrade. More updates as I know them. And to reiterate, any downtime will be scheduled at very off hours. And hopefully our next downtime is scheduled. I wouldn't bet on it though., :o

bobbyw8469
07-09-2020, 12:26 PM
Oh Yeah...he picks up the phone and I say hello...he says Hi Leon....yeah, they know me.

Concerning the major attachment loss that has happened including our whole community photo album, the hosting company is doing a restore from 24 hours before these problems started. All of this is being done with the offline backups they keep. I had to pick a time and that was the least loss....and it isn't for sure either. The files could be majorly corrupted beyond repair. I have a DBA person that might be able to help some too. We really need to get squared away before we upgrade. More updates as I know them. And to reiterate, any downtime will be scheduled at very off hours. And hopefully our next downtime is scheduled. I wouldn't bet on it though., :o

I'm confused why someone would want to send an attack on your site. We are all cardboard nerds. What's the point?

BeanTown
07-09-2020, 02:50 PM
I'm confused why someone would want to send an attack on your site. We are all cardboard nerds. What's the point?

Possibly a disgruntle member or someone with an interest in seeing this site go down. I hope you don't lose all your relatively with the seach engine spiders. Whenever you do a keyword search with baseball cards, this platform seems to always pop up in top 10 with former discussions. Now who would benfit if net54 loss decades of these threads?

Exhibitman
07-09-2020, 03:12 PM

True...though it would make a pretty good satirical mockumentary on the crazy cardboard nerds and their life and death feuding over baseball cards. I want to be played by George Clooney...but I suspect it would be Jeff Garlin.

Leon
07-09-2020, 08:32 PM
The hosting company retrieved some picture/attachment data from a backup from one day before this stuff started happening. I am not sure how much but they are going to install it in our system at 3AM EST 7/10/2020 and we will taken off line (DOWN) at that time. It should be for about an hour. Hopefully this works or we can try another day back. Once we get this current system in good enough shape, get rid/fix corrupted files etc... we will do the upgrades. My intention is as soon as possible. The system has been a little shaky today as many will have seen it go down for a few minutes here or there. Each time I made a call and asked them to kick the server to get it going again. But that is getting old real quick. That is where we are at...thanks for everyone's patience.

PS...hosting company has a very good online tech support ticket system. But calling and getting someone to help "now" is quicker. :)

Tom S.
07-09-2020, 09:12 PM

Crazy isn't it? As long as we don't say uncle we should get through this okay.

Thanks Leon for everything you're doing to keep the site stable!

brianp-beme
07-10-2020, 12:57 AM
As we head into the two minute warning, I will cross my fingers and toes and wish the forum the best of luck!

Brian

Leon
07-10-2020, 07:07 AM
It looks like we got a lot of pictures back. WE did not get the community picture albums yet. I will look into getting that section back too. Other than community picture album not working (yet, hopefully) I would like to hear other issues being seen? And the system is still a bit wobbly and might be until we get these upgrades done. I have someone lined up this weekend to do the upgrades, if the outstanding issues get resolved first . OR if they won't be able to be resolved. Still some unknowns....

dstudeba
07-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Possibly a disgruntle member or someone with an interest in seeing this site go down. I hope you don't lose all your relatively with the seach engine spiders. Whenever you do a keyword search with baseball cards, this platform seems to always pop up in top 10 with former discussions. Now who would benfit if net54 loss decades of these threads?

Possibly, but it could also easily be someone trying out an attack based on the software that is used. I would think it would be more likely they were going after the username/password combinations. Just a guess because the information on this site is important to such a small group of folks so why target it?

As for the search, you will still be able to search fine. Especially since most of the searches you do are relatively esoteric and isn't really found many places on the web. Despite the site become overly T206 heavy in recent years there is a great deal of interesting information held in these pages since Elliot started the board.

Leon
07-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Hey Folks
I think I am going to shoot myself :).....Can't really say how this is going to go. I am sorry. I am constantly talking to folks. There are corrupted files that just aren't coming back.

brianp-beme
07-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Weloome Back Folks! No shooting of ourselves allowed.

Brian

Leon
07-11-2020, 05:32 PM
Weloome Back Folks! No shooting of ourselves allowed.

Brian

I am becoming a skeleton from stress. :) ..... I was on the phone with the hosting company at 445 this morning...and lots of other times before and after....Even my prescription trazodone (for sleeping) isn't working.... :eek:
A lot of pictures won't be up right now but we are still hopeful in getting them back...

brianp-beme
07-11-2020, 05:39 PM
I am becoming a skeleton from stress. :) ..... I was on the phone with the hosting company at 445 this morning...and lots of other times before and after....Even my prescription trazodone (for sleeping) isn't working.... :eek:

Thanks for all the efforts Leon, but stay away from the 'Stress Diet'. It is probably just a passing fad, and could have serious ramifications as well.

Brian

conor912
07-11-2020, 05:42 PM
Maybe injecting bleach will help.

Leon
07-11-2020, 05:47 PM

It didn't.

bmattioli
07-11-2020, 05:54 PM
As a 36 year Telecom Tech I feel your pain. Sorry can't help you technically but hang in there and fight the good fight.

Net54 Rocks!!

Fred
07-11-2020, 05:57 PM
Hey Folks
I think I am going to shoot myself :).....Can't really say how this is going to go. I am sorry. I am constantly talking to folks. There are corrupted files that just aren't coming back.

Leon,

Before you shoot, can you please make sure that I'm in your will. I wouldn't mind having a card in my collection with LL provenance. 20 years from now I'll be able to say that I have a LL card in my collection. :p :D

I think most of the board members understand, and if they don't, then the only advice to be given is to take a deep breath, count to 10 and hit the refresh button or start a Leon "go fund me" page to pay for the mental health bill that is coming...

Cliff Bowman
07-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Maybe Corn Pop has a database background.

Leon
07-11-2020, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the sympathy, guys.

To give a tiny explanation the situation is compounded by old s/w and a brute force attack. And as anyone vaguely familiar with this stuff knows, one thing leads to another and another and so on. Now we have some badly corrupted attacment files. I am hopeful the system stays up at this point and that's about all I can say right now.

And hopefully sooner than later we recover the other files. Just can't tell right now.

clydepepper
07-11-2020, 06:20 PM
So far so good. Thanks for your hard work, Leon.

We appreciate you...and love this site!

doug.goodman
07-11-2020, 06:22 PM
True...though it would make a pretty good satirical mockumentary on the crazy cardboard nerds and their life and death feuding over baseball cards. I want to be played by George Clooney...but I suspect it would be Jeff Garlin.

I think Weird Al would make a good "Doug"...

wolf441
07-11-2020, 07:32 PM
Anyone who's been on NET54 for any length of time knows how much effort you put into this site.

I thank you for giving us a place to come to where we can enjoy our hobby with folks that are passionate about collecting. Stuff can always be rebuilt/replaced. Stay healthy and sane!

Best,

Steve

hcv123
07-11-2020, 07:38 PM
Don't sweat the small stuff........and

It's ALL small stuff!

A day at a time my friend - do the best you can. Take a deep breath and know that you have built something appreciated by many.

gabrinus
07-11-2020, 07:54 PM
Thanks for busting your ass Leon!!...a lot of us use this site as our archive...especially of cards we no longer have...and scans on computers we no longer have...Jerry

Rhotchkiss
07-11-2020, 08:27 PM
Hang in there Leon, we all appreciate the effort and sympathize with the stress. If there is anything we can do, just ask - we are a community of diverse talents and abilities, who will likely do whatever they/we can to help. Just ask and I would bet many would be happy to help.

And I just saw the sticky post about systems administrators, nice! Unfortunately, I am horrible with technology.

Eric72
07-11-2020, 08:52 PM
Hi, Leon.

I echo the sentiments expressed by many. We truly appreciate all that you do for us through your excellent stewardship of this site.

You provide us with a corner of the Internet where we can share our love for the hobby...with people who don't consider it odd to chase down century-old cardboard.

We understand you're doing everything possible to get the technology issues resolved. Keep up the the great work.

Den*nis O*Brien
07-12-2020, 06:10 AM
It didn't.

.....a very powerful light...you know...like inside.
But very seriously Thank You very much for making this place available to all of us. Certainly we can live with the occasional SNAFU. And I am sure everyone understands the torture and work you go through to keep this ship right side up !! Thank you Leon and moderators !!!

Leon
07-13-2020, 02:54 PM
We have an OBC person, Wayne, looking at the DB Files right now. OBC guys rock. :)
It is not an easy process but he is going to try to pinpoint the corrupted files and manually fix them. There are no guarantees.
And if anyone can tell me if they see anything wacky except some pictures and the whole community picture album missing, I would appreciate it? Again. we have to get the system fixed and stable before we upgrade. And keeping the system up is my main goal....

Copa7
07-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Leon,

I'm late to the news. I don't check in here every day. But I'm reading that our picture albums are wiped out?

Should I try to reload and build it again or wait until everything is fixed?

I appreciate this isn't your priority. I hope all goes well.

Cheers

Leon
07-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Leon,

I'm late to the news. I don't check in here every day. But I'm reading that our picture albums are wiped out?

Should I try to reload and build it again or wait until everything is fixed?

I appreciate this isn't your priority. I hope all goes well.

Cheers

I think I would wait for now. It isn't working properly at all. It is the main thing we are trying to fix along with some other pictures. Should know in the next day or two if there will be success or not....

ALBB
07-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Appreciate you keeping the site afloat !

Leon
07-15-2020, 10:42 AM
There has been another attack a little while ago.....

We are addressing it. It is not just at us.....it is widespread.....

and ways are being investigated to fix these attacks for good too.. Wish me luck :)

cubman1941
07-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Dang, Leon, this is just rubbish. I certainly do appreciate all your efforts in keeping us up and running!!!

Seven
07-15-2020, 02:22 PM
There has been another attack a little while ago.....

We are addressing it. It is not just at us.....it is widespread.....

and ways are being investigated to fix these attacks for good too.. Wish me luck :)

Thanks for all you do, Leon. Sorry to hear this has been such a headache!

Leon
07-16-2020, 12:44 PM
Quick update

Still looking into fixing the current issues. As far as I am aware the issues are only some pictures (maybe quite a few) and the community tab, photo album pictures. if there are other things that are missing please PM me or post it here.

With the help of a few members quite a few database issues have been fixed. The system seems quite a bit faster today.
There was a conference call today with the hosting company for some more more reliable and secure solutions. Probably our own private physical server and more secure firewall. And we are still looking at minimally upgrading our current s/w version ..or maybe go a whole two iterations newer to the most current s/w. The look of the forum should stay the same. That is the goal.
Thanks for everyone's patience.

ps...so when the page reloaded for this particular post it was sketchy. Needless to say everything is still being looked at and worked on as we go..... (fingers crossed)

bnorth
07-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Quick update

Still looking into fixing the current issues. As far as I am aware the issues are only some pictures (maybe quite a few) and the community tab, photo album pictures. if there are other things that are missing please PM me or post it here.

With the help of a few members quite a few database issues have been fixed. The system seems quite a bit faster and today.
There was a conference call today, with the hosting company. for some more more reliable and secure solutions. Probably our own private physical server and more secure firewall. And we are still looking at minimally upgrading our current s/w version ..or maybe go a whole two iterations newer to the most current s/w. The look of the forum should stay the same. that is the goal.
Thanks for everyone's patience.

ps...so when the page reloaded for this particular post it was sketchy. Needless to say everything is still being looked at and worked on as we go..... (fingers crossed)

It was a few days ago. I had some PMs disappear and didn't get email notifications on a few. Been working good for me since.

steve B
07-16-2020, 08:12 PM
It's a bit surprising the ISP isn't more helpful. But then failure to keep hosted data secure as an upsell opportunity is sooo software industry.

Leon
07-18-2020, 07:09 AM
Had a conference call with the hosting company yesterday. We will most likely be moving to our own physical server. That should make us almost immune from the Brute force and other attacks.

We are trying to retrieve pictures between 7/6/2020 and 7/12?/2020.

The Community photo album might have been damaged beyond repair or erased altogether. It is still being looked at and by Monday or Tuesday we should know for sure.

That said, the Community photo album does look like it is working correctly at the moment, as far as loading new pics. I just loaded one and it worked. I don't want to promise anything but that is it for now.

And of course right after this post the system went down for a few minutes. I was back on the phone with them :).

cubman1941
07-18-2020, 07:18 AM
Gosh. Leon, I sure do thank you for all your efforts in getting this right.

Joe_G.
07-18-2020, 10:40 AM
I do hope you are able to retrieve the Community "Pictures and Albums". I must have had hundreds of images to support information sharing with forum over the years. Without the images many of my posts have limited value (some might argue the same even with the images).

At any rate, hoping you are able to retrieve all the images for those who took the time to post them and those who take the time to view them.

Good Luck!

davidb
07-18-2020, 06:30 PM
Leon,

We're Luckey to have you. Thans!

steve B
07-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Sounds like they weren't really doing backups.

Not what I'd continue with.

Leon
07-18-2020, 08:59 PM
Sounds like they weren't really doing backups.

Not what I'd continue with.

I will do what I think is best for the forum and my sanity. They were doing backups but it was automated and they backed up a crashed site. Those things are being addressed.

Ronnie73
07-19-2020, 12:16 AM
It's a bit surprising the ISP isn't more helpful. But then failure to keep hosted data secure as an upsell opportunity is sooo software industry.

It usually depends on the hosting company and the package you sign up for. I was so unhappy with the service and costs that back in 2003 I started buying my own servers. So basically I only paid for a cable and DSL connection each month. For what I was doing at the time, I saved a lot of money and learned a lot too. Biggest issue was nearly every three months, a better faster server would be released. There's just no way to keep up. Currently I have a dedicated server with GoDaddy running Windows and Microsoft SQL because I've always had issues with jet databases or mySQL because they couldn't handle large amounts of data and would usually timeout before a read/write could happen. Service with GoDaddy is not much different than how it used to be many years ago. A few months ago I had a problem with my database password expiring but didn't know that it was set on a timer. So I would literally get an error as if the server wasn't even plugged in. It was like Microsoft SQL was deleted. They refused to even say one word to me or even say something like, maybe your password expired lol. The way I felt at the time was disappointing, especially for how much I was paying per month. It also made me feel like if I was paying the extra $200 per month for a support team, that it would be questionable if they would even know anything. Plus after they would tell me to try something, I'm still the one applying fixes on the server. That's why I stayed away from that package. All they do is apply Microsoft updates, which technically can be set up to automatically run on it's own. I think it was only $10 lol.

I wish I knew of a place with reasonable pricing, knowledge, and unlimited options. This is probably the exact same thing Leon needs too.

Leon, thank you for everything you do. You never get enough recognition running this site. There's noting worse than failed hardware. Which seems like was the original issue, which then corrupted database files. There should always be a hardware Raid configuration when working with large databases. Having the right configuration will alert a hardware failure and a hot swap hard drive replacement can be done with no data loss and no down time. I like to use Raid 5 or Raid 6. The only difference is Raid 5 only allows one hard drive failure at a time, while Raid 6 allows 2 hard drive failures at the same time. Raid 6 cost more because more hard drives are involved. Frequent off-site backups are always recommended for catastrophic events such as fire, theft, or natural disaster. I just wanted to mention these few things because I read that you were looking into a more advanced hosting package.

AddieJoss
07-19-2020, 09:15 AM
Leon, like everyone else, I appreciate what you provide on Net54. I’m not sure if it’s related, but when I logon, in the URL area, it’s says “not secure”. I believe a security certificate makes it secure. I know that doesn’t solve everything but an easy fix and will definitely help. Just a quick thought.

Leon
07-19-2020, 09:23 AM
Leon, like everyone else, I appreciate what you provide on Net54. I’m not sure if it’s related, but when I logon, in the URL area, it’s says “not secure”. I believe a security certificate makes it secure. I know that doesn’t solve everything but an easy fix and will definitely help. Just a quick thought.

It is secure. Click on the url and you will see the https....on a cell phone it shows the lock. WE have old links that are http and not https which is why you don't see the lock.....hopefully that can get figured out too but not too important as the secure certificate is there...

RedSox3
07-19-2020, 12:31 PM
There's a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate in place, effective for about another 6 months.

A utility website, http://whynopadlock.com (enter net54baseball.com and click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox) shows that all the pieces of the puzzle are in place except one:

"Protocols: You currently have TLSv1 enabled. This version of TLS is being phased out. This warning won't break your padlock, however if you run an eCommerce site, PCI requirements state that TLSv1 must be disabled by June 30, 2018."

This doesn't sound like something we can fix ourselves, and the web hosting system administrators should probably do something about it.

What we found on the OBC site was that if there are any references to "http://" in any script producing a web page in the net54baseball.com domain, they should be changed to "https://" in the program script files. OBC had several dozen of those protocols that needed to be changed. I don't think users can easily change the vBulletin script files, and any changes would be overwritten when a newer version of vBulletin is installed.

In the meantime, as Leon said, even though the browser warns "Not secure," it'll behave like a regular secure website.

Best,
WMD

Wayne Delia, Webmaster, OBC (Old Baseball Cards), https://oldbaseball.com

Leon
07-19-2020, 01:01 PM
There's a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate in place, effective for about another 6 months.

A utility website, http://whynopadlock.com (enter net54baseball.com and click the "I'm not a robot" checkbox) shows that all the pieces of the puzzle are in place except one:

"Protocols: You currently have TLSv1 enabled. This version of TLS is being phased out. This warning won't break your padlock, however if you run an eCommerce site, PCI requirements state that TLSv1 must be disabled by June 30, 2018."

This doesn't sound like something we can fix ourselves, and the web hosting system administrators should probably do something about it.

What we found on the OBC site was that if there are any references to "http://" in any script producing a web page in the net54baseball.com domain, they should be changed to "https://" in the program script files. OBC had several dozen of those protocols that needed to be changed. I don't think users can easily change the vBulletin script files, and any changes would be overwritten when a newer version of vBulletin is installed.

In the meantime, as Leon said, even though the browser warns "Not secure," it'll behave like a regular secure website.

Best,
WMD

Wayne Delia, Webmaster, OBC (Old Baseball Cards), https://oldbaseball.com

Hey Wayne
The hosting company is currently restoring the attachment DB and doing what you had said to do. It is taking quite a bit of time..

I am not sure how to fix the HTTPS/lock issue as we have thousands (probably) of links that are http....
thanks again

Ronnie73
07-19-2020, 11:50 PM
I am not sure how to fix the HTTPS/lock issue as we have thousands (probably) of links that are http....
thanks again

I've used a program in the past from funduc.com that's a search and replace application. I've used it for similar changes such as updating a copyright date. It searches all the code and gives you the option to view each found example and apply the change one by one or you can change everything found with one click. It's also helpful when searching for certain code within a website and finding exactly what you were searching for and where it is. It saves a ton of time, especially when your dealing with a website that has many files. One of my websites has over 2500 files of code and it worked super fast every time I ever used it.

Leon
07-20-2020, 06:22 AM
I've used a program in the past from funduc.com that's a search and replace application. I've used it for similar changes such as updating a copyright date. It searches all the code and gives you the option to view each found example and apply the change one by one or you can change everything found with one click. It's also helpful when searching for certain code within a website and finding exactly what you were searching for and where it is. It saves a ton of time, especially when your dealing with a website that has many files. One of my websites has over 2500 files of code and it worked super fast every time I ever used it.

Thanks Ron. I will look into it

I am also very aware of the issues the site security warning when logging in. They are being addressed. The site does have a security certificate. Just click through the security stuff. It only has to do with old http vs. https code. And on a mobile phone the lock shows.

Just spoke to the hosting company again...915am CST....they have applied the latest security cert but since they are not positive it will fix this I don't want to take the site down now for a reboot to apply the fix. The reboot is going to be done at 3am EST.....

Rich Klein
07-20-2020, 08:23 AM
I think Richard "Dimples" Fields said all we need to know about Leon's month with this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qduCJYilnaY

Regards
Rich

Leon
07-21-2020, 06:47 AM
The certificate upgrade was done last night but the security issues seem to remain (at least for me). So we will keep at it until it's fixed. The site is secure we just need to fix the old http links and make them https.....

After speaking with the hosting company this morning it looks like the process was done automatically and needed to be done manually. More to come later....

On the picture front, it is still being worked on too. It looks like the old pictures in the Community Photo album have been saved. Yay....
There is a chance the new ones (in the last week) can't be saved but we are still hopeful.
The 2 forum members working on the database have done an extraordinary job so far. We, especially me, owe then a debt of gratitude

Leon
07-21-2020, 12:47 PM
It looks like the most recent security license update has cured some issues. We now have a padlock when on a pc. And we aren't getting that really awful looking security issue when logging in.... We are getting there....

Once these issues have settled down and we are stable for a short time (days) we will look at upgrading our s/w. The main thing is for the site to stay up and be stable.. I am in present discussions with the hosting company for more security to help prevent attacks in the future. WE will be addressing the backup policies and a lot more too....

And some 1946 Morley Studio cards....

atx840
07-21-2020, 01:23 PM
It looks like the most recent security license update has cured some issues. We now have a padlock when on a pc.

Woot!

One of my favs.

https://live.staticflickr.com/8536/8672986271_6e6fcbc040_b.jpg

Joe_G.
07-21-2020, 08:19 PM
On the picture front, it is still being worked on too. It looks like the old pictures in the Community Photo album have been saved. Yay....
There is a chance the new ones (in the last week) can't be but we are still hopeful.
The 2 forum members working on the database have done an extraordinary job so far. We, especially me, owe then a debt of gratitude

On the picture front . . . thank you! I'm not worried about losing last couple weeks of pictures, easy to recover. Fixing the several years that proceeded that was my concern and looks like you are well on the way to having that fixed. Many thanks to those working their tails off to fix the issues (that includes you Chris).

irv
07-21-2020, 08:27 PM
The certificate upgrade was done last night but the security issues seem to remain (at least for me). So we will keep at it until it's fixed. The site is secure we just need to fix the old http links and make them https.....

After speaking with the hosting company this morning it looks like the process was done automatically and needed to be done manually. More to come later....

There is a chance the new ones (in the last week) can't be but we are still hopeful.

Yes, thanks, Leon. I now see all my photos have returned!

Appreciate all you did and continue to do to keep this site up and running! :)

Leon
07-21-2020, 08:57 PM
On the picture front . . . thank you! I'm not worried about losing last couple weeks of pictures, easy to recover. Fixing the several years that proceeded that was my concern and looks like you are well on the way to having that fixed. Many thanks to those working their tails off to fix the issues (that includes you Chris).

That was my thought too, Joe. I can easily tell the guys that we lost a few weeks of pictures and there probably won't be mayham. But if we lose it all, yikes, there could be a mutiny LOL..

I didn't want to say who it was until I asked if it was ok. But yes, Chris Br.owne, worked a lot on this and continues now. As a matter of fact he is now an administrator on the board too. And on another personnel issue, member Dan Bre.tta (hey Dan) SlideKellySlide has stepped down as a moderator. He said he is not on the forum as much and thought it was best. He is still here a member. Thanks again Dan for the years of helping oversee the forum. And Wayne De.lia also did the other heavy lifting on this current project of issues out the yin yang. Another great OBC'er.

More work to come in the future but the system does seem to be smoother than it's been in a long time (knock on wood).