PDA

View Full Version : Which card should I hold?

investinrookies
07-06-2020, 03:59 PM
Need to part with one to fund a big purchase...both iconic cards....ones prewar, ones postwar.

Which one should I keep and why?

SGC 4.5 green cobb, dead centered with exceptional eye appeal

or...

PSA 8 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson. well centered with average eye appeal.

I like them both so I cant decide, but can only keep one.

bnorth
07-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Need to part with one to fund a big purchase...both iconic cards....ones prewar, ones postwar.

Which one should I keep and why?

SGC 4.5 green cobb, dead centered with exceptional eye appeal

or...

PSA 8 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson. well centered with average eye appeal.

I like them both so I cant decide, but can only keep one.

Pics would help. Without them I would say sell the PSA 8 Robinson.

Jcosta19
07-06-2020, 04:23 PM
+1 I'd keep the Cobb

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Arazi4442
07-06-2020, 04:28 PM
Agree on keeping the Cobb.

Must be a nice purchase if you're letting one of these go. Good luck!

robw1959
07-06-2020, 04:47 PM
+1

icurnmedic
07-06-2020, 04:49 PM
Cobb Rules IMHO.

rats60
07-06-2020, 05:06 PM
I would hold the Cobb.

conor912
07-06-2020, 05:12 PM
Depends on your motives. The Cobb is a cooler card, but i think the JR has more room to run.

Rhotchkiss
07-06-2020, 05:26 PM
That is a tough one, and I am a t206-lover. I don’t know how often 1949 Bowman Robinson PSA 8’s sell. I would part with whichever one is easier to reacquire

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-06-2020, 05:32 PM
I guess I'm the weirdo. I keep the Jackie all day. (Of course I'm a huge Brooklyn nut, but still.)

glynparson
07-06-2020, 06:26 PM
I’d keep the Jackie not even a question in my mind.

investinrookies
07-06-2020, 07:03 PM
Depends on your motives. The Cobb is a cooler card, but i think the JR has more room to run.

that's how I feel...I think the cobb is a cooler card and maybe more iconic, but I think the jackie has a lot of upside potential. I dont want to part with a card that has a lot of room to run. Cobbs ran a lot the last few years and appears to be leveling off some now but maybe just taking a breather?

ullmandds
07-06-2020, 07:28 PM
cobby all day long...no contest in my brain!

Tyruscobb
07-06-2020, 07:54 PM
The Cobb is my personal keeper. First, the monster is the more iconic and collected set, compared with the 1949 Bowman one. It has more demand. Second, the Green T-206 Cobb, bar none, is “the” Cobb to own. The 1949 Bowman Jackie, while iconic, is not “the” end-all, be-all Jackie. The 1948-49 Leaf Jackie will always hold this honor.

Third, although Jackie was a great player and overcame so many barriers and hardships, no one considers him when discussing the all-time top five greatest players. Some, including myself (yes, I admit my bias), consider Cobb the greatest of all-time. This also drives demand.

Finally, the Cobb, in my opinion, will grow faster than the Jackie. Cobb is an all-time great, if not the greatest, in an all-time popular set, if not the greatest set.

Both are great cards. I would hate to part with either.

Huysmans
07-06-2020, 08:17 PM
I'd keep Cobb without hesitation....
Greatest player in history

brian1961
07-06-2020, 11:17 PM
Obviously, both these cards hold tremendous appeal to you. I feel you kinda answered the question yourself when you said of the Cobb, "dead centered with exceptional eye appeal". You love them both, but since the Ty satisfies you the most, and since you must part with one, your not as well-centered and average eye appeal Jackie MUST be the one that helps you fund your big card purchase.

My sincerest condolences for having to part with a card you do indeed like to procure another you want. I hope you're able to land the new one with no regrets.

My best to you, sir. --- Brian Powell

Johnny630
07-07-2020, 05:12 AM
Jackie

investinrookies
07-07-2020, 08:19 AM
Obviously, both these cards hold tremendous appeal to you. I feel you kinda answered the question yourself when you said of the Cobb, "dead centered with exceptional eye appeal". You love them both, but since the Ty satisfies you the most, and since you must part with one, your not as well-centered and average eye appeal Jackie MUST be the one that helps you fund your big card purchase.

My sincerest condolences for having to part with a card you do indeed like to procure another you want. I hope you're able to land the new one with no regrets.

My best to you, sir. --- Brian Powell

its a hard call which is why I thought Id ask the board. You are right the cobb I like better and overall its a better card from an eye appeal standpoint, thus more satisfying to me. That being said, its hard to part with the Jackie due to it being a RC, iconic, and in such a high grade. Right now it seems like the overwhelming choice is to hold the Cobb and sell the Jackie.

packs
07-07-2020, 08:28 AM
Jackie's not really going anywhere fast. Cobb has exploded. If you want a big return, you'll get it with the Cobb.

If you're looking for return the biggest factor will be cost for each.

glynparson
07-07-2020, 08:53 AM
I picked Jackie because I have owned way more green Cobb’s in that grade or higher than I have Jackie’s even a grade lower or higher. The grade matters and that’s what makes all the difference to me.

jchcollins
07-07-2020, 09:07 AM
Just me personally I'd keep the Jackie.

Johnny630
07-07-2020, 09:14 AM
I picked Jackie Because it is a great card! Hard to find high grade and people know who Jackie is all over the world. A Civil Rights Pioneer who broke the Color Barrier. People don't kneed to know anything about baseball but they will know the name Jackie Robinson, Cobb not so much. Plus Cobb right or wrong in 2020 gets a bad rap, he isn't WOKE Enough for the Young Guns With Big Bucks.

MR RAREBACK
07-09-2020, 03:36 PM
Keep the cobb

pawpawdiv9
07-10-2020, 07:52 AM
before the system bug-
my reply was SELL BOTH!!!
They are both considered on the cutting block here? right
Have $$ for your purchase & $$ later for another purchase later on.

investinrookies
07-12-2020, 07:28 AM
I think the green cobb would be easier to acquire. There is always a good amount of green Cobbs available on ebay or other auction sites, but trying to find jackie bowman is not nearly as easy, especially a nice one in high grade. His cards seem especially difficult to acquire given the pop on of. Sure seems like people hold their Jackies

Rhotchkiss
07-12-2020, 08:58 AM
I think the green cobb would be easier to acquire. There is always a good amount of green Cobbs available on ebay or other auction sites, but trying to find jackie bowman is not nearly as easy, especially a nice one in high grade. His cards seem especially difficult to acquire given the pop on of. Sure seems like people hold their Jackies

I think that is the best analysis. Neither card is particularly unusual or rare and both are certainly valuable. You would prefer to keep both, but can’t. And it appears you will get the same amount for each. Thus, it’s really a function if which you can acquire easiest if/when you want a replacement example. While I think Bowman Robinsons are more plentiful than green Cobbs, getting a Robinson in an 8 is likely more difficult than a Cobb in a 4.5 (or higher)

investinrookies
07-12-2020, 09:02 AM
I think that is the best analysis. Neither card is particularly unusual or rare and both are certainly valuable. You would prefer to keep both, but can’t. And it appears you will get the same amount for each. Thus, it’s really a function if which you can acquire easiest if/when you want a replacement example. While I think Bowman Robinsons are more plentiful than green Cobbs, getting a Robinson in an 8 is likely more difficult than a Cobb in a 4.5 (or higher)

Thats how I am looking looking at it. While the bowman Robinsons are slightly more plentiful in any grade vs the green cobb, it seems that there are more green Cobbs on ebay at any one time than there are Bowman Robinsons. I think the green cobb as a whole is easier to find in any grade vs the Bowman Robinson.

jcmtiger
07-12-2020, 08:40 PM
I think you would get some nice money on the Cobb & pick up a lower grade easy

wdwfan
07-12-2020, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you need a poll, haha.

To be honest, I'd probably keep the Cobb with better eye appeal. I believe the Jackie might have more room to grow, but Cobb is pre-war and has better eye appeal. Maybe down the road you can find a nice Jackie with better eye appeal that might be graded 6 or 7 instead of 8.

Just my nickel's worth of free advice.

GeoPoto
07-13-2020, 06:31 AM
but trying to find jackie bowman is not nearly as easy, especially a nice one in high grade.

I don't have any relevant info about the T206 Cobb card, but I do own a PSA 7 Jackie and as a result I follow its sales a bit. So FWIW, in the last two years or less I have seen the following sales (descending from oldest to most recent on eBay and/or AH (with BP included):
< PSA 8.5 -- $11,011
< PSA 8 -- $12,512
< PSA 8 -- $11,024
< PSA 9 -- $28,800
< PSA 8 -- $14,450
< PSA 8 -- $14,600
During the same time frame, I have also seen:
< SGC 7 -- $4,000
< PSA 7 -- $5,100
< PSA 7 -- $3,950
< PSA 7 -- $4,239
There could have been additional transactions that I missed.
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409108&stc=1&d=1594642485

Koufax32fan
07-13-2020, 08:05 AM
We don't really have enough information to weigh in on this. Each of us has a perspective, but we can't answer for you. What are the factors your are considering? Firstly, there are at least 3 choices, not 2. You could not fund the "large purchase" and keep both. Clearly, you have already decided that the large purchase is more valuable to you than either of those cards. What criteria did you use to make that decision?

Let's say you are looking to buy a diamond engagement ring - maybe purchase a factory-made diamond instead of a mined-diamond (perhaps better for the environment and human rights). Or, interest rates are really low right now so maybe you can borrow the money and pledge either card/both cards as collateral.

For those suggesting that you sell the card that has had the more significant increase in value recently; we shouldn't forget the tax implications of selling an item with a low cost basis.

All that being said - here is my suggestion. Ask yourself some questions:

1. When is the last time you looked at either? How long did you spend looking at it? More importantly, how did you feel?

2. Which one do you show to more people?

3. Which one will you replace?

4. If you replace either/both, would you "have" to have one in similar condition or will you be "almost" as happy with a lower conditioned card?

5. Think of each card and write down the words that come to your mind - compare them and which words give you more pleasure?

Enjoy whichever one you keep.

jbsports33
07-13-2020, 02:56 PM
Keep the PSA 8 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson!

Jimmy

ullmandds
07-13-2020, 06:39 PM
why have we not seen the examples on the chopping block?

investinrookies
07-14-2020, 06:15 AM
I ultimately decided to part with the Jackie and keep the Cobb. I had several messages on here with interest in both, so once I made a decision the Jackie was sold. The Cobb was/is the nicer of the two cards from an eye appeal standpoint so at the end of the day it came down to that for me. Heres a scan of the Cobb.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200714/eb912168d841f5a51e24343f92471551.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ullmandds
07-14-2020, 08:27 AM
you did the right thing...that cobb is gorgeous!

packs
07-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Good choice. You'll have no problem selling that beauty when it's time.

investinrookies
07-17-2020, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your input, at the end of the day I’m at peace with my decision and most of all the card I got with the funds from this sale and a few others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcosta19
07-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Congrats! Beautiful card.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk