sflayank
06-30-2020, 12:49 PM
Anyone get an invoice yet

White Borders
06-30-2020, 01:20 PM
More here: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=285319

ALBB
06-30-2020, 01:33 PM
Now is that Uncle Jimmy or Uncle Crazy ??

arcadekrazy
06-30-2020, 04:16 PM
Yes. Last night

brianp-beme
06-30-2020, 05:29 PM
I have a feeling Uncle Jimmy was smart as whip and crazy like a fox. Uncle Crazy on the other hand...

brianp(arker)-beme

ThomasL
06-30-2020, 07:00 PM
Was told they are emailing them out yesterday and today.

I have yet to get mine

ejharrington
06-30-2020, 08:00 PM
I just received mine tonight.

sflayank
07-01-2020, 06:52 AM
Still no email from crazy uncles
No phone available
No email response
Nothing
5 days
I'm just gonna send a check with 18% added

bnorth
07-01-2020, 07:03 AM
Still no email from crazy uncles
No phone available
No email response
Nothing
5 days
I'm just gonna send a check with 18% added

What about shipping? Might as well wait and send all at once.

bobbyw8469
07-01-2020, 07:07 AM
What kind of auction house is this??? Everything I have heard has been crazy.

bnorth
07-01-2020, 07:12 AM
What kind of auction house is this??? Everything I have heard has been crazy.

They give fair warning with "crazy"in the AH name. Seems you also need to be crazy to bid with them.;):D

perezfan
07-01-2020, 08:07 AM
And even crazier to consign with them...

You'd think someone from that company would spend the 30 seconds to post something here, clearing things up. Amazing how some businesses can thrive despite themselves.

grandcards
07-01-2020, 08:12 AM
I called them yesterday to pay by phone, because I couldn't get the paypal to work when I logged into my account.

They were trying to get invoices out starting last night -- their system doesn't automatically calculate shipping so they have to manually input shipping before each invoice can be finalized individually. Once the invoice is sent the paypal feature is unlocked on their website (as well as other methods of payment, I assume).

I haven't gotten mine yet, but it sounded like they were on the way.

ullmandds
07-01-2020, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure there's any other aspect of life...that I'm aware of...where so much bullshit is tolerated than this beloved hobby! WTF!

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-01-2020, 08:42 AM
I called them yesterday to pay by phone, because I couldn't get the paypal to work when I logged into my account.

They were trying to get invoices out starting last night -- their system doesn't automatically calculate shipping so they have to manually input shipping before each invoice can be finalized individually. Once the invoice is sent the paypal feature is unlocked on their website (as well as other methods of payment, I assume).

I haven't gotten mine yet, but it sounded like they were on the way.

In my auction I have to individually calculate shipping as well. We had 700 lots and 200 different winners. They were all invoiced in 24 hours. I do it myself.

grandcards
07-01-2020, 09:22 AM
In my auction I have to individually calculate shipping as well. We had 700 lots and 200 different winners. They were all invoiced in 24 hours. I do it myself.

And you do a great job! It was my first time winning something from either of you and can say that your quick turnaround and excellent customer service won you points in my book.

As for Crazy Uncle, I just wanted to pass along the explanation I got, since people seemed concerned after not hearing anything.

x2drich2000
07-01-2020, 09:28 AM

Scott, correct me if I'm wrong, but before you put the invoice out to view, you add the shipping/tax/etc. The invoice can't be viewed until that is done. Crazy had the invoices posted on their site without that info. Also in their T&C Crazy indicates invoices would be "emailed to bidders the day after auction close and will also be available by logging into your online account" My invoice total posted on the site changed 2 different times since the auction closed.

sflayank
07-01-2020, 09:42 AM
Same here invoice changed online twice
Without shipping info
Still no email
Auction says invoice emails next day
It's now 5 days

ThomasL
07-01-2020, 10:22 AM
My invoice was emailed this morning. Paid immediately and cant wait for my card to come in.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Scott, correct me if I'm wrong, but before you put the invoice out to view, you add the shipping/tax/etc. The invoice can't be viewed until that is done.

100% correct and another reason why I work so hard to get them done within 24 hours so they can be posted.

sflayank
07-02-2020, 02:25 PM
So I finally got my email yesterday
Paid by paypal immediately
Go to my invoice today still shows not paid for
When will they ship?
Anyone have any answers

Republicaninmass
07-02-2020, 02:35 PM
:eek:So I finally got my email yesterday
When will they ship?
Anyone have any answers

Maybe ask Aaron directly?

Are you like this on every transaction?

Sheesh

Leon
07-02-2020, 02:39 PM
So I finally got my email yesterday
When will they ship?
Anyone have any answers

LOL....It will be ok, Larry. Take it easy. Life is short man. :)

sflayank
07-02-2020, 03:08 PM
The only thing I worry about is the sign on his address that says eyebrow doctor
Wtf is an eyebrow doctor

sflayank
07-02-2020, 03:14 PM
https://www.apartments.com/198-harrison-ave-harrison-ny/ly5v3ze/

White Borders
07-02-2020, 03:43 PM
Received my invoice today. Got a kick out of it that it said "Due on receipt" :)

sflayank
07-02-2020, 04:37 PM
Apparently someone on this post has items in the auction and feels my comments are trying to persuade
People not to bid in his auction
That person is not too bright
I couldnt care less who bids in what auction
Comments are truthful ...and this forum is here to bring the truth to the public..if a consignor to that auction cant handle the truth...that's just too bad..

BabyRuth
07-02-2020, 05:25 PM
Wow - that link to the eyebrow doctor - really is "crazy"!!!!

HRBAKER
07-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I'm not sure there's any other aspect of life...that I'm aware of...where so much bullshit is tolerated than this beloved hobby! WTF!

Ain't that the truth.
It's absolutely amazing.

jerrys
07-02-2020, 05:39 PM
I got an invoice and paid it. Yesterday I got another with a different (higher) amount. Called three times today to straighten it out. Each time I get a recording saying they are sending out invoices.
What next?

Republicaninmass
07-02-2020, 06:04 PM
Apparently someone on this post has items in the auction and feels my comments are trying to persuade
People not to bid in his auction
That person is not too bright
I couldnt care less who bids in what auction
Comments are truthful ...and this forum is here to bring the truth to the public..if a consignor to that auction cant handle the truth...that's just too bad..

Hi Larry, aka The Truthbringer, guessing this is about me. I'll spare the diatribe from your PMS

What's do you need ebay 1 day shipping? Doubt it will ship before July 4th anyhow.

How about the CONVENIENCE of not having to send a check? Remember those days!!

Wait, they are still here!

Even lelands, clean sweep etc still have to mail the ole paper check, wait for it to clear, etc That must kill ya. Locked up in someone's closet for 30+ years and you need it now.

And far as the office, probably it is a rental that was leased to someone else on your link. Just a guess. As for the eyebrow doctor, Id consider asking that special lady in your life what happens at one. Guys too should visit to prevent that monobrow look.

I visited REA in Robs basement also lelands is in the back of a strip mall. Pretty classless picking on him for his office.

If you know where it is, hop on a plane and come down, pay the NY sales tax too.

I'd like to see aaron succeed, but with that bad press you are giving him, I'm not sure your pittance is worth keeping you as a registered bidder. That would be at his discretion.

If it wasnt for people trying something new in this hobby, it would be pretty boring. I'm cheering for the younger generation to take over, as the hobby will die, ot literally and figuratively

So what's this really about? Think he will a frank prisco and just NOT send the items and obscond with the funds?

Leon
07-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Hi Larry, aka The Truthbringer, guessing this is about me. I'll spare the diatribe from your PMS

What's do you need ebay 1 day shipping? Doubt it will ship before July 4th anyhow.

How about the CONVENIENCE of not having to send a check? Remember those days!!

Wait, they are still here!

Even lelands, clean sweep etc still have to mail the ole paper check, wait for it to clear, etc That must kill ya. Locked up in someone's closet for 30+ years and you need it now.

And far as the office, probably it is a rental that was leased to someone else on your link. Just a guess. As for the eyebrow doctor, Id consider asking that special lady in your life what happens at one. Guys too should visit to prevent that monobrow look.

I visited REA in Robs basement also lelands is in the back of a strip mall. Pretty classless picking on him for his office.

If you know where it is, hop on a plane and come down, pay the NY sales tax too.

I'd like to see aaron succeed, but with that bad press you are giving him, I'm not sure your pittance is worth keeping you as a registered bidder. That would be at his discretion.

If it wasnt for people trying something new in this hobby, it would be pretty boring. I'm cheering for the younger generation to take over, as the hobby will die, ot literally and figuratively

So what's this really about? Think he will a frank prisco and just NOT send the items and obscond with the funds?

I remember Prisco touting a legit Ruth autograph on a 1953 Silver Certificate. What a disaster.... LOL.....

Republicaninmass
07-02-2020, 06:35 PM
Recently, well 3 years now I think. Prisco made off with at least 60k via live auctioneers platform, 4k from me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sflayank
07-02-2020, 06:47 PM
Apparently ted s...misses the point
1st of all the other posts are the posts scrutinizing crazy uncle..
2nd...according to his own auction site you can pay by check and save the 3%
3rd...the 1st invoice had 18% added on
The 2nd invoice had 21% added on
The 3rd invoice gave you no choice but to pay the 21%
4th..his auction site states emphatically invoices will be mailed next day...5 days later and people still dont have invoice
5th....paid invoice still shows not paid
All I've said is the truth...
If hes on this board...post information
Send out a mass email to let everyone know what's going on
JUST COMMON COURTESY
As for the eyebrow dr...99 out of a 100 find it amusing
You're the one who doesnt....hmmm
And last but not least...if you get paid by PayPal anytime this week...you should ship those items ASAP
THATS HOW YOU BUILD A BUSINESS

Shoeless Moe
07-02-2020, 07:30 PM
I remember Prisco touting a legit Ruth autograph on a 1953 Silver Certificate. What a disaster.... LOL.....

Everyone knows Babe Ruth was ahead of his time.

sycks22
07-02-2020, 08:36 PM
I can't speak to invoices, but I was pleased with my consignment prices.

seattlerainiers
07-03-2020, 02:45 PM
Everyone knows Babe Ruth was ahead of time.

Excellent :)

Republicaninmass
07-03-2020, 03:09 PM
Wow Larry, you are a true 1/1

Apparently ted s...misses the point
1st of all the other posts are the posts scrutinizing crazy uncle..
2nd...according to his own auction site you can pay by check and save the 3%
3rd...the 1st invoice had 18% added on
The 2nd invoice had 21% added on
The 3rd invoice gave you no choice but to pay the 21%

This all seems like the same issue around this 3%. I'm guessing he can elaborate

4th..his auction site states emphatically invoices will be mailed next day...5 days later and people still dont have invoice

You did but it was wrong, no?

5th....paid invoice still shows not paid

I realize it been minutes since you paid, maybe he has to manually reset it to paid. I have no clue

[/QUOTE]

As for the eyebrow dr...99 out of a 100 find it amusing
You're the one who doesnt....hmmm

I feel it's in poor taste to insult someone's lively hood. It would be akin to me posting a picture of an old age home in ***rise Florida

And last but not least...if you get paid by PayPal anytime this week...you should ship those items ASAP
THATS HOW YOU BUILD A BUSINESS

I'm sure he appreciates the tip.

Doesnt ASAP meant just that? As soon as POSSIBLE? Probably a little overwhelmed, heck if I know. I guess I should be asking about my consignment check already according to your consumer model.

I guess the customer is always right, maybe you can get some free stuff, or a better deal next if you keep complaining.

Sorry this happen to you.

sflayank
07-03-2020, 03:40 PM
It's truly amazing how uneducated you are
No understanding of anything thats been said
Every comment on this post says the same thing as I've said
But you continue to choose to zero in on me...I dont swing that way
Bottom line is the auction was run extremely poorly
I hope they can do better next time
And almost a week later he refuses to comment
What is he afraid of

Republicaninmass
07-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Call up and try cancel if you are truly so upset.

I guess "Stuff trumps" all dont it!

sflayank
07-03-2020, 04:08 PM
U really dont get it...I'm not upset at all..I'll get my winnings whenever...
Simply pointing out, along with everyone else all the problems they've had....and btw ..if I wanted to call ..I couldnt...they dont answer the phone

perezfan
07-03-2020, 04:13 PM
I don't know why everyone is at odds, or is even surprised over this...

It's not like they named their business "Sane Uncle". :rolleyes:

conor912
07-03-2020, 06:19 PM
I don't know why everyone is at odds, or is even surprised over this...

It's not like they named their business "Sane Uncle". :rolleyes:

Like complaining about the tacos at Sam’s Spaghetti Shack.

brianp-beme
07-04-2020, 02:57 AM
Like complaining about the tacos at Sam’s Spaghetti Shack.

I hate the tacos at Sam's.

Brian

CJDave
07-05-2020, 04:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the name and number/email of the owners of Crazy Uncles?

FYI - Aaron Rothschild is the president and per his email to me over a week ago, he is not the owner and there are apparently a group owners that have invested into this business.

I have a SERIOUS issue with the last auction as a consignor and Aaron has not taken my calls nor returned any of my emails for over a week now. I was promised over a week ago that I would be receiving a call on Monday June 29th from the Crazy Uncle ownership to try and fix the HUGE mess they caused. Needless to say, no calls were made and no replies to my emails in over a week.

I am not trying to air my dirty laundry on this thread, but this is so unprofessional and incompetent !!! I am not going to give the details as it is not my intent to take any business away from Aaron or Crazy Uncle......but I have no intention of being F'd over (pardon my vulgar terminology to anyone who may take offense).

Aaron - I hope you are reading this thread because you know you have been avoiding me and you know how much you screwed up with this auction. Further you saw my instructions that those consigned items may not be released or I hold you and Crazy Uncle financially responsible (as per my three or four emails to you).

Dave Os.trove

obcmac
07-05-2020, 06:15 PM
Hi Guys,

FYI - Aaron Rothschild is the president and per his email to me over a week ago, he is not the owner and there are apparently a group owners that have invested into this business.

I have a SERIOUS issue with the last auction as a consignor and Aaron has not taken my calls nor returned any of my emails for over a week now. I was promised over a week ago that I would be receiving a call on Monday June 29th from the Crazy Uncle ownership to try and fix the HUGE mess they caused. Needless to say, no calls were made and no replies to my emails in over a week.

I am not trying to air my dirty laundry on this thread, but this is so unprofessional and incompetent !!! I am not going to give the details as it is not my intent to take any business away from Aaron or Crazy Uncle......but I have no intention of being F'd over (pardon my vulgar terminology to anyone who make take offense).

Aaron - I hope you are reading this thread because you know you have been avoiding me and you know how much you screwed up with this auction. Further you saw my instructions that those consigned items may not be released or I hold you and Crazy Uncle financially responsible (as per my three or four emails to you).

So you sold stuff in the auction, now you are ordering that the items not be released? Very curious to hear how you think they messed up.

bnorth
07-05-2020, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I am not trying to air my dirty laundry on this thread, but this is so unprofessional and incompetent !!! I am not going to give the details as it is not my intent to take any business away from Aaron or Crazy Uncle......but I have no intention of being F'd over (pardon my vulgar terminology to anyone who make take offense).

So you sold stuff in the auction, now you are ordering that the items not be released? Very curious to hear how you think they messed up.

+ Several, I am sure many of us would like to hear about what happened in your situation in this thread or by PM.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-05-2020, 07:27 PM
As an auctioneer I would assume they did something contrary to the language of the contract. In a small company that's easier to do than you might think as sometimes when you are creating the auction you are so immersed in photography and descriptions you can forget specifics set forth in the contract. Key is fixing it before the auction ends or making it right afterwards.

CJDave
07-06-2020, 07:28 AM
I will gladly detail some of the screw ups if I do not hear back from Aaron in the next 24 hours or so. Again, not my intent to air dirty laundry nor cause him or his company to lose customers, but man up and fix your blunders. 600 lots in this last auction were from me......tons more never made it in.

Aaron - don't know why you are choosing to avoid me.....actually I do, because this mess up will cost you tens of thousands in commission on this last auction.

You have my number.....you've texted me plenty
You have my email......you've emailed me plenty

Jim65
07-06-2020, 07:55 AM
Again, not my intent to air dirty laundry nor cause him or his company to lose customers,

They seem to be doing that all on their own.

bobbyw8469
07-06-2020, 07:58 AM
I will gladly detail some of the screw ups if I do not hear back from Aaron in the next 24 hours or so. Again, not my intent to air dirty laundry nor cause him or his company to lose customers, but man up and fix your blunders. 600 lots in this last auction were from me......tons more never made it in.

Aaron - don't know why you are choosing to avoid me.....actually I do, because this mess up will cost you tens of thousands in commission on this last auction.

You have my number.....you've texted me plenty
You have my email......you've emailed me plenty

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose to consign with a brand new company as opposed to one of the more established companies?? Did they give you "an offer you couldn't refuse"??

CJDave
07-06-2020, 08:51 AM
I went with a few auction houses...........I gave a large consignment to REA, another large one to LOTG, and a third to Crazy Uncles. I wanted to test the waters with all three.

bobbyw8469
07-06-2020, 08:59 AM
I went with a few auction houses...........I gave a large consignment to REA, another large one to LOTG, and a third to Crazy Uncles. I wanted to test the waters with all three.

And the results of the three?? Just curious.

hcv123
07-06-2020, 09:11 AM
Perhaps someone could post a link to the thread related to Crazy Uncles first auction. It was discussed pretty heavily on these boards. HUGE problems - poor communication, no communication, no timely pictures, RIDICULOUSLY poor customer service - maybe I'm in the minority here, but "stuff does not trump all". Based on the original thread I made the decision not to do business with this company - while sad, it is not surprising AT ALL based on comments in the original thread that people are having issues. CAVEAT EMPTOR.
That all said - to CJDave and everyone else having problems this time around - I wish you timely and accurate resolution. I appreciate the sharing of all factual experiences and offer the same when I have them as the sharing in this community truly helps make more educated decisions.

CJDave
07-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Hi Robert,

The auctions on REA and LOTG did OK but not as well as past auctions.....through no fault of the two auction houses. Just the timing with the pandemic and people out of work caused it to have less traffic than normal. Again the auction houses did a great job under the circumstances going on in the world.

As to Crazy Uncles, not so good the first time around but I believe in giving second chances......so I did.......I am no longer a believer in second chances !!!

wilkiebaby11
07-06-2020, 12:15 PM
Recently, well 3 years now I think. Prisco made off with at least 60k via live auctioneers platform, 4k from me

I remember that auction. About 5 successive auctions. I paid for the first auction and got a bogus tracking number that was never scanned in, hadnt paid for my winning in the second, but in the third auction they were auctioning off a 1939 Ted Williams Rookie that just so happened to be sitting in my PC. It was then I knew I had to call and I dont know why, but they refunded me, immediately, my payment from auction 1 and then barred me from bidding in any others. Prisco said he didnt have the cards in hand, that they were from a consignor who was sending him pics. I contacted LiveAuctioneers with all the evidence that he was runnning a scam, they DGAF.

wilkiebaby11
07-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I can't speak to invoices, but I was pleased with my consignment prices.

Since you are here and people were questioning it, why'd your T204 Johnson SGC 2 disappear right after the auction closed?

Republicaninmass
07-06-2020, 12:17 PM
I remember that auction. About 5 successive auctions. I paid for the first auction and got a bogus tracking number that was never scanned in, hadnt paid for my winning in the second, but in the third auction they were auctioning off a 1939 Ted Williams Rookie that just so happened to be sitting in my PC. It was then I knew I had to call and I dont know why, but they refunded me, immediately, my payment from auction 1 and then barred me from bidding in any others. Prisco said he didnt have the cards in hand, that they were from a consignor who was sending him pics. I contacted LiveAuctioneers with all the evidence that he was runnning a scam, they DGAF.Yep, I win the green cobb psa 4. Never got a dime back

wilkiebaby11
07-06-2020, 12:31 PM
Yep, I win the green cobb psa 4. Never got a dime back

I missed the first auction, which had many lots not reach a reserve (why he had a reserve on a scam, who knows) But in that second auction I won and paid for:
T206 Mathewson Portrait SGC 7
T206 Johnson Portrait PSA 7
(2) 33 Ruth SGC 5's

I was ecstatic. It was the fourth auction (your Green Cobb) where I caught him auctioning a card I possessed with pics from Heritage. He banned me from bidding in that and his 5th auction. Somewhere on my computer I have all the pics of the card in hand against the computer screen of the lot.

sycks22
07-06-2020, 12:35 PM
Since you are here and people were questioning it, why'd your T204 Johnson SGC 2 disappear right after the auction closed?

Great question that I don't have the answer to.

wilsonjc08
07-07-2020, 09:38 AM
I got 2 shipping confirmations with 2 different tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.

ThomasL
07-07-2020, 09:55 AM
I got 2 shipping confirmations with 2 different tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.

Did your invoice on their website get updated? If so does it also show multiple tracking #s at the top right corner?

ruth-gehrig
07-07-2020, 10:52 AM
Aaron was on the board an hour ago. Did he clear anything up?

Leon
07-07-2020, 08:22 PM
Sort of testing our system right now...but I did get a tracking number a few days ago....

Pat R
07-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Won one card it took five days to get an invoice.
Paid the invoice and six days later it still shows that I owe for the card.
$12 shipping on a $48 card.
I was charged 8.75% sales tax should be 8%.

MCyganik
07-08-2020, 08:16 PM
Won one card it took five days to get an invoice.
Paid the invoice and six days later it still shows that I owe for the card.
$12 shipping on a $48 card.
I was charged 8.75% sales tax should be 8%.

My email invoice via PayPal says paid, but it doesn’t show up on my account on their website. I emailed them to clarify a confirmation and a confirmation of the shipping address but I haven’t gotten a response.

I won one card for $25, which was $30.25 after buyers premium. I got charged $14 shipping for the one card so it came to $44.25. I don’t dabble in many auction houses, especially upstart ones, so I’ve come to expect costly fees etc from them and don’t expect to get my items quickly because I’m small potatoes.

But reading all of this makes me wonder if I ever will see this card, or if it will eventually end up as a refund. Definitely interesting.

Leon
07-08-2020, 08:35 PM
FWIW this came in the mail yesterday...from them

wilkiebaby11
07-08-2020, 08:35 PM
My email invoice via PayPal says paid, but it doesn’t show up on my account on their website. I emailed them to clarify a confirmation and a confirmation of the shipping address but I haven’t gotten a response.

I won one card for $25, which was $30.25 after buyers premium. I got charged $14 shipping for the one card so it came to $44.25. I don’t dabble in many auction houses, especially upstart ones, so I’ve come to expect costly fees etc from them and don’t expect to get my items quickly because I’m small potatoes.

But reading all of this makes me wonder if I ever will see this card, or if it will eventually end up as a refund. Definitely interesting.

Ive bid with them in all their auctions. They are certainly slow to ship, but I've always got my items.

wilsonjc08
07-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Did your invoice on their website get updated? If so does it also show multiple tracking #s at the top right corner?

No it has not. I did, however, receive a 3rd shipping confirmation email today with yet another tracking number. :confused:

Kidnapped18
07-08-2020, 09:37 PM
CJDave

I know a few of the cards you are talking about! I was extremely surprised that the Frank Smith card only went for $300!!

brianp-beme
07-09-2020, 02:02 AM
FWIW this came in the mail yesterday...from them

I love the pose, but E106 players quite often applied their lipstick during earthquakes.

Brian

CJDave
07-09-2020, 08:49 AM
That pales in comparison to some of the incorrect pricing !!!!!!

CJDave
07-09-2020, 12:30 PM
OK GUYS........GLOVES ARE OFF!!!!!

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!

bobbyw8469
07-09-2020, 12:36 PM

AARON JUST CALLED ME AND THREATENED TO SUE ME FOR SLANDER IF I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST AUCTION TO YOU FOLKS ON NET54.

AARON - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS.............GO FOR IT !!! YOU MENTIONED THE ATTORNEY GENERAL WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND......LET'S SEE !!!

And your statement that you have a legal background and mentioned that you are completely diverse in slander laws is comical to say the least since even a first year law student knows Libel is a defamatory statement that is written. Slander is a defamatory statement that is oral. But I am sure you knew that......didn't you???
Furthermore, a person who wishes to successfully sue you for libel must generally prove the statement is false. Everything I have on you is factual !!!!!

WOULD ANYONE HERE LIKE TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS PAST AUCTION AND HOW AARON COMPLETELY SCREWED ME???????? I CAN DETAIL NUMEROUS SCREWUPS!!!! AND HOW IT COST ME HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN A SCREW UP!!!

And what could he have done so wrong that would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

See Aaron.....that's a copy/paste from an email. Makes it's factual......can't be libel (or as you call it slander) if it's true !!!!

I'll bite....I am curious as to what transpired.

bnorth
07-09-2020, 12:50 PM
I'll bite....I am curious as to what transpired.

+1 I would also like to hear.

Would also like to know what happened to the T204 Johnson SGC2.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-09-2020, 12:52 PM

maybe he's conversant in the law, but I doubt he's diverse in it...

x2drich2000
07-09-2020, 01:06 PM

I've been hesitant the last couple days to mention my conversation with Aaron on 7/7 as I really don't want to waste any more of my energy on it, But I will just simply add that our conversation also included what I perceived as a threat for slander/libel. I would also state, in my opinion, he doesn't care what the board thinks of his business or the impact . Furthermore, based on what he told me about the T204 Johnson when I asked about it and why it was not on the site any longer, I don't feel comfortable bidding in any more of his auctions.

Also, just to amuse myself, I tried locating the LLC on the NY Division of Corporation website and couldn't find it. For comparison, LOTG and Clean Sweep I found in seconds.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-09-2020, 01:19 PM
It is depressing when a new operation gets those amazing items, which is a massive leg up in this business, and then blows it. Anyone who feels they got screwed consigning to CU please give me a buzz and I will do something special if you give me a chance to show you how a new(ish) small auction can be run well.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 02:10 PM
I'm glad you asked. And for the record, everything here is factual, no opinions and assumptions are being made.

Let me preface this by apologizing for being so long winded in my summary.

I put items in Crazy Uncle's first auction a number of months ago. Gave Aaron anywhere from $500K - $750K worth of items. Each item was detailed with a description and the reserve price I wish to be placed. Auction results didn't go so well but you never know. Many of the items failed to meet the reserve and thus did not sell. Some of the items unfortunately slipped through the cracks and sold even though there was a reserve on it. Aaron claims that was a computer glitch, apologized and said he would make it up to me on the next auction. That glitch cost me well over $10K which Aaron claims I said was only $3K or so. The figure was in fact $10K. And on a side note, I just finally got fully paid about two weeks ago from that auction that ended in March.

On to the next auction - I decided to give Aaron another chance. He still had quite a load left from the first auction, and I will estimate I gave him an additional $500K or so of sports memorabilia, historical memorabilia, coins, etc. He stopped by my office to pick the items up at which time I again gave him lists with descriptions of each item and my reserve price. He assured me there would be no more glitches and I would be fully protected. Generally the reserve does not show up until 24 hours prior to close of auction. Aaron was to call me the day before the auction close (Friday) to review the reserves and ensure none of my reserves were too high and if I would be willing to lower any. Come Friday Aaron contacted me that he would call me at the end of the afternoon to review the reserves. That call never occurred. On Saturday I checked the auction and saw there were no reserves showing. I called Aaron numerous times and no response. Finally he picked up and told me it was too voluminous to put reserves on 600 lots so we decided to not put them in. I am showing $250K in sales on items worth an estimated $750K. Everyone got the deal of a lifetime. Aaron now claims that he thought that list was the price I paid for the item......why I would I give him my prices??? His statement is BS as he knows those were my reserves, he knows he was to call me 24 hours in advance to review the reserves, he knows he had a glitch on the first auction and was told to be extra careful. This is just Aaron's feeble attempt to cover his ass......just come clean. You already admitted to me in writing that you blew this whole thing......why deny it now???

I emailed Aaron on 5 occasions instructing him not to release any item as he failed to honor my reserve price and protect my financial interest. I told him if he releases any item without my written authorization dated after the auction, he and his company will be held financially liable to compensate me for my FULL reserve price. He chose to send the items anyway against my objection.

Additionally, on the coins, there were complete sets (i.e. Indian Pennies, Franklin Halves, Commemoratives, etc.) that Aaron was given specific instructions to sell as complete sets and not split out. He chose to ignore my instructions and now claims he spoke to me about splitting the sets up.......this conversation never occurred as I would NEVER split out complete coin sets like that !!! Now individual coins were sold from sets leaving the complete sets 2/3 or whatever complete.....basically much less desirable.

Now here's the best...........while I am at work today I see on my home cameras that all the "unsold" items from the auction were dumped in front of my house.....about 30 feet from the street in plain view for anyone to see. I would estimate over $500K worth of collectibles were just put in front of my house, some in boxes, many just out in the open and easily distinguishable as to what the item was. While I cancelled all my meetings today and dashed home for an hour drive as fast as possible so that I could get these items inside and not stolen, I called Aaron repeatedly until he picked up. I asked if he was kidding me (I might have added one or two words in that sentence) and his response.......you said you don't want to do business with me anymore so here's your sh*t back. I told him those items were stored and locked away......not to be placed in front of my home in 95 degree heat. These are one of a kind historical documents signed by our founding fathers (Washington, Adams, Jefferson, etc.) and signed by Lincoln, Kennedy, every President and Vice President. Valuable coins that tarnish in this heat. 1777 priceless Ben Franklin Terracottas, 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks, Blacksox items, babe Ruth autographs, the list goes on and on. Had I not had cameras of my home on my computer, those items would be sitting out for anyone to steal and to be destroyed in this heat until I got home about 10 hours later. His response.......not my problem anymore.

What I have detailed above is factual and in no means libel. If this were falsities I am spewing, why would Aaron email me: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

Or why would he email me: I would like to work this out in private and would appreciate if you did not post again on the board about this - we can find a path forward not in the public eye. You would think if he did nothing wrong, why keep it private???

Now Aaron threatens to sue me for slander (which as I mentioned for a person who claims to have a legal background should know that slander is oral and libel is written). It's not libel if it's true !!! And from his legal background, he claims that my repeated emails to not release any items that he failed to protect me on with my reserves will not hold up in court and he is personal friends with the District Attorney so any attempt I make to pursue this legally will fail miserably. I didn't know Aaron had that much power as to make the DA bend to his will.

There are many people of this forum that have done business with me and know I am a standup person and I don't screw people over. I welcome any comments and I can elaborate further if anyone has any questions.

Thank you everyone for listening to this novel I just wrote.

Dave.

bobbyw8469
07-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Wow!! Just wow!!! I don't have a dog in the race, but I am still dumbfounded as to why you would consign almost a 7 figure collection with a brand new auction house. Just the name "Crazy Uncle" alone would deter me from doing business with them. There are just wayyyyyy too many well established auction houses that would have loved to have consignments that large.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 02:34 PM
Truth be told, I did also do a considerable consignment with REA and LOTG. Part of me wanted to give to the bigger auction houses, but part of me wanted to help out a starving new company.......I was there once and can respect someone trying. So I shared the wealth amongst three of them.

ThomasL
07-09-2020, 02:38 PM
I'm glad you asked. And for the record, everything here is factual, no opinions and assumptions are being made.

Let me preface this by apologizing for being so long winded in my summary.

I put items in Crazy Uncle's first auction a number of months ago. Gave Aaron anywhere from $500K - $750K worth of items. Each item was detailed with a description and the reserve price I wish to be placed. Auction results didn't go so well but you never know. Many of the items failed to meet the reserve and thus did not sell. Some of the items unfortunately slipped through the cracks and sold even though there was a reserve on it. Aaron claims that was a computer glitch, apologized and said he would make it up to me on the next auction. That glitch cost me well over $10K which Aaron claims I said was only $3K or so. The figure was in fact $10K. And on a side note, I just finally got fully paid about two weeks ago from that auction that ended in March.

On to the next auction - I decided to give Aaron another chance. He still had quite a load left from the first auction, and I will estimate I gave him an additional $500K or so of sports memorabilia, historical memorabilia, coins, etc. He stopped by my office to pick the items up at which time I again gave him lists with descriptions of each item and my reserve price. He assured me there would be no more glitches and I would be fully protected. Generally the reserve does not show up until 24 hours prior to close of auction. Aaron was to call me the day before the auction close (Friday) to review the reserves and ensure none of my reserves were too high and if I would be willing to lower any. Come Friday Aaron contacted me that he would call me at the end of the afternoon to review the reserves. That call never occurred. On Saturday I checked the auction and saw there were no reserves showing. I called Aaron numerous times and no response. Finally he picked up and told me it was too voluminous to put reserves on 600 lots so we decided to not put them in. I am showing $250K in sales on items worth an estimated $750K. Everyone got the deal of a lifetime. Aaron now claims that he thought that list was the price I paid for the item......why I would I give him my prices??? His statement is BS as he knows those were my reserves, he knows he was to call me 24 hours in advance to review the reserves, he knows he had a glitch on the first auction and was told to be extra careful. This is just Aaron's feeble attempt to cover his ass......just come clean. You already admitted to me in writing that you blew this whole thing......why deny it now???

I emailed Aaron on 5 occasions instructing him not to release any item as he failed to honor my reserve price and protect my financial interest. I told him if he releases any item without my written authorization dated after the auction, he and his company will be held financially liable to compensate me for my FULL reserve price. He chose to send the items anyway against my objection.

Additionally, on the coins, there were complete sets (i.e. Indian Pennies, Franklin Halves, Commemoratives, etc.) that Aaron was given specific instructions to sell as complete sets and not split out. He chose to ignore my instructions and now claims he spoke to me about splitting the sets up.......this conversation never occurred as I would NEVER split out complete coin sets like that !!! Now individual coins were sold from sets leaving the complete sets 2/3 or whatever complete.....basically much less desirable.

Now here's the best...........while I am at work today I see on my home cameras that all the "unsold" items from the auction were dumped in front of my house.....about 30 feet from the street in plain view for anyone to see. I would estimate over $500K worth of collectibles were just put in front of my house, some in boxes, many just out in the open and easily distinguishable as to what the item was. While I cancelled all my meetings today and dashed home for an hour drive as fast as possible so that I could get these items inside and not stolen, I called Aaron repeatedly until he picked up. I asked if he was kidding me (I might have added one or two words in that sentence) and his response.......you said you don't want to do business with me anymore so here's your sh*t back. I told him those items were stored and locked away......not to be placed in front of my home. His response.......not my problem anymore.

What I have detailed above is factual and in no means libel. If this were falsities I am spewing, why would Aaron email me: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

Or why would he email me: I would like to work this out in private and would appreciate if you did not post again on the board about this - we can find a path forward not in the public eye. You would think if he did nothing wrong, why keep it private???

Now Aaron threatens to sue me for slander (which as I mentioned for a person who claims to have a legal background should know that slander is oral and libel is written). It's not libel if it's true !!! And from his legal background, he claims that my repeated emails to not release any items that he failed to protect me on with my reserves will not hold up in court and he is personal friends with the District Attorney so any attempt I make to pursue this legally will fail miserably. I didn't know Aaron had that much power as to make the DA bend to his will.

There are many people of this forum that have done business with me and know I am a standup person and I don't screw people over. I welcome any comments and I can elaborate further if anyone has any questions.

Thank you everyone for listening to this novel I just wrote.

Dave.

that's some serious dough

CJDave
07-09-2020, 02:39 PM
I've been hesitant the last couple days to mention my conversation with Aaron on 7/7 as I really don't want to waste any more of my energy on it, But I will just simply add that our conversation also included what I perceived as a threat for slander/libel. I would also state, in my opinion, he doesn't care what the board thinks of his business or the impact . Furthermore, based on what he told me about the T204 Johnson when I asked about it and why it was not on the site any longer, I don't feel comfortable bidding in any more of his auctions.

Also, just to amuse myself, I tried locating the LLC on the NY Division of Corporation website and couldn't find it. For comparison, LOTG and Clean Sweep I found in seconds.

Seems like Aaron has a pattern of throwing out the slander/legal threat !!!

bnorth
07-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Seems like Aaron has a pattern of throwing out the slander/legal threat !!!

He is far from the only one.:)

and thanks for telling your side of what happened.

bobbyw8469
07-09-2020, 02:59 PM
So Aaron sold $750k worth of your stuff for only $250k? Do you think you will see the $250k at least?

BRoberts
07-09-2020, 03:02 PM
I’m sorry this is happening to you.

ajg
07-09-2020, 03:05 PM
Dave, I hate to hear stuff like this. If I may ask what was your commission deal with Crazy Uncle? -10%? Just looking for the reason why someone would give 1m +/- worth of items to a new auction company.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 03:08 PM
So Aaron sold $750k worth of your stuff for only $250k? Do you think you will see the $250k at least?

Hopefully........but it took him until 2 weeks ago to fully pay me on the auction that closed on March 15th.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 03:10 PM
Dave, I hate to hear stuff like this. If I may ask what was your commission deal with Crazy Uncle? -10%? Just looking for the reason why someone would give 1m +/- worth of items to a new auction company.

It was 5%. But with the guarantee that I would be protected with reserves, I thought that there would be no losses. I guess his greed and incompetence when it comes to business got in the way. And that's not libel either.

marzoumanian
07-09-2020, 04:06 PM
First, Dave, I want to say I am very sorry you went through this.
If it is any comfort, remember these four words: This too shall pass. Don't let this affect your physical OR mental health. Life is too precious.
Now to the point. Every week I listen to PSA's Great American Collectibles Show. The June 17, 2020 show (Podcast 189) featured none other than Aaron from Crazy Uncles. It is hard to pinpoint but I heard something in his voice, perhaps it was the hesitancy in it, the slight pauses, that signaled to me that I'll stick with who I currently use. There was also a bit of hype in his talk, but that's understandable; he's pumping up his June 15-27 auction.
Bottom line, you be the judge. I'm 64 so maybe my age also has something to do with planning to stick with the REAs of the auction world.
Somewhat ironically (if that's the right word!) I just wrote on my website, www.markearzoumanian.com, a two part blog (under "Love of the Hobby") on having a plan when selling your cards and sets and choosing the best auction house. I know this sounds like I'm trying to hype the website. Sorry. But if you can cull a nugget or two from what I wrote, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.
Enough said. When things go wrong for me, I always ask myself: What lesson did I learn from this?
Peace and stay healthy.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 04:37 PM
If it is any comfort, remember these four words: This too shall pass. Don't let this affect your physical OR mental health. Life is too precious.
Now to the point. Every week I listen to PSA's Great American Collectibles Show. The June 17, 2020 show (Podcast 189) featured none other than Aaron from Crazy Uncles. It is hard to pinpoint but I heard something in his voice, perhaps it was the hesitancy in it, the slight pauses, that signaled to me that I'll stick with who I currently use. There was also a bit of hype in his talk, but that's understandable; he's pumping up his June 15-27 auction.
Bottom line, you be the judge. I'm 64 so maybe my age also has something to do with planning to stick with the REAs of the auction world.
Somewhat ironically (if that's the right word!) I just wrote on my website, www.markearzoumanian.com, a two part blog (under "Love of the Hobby") on having a plan when selling your cards and sets and choosing the best auction house. I know this sounds like I'm trying to hype the website. Sorry. But if you can cull a nugget or two from what I wrote, it might be worth a few minutes of your time.
Enough said. When things go wrong for me, I always ask myself: What lesson did I learn from this?
Peace and stay healthy.

Thank you Mark for the words and the insight. Very expensive lesson learned. I just hope others read my post and decide for themselves if this is a company to work with. Not saying they should or shouldn't before Aaron threatens to sue me again........just saying weigh all your options and decide for yourselves !!!

Bicem
07-09-2020, 06:06 PM
Do you have the written/signed contract detailing the reserves/details?

Sorry this happened to you, unreal.

bigfish
07-09-2020, 06:20 PM
Thank you Mark for the words and the insight. Very expensive lesson learned. I just hope others read my post and decide for themselves if this is a company to work with. Not saying they should or shouldn't before Aaron threatens to sue me again........just saying weigh all your options and decide for yourselves !!!

Dave, sorry you had to deal with this disaster. I have bought several nice cards from you and remember you’re meticulous spreadsheets and pricing.

Thank you for sharing this on the board. It will help us make informed decisions moving forward.

Arazi4442
07-09-2020, 06:26 PM
Sorry this happened to you Dave. It's a genuine shame how some people conduct business in this hobby.

CJDave
07-09-2020, 06:31 PM
Sorry this happened to you Dave. It's a genuine shame how some people conduct business in this hobby.

Amen

CJDave
07-09-2020, 06:32 PM
Dave, sorry you had to deal with this disaster. I have bought several nice cards from you and remember you’re meticulous spreadsheets and pricing.

Thank you for sharing this on the board. It will help us make informed decisions moving forward.

Many thanks. I am honest with people, just hoping people would give me the same courtesy.

MikeKam
07-09-2020, 06:58 PM
Many thanks. I am honest with people, just hoping people would give me the same courtesy.

Did you consign the Al Capone piece to this auction?

bobbyw8469
07-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Peace and stay healthy.

Mark...I ready your blog about what Dean at REA did for your 1968 Set!!! That is awesome!!! Most sellers wouldn't even go to that much trouble and would just sell the set as is. The fact that he was skilled enough to know what to look for speaks volumes.

marzoumanian
07-09-2020, 07:53 PM
Glad you enjoyed the piece.

Dean is the man.

You know, none of us choose our parents. I will always be thankful that my late mom and dad provided me with a moral code to live by, NOT by the words they spoke to me BUT in their actions day in and day out, year in and year out.

Glad to see that Dean's parents provided him with a solid moral code, which I am sure he is passing on to HIS children.

It was a pleasure to tell the story.

Peace and stay healthy!

hcv123
07-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Really sorry you are going through this. I hope it is speedily resolved at least somewhat to your satisfaction. I have a couple of questions.

1) There is supposed to be a consignment contract when you consign material to an auction house - Reserves if any are written in as part of the contract (the sheets you reference attached and referenced would I believe have a similar binding effect). Do you have this paperwork? If so, I believe you would have significant grounds for a lawsuit. If not, why not?

2) I totally understand (and support) your desire to help out a new business - That accounts for the first auction experience. I am perplexed after the details of your first experience with them why there was a 2nd?

Orioles1954
07-09-2020, 09:00 PM
Glad you enjoyed the piece.

Dean is the man.

You know, none of us choose our parents. I will always be thankful that my late mom and dad proved me with a moral code to live by, NOT by the words they spoke to me BUT in their actions day in and day out, year in and year out.

Glad to see that Dean's parents provided him with a solid moral code, which I am sure he is passing on to HIS children.

It was a pleasure to tell the story.

Peace and stay healthy!

Good auction houses will go through each set and seek out those variations. It's really a win-win for both consignor/auction house and usually leads to repeat consignments. As someone who works for an auction house and has gone through thousands of 1950s-1970s sets, we typically have these sets memorized every which way and know what to look for. For instance, today I wrote a 1952 Topps partial set and went through my mental checklist of weird variations to search out. Nothing came of it but a good auction house will go the extra mile. It's always great when a company under promises and over performs. Glad it worked out for you!

Rhotchkiss
07-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Dave, thank you for telling your story. Sounds like some real bad stuff went down. I’m sorry.

CJDave
07-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Really sorry you are going through this. I hope it is speedily resolved at least somewhat to your satisfaction. I have a couple of questions.

1) There is supposed to be a consignment contract when you consign material to an auction house - Reserves if any are written in as part of the contract (the sheets you reference attached and referenced would I believe have a similar binding effect). Do you have this paperwork? If so, I believe you would have significant grounds for a lawsuit. If not, why not?

2) I totally understand (and support) your desire to help out a new business - That accounts for the first auction experience. I am perplexed after the details of your first experience with them why there was a 2nd?

Hi and thank you for the positive wishes, but I doubt they will resolve this matter amicably.

I do have email and text correspondences back and forth detailing the reserves he agreed to place and the understanding from Aaron that I would be perfectly protected. Many of these items were left over from the first auction which we have a written agreement on with respect to reserves......that written agreement on the same items would carry to the second auction.

In respect to your other question, Aaron admitted he screwed up on the first auction with this glitch in the system and promised to make it up to me on the second auction by going the extra mile and giving me a higher return to make up for the losses his error caused me. Perhaps this is a foolish philosophy but I believe everyone deserves a second chance to prove themselves. I've made mistakes in my youth but I have proven myself in my adulthood. He was a startup company and there were bound to be bugs and flaws in his procedures. Perhaps I am too trusting of people and believe there is more good than bad in the world. Maybe not so much a foolish philosophy, but a foolish person I dealt with. I just hope other read my post and decide for themselves if this is someone to do business with.

Thank you.

CJDave
07-10-2020, 06:17 AM
Dave, thank you for telling your story. Sounds like some real bad stuff went down. I’m sorry.

Thank you. This is very unfortunate. It really ruins my belief in people and more and more I am understanding that greed conquers good.

bobbyw8469
07-10-2020, 06:31 AM
Thank you. This is very unfortunate. It really ruins my belief in people and more and more I am understanding that greed conquers good.

I wouldn't let it ruin your belief in people. But people should definitely PROVE themselves before they are to be trusted. Be it with past reviews, or the simple fact of being able to find their LLC.

CJDave
07-10-2020, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't let it ruin your belief in people. But people should definitely PROVE themselves before they are to be trusted. Be it with past reviews, or the simple fact of being able to find their LLC.

You are right. I just hope people read these comments from everyone and think really hard who the right auction house(s) to go with is.

ALR-bishop
07-10-2020, 07:09 AM
Howard and Jeff's questions about the contract are pretty important. What the first contract says, how it can be tied to the second auction and how the later emails and texts actually work to alter or amend the first contract, especially as to the second auction may be important issues of interpretation for your attorney to review with you. Good luck

CJDave
07-10-2020, 08:59 AM
Howard and Jeff's questions about the contract are pretty important. What the first contract says, how it can be tied to the second auction and how the later emails and texts actually work to alter or amend the first contract, especially as to the second auction may be important issues of interpretation for your attorney to review with you. Good luck

Thank you Al. As it so happens, in respect to the reserves, the contract says "see attached list" with the name of the computer file. The computer file details the item and the reserve price.

Then my emails and texts further support his promise to protect my financial interests.

The facts that the first auction had reserves built in (except for the few that "slipped through the cracks") should have carried those reserves to the second auction.

Lastly, the act of dumping all of my collectibles without the courtesy of a phone call in front of my house, for not only the potential of being stolen but the fact that some of these collectibles were 200-250 year old historical documents signed by our founding fathers that would have been ruined in this heat. That just shows a lack of caring, a lack of professionalism, and a lack of class on his part.

sflayank
07-10-2020, 11:30 AM
Has anyone received their winnings yet?

obcmac
07-11-2020, 05:58 PM
I received half and was told the other half was arriving next week.

sflayank
07-11-2020, 06:27 PM
What?...why would they send you half your winnings?

obcmac
07-11-2020, 06:44 PM

It does seem unusual, but I was told items were being sent from different locations.

White Borders
07-11-2020, 06:44 PM
I received half and was told the other half was arriving next week.

Today I received the dozen cards I won, but not the coins. Yet.

hcv123
07-11-2020, 07:40 PM
Thank you Al. As it so happens, in respect to the reserves, the contract says "see attached list" with the name of the computer file. The computer file details the item and the reserve price.

Then my emails and texts further support his promise to protect my financial interests.

The facts that the first auction had reserves built in (except for the few that "slipped through the cracks") should have carried those reserves to the second auction.

Lastly, the act of dumping all of my collectibles without the courtesy of a phone call in front of my house, for not only the potential of being stolen but the fact that some of these collectibles were 200-250 year old historical documents signed by our founding fathers that would have been ruined in this heat. That just shows a lack of caring, a lack of professionalism, and a lack of class on his part.

to have already consulted an attorney regarding the items sold below your reserves!?

The dumping your stuff in front of your house deserves an arms length list of comments like douchebag, 2 year old, completely and utterly unprofessional, someone who is clearly in the WRONG business - unless any of it was damaged in any way, then I just don't know if there is a cause of action there - certainly will serve to support his "I don't give a rats ass" attitude regarding the reserves.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-11-2020, 07:42 PM
Today I received the dozen cards I won, but not the coins. Yet.

It does seem unusual, but I was told items were being sent from different locations.

So on top of everything else it sounds like they're selling items that they don't have possession of. Always scary.

ruth-gehrig
07-11-2020, 08:54 PM

What's the name of their company again?;)

Kidnapped18
07-12-2020, 12:03 AM
That pales in comparison to some of the incorrect pricing !!!!!!

Yes it does...that was small potatoes compared to the rest of your items!

cannonballsun
07-12-2020, 07:00 AM
Peace and stay healthy.

I read your blog. I found it very interesting and enjoyable. I especially like what you said about customer service should be the deciding factor in choosing an auction house. When an item goes to an auction, many factors decide how much it will sell for, most which are out of the control of the auction house.
I would say that this very pertinent to this discussion.

chalupacollects
07-12-2020, 07:44 AM
Question:

Why would a district attorney be involved in what would be considered a civil case and not criminal??

Answer:

They wouldn't...

CJDave
07-12-2020, 01:59 PM
Question:

Why would a district attorney be involved in what would be considered a civil case and not criminal??

Answer:

They wouldn't...

I imagine he tried using it as a scare tactic that he has friends in high places and he is above the law. But I don't get intimated that easily......or in fact at all.

CJDave
07-12-2020, 02:25 PM
So as a further update to everyone, and just when I thought Aaron from Crazy Uncle's couldn't:
a) stoop any lower,
b) couldn't have any less regard for other peoples hard earned and cherished property and
c) couldn't act with any less professionalism and class that he has already............

As I am on vacation this weekend away from home with my family, I get a call from a neighbor that another large batch of my stuff was dumped in front of my house DURING A TROPICAL STORM !!!!!!!! (and again without any notice or warning that items were being dumped there this weekend !!!!) and again within 30 feet of the street in plain sight for anyone to steal. By the time I had the neighbor grab the items for me, they said many of the boxes were soaked!!! I have no idea what items are in the boxes as I won't be home until later tonight, but if these are 200-250 year old historical documents signed by our forefathers, if it were non-encapsulated baseball memorabilia, or if it were any of hundreds upon hundreds of items he had in his possession of mine.........then these items are ruined.

By the quantity of items, this is at least another $250K worth of my valuable collection !!!

I ask this....where and when does this ABSURDITY end ?!?!?!?!?

Sean1125
07-12-2020, 02:30 PM
Dude.

toppcat
07-12-2020, 03:44 PM
Dude.

I sure hope you have insurance on such an important historical trove.

slidekellyslide
07-12-2020, 03:49 PM
So as a further update to everyone, and just when I thought Aaron from Crazy Uncle's couldn't:
a) stoop any lower,
b) couldn't have any less regard for other peoples hard earned and cherished property and
c) couldn't act with any less professionalism and class that he has already............

As I am on vacation this weekend away from home with my family, I get a call from a neighbor that another large batch of my stuff was dumped in front of my house DURING A TROPICAL STORM !!!!!!!! (and again without any notice or warning that items were being dumped there this weekend !!!!) and again within 30 feet of the street in plain sight for anyone to steal. By the time I had the neighbor grab the items for me, they said many of the boxes were soaked!!! I have no idea what items are in the boxes as I won't be home until later tonight, but if these are 200-250 year old historical documents signed by our forefathers, if it were non-encapsulated baseball memorabilia, or if it were any of hundreds upon hundreds of items he had in his possession of mine.........then these items are ruined.

By the quantity of items, this is at least another $250K worth of my valuable collection !!!

I ask this....where and when does this ABSURDITY end ?!?!?!?!?

Dave, did you have any kind of relationship with this Aaron guy before you consigned? And why didn't you go and pick up any stuff you still had with these jokers after the first time he dumped stuff on your lawn?

It's incredulous to me that anyone with your caliber of collection would consign a second time to a company that treated you so horribly the first time.

I can't imagine this company will be in business much longer. It sounds like they had no clue how to run an auction the first time and they learned nothing in between the first and second.

Neal
07-12-2020, 04:06 PM
This should be on Netflix

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ullmandds
07-12-2020, 04:11 PM
Dave, did you have any kind of relationship with this Aaron guy before you consigned? And why didn't you go and pick up any stuff you still had with these jokers after the first time he dumped stuff on your lawn?

It's incredulous to me that anyone with your caliber of collection would consign a second time to a company that treated you so horribly the first time.

I can't imagine this company will be in business much longer. It sounds like they had no clue how to run an auction the first time and they learned nothing in between the first and second.

+1

ALR-bishop
07-12-2020, 04:13 PM
We need a Paul Harvey

Shoeless Moe
07-12-2020, 04:13 PM
This should be on Netflix

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Haha!!! Yah I'm now hoping he consigns for a 3rd time!!!

Be a great plot twist........

BRoberts
07-12-2020, 04:23 PM
Does Aaron have possession any more of your consignments that are worth 6 figures that he could dump on your lawn? After he did that the first time, why didn't you get the rest of your stuff back? I'm confused.

CJDave
07-12-2020, 04:36 PM
Hi Dan,

Just to expand, no I didn't have a relationship prior to 2020 with Aaron or Crazy Uncle. In early 2020 I consigned a very substantial load between three companies (REA, LOTG and CU). The first two being larger, more established ones and the third being a newbie......but I liked the idea of helping out a newer company because I was a newbie in my field of employment once too and someone gave me a chance.

In answer to your question, Aaron wouldn't take my calls or answer my emails. I have no idea where his warehouse is (that he said he supposedly had). I tried getting the rest of my stuff. Finally after blowing up his phone with a dozen consecutive calls, he picked up threw a lot of legal threats at me if I mentioned any of this on Net54 and said he will return my stuff as he gets to it.......not until. The thought of calling the police occurred to me but most likely they would say this is a civil matter. There are other legal avenues I can look into.

Now to clarify, the first auction ran fairly smoothly and I can not say he treated me horribly, just made some errors. The sales didn't go too well but that could have been a reflection on some economic issues in the world. Aaron listed for me all my reserves on the first auction and for the most part nothing sold that shouldn't with a few exceptions that he says was a glitch in his system and some items sold below the reserve price. (Now keep in mind, many of the items that did not sell in the first auction which he had the reserve price in the system already means he had to intentionally delete my reserve). He seemed genuinely sorry for the screw up that cost me well over $10K. He promised to work extra hard for me, showcase all of my items and make that loss up to me and reimburse me for the loss if I gave him another chance.....Again, he seemed genuine......but so did Brutus seem genuine before stabbing Caesar !!!

You are correct......they are clueless, ruthless, and probably penniless !!!!!!

CJDave
07-12-2020, 04:43 PM

CJDave
07-12-2020, 04:44 PM
Does Aaron have possession any more of your consignments that are worth 6 figures that he could dump on your lawn? After he did that the first time, why didn't you get the rest of your stuff back? I'm confused.

I am not certain if he has anymore of my items. I was taking inventory of what he dumped back to me the first time vs. what he "sold" at the last auction. Until I get home this evening and see what was dumped in round 2, I won't know if anything is missing........I am more troubled and concerned if anything is damaged from the storm.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-12-2020, 05:59 PM
Damn Dave, Worst part is suing them isn't going to prove anything because it's doubtful any money will still be there to collect. Did we ever discover if they're even a real LLC? Maybe registered in Delaware like a lot of LLC's?

CJDave
07-12-2020, 06:24 PM
Damn Dave, Worst part is suing them isn't going to prove anything because it's doubtful any money will still be there to collect. Did we ever discover if they're even a real LLC? Maybe registered in Delaware like a lot of LLC's?

I'm having trouble finding them too.......which means there's probably no errors and omissions insurance.

CJDave
07-12-2020, 06:31 PM

So their contract says they fall under the laws of the State of New Jersey. When I do a search under State of New Jersey Division of Revenue and Enterprise Services Business Name Search......it come back as Nada......which is Spanish for "This Company is Full of Crap"!!!......No offense to my Spanish speaking members.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-12-2020, 06:36 PM
Hope you at least get your disappointing consignors check. I assume you got the check for the first auction?

CJDave
07-12-2020, 06:45 PM
Hope you at least get your disappointing consignors check. I assume you got the check for the first auction?

About 3 weeks ago I finally got paid in full. Apparently, although I doubt anything out of Aaron's mouth was ever true, a lot of people went on payment plans and it took three months for some to pay. But hey, with this auction isn't it awesome to make 30 cents on the dollar. A nice half million dollar loss because of this scam he pulled !!!

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-12-2020, 06:59 PM
An auction shouldn't be making a consignor wait because they're putting buyers on plans. Isn't a payment schedule part of the contract?

bobbyw8469
07-12-2020, 07:08 PM
I predict that is the last auction we ever see from Crazy Uncle. I am sorry you got scammed.

scgaynor
07-12-2020, 07:15 PM
A legit auction house should be bonded and insured so that you are covered if something like this ever happens.

I have been doing weekly/monthly auctions for the past 23 years and always carried insurance at the very least. When I got an auctioneers license about 10 years ago, I was required to be bonded as well (most states that license auctioneers also require bonding).

I don't know New Jersey laws, but if they require licensing to do auctions, you might want to check with the state Division of Standards to file a complaint. If they are doing auctions without a licensed auctioneer present that would be a problem for them as well.

Scott

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-12-2020, 07:27 PM
Hey Scott,

Most auctioneers in Sports specifically locate in non-license states on purpose. You and I are unicorns. New Jersey is a non-licensed state. I actually ran auctions there while I was still in school.

Also, in this case bond probably wouldn't mean much. I am bonded as I have to be in PA, but it's only $5k which wouldn't help Dave out much.

MCyganik
07-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Just my 2 cents but it seems Aaron bit off more than he could chew with this enterprise this early in the game.

Despite his billed pedigree from Steiners, he only worked there 3 years and less than 2 years as a "senior auction coordinator". His resume makes no mention of auction/sports memorabilia experience before that.

His website and prior posts on here make strong mention that he's been a collector since the 1980s... considering he's 39/40, he's using his time as a small child to establish a reputation as a long-time collector.

He claims the auction house has owners with a lot of capital potentially investing in him/CU, but has admitted in prior auctions he's essentially a 1-man shipper.

This would not be a big deal for an auction house just starting out with a manageable size of lots and moderate investment pieces, but he seemed to attract some big fish (CJDave included) with over 1200 lots for sale and 50+ items selling for over $2k+ including the $79k Batman #1.

If he's a 1-man consignee/invoicer/shipper and his investors are hands-off, I imagine trying to deal with so many consigners/buyers who are invested in such expensive items will inevitably overwhelm him with such a large volume. And unless he's extremely detail-oriented and working non-stop, it's going to take a looooooooong time to fulfill such a large auction.

My hope is CJDave and the other consigners and buyers will get this worked out with him and he and his investors learn something from this. But considering this is the 3rd(?) auction CU has run and none of them have gotten good word of mouth, I don't see this getting much better for awhile, if ever.

slidekellyslide
07-12-2020, 11:14 PM
Wait, this Aaron fellow came from Steiners? And this is how he is running his auctions? Good grief. I'm sorry Dave, I hope you get your check and all your stuff back.

x2drich2000
07-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Just figured i would give an update. The original check I sent was received and credited to my account. A new invoice was sent to me this morning, however, the invoice is still not correct. On the original invoice I was emailed, there was an extra lot listed (assuming it was a duplicate of another lot). That lot has now been removed from the invoice, however, the price of that lot is still used to calculate the BP.

hcv123
07-13-2020, 07:14 AM
Did the items left out in the rain make it to you unscathed?

CJDave
07-13-2020, 07:24 AM
Hi Howard,

Unfortunately some were damaged. The encapsulated items appear to be ok....but some of the non-encapsulated items are not in its previous condition. I am photographing the items to document everything. Luckily, and for once my OCD is beneficial, that I had before pics and scans of the items. There also appears to be quite a few missing items but I am still inventorying everything. The saga continues !!!

CJDave
07-14-2020, 01:38 PM
Hi Howard,

Unfortunately some were damaged. The encapsulated items appear to be ok....but some of the non-encapsulated items are not in its previous condition. I am photographing the items to document everything. Luckily, and for once my OCD is beneficial, that I had before pics and scans of the items. There also appears to be quite a few missing items but I am still inventorying everything. The saga continues !!!

So some of the expensive presidential framed signatures are definitely damaged from being left out in a either 95 degree weather and/or a tropical storm. Some tickets stubs got wet as did some autographed baseballs and some historical memorabilia. Further there is at least $200K worth of items that are not accounted for. I don't know what kind of game they are trying to play but I am beyond beside myself. Maybe I can get George Washington or Samuel Adams to sign these documents again...….oh wait, I can't, they have been dead for over 200 years !!!

slidekellyslide
07-14-2020, 04:10 PM
So some of the expensive presidential framed signatures are definitely damaged from being left out in a either 95 degree weather and/or a tropical storm. Some tickets stubs got wet as did some autographed baseballs and some historical memorabilia. Further there is at least $200K worth of items that are not accounted for. I don't know what kind of game they are trying to play but I am beyond beside myself. Maybe I can get George Washington or Samuel Adams to sign these documents again...….oh wait, I can't, they have been dead for over 200 years !!!

Time to call a lawyer.

DCDSports
07-14-2020, 04:20 PM
Have you checked with your insurance (or theirs) to see if damage in transit is covered? I know our insurance covered any items of ours whether it was shipped out or shipped in.

We also made sure that, whenever our material was stored somewhere else (be it museum or auction house or whatever) that we had a letter from their insurance company covering the material.

Worth looking into.

slidekellyslide
07-14-2020, 04:46 PM
Have you checked with your insurance (or theirs) to see if damage in transit is covered? I know our insurance covered any items of ours whether it was shipped out or shipped in.

We also made sure that, whenever our material was stored somewhere else (be it museum or auction house or whatever) that we had a letter from their insurance company covering the material.

Worth looking into.

Will the insurance company cover gross negligence though? I would think leaving boxes of valuable items on the lawn during a storm might disqualify your coverage.

CJDave
07-14-2020, 05:30 PM

Worth looking into.

Thank you Doug, definitely worth checking out.

slidekellyslide
07-14-2020, 06:53 PM
You can't even find their LLC, I doubt they had insurance. Is this guy still sending you threats about "slander"?

CJDave
07-14-2020, 07:01 PM
You can't even find their LLC, I doubt they had insurance. Is this guy still sending you threats about "slander"?

He's been ducking my calls and emails for weeks !!!

bobbyw8469
07-14-2020, 07:08 PM
He's been ducking my calls and emails for weeks !!!

I doubt you get your consignment check.

ruth-gehrig
07-14-2020, 07:08 PM
He hasnt been ducking this website.

todeen
07-14-2020, 07:28 PM
We need a Paul Harvey+1

This is a horrible story. But I'm impressed by how many people support you. You seem like an outstanding guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MonsterCards
07-14-2020, 08:39 PM
Has anyone received their winnings yet?

I'd like to thank the members here for sharing their experiences with Crazy Uncle. I almost always pay for my auction wins with a check to save the 3%, but after reading people's issues, I proceeded with Paypal/credit card.

http://www.monstercards.net/imagesm/cu2.JPG
Above shows the payment date.

Below shows that as of tonight, this invoice is still not marked paid.
As I have tried numerous time to reach Aaron via e-mail and phone, I'm not sure how to check on the status of my order, but at least I still have the option of a chargeback if these cards don't arrive.

http://www.monstercards.net/imagesm/cu1.JPG

CJDave
07-14-2020, 08:41 PM
+1

This is a horrible story. But I'm impressed by how many people support you. You seem like an outstanding guy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you Tim. We all have our faults and unless one has the word Saint before their name, then none of us are perfect. Bottom line is that I don't cheat people on business deals, I try to be as fair as possible. But I don't rip people off, I don't take advantage of people and I don't lie to make a buck !!!

Can we say that about Crazy Uncle's...…..I'll let everyone decide that for themselves.....just so that Aaron doesn't threaten to sue me again for slander (which is actually libel) as he threatened me if I said a word on Net54. I've said more than a word.....so Aaron, go ahead and sue....I double dog dare you !!!

hcv123
07-15-2020, 07:17 AM
I believe they have offered non biased reporting of good and bad in the hobby and I believe reach a lot more collectors than this board. I for one believe this story is "newsworthy". May be worth contacting them Dave - to see if they are interested in publishing the story - I am sure they would reach out to Aaron for "his side" and at the very least would put a high degree of pressure (assuming he has a desire to continue in the auction business) on him to make effort to right this wrong (as best he can at this point). Here is their contact info: editor@sportscollectorsdaily.com
I would have sent the email myself, but believe it is your decision to make.

marzoumanian
07-15-2020, 08:13 AM
It is indeed a great website, as it gathers news, both good and negative, about the hobby.
I just recently dealt with Rich in connection with a two-part blog about having a plan to sell your cards/sets through an auction house/eBay. Rich had me change/edit some material in the two pieces, which any good editor should do. He also had me take out a flip remark I made about the PSA scandal. And that's fine too. And let's not forget he has advertisers that support him so if a "scandal" broke out about one of them, don't look for Rich to report on it UNLESS a piece has already been published about it elsewhere. That's key.
Here's my point: I don't see Rich tackling this particular story for the simple reason that he is not an investigative reporter. He's a gatherer of stories from other newspapers/sources. Some good, some negative.
It's worth a shot, of course, Dave. But I see a big problem in the fact that there is not a truly independent reporting source when it comes to the current available media outlets for this hobby/industry. They are all supported by advertising to one degree or another.
Just thought I would provide that firsthand experience, which I have also had with a number of the other industry trade pubs in recent years.
Peace and stay healthy.

Jay Wolt
07-15-2020, 09:40 AM
Dave sorry this happened to you.
Why did so many lots get no bids, didn't C.U. list them all or list them properly?
Auction houses usually list a lot at a fraction of its value as they love spirited bidding.
So curious why hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of memorabilia went unbid & was returned.

Can you post some links of a few of the unsold lots?

Hope you get your missing items & consignment check in a timely fashion.

CJDave
07-15-2020, 10:49 AM
Dave sorry this happened to you.
Why did so many lots get no bids, didn't C.U. list them all or list them properly?
Auction houses usually list a lot at a fraction of its value as they love spirited bidding.
So curious why hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of memorabilia went unbid & was returned.

Can you post some links of a few of the unsold lots?

Hope you get your missing items & consignment check in a timely fashion.

He couldn't handle the quantity even though he kept asking for more and more. So many never even made it to the auction.....I am assuming also in hopes that he would have enough to make his next auction look substantial.

Horrible marketing. Only sending out email blasts isn't enough. He wouldn't even take out a banner ad on Net54. Not sure if it was out of cheapness or bad strategy.

Leon
07-15-2020, 11:26 AM
He couldn't handle the quantity even though he kept asking for more and more. So many never even made it to the auction.....I am assuming also in hopes that he would have enough to make his next auction look substantial.

Horrible marketing. Only sending out email blasts isn't enough. He wouldn't even take out a banner ad on Net54. Not sure if it was out of cheapness or bad strategy.

Aaron told me it is because our members criticize him and why he doesn't do more advertising with Net54baseball.

bobbyw8469
07-15-2020, 11:44 AM
Aaron told me it is because our members criticize him and why he doesn't do more advertising with Net54baseball.

Maybe they criticize him for a reason. It is easy to change the negative things in your life. He needs to start by looking in the mirror. He was given a gift of a consignment and abused it.

hcv123
07-15-2020, 11:47 AM

I'd prefer to NOT see his advertisements here based on many horrifically bad service experiences reported by members.

On a side note, ironically every time someone uses the abbreviation C.U. - my mind immediately thinks - Collectors Universe - Then - oh no - Crazy Uncle - Then, well maybe there's something to the initials C.U. and customer/company service issues.

swarmee
07-15-2020, 12:08 PM
They spent their money advertising at Blowout. I linked this article to one of their promotional posts so people there could read about how they run auctions.

Here was the email sent to all of their account holders:
Crazy Uncle Auctions

Our featured advertiser is Crazy Uncle Auctions. Everything from graded Mickey Mantle rookies to autographed Michael Jordan rookies and Batman #1 to Harry Houdini signed postcards.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-15-2020, 02:17 PM

Kinda putting the chicken before the cart or the horse in front of the egg or something like that.

teza11
07-15-2020, 02:22 PM
Should have been called the Big Bummer Auction!

Jeff

Exhibitman
07-15-2020, 05:30 PM
Kinda putting the chicken before the cart or the horse in front of the egg or something like that.

Throwing the baby out with the chicken before it hatches under the horse after it got out of the barn then closing the door.

MCyganik
07-15-2020, 05:51 PM
FWIW I got my card in the mail today. They sent a shipping notification a few days ago and everything turned up cleanly.

Not sure if that is because I've made a few posts on here and Aaron wanted to make sure my one whole card got out to avoid further bad press or not (if so, Hi Aaron), but either way take the spirit of my posts from POV of the small-time collector.

As I wrote before, this enterprise just seems like it is way over its head at the moment. You see it all the time in tech startups. One guy gets his feet wet with a big company, strikes out on his own with only a fraction of experience, then goes overboard trying to make that company a major player in the game without having any sort of actual infrastructure or quality control in place. Then when it comes crashing down, instead of having a network of support or set of ethics in place, it devolves into a blame game.

I'm small potatoes, so no I'm not going to consign 500k or buy 500k at an auction house. I hope that gets worked out between Aaron and CJDave and anyone else who is feeling screwed over. I'd be happy to try CUA again at a later date if there's actual positive experiences and quality control developed in the future. But it's sounding like some serious legal mistakes have already been made. Lets hope for all parties involved there's appropriate resolution.

Snapolit1
07-15-2020, 06:01 PM
What always amazes me in this hobby is how people decide who the good guys and bad guys are and then conveniently ignore all the evidence that their self-appointed good guys aren't anywhere near as sparkling saintly as they suggest. ("Ah, it was only one [fraud investigation] [lawsuit]. And [owner] explained what he has in place now. I'm not bothered.")

Sort of like ranting about a guy cheating with steroids . . . until he gets traded to your team. Then it's not such a big deal at all.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-15-2020, 06:17 PM
Throwing the baby out with the chicken before it hatches under the horse after it got out of the barn then closing the door.

THAT'S it. Knew I was close.

Flintboy
07-15-2020, 06:30 PM

Placing the blame on others when things are clearly their own fault, that seems to be par for the course!

Own up for your mistakes and make things right. Not dropping off high dollar consignments in inclement weather and being easily accessible would be a good start.

CJDave
07-15-2020, 07:09 PM
Placing the blame on others when things are clearly their own fault, that seems to be par for the course!

Own up for your mistakes and make things right. Not dropping off high dollar consignments in inclement weather and being easily accessible would be a good start.

I wonder if Aaron ever hear the expression “a leopard never changes its spots” meaning that it's impossible for one to change their character.....I guess no character is a type of character.

taul166
07-15-2020, 07:32 PM
As many of you know, Crazy Uncles has been on the weekly Great American Collectibles Show (sponsored by PSA) a couple of times with the hosts Tom Zappala and Rico Petrocelli to promote their auctions. I don't know much about how guests are invited, but I am sure these visits are all pre-arranged and follow a script. I assume they will be on future shows as future auctions are scheduled.

sportscomicfantasy
07-16-2020, 12:39 AM
Dave, I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope it gets worked out to some satisfaction for you. I may be wrong but it seems to me that your in a position that you don't need the money, not that it is fair or right that you got your items undersold. But I most distraught over the totally unwarranted and horribly wrong unloading of your items on your front doorstep with no warning or anything!

You were the next person in line who seriously took up the mantle of preserving, keeping, and ready to pass on to the next caretaker of the items you have. I watch the show "American Pickers" and I love it. The people they meet are mostly people who love their items and many of them feel as if they are preserving history, teaching and some want to pass them on to the next caretaker of the items. I don't know you but you seem like that type of person from what I have read in my limited experience reading on here.

I also want to thank everyone here for letting the community know about what happened to them. I know now that I have to be very careful when thinking about bidding in their auction if I do. I have a few auctions I bid on where I have to lower my max bids for various reasons from previous experiences of mine with them. I just reframe from never bidding with them again because I don't want to lose out on an item I would really want at a good price I can actually afford.

brianp-beme
07-16-2020, 12:56 AM

...got out of the barn then closing the door and slipping on the bathwater.

Brian (closing the proverbial baby/bathwater loop)

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-16-2020, 05:01 AM
I wonder if Aaron ever hear the expression “a leopard never changes its spots” meaning that it's impossible for one to change their character.....I guess no character is a type of character.

Are you sure it's not "That's a leopard of another color?"

Sorry, trying to inject a little levity.

I do hope for the best for you, but I have the nasty feeling nothing is going to fix EVERYTHING that has gone wrong in this case.

CJDave
07-16-2020, 08:59 AM
Dave, I am so sorry this happened to you. I hope it gets worked out to some satisfaction for you. I may be wrong but it seems to me that your in a position that you don't need the money, not that it is fair or right that you got your items undersold. But I most distraught over the totally unwarranted and horribly wrong unloading of your items on your front doorstep with no warning or anything!

You were the next person in line who seriously took up the mantle of preserving, keeping, and ready to pass on to the next caretaker of the items you have. I watch the show "American Pickers" and I love it. The people they meet are mostly people who love their items and many of them feel as if they are preserving history, teaching and some want to pass them on to the next caretaker of the items. I don't know you but you seem like that type of person from what I have read in my limited experience reading on here.

I also want to thank everyone here for letting the community know about what happened to them. I know now that I have to be very careful when thinking about bidding in their auction if I do. I have a few auctions I bid on where I have to lower my max bids for various reasons from previous experiences of mine with them. I just reframe from never bidding with them again because I don't want to lose out on an item I would really want at a good price I can actually afford.

Thank you Michael for those kind words. Here's the deal, I'm a history buff/nerd at heart. To have documents signed by George Washington, Ben Franklin, John and Samuel Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, and so on to me is like Doc Brown showing up with the DeLorean and taking me back to the Colonial days. I gave Aaron a signed document and/or a cut signature from EVERY U.S. President (From Washington to Trump) and EVERY U.S. Vice-President (From John Adams to Mike Pence). I mean has anyone even heard of John C. Calhoun who was VP for both our 6th and 7th Presidents - John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) and Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) or Hannibal Hamlin, VP for one of our most famous Presidents, Lincoln (1861-1865)…...I have, but I'm a geek. I further gave Aaron signed documents from 52 of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Basically I could have recreated the Declaration with authentic signatures (John Hancock, Charles Carroll, Benjamin Harrison.....some top names here). Everyone of these Presidential, VP or DOI signatures mentioned above were authenticated by either JSA, PSA or Beckett so you know they are real. Many of these items were beautifully framed in a reddish brown Cherrywood frame from the individual I bought these from who had the same love of preserving history as I do. Each frame cost well over $1,000 (he showed me the receipts) and they were all meticulous.

Now these documents were kept in a locked facility, temperature controlled for years. It is beyond disgusting to have left these out in front of my home in either 95 degree heat and/or a tropical storm. No warning, no protection, no nothing !!! And not to mention leaving $500K - $1MM worth of high end collectibles out in the open to anyone passing by to take !!!

There was over $75K-$100K in coins between thousands of silver half dollars, quarters and dimes from the 1800s and early 1900s plus high end coins like large cents from the 1800s and complete sets that he was instructed NOT to break apart and to list as a set, which he chose to ignore my instructions so now I am left with 2/3 complete sets.

This is not to mention the Blacksox memorabilia (ticket stubs to the games, signatures from almost every player on the team (except Shoeless Joe but I did have 5 Joe Jackson signatures from his wife as he was illiterate, plus a ton of other Blacksox items).

Then there was a ton of Yankee memorabilia 1923/1927/1928/1932 stubs/programs/autographs/bats/etc.

Historical autographs, Wright Brothers, Charles Lindburgh, Thomas Edison, Houdini, Civil War Generals, too many to list.

I could go on and on with the list of items he was consigned but bottom line is he lied to me, he screwed me, he avoided and hid from me, he had no regard for my items by dumping them and risking being ruined or stolen.....all to make the mighty dollar. Save those dollars, you will need them !!!!

Snapolit1
07-16-2020, 09:40 AM
Wowza. I'm sure some of the AHs with long track records of excellence on this board would have loved to had some of this amazing stuff.

Thank you Michael for those kind words. Here's the deal, I'm a history buff/nerd at heart. To have documents signed by George Washington, Ben Franklin, John and Samuel Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, and so on to me is like Doc Brown showing up with the DeLorean and taking me back to the Colonial days. I gave Aaron a signed document and/or a cut signature from EVERY U.S. President (From Washington to Trump) and EVERY U.S. Vice-President (From John Adams to Mike Pence). I mean has anyone even heard of John C. Calhoun who was VP for both our 6th and 7th Presidents - John Quincy Adams (1825-1829) and Andrew Jackson (1829-1837) or Hannibal Hamlin, VP for one of our most famous Presidents, Lincoln (1861-1865)…...I have, but I'm a geek. I further gave Aaron signed documents from 52 of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence. Basically I could have recreated the Declaration with authentic signatures (John Hancock, Charles Carroll, Benjamin Harrison.....some top names here). Everyone of these Presidential, VP or DOI signatures mentioned above were authenticated by either JSA, PSA or Beckett so you know they are real. Many of these items were beautifully framed in a reddish brown Cherrywood frame from the individual I bought these from who had the same love of preserving history as I do. Each frame cost well over $1,000 (he showed me the receipts) and they were all meticulous.

Now these documents were kept in a locked facility, temperature controlled for years. It is beyond disgusting to have left these out in front of my home in either 95 degree heat and/or a tropical storm. No warning, no protection, no nothing !!! And not to mention leaving $500K - $1MM worth of high end collectibles out in the open to anyone passing by to take !!!

There was over $75K-$100K in coins between thousands of silver half dollars, quarters and dimes from the 1800s and early 1900s plus high end coins like large cents from the 1800s and complete sets that he was instructed NOT to break apart and to list as a set, which he chose to ignore my instructions so now I am left with 2/3 complete sets.

This is not to mention the Blacksox memorabilia (ticket stubs to the games, signatures from almost every player on the team (except Shoeless Joe but I did have 5 Joe Jackson signatures from his wife as he was illiterate, plus a ton of other Blacksox items).

Then there was a ton of Yankee memorabilia 1923/1927/1928/1932 stubs/programs/autographs/bats/etc.

Historical autographs, Wright Brothers, Charles Lindburgh, Thomas Edison, Houdini, Civil War Generals, too many to list.

I could go on and on with the list of items he was consigned but bottom line is he lied to me, he screwed me, he avoided and hid from me, he had no regard for my items by dumping them and risking being ruined or stolen.....all to make the mighty dollar. Save those dollars, you will need them !!!!

mechanicalman
07-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Sounds like an amazing collection, and I share your love for history. I see they had about 250 historical items in their last auction. Just curious: were the items that were returned items that did not sell at any price, or were they items that sold, but for less than you wanted, so instead of shipping them to the winners, he's returning to you? Said another way, are there also some bidders who are getting "screwed" in this debacle? (Sorry if this was answered earlier.)

ajjohnsonsoxfan
07-16-2020, 10:16 AM

I can't imagine consigning all this to a new and unproven AH. All the time, effort and expense it took to accumulate and preserve these pieces of history and you give it all to a new company called Crazy Uncle? No excuse for the deplorable actions of CU, but man it just seems very cavalier.

Hope it all works out for you. Really hate to see irreplaceable pieces of history ruined.

perezfan
07-16-2020, 10:44 AM
Condolences.

But would still love to hear the other side of the story. You'd think Aaron would at least make a brief appearance here to defend some of these accusations. Otherwise, I have got to believe his company is toast.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope the courts can root out the truth and award proper restitution. Also hope you'll consign the unsold items to a more proven auction house such as REA or LOTG.

How about posting pics of a few items, just to give us a "sneak preview" and provide some free publicity for what's coming down the pike?

CJDave
07-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Sounds like an amazing collection, and I share your love for history. I see they had about 250 historical items in their last auction. Just curious: were the items that were returned items that did not sell at any price, or were they items that sold, but for less than you wanted, so instead of shipping them to the winners, he's returning to you? Said another way, are there also some bidders who are getting "screwed" in this debacle? (Sorry if this was answered earlier.)

The items returned for the most part never made it to the auction because he said he couldn't handle the volume, his site kept crashing, people are furloughed etc. The majority of what was returned was probably earmarked for the next auction.....along with some items that received no bids. Basically any item that had a bid was sold regardless of the reserve price I gave him, (which means some people got the deal of a lifetime, paying sometimes 1/3 of my reserve) but according to Aaron, at first he claims he didn't realize the prices I gave him were reserves, he says he thought they were the prices I paid for them (even though it was a similar list as the first auction which he did my reserves in....and furthermore many of these items were leftover from the first auction which had the same reserves.....that mans he had to intentionally delete the reserve prices in the system). Then he claims the amount of lots was too voluminous to put all those reserves in...….which was never communicated to me. I have countless texts to support my need to be financially protected.....and got the "yeah don't worry" from him.

At the end of the day, I am assuming any bidder who "won" will get their items.....the only one screwed is me !!!

CJDave
07-16-2020, 12:36 PM
Condolences.

But would still love to hear the other side of the story. You'd think Aaron would at least make a brief appearance here to defend some of these accusations. Otherwise, I have got to believe his company is toast.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope the courts can root out the truth and award proper restitution. Also hope you'll consign the unsold items to a more proven auction house such as REA or LOTG.

How about posting pics of a few items, just to give us a "sneak preview" and provide some free publicity for what's coming down the pike?

I welcome Aaron's responses.....and I would love to catch him in any lie that spews from his mouth. I know if someone was making falsehoods about me, rest assured I would be responding and defending myself.....can only assume he has no comebacks. Remember, he sent me the following emails and if he did nothing wrong, then what would cause him to send me this email: That said, we should handle this privately. In regard to your satisfaction as a customer, we blew it... I truly am sorry, I didn't want to have our relationship end after this auction and never on a bad note.

You'd think if for some crazy reason I was making this up about dropping stuff in front of my house, he would respond with something like he called me the night before and coordinated a drop off date/time/place. He knows full well that I was at work and that I work long hours, he was at my office on many occasions. Furthermore, the fact that he picked up all of my items from my office would ask the question, why not drop the stuff off where it was initially picked up? Or, regarding the failure to place the reserves, he'd say that he has an email or text to me prior to the start of the auction that stated he could not handle putting reserves on, how do I wish to proceed? But that hasn't happened and we can all see he has been on the website.

I was smart enough to document every conversation we had, keep every email, keep every text. It is possible, though I can not be certain or recall, that maybe I have additional proof of a conversation, or two, or three.....but I'm guessing if I do.

sflayank
07-16-2020, 01:02 PM
Dave i have 5 lots coming from crazy uncles..I hope...they're in the mail and should arrive friday and saturday...just incase I'll have to videotape opening them..making sure everything is there
That being ssid....for the life of me...how could anyone
With your money, knowledge, and collecting enthusiasm
Possibly give a million dollars worth of historical autographs documents etc...president vice president
Declaration of independence signers to an unknown auction....I wouldn't even put that stuff in any sports auction....that's for Christie's sotheby's etc...probably who you bought them from...I'm surprised you didnt give them a Picasso....that being said.noone should get screwed over like that...but it's almost like you said ..I dont know you but heres a million dollars do what u want

CJDave
07-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Dave i have 5 lots coming from crazy uncles..I hope...they're in the mail and should arrive friday and saturday...just incase I'll have to videotape opening them..making sure everything is there
That being ssid....for the life of me...how could anyone
With your money, knowledge, and collecting enthusiasm
Possibly give a million dollars worth of historical autographs documents etc...president vice president
Declaration of independence signers to an unknown auction....I wouldn't even put that stuff in any sports auction....that's for Christie's sotheby's etc...probably who you bought them from...I'm surprised you didnt give them a Picasso....that being said.noone should get screwed over like that...but it's almost like you said ..I dont know you but heres a million dollars do what u want

Hi Larry,

By no means am I saying the following to boast, that is not my style. Please note, I simultaneously gave a considerable consignment to REA (including a complete decent grade set of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks plus other pricey items. At the same time, I gave another considerable consignment to LOTG (including a complete decent grade set of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks plus other pricey items)….yes I had two complete sets. I also wanted to go with a third company, and when I reached out on the board with recommendations Aaron messaged me that he was a new company but could give me the one on one and dedicated personnel to help me move some excess collectibles. Now what I gave is by no means my entire collection and I have a lot of choice pieces left. As I mentioned before on this thread, I was young and hungry once and someone gave me a chance who had no reason to give me a chance. There were much much much more seasoned professionals than me, and I imagine more talented and educated than me, but I was given the chance, I ran with it, I proved myself and I kicked ass. Now today, maybe I am not as young, maybe not as hungry.....but I will never forget the opportunity I was given to shine.....and shine I did. So as many of you will call it stupid to give a startup AH this kind of a chance, I did it because I could relate. The stupid part was giving it to this specific startup...….who just ruined it for all other startups in the future as I wouldn't trust another startup again.

I hope this makes sense and people can understand where I was coming from and my intent...….again as stupid as it may sound.

teza11
07-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Dave, I'm really sorry about your situation and I hope that things work out for you, but it sounds really naive (at least to me) that you gave this guy such a big first chance...and after he blew that...an even bigger second chance to blow it again. I'm all for supporting the new guy, but to trust someone that you don't know really (really...) well with a $1M collection including irreplaceable U.S. historical items is outright irresponsible in my opinion. Regardless, that does not let him off the hook for all his mis-doings and I hope that the legal system supports you 110%.

I just had my first visit to the Crazy Uncle auctions site. Just for kicks I googled his business address. I know he's just starting out, but this would have been another red flag for me on where my priceless collection was headed. Second pic is from Apt's dot com. Hopefully the place is not this empty today.

Jeff

bobbyw8469
07-16-2020, 02:31 PM
I totally get giving a guy a chance to prove himself. TOTALLY. But to give a small startup who has NEVER proved himself close to a million dollars worth of valuables is unheard of. Couldn't you have given him $5,000-$10,000 just to see how he did with that first, before giving him a seven figure consignment?

brianp-beme
07-16-2020, 02:41 PM

Just for kicks I googled his business address. I know he's just starting out, but this would have been another red flag for me on where my priceless collection was headed. Second pic is from Apt's dot com. Hopefully the place is not this empty today.

Jeff

The office at least has a window air conditioner unit installed, though it has been cleverly disguised in the interior shot by a pulled down window blind.

Brian

sflayank
07-16-2020, 02:55 PM
Thsts all well and good
REA is the place for baseball stuff
But historical documents and coins are not for a sports auction.....if you gave him playball sets , something in that range for a test run...ok you gave it a shot
Lesson learned
Hopefully you'll get all your stuff and whatever money is due

Snapolit1
07-16-2020, 03:05 PM
Your desire to give a break to an upstart and pay forward a good break you got years ago is extraordinary and I tip my hat to you. You are wise enough to know how the entire trajectory of one's life can be changed by someone reaching down and trying to pull someone up. And when someone does it for no other reason than that its one of the very rewarding things to do in one's life.

Hoping you are made whole from this. I don't know anything about you but the high quality of your character is crystal clear to anyone who has read this thread.

QUOTE=CJDave;1999594]Hi Larry,

By no means am I saying the following to boast, that is not my style. Please note, I simultaneously gave a considerable consignment to REA (including a complete decent grade set of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks plus other pricey items. At the same time, I gave another considerable consignment to LOTG (including a complete decent grade set of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jacks plus other pricey items)….yes I had two complete sets. I also wanted to go with a third company, and when I reached out on the board with recommendations Aaron messaged me that he was a new company but could give me the one on one and dedicated personnel to help me move some excess collectibles. Now what I gave is by no means my entire collection and I have a lot of choice pieces left. As I mentioned before on this thread, I was young and hungry once and someone gave me a chance who had no reason to give me a chance. There were much much much more seasoned professionals than me, and I imagine more talented and educated than me, but I was given the chance, I ran with it, I proved myself and I kicked ass. Now today, maybe I am not as young, maybe not as hungry.....but I will never forget the opportunity I was given to shine.....and shine I did. So as many of you will call it stupid to give a startup AH this kind of a chance, I did it because I could relate. The stupid part was giving it to this specific startup...….who just ruined it for all other startups in the future as I wouldn't trust another startup again.

I hope this makes sense and people can understand where I was coming from and my intent...….again as stupid as it may sound.[/QUOTE]

CJDave
07-16-2020, 03:53 PM
I totally get giving a guy a chance to prove himself. TOTALLY. But to give a small startup who has NEVER proved himself close to a million dollars worth of valuables is unheard of. Couldn't you have given him $5,000-$10,000 just to see how he did with that first, before giving him a seven figure consignment?

I did give him a smaller consignment in the first auction. The auction didn't have too much traffic and he said he would focus on marketing better for the second auction. It was the second auction that I have him more and more per his begging and promise he would spotlight my stuff and "Market the Sh*t out of it".

CJDave
07-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Your desire to give a break to an upstart and pay forward a good break you got years ago is extraordinary and I tip my hat to you. You are wise enough to know how the entire trajectory of one's life can be changed by someone reaching down and trying to pull someone up. And when someone does it for no other reason than that its one of the very rewarding things to do in one's life.

Hoping you are made whole from this. I don't know anything about you but the high quality of your character is crystal clear to anyone who has read this thread.

QUOTE=CJDave;1999594]Hi Larry,

I hope this makes sense and people can understand where I was coming from and my intent...….again as stupid as it may sound.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve. Again, I'm not perfect but I believe in doing the right thing and doing right by people !!!

LOUCARDFAN
07-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Dave,

So sorry to read about the horrid details of the mess this guy caused. You are a much better person than me because I would have tracked him down and lets just say, worked out things a much different way.

Bicem
07-16-2020, 04:48 PM
I can understand why Dave went with Crazy Uncle on such a large consignment. They offered him reserves on seemingly every single lot including lower priced commons, something no other AH is going to do. It was obviously important to Dave to protect his investment at the values he perceived his collection to be worth, so really Crazy Uncle was his ONLY choice. I don't think it's unreasonable for Dave to have expected Crazy Uncle to not blatantly lie to him and fail to actually implement the reserves. If all the above details of what occurred are true, 100% of the blame lies with Crazy Uncle and not Dave in my opinion.

sportscomicfantasy
07-16-2020, 08:09 PM
First, no offense to those of you criticizing Dave, but how many of you have collections likely as good as Dave does. No one gets a collection like that unless they inherit it, win the lottery, or have done well in their lives to be able to acquire such a collection. It seems that Dave did the later, working his way through life to save such a great collection. So I think Dave is allowed to make a mistake here and there. I wish I was in a position to have made such a mistake. I am really sorry that this happened to him and know the rest of you do too, and sure those of you criticizing him wouldn't have done such a thing, but how many of you criticizing him have anywhere near the collection he does to even think about that, not happening???

Dave, I have been thinking about this for the last few days and thinking back to when I was thinking about this auction the first time I got an email about it. And I feel that I have to THANK YOU! I think I saw a lot of your expensive items on the auction site and thought I should stay on more affordable auctions sites.

I also understand your wanting to help out the new guy, heard your report of how someone gave you a chance and you ran with it hard, made something of yourself, and never looked back it seems. I know you said he ruined it for other future startups, but I stress you to re-think that.

Guessing you're a bit older than me, not too much but my point is that things were different years ago. I remember my parents opening up businesses with no money when I was a kid and they made something of themselves. They went bankrupt one time but paid all the little guys and let the big companies go into the bankruptcy. I too was given chances, though I didn't do as well as my parents did, I was happy to be given a chance which I did do good. But like most things in my life, bad timing, it was just before 9-11. You can't do that anymore, you need credit, you need money like never before and you still need a little luck.

A bit long-winded but my point is that you should give those chances to the next guy but along the lines of others who suggested a smaller first submission, which I know you said you did, but then just a little more each time until they really prove consistently that they are doing really good by you.

sportscomicfantasy
07-16-2020, 08:21 PM

I have been reading all the replies to both threads so I gathered how high quality, rare, and diversity of your collection. I also hate that the so well cared for items you had were treated like they were. I hate the ungrouping of your sets, I hate the reserves not put on your items, but the unforgivable item for collectors is what he did with your items by leaving them to the weather and anyone who happened by your house.

So of course I would not consign anything to him after hearing your story, but now I can't even think of bidding on anything because he obviously is not someone who cares about the items. I know some collect to make money in the future, but most of us collect because we love the item, the person, the team, or just for the historical value the items might have. I cannot contribute to this person making more money or saving him from his eventual demise in this endeavor.

I know he was on this board, don't know if he still is but he had plenty of time to put up his point of view, opinions, or opposition to all the things people have been saying. It just seems that Dave's problem trumps all of the others I have heard. His silence on here since the auction ended saying all I need to know!

CJDave
07-17-2020, 06:30 AM
I can understand why Dave went with Crazy Uncle on such a large consignment. They offered him reserves on seemingly every single lot including lower priced commons, something no other AH is going to do. It was obviously important to Dave to protect his investment at the values he perceived his collection to be worth, so really Crazy Uncle was his ONLY choice. I don't think it's unreasonable for Dave to have expected Crazy Uncle to not blatantly lie to him and fail to actually implement the reserves. If all the above details of what occurred are true, 100% of the blame lies with Crazy Uncle and not Dave in my opinion.

Hi Jeff. Thank you. You hit the nail on the head. No offense to the bigger AHs because I have consigned with them and they have been absolutely professional.....but sometimes the little guys can give you more of that 1 on 1 attention. Kinda like going to the doctor, you can go to a large established medical building or you can go to that "one man shop" where they know you and your needs because they have fewer clients. Just my thought !!!

CJDave
07-17-2020, 06:35 AM
I have been reading all the replies to both threads so I gathered how high quality, rare, and diversity of your collection. I also hate that the so well cared for items you had were treated like they were. I hate the ungrouping of your sets, I hate the reserves not put on your items, but the unforgivable item for collectors is what he did with your items by leaving them to the weather and anyone who happened by your house.

So of course I would not consign anything to him after hearing your story, but now I can't even think of bidding on anything because he obviously is not someone who cares about the items. I know some collect to make money in the future, but most of us collect because we love the item, the person, the team, or just for the historical value the items might have. I cannot contribute to this person making more money or saving him from his eventual demise in this endeavor.

I know he was on this board, don't know if he still is but he had plenty of time to put up his point of view, opinions, or opposition to all the things people have been saying. It just seems that Dave's problem trumps all of the others I have heard. His silence on here since the auction ended saying all I need to know!

Again, I welcome Aaron's replies and rebuttal. I have done business with many on this site, both as a buyer and a seller. Most of you do not know me. I could be a BS artist (I'm not), I could be a drama queen (I'm definitely not), and there are always two sides to a story. I've given mine....where's the other side??? And Aaron, if you do reply, I can support everything I have said here...…..can you back up your story (or lack of story)???

CJDave
07-17-2020, 06:37 AM
Dave,

So sorry to read about the horrid details of the mess this guy caused. You are a much better person than me because I would have tracked him down and lets just say, worked out things a much different way.

A few years ago I would have done that exactly.....have too much to lose now (not to say the thought didn't cross my mind though !!!)

buymycards
07-17-2020, 06:54 AM
He was on Net54 yesterday at 5:40 PM. I can guess which thread he was reading. So, he appears to be following along every couple of days.

CJDave
07-17-2020, 07:17 AM
He was on Net54 yesterday at 5:40 PM. I can guess which thread he was reading. So, he appears to be following along every couple of days.

And yet for two weeks he doesn't have the desire to reply to these comments!!! I know if someone were telling lies about me I'd be on here in two seconds to set the record straight. Can one assume that the lack of response means he has no defense for his actions ???

Give some kind of comeback: something like......I told you I wouldn't be able to put reserves on all or in fact any of your items (which wouldn't be true), or I called you to coordinate the exact day/time/location we would be carefully returning your items (which also didn't happen), or you gave me permission to break apart your coin sets so I did (which, you can guess didn't occur either).

hcv123
07-17-2020, 09:03 AM
And yet for two weeks he doesn't have the desire to reply to these comments!!! I know if someone were telling lies about me I'd be on here in two seconds to set the record straight. Can one assume that the lack of response means he has no defense for his actions ???

Give some kind of comeback: something like......I told you I wouldn't be able to put reserves on all or in fact any of your items (which wouldn't be true), or I called you to coordinate the exact day/time/location we would be carefully returning your items (which also didn't happen), or you gave me permission to break apart your coin sets so I did (which, you can guess didn't occur either).

Sometimes it is wiser to not speak and let people wonder how stupid (fill in whatever appropriate adjective(s) fit) you are than to open your mouth and prove it!

Under the presumption that your side of it is even mostly objectively accurate - what could he possibly come here to say to help his position?

CJDave
07-17-2020, 10:34 AM
Sometimes it is wiser to not speak and let people wonder how stupid (fill in whatever appropriate adjective(s) fit) you are than to open your mouth and prove it!

Under the presumption that your side of it is even mostly objectively accurate - what could he possibly come here to say to help his position?

Truer words were never spoken !!!!

jpittman765
07-17-2020, 04:41 PM
All,
I have followed the Crazy Uncle Auction discussions with interest as my first auction experience was bidding on three t206 cards at this recent auction. Following the discussion thread, I have learned much about the auction process. And as others have expressed, I am very sorry about the harm done to Dave with his fabulous collection and the problems presented.
My personal experience at the lower tier was different. After winning three cards, there were initial invoice problems. However, today I received two of my cards, expertly packaged. The third card is in transit. My communications with Aaron have been good. He has delivered as promised. I am happy with the cards I acquired.
My comments are not meant to minimize any of the previously presented issues. I just wanted to mention my generally positive experience. Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bugsy
07-17-2020, 05:12 PM
All,
After winning three cards, there were initial invoice problems. However, today I received two of my cards, expertly packaged. The third card is in transit

They weren't all shipped together? I haven't heard of this before. Did you get two separate tracking numbers for one invoice? Are they coming from different locations?

Thanks!

wilkiebaby11
07-17-2020, 05:31 PM
They weren't all shipped together? I haven't heard of this before. Did you get two separate tracking numbers for one invoice? Are they coming from different locations?

Thanks!

I win! I got 3 tracking numbers from two different towns 2 hours aways and all are currently in transit. I'm not worried, but I am curious as to this methodology.

conor912
07-17-2020, 05:32 PM
Are they coming from different locations?

I believe someone implied in another thread that he was most likely selling things he did not have physical possession of, yes.

sb1
07-17-2020, 05:42 PM
And the people that run legit auctions, just shake their head....this could have been a win/win for consignor and auction house. Yet it turned out to be a disaster for most involved.

If you would like your consignments to be treated professionally, listed as requested and paid promptly just email or call...it's really that easy.

Scott

Brockelman Auctions

www.brockelmanauctions.com

817-688-9499

swarmee
07-17-2020, 05:43 PM
Sure does increase overhead/expenses/timeline to do it that way. Maybe he's realized how much quicksand he's in and has hired a lawyer who is directing him to complete as many transactions as possible before those people cancel their accounts and their bids.

Flintboy
07-17-2020, 05:44 PM
I believe someone implied in another thread that he was most likely selling things he did not have physical possession of, yes.

What could possibly go wrong??????

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-17-2020, 06:00 PM
And the people that run legit auctions, just shake their head....this could have been a win/win for consignor and auction house. Yet it turned out to be a disaster for most involved.

If you would like your consignments to be treated professionally, listed as requested and paid promptly just email or call...it's really that easy.

Scott

Brockelman Auctions

www.brockelmanauctions.com

817-688-9499

Amen. When in doubt trust guys named Scott :)

jpittman765
07-17-2020, 06:12 PM

Thanks!

I did receive two separate tracking numbers. I believe my three winning bids involved two different physical locations for the cards. When I first talked to Aaron, I believe he said, with COVID 19 shipping issues, he was shipping from multiple locations. I could be wrong on my recollection. Shipping anything today, especially through USPS, is an interesting endeavor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

earlywynnfan
07-17-2020, 06:56 PM

Pretty sure this is how American Memorabilia worked for many years. Still?? Are they still around?

scgaynor
07-17-2020, 07:15 PM

I agree!

Scott Gaynor

sportscomicfantasy
07-17-2020, 08:08 PM

I have bought stuff from Brocklemans Auctions, I guess I need to give Aqarian a try too.

But I wouldn't trust any of you Scott's around a girl if I had one!

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-18-2020, 05:36 AM
LOL This Scott is happily married.

sflayank
07-18-2020, 03:43 PM
I WON 5 LOTS ENDED WITH 5 TRACKING #S
after calling 10 x got down to 2 tracking #s from 2 locations
1st box finally arrived just now with nothing in it but the free psa book theyre giving out
NO ITEMS NO ITEMS NO ITEMS
ANYONE HAVE HIS PERSONAL #
This is what he sent me

x2drich2000
07-18-2020, 04:14 PM
I received my package yesterday. While I really didn't like my experience and have no plans to bid any future auctions with them, I will give credit where credit is due. I thought the packaging was pretty good, each lot was in its own bag, 3 lots per bubble mailer, and bubble mailers were put into a large box with contractor paper type packaging. Looked sturdy, felt sturdy, and everything arrived in good order.

MikeGarcia
07-18-2020, 04:49 PM
1st box finally arrived just now with nothing in it but the free psa book theyre giving out
This is what he sent me

..Please tell us you're kidding.....

sflayank
07-18-2020, 04:51 PM
Not kidding

sflayank
07-18-2020, 05:03 PM
Just filed a case with paypal

obcmac
07-18-2020, 05:31 PM
This is what he sent me

The books are separate from the lot wins.

swarmee
07-18-2020, 06:22 PM
The books are separate from the lot wins.

I'm guessing they're giving away the new PSA books because they advertised heavily with PSA? More strange bedfellows of Joe Orlando and Steve Sloan. So much fraud in this hobby.

I probably would have waited on the second (final?) box before filing a chargeback, but I can't say this company doesn't deserve it. Good luck to all those investors in Crazy Uncle!

ecRich
07-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Got two packages with all my winning lots, only three cards. Packed very well, but no book darn.

thanksjoe
07-19-2020, 05:53 AM
I just received my 2 winning lots yesterday. No issues thankfully

bobbyw8469
07-19-2020, 08:10 AM
This whole thing sounds like a nightmare. It reminds me of that guy who went separate from Battlefield. His auction wound up being a fiasco too. This gives me further proof to never go with a startup.

Yoda
07-19-2020, 11:13 AM
Just so I know, who are the principals behind Crazy Uncle?

CJDave
07-19-2020, 11:28 AM
Just so I know, who are the principals behind Crazy Uncle?

Aaron Rothchild is the president, but apparently not an owner.

The description is as follows:
Crazy Uncle Auctions is a company owned by collectors for collectors. Founded by a small group of elite collectors, Crazy Uncle’s owners have been collecting, trading and selling for over half-a-century. They have been involved in some of the most significant auctions in sports collectibles history and use their vast hobby knowledge to further enhance the experience for collectors who use the Crazy Uncle platform.

swarmee
07-19-2020, 11:39 AM
Nice of them letting Aaron twist in the wind as the only scapegoat for this failure.
Are they even a real company? Anyone find any documentation of them filed with the Feds or state?

CJDave
07-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Hello everyone,

As a further update, still missing over $300K+ worth of merchandise. Based on the lists I generated and gave to Aaron, subtracting those items sold in the first auction, subtracting those items sold (but should not have due to Aaron's incompetence and scam) in the second auction, and subtracting those items despicably dumped in front of my home on a couple of occasions, there exists $300K+ or more worth of valuable collectibles.

Apparently his voicemail is full. So the question is now posed (and this is not an accusation just a question)....did he steal my items, did he lose my items, did he sell these items on the side. I hope for his sake they turn up.....and turn up quickly !!!

swarmee
07-19-2020, 11:54 AM
Have you hired a lawyer yet? Get a temporary injunction from him selling your items?

ibuysportsephemera
07-19-2020, 11:55 AM
Hello everyone,

As a further update, still missing over $300K+ worth of merchandise. Based on the lists I generated and gave to Aaron, subtracting those items sold in the first auction, subtracting those items sold (but should not have due to Aaron's incompetence and scam) in the second auction, and subtracting those items despicably dumped in front of my home on a couple of occasions, there exists $300K+ or more worth of valuable collectibles.

Apparently his voicemail is full. So the question is now posed (and this is not an accusation just a question)....did he steal my items, did he lose my items, did he sell these items on the side. I hope for his sake they turn up.....and turn up quickly !!!

Dave..I am sorry for your bad experience but I really have to ask (and I am sure there are others thinking this)...... Why are you posting on Net54 with no mention of hiring an attorney or taking this case to your local police department?

Jeff

Tao_Moko
07-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I am so confused by all of this. I'm just having a hard time buying that you are so wonderful, you gave him another shot. Maybe you are a great guy, but something is amiss for me to be honest. You posted so I assume you're willing to accept varied opinions on how this is handled. Why haven't you notified the authorities? If he has 300k+ of your property and you cannot reach him and suspect potential theft then why wait any longer? I don't trust incompetence with more incompetence and hope for a quality outcome. Why are you waiting for a resolve without action? Or, have you directed your attorney and authorities on recovering your goods and money? Attempted to go collect your possessions? This isn't a local food bank that mishandled your donation and deserves a second shot to feed the homeless. This is business. What am I missing?

CJDave
07-19-2020, 12:35 PM
Dave..I am sorry for your bad experience but I really have to ask (and I am sure there are others thinking this)...... Why are you posting on Net54 with no mention of hiring an attorney or taking this case to your local police department?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Posting on Net54 is meant more as a warning or an accounting of my experience (call it giving an online review from 1 to 5 stars) which others can use it as a basis for their decision making. Now by no means am I telling anyone not to do business with Crazy Uncles and/or Aaron. Everyone here is a free thinking adult who can make their own decisions. So before Aaron accuses me of hurting his business, I repeat, I am NOT telling anyone to stop doing business with Crazy Uncles and/or Aaron.....this is just an FYI for everyone.

In answer to your other question, since this is a civil matter, the police would doubtfully do any help here (no disrespect to the police). As far as handling this matter through the proper legal and court channels, trust me it is being handled.

Jay Wolt
07-19-2020, 12:46 PM
Now by no means am I telling anyone not to do business with Crazy Uncles and/or Aaron

If some guy screwed me out of $300K, I'd be shouting from the rooftops day & night to stay away from him.

CJDave
07-19-2020, 12:50 PM
I am so confused by all of this. I'm just having a hard time buying that you are so wonderful, you gave him another shot. Maybe you are a great guy, but something is amiss for me to be honest. You posted so I assume you're willing to accept varied opinions on how this is handled. Why haven't you notified the authorities? If he has 300k+ of your property and you cannot reach him and suspect potential theft then why wait any longer? I don't trust incompetence with more incompetence and hope for a quality outcome. Why are you waiting for a resolve without action? Or, have you directed your attorney and authorities on recovering your goods and money? Attempted to go collect your possessions? This isn't a local food bank that mishandled your donation and deserves a second shot to feed the homeless. This is business. What am I missing?

Hi Eric. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, and they say no opinion is wrong. Most people like me, but I am sure some don't. Most think I am a good guy, I am sure some think I am an a-hole. Bottom line I am honest, I am trusting, I do not screw people over and for all that one may think, if I do speak for myself, you will find a hard time meeting anyone who cares as deeply about his fellow human being. The facts that I have outlined are just that factual. Now I may have left out that I gave him a few choice words and names on the phone (the 4 letter kind) and I won't say the thought of handling this matter "old school" didn't cross my mind, but what I said and everything I said is factual. I could give more details but that won't change the basic summary that I have provided.

I never said I have yet to take action, that is the job of the legal people I have hired and to give details right now of my course of action may or may not hurt by case.

My intent as I mentioned in this previous post is to give an accounting of the course of events and the wrongdoing that was given to me. It is for anyone reading this to make an educated decision if they would do business with this company (again I am not telling anyone to do business or not to do business with them, I am just giving my account).

CJDave
07-19-2020, 12:52 PM
If some guy screwed me out of $300K, I'd be shouting from the rooftops day & night to stay away from him.

True......but one could construe that as I am trying to intentionally hurt his business......again, just giving my accounting and letting everyone make their own decisions.....Never did I tell anyone to stay away.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-19-2020, 12:55 PM
Hi Jeff,

Posting on Net54 is meant more as a warning or an accounting of my experience (call it giving an online review from 1 to 5 stars) which others can use it as a basis for their decision making. Now by no means am I telling anyone not to do business with Crazy Uncles and/or Aaron. Everyone here is a free thinking adult who can make their own decisions. So before Aaron accuses me of hurting his business, I repeat, I am NOT telling anyone to stop doing business with Crazy Uncles and/or Aaron.....this is just an FYI for everyone.

In answer to your other question, since this is a civil matter, the police would doubtfully do any help here (no disrespect to the police). As far as handling this matter through the proper legal and court channels, trust me it is being handled.

When you're talking theft of $300,000 in goods that's a criminal matter.

CJDave
07-19-2020, 01:12 PM
When you're talking theft of $300,000 in goods that's a criminal matter.

I definitely do not want to accuse anyone of theft (just yet)......for now I will assume he has yet to make all deliveries to me.

sportscomicfantasy
07-19-2020, 03:44 PM
I definitely do not want to accuse anyone of theft (just yet)......for now I will assume he has yet to make all deliveries to me.

Let's hope he is reading this and delivers the rest of your items to your work so they are not left out in the elements.

CobbSpikedMe
07-19-2020, 04:37 PM
I still can't get over the idea of giving over $700K worth of collectibles to a start up who called themselves Crazy Uncle Auctions. I really truly hope you get all you stuff back and this works out for you in the end. I can't image being in your shoes right now.

slidekellyslide
07-20-2020, 12:26 AM

I'm curious if you know who the owners of this company are?

CJDave
07-20-2020, 06:19 AM
I'm curious if you know who the owners of this company are?

Aaron Rothchild is the president, but apparently not an owner. There is no indication of the owners' names.

The description is as follows:
Crazy Uncle Auctions is a company owned by collectors for collectors. Founded by a small group of elite collectors, Crazy Uncle’s owners have been collecting, trading and selling for over half-a-century. They have been involved in some of the most significant auctions in sports collectibles history and use their vast hobby knowledge to further enhance the experience for collectors who use the Crazy Uncle platform.

Aquarian Sports Cards
07-20-2020, 08:00 AM
As many suspected they are registered in Delaware, likely for tax reasons:

THIS IS NOT A STATEMENT OF GOOD STANDING
File Number: 7497394 Incorporation Date / Formation Date: 7/2/2019
(mm/dd/yyyy)
Entity Name: CRAZY UNCLE AUCTIONS LLC
Entity Kind: Limited Liability Company Entity Type: General
Residency: Domestic State: DELAWARE

REGISTERED AGENT INFORMATION

Name: RESIDENT AGENTS INC.
Address: 8 THE GREEN, STE R
City: DOVER County: Kent
State: DE Postal Code: 19901
Phone:

Yoda
07-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Dave, couldn't you physically go to Aaron's home/place of business and demand your items? Given the suspicious nature of their auction and the amount of money involved, I would be on the first plane, along with my mask, of course. Auctions are a complicated business, and it seems CU didn't learn much from their first auction, making even more of a mess on their second

CJDave
07-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Dave, couldn't you physically go to Aaron's home/place of business and demand your items? Given the suspicious nature of their auction and the amount of money involved, I would be on the first plane, along with my mask, of course. Auctions are a complicated business, and it seems CU didn't learn much from their first auction, making even more of a mess on their second

I did consider that, but then I would have to go to the local police station there, explain the situation and from what I have been told the police will tell me this is a civil matter and let the courts deal with it. If I then show up at his place, he will end up calling the police on me for trespassing, making threats, etc...….which may hurt my position in the end.

bobbyw8469
07-20-2020, 10:34 AM
I did consider that, but then I would have to go to the local police station there, explain the situation and from what I have been told the police will tell me this is a civil matter and let the courts deal with it. If I then show up at his place, he will end up calling the police on me for trespassing, making threats, etc...….which may hurt my position in the end.

Yes....but this isn't someone stealing $300 from you. This is someone stealing $300,000 from you. SURELY something can be done about this.

ThomasL
07-20-2020, 10:42 AM
Since I posted earlier about shipping and invoices thought I would give an update:

I registered in the last 24 hours before close and bid on 5 items of my collecting interest, 1 card and 4 autograph lots. I only won one of them (would have chased after one or two more as prices were about average for those items but wanted to save some money).

As stated they did send an invoice via email that was correct which I paid the moment I received it. It did take a few days for that to be sent but not unusually long. The invoice on the website never updated to show paid or shipped, I did email CUA I think 3 times (spaced out over a few days) once asking about if the invoice online would change and maybe twice asking for shipping update. I received an answer each time within 24hrs all professionally worded ( no they dont update the invoice or give you shipping update on their auction website to answer that question). I was sent email notification 7-14 that item was shipped and it arrived today 7-20 (USPS 3 Day priority...USPS ripped us off on that shipping!).

While yes I think it could have went faster from end of auction-emailing invoices-shipping once paid and would like for the invoice on the website to reflect changes in status throughout...I think it was handled ok and my questions via email and two messages to Aaron (before a lot of this stuff was posted) were all answered timely and in a professional way.

Doesn't touch on issues with co-signers obviously as I can speak to that, but does reflect on some of the other issues brought up in regards to buyers. I feel I might have been a little impatient.