PDA

View Full Version : Is there a more undervalued card in vintage?

T_Hamilton
06-11-2020, 10:44 AM
saw someone on the boards post a pic of a 1957 Frank Robinson Topps RC card... i had about $300 in my PayPal account and ended up looking on ebay... grabbed a PSA 5 for around $300. I couldn't believe a HOF RC in mid-grade could be had for so little... especially given Frank is top 20 in WAR.

Who else has other cards they think are massively undergraded... would be great to hear.

bobbyw8469
06-11-2020, 10:46 AM
saw someone on the boards post a pic of a 1957 Frank Robinson Topps RC card... i had about $300 in my PayPal account and ended up looking on ebay... grabbed a PSA 5 for around $300. I couldn't believe a HOF RC in mid-grade could be had for so little... especially given Frank is top 20 in WAR.

Who else has other cards they think are massively undergraded... would be great to hear.

Jerry Rice rookies are still relatively cheap. He is arguably the best WR of all time.

bobbyw8469
06-11-2020, 10:50 AM

As far as similar to Frank Robinson, I find Carl Yaz rookies still cheap. Although he is starting to creep up there as well.

conor912
06-11-2020, 10:51 AM
I have noticed over the years of collecting that there is a premium on player personality. The hobby is not typically kind (in terms of monetary value) to the quiet workhorses of the game. There are, of course, exceptions, like Mike Trout, who is as dull as dull can be.

pgconboy
06-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Jerry Rice rookies are still relatively cheap. He is arguably the best WR of all time.

I collected football cards in the 90s. Came back to collecting in the mid 2010s and was amazed that the value of Rice's rookie card had DROPPED!

I gleefully bought 2, 1 being autographed.

icollectDCsports
06-11-2020, 10:57 AM
Frank Robinson's career is underappreciated. Disappointing and always amazed by it.

Wanaselja
06-11-2020, 11:05 AM

Did you pick up the best offer one that was listed with a SN# ending in 18181? I was watching that one and it just ended this afternoon. Sold my 5 earlier this year and am looking to upgrade but it’s proving harder than I thought.

T_Hamilton
06-11-2020, 11:05 AM
As far as similar to Frank Robinson, I find Carl Yaz rookies still cheap. Although he is starting to creep up there as well.

Holy cow... a PSA 7 for around ~$450. wow!

bobbyw8469
06-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Holy cow... a PSA 7 for around ~$450. wow!

Yea...you can still get 4's and 5's for under $200. It's hard finding clean ones of that....usually a lot of trash in it.

rats60
06-11-2020, 11:53 AM
T206 Eddie Collins. He is top 10 in war and sells cheaper than several lesser hofers. A SGC4 recently sold for 349.00.

T_Hamilton
06-11-2020, 12:00 PM
Did you pick up the best offer one that was listed with a SN# ending in 18181? I was watching that one and it just ended this afternoon. Sold my 5 earlier this year and am looking to upgrade but it’s proving harder than I thought.

That's the one... loved the centering on it...

Wanaselja
06-11-2020, 12:23 PM
That's the one... loved the centering on it...

Damn, me too. I should have jumped on that. Didn't think $300 would get it done so I didn't bother. Excellent pickup. Great looking 5.

rhettyeakley
06-11-2020, 12:24 PM
T206 Eddie Collins. He is top 10 in war and sells cheaper than several lesser hofers. A SGC4 recently sold for 349.00.

Eddie Collins is my all time “most underrated” player when it comes to the value of his collectibles/cards. He sells for far les than players that were not nearly as good. In fact he sells for common HOF prices most of the time (there is no reason Eddie Collins should sell for the same as George Kelly)

I think he has a few things that work against him... he was not very good looking nor athletic looking (I have a hard time thinking kids were wanting to be just like Eddie), he was pretty straight laced and not a larger than life persona. The guy was on the 1919 “Black Sox” team but is hardly even mentioned in that story by most as the players knew he wouldn’t have wanted anything to do with it. In short he is probably too boring.

T_Hamilton
06-11-2020, 12:33 PM
Eddie Collins is my all time “most underrated” player when it comes to the value of his collectibles/cards. He sells for far les than players that were not nearly as good. In fact he sells for common HOF prices most of the time (there is no reason Eddie Collins should sell for the same as George Kelly)

I think he has a few things that work against him... he was not very good looking nor athletic looking (I have a hard time thinking kids were wanting to be just like Eddie), he was pretty straight laced and not a larger than life persona. The guy was on the 1919 “Black Sox” team but is hardly even mentioned in that story by most as the players knew he wouldn’t have wanted anything to do with it. In short he is probably too boring.

This is why i Love, and Hate, these threads... my collection loves it as it changes the way I think... my wallet hates it as know I will be on the look out :-D

oldjudge
06-11-2020, 12:52 PM
Robinson is #24 in career WAR. There are quite a few players with better career WAR whose cards are also not valued highly. On the other side, you have Joe Jackson who is tied for 165th in career WAR.

Tao_Moko
06-11-2020, 01:29 PM

Not pretty, but a United States Marine. I'm both partial and happy his cards are under priced. One hell of a career.

rgpete
06-11-2020, 02:08 PM
Joe Jackson's 1913 Tom Barker, National Game and 1914 Polo Grounds are undervalued for his earlier playing days in my opinion. But game cards are second to the rest

Gobucsmagic74
06-11-2020, 08:24 PM
Agree on Eddie Collins. I'd also add Jimmie Foxx and Stan Musial into the mix

robw1959
06-11-2020, 08:35 PM
I would rate Ted Williams Topps cards as being underrated relative to his status. Those Williams cards typically sell for the same or less than some of his HOF counterparts like Aaron, Mays, Clemente, and, of course, Mantle. I don't know about his WAR, but his OPS is second only to Babe Ruth, and 35 points higher than the Iron Horse, Lou Gehrig. There's a good example on eBay right now featuring a '56 Topps Williams and a '56 Topps Jackie Robinson - same seller, same grade, same grading company, and the ending times of both listings are only 2 minutes apart. Yet Jackie is beating Ted by about $40, and likely will have a higher final bid as well.

Tyruscobb
06-11-2020, 09:24 PM
In my humble opinion, both 1955 Hank Aarons (Bowman & Topps) are undervalued and bargains. 1955 was Aaron’s second year. 1955 was his first Bowman issue and just his second Topps card.

Yet, in graded 5s, the Bowman sells for under $200.00 and the Topps for $350.00. Compare these prices with the 1955 Willie Mays cards which are his fourth year ones. Mays’ 1955 Bowman, in a graded 5, sells for around $225.00, and the Topps for around $400.00.

Further compare this with Mickey Mantle’s sole 1955 card. You could own both Hank Aaron’s 1955 cards, in a graded 5, for less than the cost of the Mantle in the same grade.

familytoad
06-11-2020, 09:50 PM
For many years, as I grew up in the 70's, these were the top 1 or 2 players at their positions:
Pie Traynor
Eddie Collins
Mickey Cochrane/Bill Dickey
Tris Speaker

Other players may have leap frogged over them (maybe not Collins) but the card prices of these all-time greats dont correlate.

drumback
06-11-2020, 10:02 PM
If Eddie Collins was so boring, why did they call him Cocky Collins? He was smarter than just about every player in the game, and he knew it, and used it to his advantage on the field. He drove pitchers crazy on the basepaths, sometimes stealing bases before the pitcher even threw a pitch. Conversely, he was one of the most superstitious players of his time as well. Really, one of the most interesting players of the deadball era.

Huysmans
06-12-2020, 05:38 AM
In my humble opinion, both 1955 Hank Aarons (Bowman & Topps) are undervalued and bargains. 1955 was Aaron’s second year. 1955 was his first Bowman issue and just his second Topps card.

Yet, in graded 5s, the Bowman sells for under $200.00 and the Topps for $350.00. Compare these prices with the 1955 Willie Mays cards which are his fourth year ones. Mays’ 1955 Bowman, in a graded 5, sells for around $225.00, and the Topps for around $400.00.

Further compare this with Mickey Mantle’s sole 1955 card. You could own both Hank Aaron’s 1955 cards, in a graded 5, for less than the cost of the Mantle in the same grade.

Well this clearly shows that collectors value Mays over Aaron, and Mantle over them both.
And this shouldn't be surprising, Mantle is the undisputed king of the post-war hobby.

Donscards
06-12-2020, 06:07 AM
As far as rookies, I think the 1951 Bowman Willie Mays is undervalued, and all Stan Musial cards.

bobbyw8469
06-12-2020, 06:40 AM
As far as rookies, I think the 1951 Bowman Willie Mays is undervalued, and all Stan Musial cards.

I would hardly call PSA 1's being at $1,500 as undervalued. But, what do I know.

T_Hamilton
06-12-2020, 09:28 AM

I agree with Stan the Man!

Golfcollector
06-12-2020, 09:32 AM
Obviously I am biased but

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/crawford-sam

brewing
06-12-2020, 11:24 AM

I agree overall. Although for 55 Topps, the Mays is a high number which has a big factor on the price.

brewing
06-12-2020, 11:29 AM
Obviously I am biased but

https://baseballhall.org/hall-of-famers/crawford-sam

Ssshhhh! There are a few more Wahoo Sam cards I'm trying to acquire.

I like that the All Time and Single Season triples record holders are in the T206 set and easily attainable.

Golfcollector
06-12-2020, 11:59 AM
Ssshhhh! There are a few more Wahoo Sam cards I'm trying to acquire.

I like that the All Time and Single Season triples record holders are in the T206 set and easily attainable.

Brent let me know what are looking for, I might have a couple around....

rhettyeakley
06-12-2020, 01:05 PM
If Eddie Collins was so boring, why did they call him Cocky Collins? He was smarter than just about every player in the game, and he knew it, and used it to his advantage on the field. He drove pitchers crazy on the basepaths, sometimes stealing bases before the pitcher even threw a pitch. Conversely, he was one of the most superstitious players of his time as well. Really, one of the most interesting players of the deadball era.

I don’t think he was boring, nor was he probably considered “boring” during his time. That being said I can’t really remember ever hearing a romanticized story regarding Eddie Collins ever being told. It seems he just hasn’t carried with him the same aura of historical significance into our time as many of his contemporaries did so he could be viewed as “boring” by today’s collectors. Whatever the reason, I don’t think I have ever met someone that focuses on Collins... but I have met quite a few Lajoie, Foxx, Speaker, etc collectors. Collins is considered one of the top 25-30 players in the history of the game by many Experts.

Natswin2019
06-12-2020, 02:53 PM

I'd agree with Stan being undervalued. I was able to pick up a nice looking 1960 Stan for pretty cheap recently

Jason19th
06-12-2020, 02:54 PM
I have always thought that Monte Irvin was criminally underrated. I know he had a short career in the major because of the color line, but he was star from day one and was a truly great player. Yet his cards are barely above commons

Exhibitman
06-12-2020, 04:18 PM
From a card collecting perspective, another vote here for The Beast. 10th all time on base percentage, 4th all time slugging %, 5th all time OPS, 22nd all time in total bases BUT 110th in games played. Yet his Exhibit RC sells for a 20th of what you'd have to pay for a Gehrig. I realize Gehrig has the Yankees mystique, the coincidence of dying from Lou Gehrig's Disease, and the movie, but still...

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-12-2020, 04:32 PM
I have always thought that Monte Irvin was criminally underrated. I know he had a short career in the major because of the color line, but he was star from day one and was a truly great player. Yet his cards are barely above commons

Throw Doby into that mix and I couldn't agree more.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-12-2020, 04:32 PM
From a card collecting perspective, another vote here for The Beast. 10th all time on base percentage, 4th all time slugging %, 5th all time OPS, 22nd all time in total bases BUT 110th in games played. Yet his Exhibit RC sells for a 20th of what you'd have to pay for a Gehrig. I realize Gehrig has the Yankees mystique, the coincidence of dying from Lou Gehrig's Disease, and the movie, but still...

I think the movie was a bigger coincidence than the disease, I mean what were the odds?

Throttlesteer
06-12-2020, 06:02 PM
My vote goes to Charlie Gehringer.

seanofjapan
06-12-2020, 07:09 PM
I don’t think he was boring, nor was he probably considered “boring” during his time. That being said I can’t really remember ever hearing a romanticized story regarding Eddie Collins ever being told. It seems he just hasn’t carried with him the same aura of historical significance into our time as many of his contemporaries did so he could be viewed as “boring” by today’s collectors. Whatever the reason, I don’t think I have ever met someone that focuses on Collins... but I have met quite a few Lajoie, Foxx, Speaker, etc collectors. Collins is considered one of the top 25-30 players in the history of the game by many Experts.

For me at least part of the problem with Collins is that his overall life story is very uninspiring. He has some racist baggage, which wasn’t unusual among players of his day. But what sets him apart is that there is no “redemption” part of his story in that regard. Other guys like Ty Cobb or Tris Speaker mellowed out and became way more accepting later in life, especially after Jackie Robinson came around. Speaker was a former Klansman who later helped Larry Doby break the color barrier in the AL for example. So you can find something redeeming in their life story that makes them a bit more appealing despite their rough edges.

Collins doesn’t have anything like that in his story. Later in life he played a key role in blocking desegregation on the Red Sox way after most of his contemporaries came around. He was just plain on the wrong side of history. Its really hard to get enthusiastic about a guy like that. Its particularly the case since when you read his bio this is basically the last chapter, so his story ends on this negative note.

SAllen2556
06-13-2020, 08:26 AM
I nominate Harry Heilmann
Four batting titles. .342 lifetime avg. And a real gentleman. Also a great broadcaster for the Tigers. On every all-1920's decade team. Cheap cards.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-13-2020, 11:36 AM
That's a sweet E121, 4's in that are like 6's in other issues!

packs
06-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Nap Lajoie. I've always thought the premiums on his T206 portrait and with bat cards came down to the images on them rather than the player. The with bat card is on par with the Cobb bat off, and is in my opinion among the two nicest cards in the set.

His Cracker Jack is a hell of a card too. But I sometimes wonder if it's the image or the player that brings the high price there too.

Yastrzemski Sports
06-14-2020, 02:03 PM
Killebrew rookie. A fraction of the price of Banks or Kaline.

ajjohnsonsoxfan
06-14-2020, 10:05 PM
Great thread! I think relatively speaking the Mays Bowman RC is undervalued and will skyrocket after he passes.

wdwfan
06-15-2020, 06:22 PM
I like the fact F. Robinson is underpriced and undervalued because I'm going to have to pick one up eventually for my 1957 Topps set.

As far as Rice, I think it's just the fact it's from the junk wax era (mid 1980s-mid 1990s). I think that has more to do with it than anything. Heck, even Montana RCs have gone down from $175 BV to $100 BV.

Who would've thought HOFer RCs would drop, especially ones that drop nearly 50 percent.

DeanH3
06-16-2020, 01:17 PM
Pre-war I'd have to say T206 Eddie Collins.

Post-war - 1955 Topps Hank Aaron. Nice mid grade examples are criminally under valued.

bobbyw8469
06-16-2020, 01:19 PM
Pre-war I'd have to say T206 Eddie Collins.

Post-war - 1955 Topps Hank Aaron. Nice mid grade examples are criminally under valued.

Well...it's a 2nd year card.....everyone is going after the rookie.

DeanH3
06-16-2020, 02:04 PM
Well...it's a 2nd year card.....everyone is going after the rookie.

Obviously, however that still doesn't mean it's not an under valued card.

packs
06-16-2020, 02:05 PM
After all, the 52 Topps Mantle is a second year card too.

todeen
06-16-2020, 02:07 PM
I like the fact F. Robinson is underpriced and undervalued because I'm going to have to pick one up eventually for my 1957 Topps set.

As far as Rice, I think it's just the fact it's from the junk wax era (mid 1980s-mid 1990s). I think that has more to do with it than anything. Heck, even Montana RCs have gone down from $175 BV to $100 BV.

Who would've thought HOFer RCs would drop, especially ones that drop nearly 50 percent.

The Griffey UD RC plummeted in price about 10-15 years ago. I hadn't yet bought one. Glad I could pick up 3 for what used to be the price of 1.

bobbyw8469
06-16-2020, 03:04 PM
after all, the 52 topps mantle is a second year card too.

lolololololololol

Leon
06-17-2020, 02:53 PM

But his rookie Topps card.... :)

I am going with Heilmann being underrated..

lowpopper
06-17-2020, 04:23 PM
molitor-trammell 78 most undervalued card comparative to price

2 HOF on 1 rookie card

:cool::cool::cool:

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-17-2020, 06:19 PM
molitor-trammell 78 most undervalued card comparative to price

2 HOF on 1 rookie card

:cool::cool::cool:

Always liked the 78 Murphy/Parrish/Diaz/Whitt Card even though it's not Murph's rookie. How many rookie cards have 4 future all-stars on them?

Huysmans
06-18-2020, 06:32 AM

Comparing a '55 Topps Aaron to the '52 Topps Mantle as both just second year cards is comical.

G1911
06-18-2020, 12:55 PM
The 1957 Frank Robinson has always seemed undervalued relative to other HOF rookies in high-printed series.

I know the obsession is with rookies, but I always think cards of good/great players in their iconic seasons are usually underpriced, like a 1968 Bob Gibson. That's cooler to me than a 1959 when he was just an afterthought in the high series.

Pre-War, guys who just barely missed the hall tend to be underpriced (Dahlen seems to be treated as a low-end HOFer now, though). Eddie Collins is underpriced, I tend to think John McGraw usually is too.

packs
06-18-2020, 12:59 PM
Comparing a '55 Topps Aaron to the '52 Topps Mantle as both just second year cards is comical.

That's usually what you shoot for when you make a joke.

Huysmans
06-18-2020, 06:21 PM
That's usually what you shoot for when you make a joke.

You need a sense of humour to be funny.

RCMcKenzie
06-18-2020, 06:30 PM
My younger brother and I used to trade cards a lot. He had a Murphy/Parrish rookie and I used to say, "What can you do for the Bo Diaz, rook?"

I always thought it was funnier than he did. I never was able to make a deal for that card, although after college he dropped off his collection for me to keep for him, so I have a Diaz rookie in a box somewhere.

packs
06-18-2020, 06:38 PM
The 38 Goudey Feller is one I think could be undervalued.

conor912
06-18-2020, 08:48 PM
I know the obsession is with rookies, but I always think cards of good/great players in their iconic seasons are usually underpriced, like a 1968 Bob Gibson. That's cooler to me than a 1959 when he was just an afterthought in the high series.

I’ve always wondered this. Maris is a perfect example.

phikappapsi
06-19-2020, 06:04 AM
thanks to this damn thread I've added an '86 Rice to an otherwise almost entirely pre-war/baseball collection.

conor912
06-19-2020, 11:12 AM
thanks to this damn thread I've added an '86 Rice to an otherwise almost entirely pre-war/baseball collection.

Hahaha. Awesome. Why stop there? Do the whole ‘86 Sox team. I love little projects like that. They’re fun, cheap, and keep my occupied in collecting while saving/waiting for bigger fish....

toledo_mudhen
06-20-2020, 07:33 AM

What did you get and what was the price (if not too personal) - I seem to find myself also glued to the 86 Rice listings...

phikappapsi
06-21-2020, 05:32 PM
What did you get and what was the price (if not too personal) - I seem to find myself also glued to the 86 Rice listings...

Paid 565 for a Beckett 9 that looked real sharp. Seeing the Steve Young 10 go for what. $20k this week, made that feel ultra reasonable

jchcollins
06-22-2020, 01:19 PM
I will agree that for his prominence in the 1980's hobby and earlier, Stan Musial has all but fallen off the map today. Frank Robinson to my knowledge has always been undervalued. In terms of pitchers and the esteem they were once held in - Steve Carlton cards besides his rookie are dirt cheap. And even the '65 in midgrade is only around $100. Just saying, Steve Carlton has 4 Cy Young Awards, Nolan Ryan has none...

Wanaselja
06-22-2020, 01:34 PM
I got blown out of the water last night bidding on a nice Robinson PSA 7. It went for $961.

Touch'EmAll
06-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Fergie Jenkins had 5 season in top 3 Cy Young voting. I haven't looked at his card values, but bet darn cheap.

jchcollins
06-22-2020, 02:36 PM
Fergie Jenkins had 5 season in top 3 Cy Young voting. I haven't looked at his card values, but bet darn cheap.

Yeah he has "Cub that's not Ernie Banks" syndrome, which also affects Billy Williams and Ron Santo. His RC in nice shape is maybe a $50 card.

Leon
06-23-2020, 01:30 PM
Getting back to pre war I still think REAL Fro Joys are a great buy. That said, I think I am in the minority.

https://luckeycards.com/pf52frojoyruth.jpg

Kutcher55
06-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Funny, I saw the topic and before I clicked I guessed it was a Frank Robinson Rookie. Even more weird, I just got a 5 in this card nicely centered as well. It has gone up a ton in the past few months. In addition to his stellar playing career he was the first African American Manager in MLB history. For a long time, this card was cheaper pound for pound than the 57 Mays or Aaron, but that's no longer the case. I think it has room for further growth.

packs
06-23-2020, 02:41 PM
I think the future will be kinder to him as people who had interactions with him pass. He was notorious for being horrible to be around if you were a fan.

ValKehl
06-23-2020, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=Leon;1993111]Getting back to pre war I still think REAL Fro Joys are a great buy. That said, I think I am in the minority.QUOTE]

Leon, I agree with you. And, ditto for the George Ruth Candy cards.

Wanaselja
06-24-2020, 05:55 AM
I think the future will be kinder to him as people who had interactions with him pass. He was notorious for being horrible to be around if you were a fan.

I agree. I can't speak to how the older generation sees him but I'm 42 and when I was growing up it was:

Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Robinson 586

As a kid those were the GOATs (along with Ted Williams) to me. I think this new crop of collectors has a very different view of Robinson. Top 25 in WAR, MVP in each league, triple crown, first black manager. That's a helluva resume.

gawaintheknight
06-24-2020, 06:01 AM
Jeez, you guys talk about Frank Robinson like he was Milt Pappas or something.

Wanaselja
06-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Jeez, you guys talk about Frank Robinson like he was Milt Pappas or something.

Hahaha fair point.

Mike D.
06-24-2020, 01:29 PM
I like any card that tells me ice cream cones are good for me and that I should have one every day.:)

slidekellyslide
06-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Warren Spahn won 363 games and his rookie can be had for $300 in mid grade and ~$1000 in high grade.

icollectDCsports
06-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Warren Spahn won 363 games and his rookie can be had for $300 in mid grade and ~$1000 in high grade.

Definitely one of the most underappreciated players of that era.

G1911
06-25-2020, 03:51 PM
In addition to those mentioned and keeping to pre-war, I think Lefty Grove is generally undervalued. He's a top 3 pitcher all-time, I think. Hubbell is a little cheap too. I think pitchers tend to be more likely to be undervalued, and that Hubbell and Grove's stats are not eye-popping until you compare to the context in which those numbers happened has limited their appeal.

leaflover
06-27-2020, 02:02 PM
By far Larry Doby is the most undervalued-underrated player in the hobby.
The American League's first negro gets no respect! PSA "pop report" for 1948-49 Leafs show a mere 139 examples graded compared to Robinson's 1,344.
Yet there is a hugh price differential in Robinson's favor.

BleedinBlue
06-29-2020, 04:59 PM
Larry Doby and Buzz Aldrin are both great examples demonstrating the huge difference between being first and being second.

Leon
06-30-2020, 06:53 AM
By far Larry Doby is the most undervalued-underrated player in the hobby.
The American League's first negro gets no respect! PSA "pop report" for 1948-49 Leafs show a mere 139 examples graded compared to Robinson's 1,344.
Yet there is a hugh price differential in Robinson's favor.

Great looking card. As was said, number 2 doesn't get the accolades....