PDA

View Full Version : New Member & T206 Question

jbro
06-10-2020, 09:51 AM
Hi everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a new member who has recently decided I wanted to start collecting, with a focus on t206 hall of famers (minus Wagner and Plank) and the Washington Senators.

I'm new to collecting and had been doing a lot of online research before stumbling upon this forum. If anyone has any tips, they would be much appreciated since I recognize I have a lot still to learn.

Also, is the the current market for cards, and maybe t206 specifically, up? I've been looking at ebay and other sites, and it seems like the cards are going for a lot more than estimates I've seen on other sites.

I'm planning on taking a slow and steady approach over the next few years, so the current market doesn't matter as much, but I was just curious.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

BobbyVCP
06-10-2020, 10:01 AM
I hope you already know but the back is a key factor in the price of the T206..a more common back the cheaper the price. You can pick up a lot of cards here on the BST and know that you are in a trusted place. There are also a lot of FaceBook groups now that are big on selling like Tobacco Row. As far as pricing there is eBay sales and some good pricing tools out there that are current with the market.

jbro
06-10-2020, 10:22 AM
I hope you already know but the back is a key factor in the price of the T206..a more common back the cheaper the price. You can pick up a lot of cards here on the BST and know that you are in a trusted place. There are also a lot of FaceBook groups now that are big on selling like Tobacco Row. As far as pricing there is eBay sales and some good pricing tools out there that are current with the market.

Thanks! Yes, I've come across a few resources discussing the backs. I will check out the Tobacco Row and the BST.

trambo
06-10-2020, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the t206 madness!! I'd say prices have been increasing over the past few years on almost all tobacco, including and especially t206. Check the Buy/Sell/Trade section here for t206 as you'll find stuff listed frequently in many grades.

Bobby nailed the pricing information and his site (vintagecardpricing.com) is a fantastic subscription based resource for online graded card sales. It's also a great tool for learning where the card came from as well. There are others that I use, too (PSA's APR report and others) but VCP seems to be the most user friendly.

Good luck!

rats60
06-10-2020, 02:42 PM
Pick up the big names first, Cobb, Johnson, Mathewson, Young. The lower tier Hofers go up slower, so save yourself money by getting the high demand guys early.

todeen
06-10-2020, 05:37 PM
I'm new to collecting and had been doing a lot of online research before stumbling upon this forum. If anyone has any tips, they would be much appreciated since I recognize I have a lot still to learn.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Buy as many as you can on Net54! No sales tax here. Less hassle. More friends. And there are great cards offered here!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Silverskulls
06-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the board!

Shameless plug: Check out our T206 podcast at TheMonsterPodcast.com (or on iTunes) for episodes about building the set, including on a budget, and other useful information about collecting T206s.

Good luck!

Justin

Beansballcardblog
06-10-2020, 09:10 PM
Welcome to N54!

There are so many collectors here that know more than I do about T206, so I’m not qualified to give tips or info.

However, I’m up at about 90-100 unique players in the T206 set. If I could have one “do over,” I’d have started by picking up bigger names first. After I bought my first two (horrible beaters that I got four years ago for $5 each), I was so excited that I was focusing on how many I could get.

Now that I’ve spent “x” amount of dollars, I wish I could have that money back and instead spend it on the bigger/tougher cards.

That’s me, though. Just have fun, be patient and collect how YOU like and you’ll never go wrong.

-kin

mrvster
06-11-2020, 05:11 AM
you will love it here!

you picked the right set....as t206 has both collectors and frugal investors always driving up prices/demand...

:):)

pm or email any t206 questions anytime...

also, check out t206resource.com

:)

peace

Johnny v

ps

t206 cobbs, hofers, and rare backs are hot right now, and will always hold value......errors/scraps are soft......mid tier backs are gaining steam....

buy psa or sgc graded where possible...bst here is great...auction houses and ebay are good....

hope this helps!

Ronnie73
06-11-2020, 05:34 AM
Welcome to the group!! Prices have been climbing over the years, especially the last three years. When everyone thinks the prices have hit the maximum and expect a slight decline/correction, the prices go up even more. As a collector of T206's, lately I'm having a more difficult time justifying some of the prices. If you enjoy watching YouTube video's, I have a few on T206's. Here's a link to the first video. https://youtu.be/kdKC25yD-_k

Beansballcardblog
06-11-2020, 07:14 AM
I actually found your channel a few days ago. Small world!

Welcome to the group!! Prices have been climbing over the years, especially the last three years. When everyone thinks the prices have hit the maximum and expect a slight decline/correction, the prices go up even more. As a collector of T206's, lately I'm having a more difficult time justifying some of the prices. If you enjoy watching YouTube video's, I have a few on T206's. Here's a link to the first video. https://youtu.be/kdKC25yD-_k

jbro
06-11-2020, 07:39 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tips and will definitely check out the resources listed.

AndyG
06-11-2020, 06:01 PM
Welcome. I'm fairly new to the T206 obsession as well....but I'm hooked....and I'm hooked on the backs.

Ronnie73
06-12-2020, 03:48 AM
Welcome. I'm fairly new to the T206 obsession as well....but I'm hooked....and I'm hooked on the backs.

Hey Andy, that's great to hear. This forum is the best place to be for T206 back information. There's a good number of advanced collectors of them on here also.

jggames
06-12-2020, 06:37 AM
Welcome! I’m fairly new here too and I can’t recommend this thread enough:
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816

Ted highlights so many nuances of this amazing set and I haven’t found a better reference for the histories of backs and rare sets within backs. It’s really wonderful.

Leon
06-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Welcome to the party. Ted Z does do some excellent work in the above thread mentioned.

and a low grade T206 :)

https://luckeycards.com/t206cobb.jpg

Ronnie73
06-16-2020, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the party. Ted Z does do some excellent work in the above thread mentioned.

and a low grade T206 :)

https://luckeycards.com/t206cobb.jpg

That Cobb puts many PSA 4's to shame.

Oscar_Stanage
08-19-2020, 01:47 PM
That Cobb puts many PSA 4's to shame.

if this a PSA 1.5, then my ability to grade a scan is way off. there are cards grades 5/6 that are worse than this. unless I am missing something on the surface. This looks completely mis-graded.

Ricky
08-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Agree - no way that's just a 1.5... PSA blew it on that one. GREAT card, Leon!!!