PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Collector/Dealer that opperated in Cooperstow

Seven
06-08-2020, 07:46 AM
I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.

EDIT:

Another thing I remembered, I believe it was after the enshrinement of the new class already occurred. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it was not during induction weekend.

Rich Klein
06-08-2020, 07:51 AM
I would like to preface this by saying this is is a bit of a wordy post, quite possibly totally shot in the dark and also it happened quite some time ago, please bear with me!

Roughly 12 years ago on a trip to Cooperstown I remember going through the various stores that are in the area near the Hall of Fame, when I encountered a small sign advertising to what I believe was "baseball cards for sale" or a "baseball card show" It was located in the building of the Coopersown Veterans Club. You would go through the giant red door (for those of you who know the building I am referring to)

There was a very nice man who had a few tables set up selling a great deal of vintage cards. Some Old Tobacco stuff, various topps and bowman cards. Extremely knowledgeable about the Hobby. I actually purchased my 56 Mantle off of him. I'd wager he's probably in his 60's by now if he's still alive. I was wondering if anyone else encountered this person/knows what I'm talking about. Additionally if he's still in the hobby and selling cards. I did venture up to Cooperstown again this past summer and did not see him set up there.

Again I know complete shot in the dark, but with how knowledgeable some of the members of this board along with the connections some people have, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Thank you.

Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-08-2020, 08:04 AM
Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.

Seven
06-08-2020, 08:19 AM
Are you talking about the yearly show Ted Z talks about setting up at almost every year?

It quite honestly could be. I did a bit of looking around when I was up there this past summer and the owner of Yastrzemski's, I believe did say that there was someone that matched the story I gave. Said he usually sets up during the summer during and right after the induction weekend I believe. He gave me a name too, but I forgot to write it down.

Could be a lot of guys. Possibly George Mollyn. Description fits and he always does that show and your description could be a match for his typical inventory.

Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.

Seven
06-08-2020, 08:27 AM
Update Here's the handwriting in question! If this helps at all

https://i.imgur.com/lKlGMeW.jpg?1

I also distinctly remember having a conversation about the 1934 Goudey set, having "Lou Gehrig Says" on a portion of the cards. Why that distinctly comes to mind I do not know.

tedzan
06-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Could also be George Mollyn, or the Person that Rich Mentioned, I have a sample of his handwriting, because I still have the plastic in which he originally sold me one of the cards, I will get around to uploading it.

James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Seven
06-08-2020, 08:54 AM
James

I use to set-up at the HOF weekend Show in the VFW building in Cooperstown. So, I probably met you there. However, the guy you are referring to is George Mollyn.

This Summer will not have the HOF induction ceremonies. So, I do not know if the annual BB card Show will be held. I will post a Tel # which you can call to find out.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Ted,

I appreciate the clarification. I'm continuously amazed on how small of a world we live in sometimes! I will be taking your word on this, that it is George! I would wager that I'm probably not going up this summer due to everything going on. I would assume George is still selling which if that is the case, I would love to see what he still has. Additionally do either of you attend any other events throughout the course of a regular year? Thank you so much for all the help!

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-08-2020, 09:57 AM
George writes on his sleeves that way. He does mall shows in the Allentown, PA area. He is a complete luddite, no online presence whatsoever. (though he loves candy crush lol) Great guy but unless you're in North Eastern PA or at the Cooperstown show he's a hard guy to do business with.

Seven
06-08-2020, 10:16 AM
George writes on his sleeves that way. He does mall shows in the Allentown, PA area. He is a complete luddite, no online presence whatsoever. (though he loves candy crush lol) Great guy but unless you're in North Eastern PA or at the Cooperstown show he's a hard guy to do business with.

I respect his dedication against technology. Guess I'll have to take a trip to Allentown next time he does a show! I'd imagine more or less everything's on hold, but for future references any particular website I could find when the shows are held? Thanks.

Aquarian Sports Cards
06-08-2020, 11:09 AM
They used to be on SCD's website. The original promoter retired a couple years ago and I'm not sure what the new guy is doing.

Look for Palmer Park Mall and South Mall

Yastrzemski Sports
06-09-2020, 06:10 PM
Hi James.
That was definitely George. They didn’t come last summer because the vfw wouldn’t let them set up in the hallway near the entrance any more - only in the inner room. They figured it wasn’t worth it and decided not to come last summer and maybe not again unless things change. As stated you can find George at those mall shows in middle eastern PA when shows happen again. Tell him I said hi if you reach him.

Seven
06-09-2020, 06:28 PM
Hi James.
That was definitely George. They didn’t come last summer because the vfw wouldn’t let them set up in the hallway near the entrance any more - only in the inner room. They figured it wasn’t worth it and decided not to come last summer and maybe not again unless things change. As stated you can find George at those mall shows in middle eastern PA when shows happen again. Tell him I said hi if you reach him.

Adam, Thank you for the response, I will defintely say Hello at the next possible opportunity! I believe I might've also discussed this topic with you at your store this past summer. Went to so many places over the span of a couple of days, but I believe your store was where I purchased a 54 Bowman and a 61 Topps Mickey Mantle. You also graciously showed me a complete set of the 1953 Topps that you had and were telling me about a Hockey Stick you had signed by Wayne Gretzky. Perhaps my favorite interaction was when one of your cashiers could not understand why someone would pay a good amount for pieces of cardboard, and you responded something along the lines of "It's Mickey Mantle and that's all you need to know!"