PDA

View Full Version : Negative seller commission

russkcpa
06-03-2020, 05:32 PM
Hi all,
Hypothetically, If I were to consign my 4 most valuable cards to a major auction house I'm curious what I could negotiate as a negative commission. I realize every auction is different given quantity, quality and market conditions. I'm just wondering if others have had experience with this in their negotiations
Thanks
Russ

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 7
1952 Topps Mantle PSA 6
1957 Topps Bill Russell PSA 7
1966 Topps Orr PSA 7
FMV $225K to $250K

Republicaninmass
06-03-2020, 05:39 PM
I've seen as high as 3%, but those are some head liners!

Snapolit1
06-03-2020, 07:03 PM
I'd ask for sale +10% of the buyers' commission.

irv
06-03-2020, 07:46 PM
Hi all,
Hypothetically, If I were to consign my 4 most valuable cards to a major auction house I'm curious what I could negotiate as a negative commission. I realize every auction is different given quantity, quality and market conditions. I'm just wondering if others have had experience with this in their negotiations
Thanks
Russ

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 7
1952 Topps Mantle PSA 6
1957 Topps Bill Russell PSA 7
1966 Topps Orr PSA 7
FMV $225K to $250K

Wow! Those cards are something else. :eek:
I assume the Mantle on the right is the 6? What is the scan not showing, on both cards that got them those grades?

With regards to your Orr card. Would you be willing to sell it to a CDN for about half of what it's worth in CDN dollars? ;)

Good luck with what ever auction you choose, and please let us know which one it is when you decide.

russkcpa
06-03-2020, 10:14 PM
Wow! Those cards are something else. :eek:
I assume the Mantle on the right is the 6? What is the scan not showing, on both cards that got them those grades?

With regards to your Orr card. Would you be willing to sell it to a CDN for about half of what it's worth in CDN dollars? ;)

Good luck with what ever auction you choose, and please let us know which one it is when you decide.

PSA 6 on left
PSA 7 on right
Wish I had a few '79 OPC Gretzky PSA 9's As a CDN you should have some tucked away eh ?

ajjohnsonsoxfan
06-03-2020, 11:37 PM
That Mantle psa 7 is nails! GLWS

trambo
06-04-2020, 02:23 AM
If it’s something they can feature, I know of one auction house that will offer 105% of the sale price (final bid without premium).

phikappapsi
06-04-2020, 06:11 AM
might be the wrong advice - but I'd try to get one Mantle with say, Heritage. and the other with, say, REA. (not necessarily recommending either and/or both of them). but you'll likely do better on the Mantle's if they aren't run by the same auction house (at least not at the same time). put one with one, and one with the other, and make them compete on terms and marketing

Exhibitman
06-04-2020, 07:41 AM
If you don't 'have to' sell then you can drive a hard bargain or simply not consign. I'd start by asking for no commission and 50% of the buyer's premium and take it from there. If you're offering a $250K consignment which requires little work and little catalog space, there is no reason why the AH wouldn't give back a substantial amount of its BP. They work their asses off processing a $250K large collection and have to devote lots of catalog space to it, so it should be a win-win all around even if they give back a substantial chunk of the BP.

sflayank
06-04-2020, 08:46 AM
Looks like the 2 different mantle varieties?

hcv123
06-04-2020, 10:33 AM
The centering on that Russell is incredible!

I would shop it with at least 3 different houses - make sure they are all houses you are comfortable putting them with and then let each of them know you are shopping for the best return from 3 different houses and ask them for an initial offer. Let each of them know you'll give them an opportunity to beat the best offer you have after you have offers from each - DO NOT let them say just bring your best offer and we'll beat it - require that they give you an offer in order to have an opportunity to best an offer. Once you have 3 offers start with the worst offer and tell them the best offer you have - so on up the line - At the end consign to the house offering you the strongest return.
I have no first hand experience getting a piece of the BP, but have heard of givebacks as high as 5%. GLWS.

russkcpa
06-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Thanks for all of the input
As my post indicated my question was hypothetical and I buy all of my high end cards like long term growth stocks. I am not a trader and my goal is typically to hold cards for at least 10 years.

FYI....I didn't realize that reps from the major auction houses are all over these boards. I had PM's from many of them with offers of up to negative 10% of the hammer price for consigning all cards. That is very generous.
Russ

marzoumanian
06-05-2020, 08:18 AM
The "ian" at the end indicates that you could be Armenian. If so, you MUST visit Armenia. Beautiful people. Beautiful country. I visited in May 2019. Country is struggling because of its landlocked position. Thank goodness for the late Kirk Kerkorian (of Vegas) and other Armenians who donated millions.
No matter what your roots, beautiful cards. Congrats!
Stay safe and healthy!

bounce
06-06-2020, 05:14 PM
I think you're better off just selling both mantles to me