PDA

View Full Version : PSA submission advice/experiences

cardsagain74
05-24-2020, 01:22 PM
I have never submitted anything for grading before, but the time will likely come soon to submit to PSA. A few questions for those who have been through the ringer:

How do you manage the value tiers when deciding how much to pay to get something graded, and do you feel that the estimated tier that you chose for submission influences the grade you get? Especially when it comes to wondering if something pristine and valuable will get a 9 or 10, and how you can never really tell what they'll do.

A perfect example is a 2000 Bowman Tom Brady. PSA 9s selling for $900, and PSA 10s selling for at least $4000. If you have one that seems perfect, do you choose the higher value tier to submit, or let them charge your account afterward if they give it a 10? Might paying the high tier initially help get you a 10?

And for economy/value club, situations like my small stack of mint '89 UD Randy Johnsons. The 10s are now selling for more than $100, but do you really treat any possible 10s as beyond the "under $100" value pricing in a spot like that? And once again, could it influence how many 10s you get?

Any advice is appreciated!

conor912
05-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Submit at the lower tier. If it grades a 10, they'll call you and shake you down for more money.

I would also say assume you'll never see your cards ever again, then when they show up 4 months later (on a 30 day sub), you'll be pleasantly surprised.

steve B
05-24-2020, 09:45 PM
Submit at the lower tier. If it grades a 10, they'll call you and shake you down for more money.

I would also say assume you'll never see your cards ever again, then when they show up 4 months later (on a 30 day sub), you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Overgrading and then asking for more money, plus a long delay for the prices to go up....

sounds like a great business model:rolleyes:

pokerplyr80
05-24-2020, 10:12 PM
You're supposed to submit at a service level for what the card is worth raw, not what it might be worth if it gets a desired grade. And I wouldn't assume a 10.

I have heard from others who have gotten a call that because of a high grade their card required a higher service level. I'm sure no one minds paying the difference in grading fees in that situation. This has never happened to be, but I've only submitted cards a few times.

conor912
05-24-2020, 11:32 PM
I'm sure no one minds paying the difference in grading fees in that situation.

Great business model, indeed.

toledo_mudhen
05-25-2020, 03:31 AM
I don't believe mere mortals are capable of determining a 10.

If it was mine I would submit value as an 8 (or the price paid if you paid more than 8 money) and see what happens as I think the value you place on the card also determines insurance value.

As for turnaround - Unless you submit at "Express" or Super Express" or higher level then don't expect to see your card back to you anytime within the next 6 months or so.

notfast
05-25-2020, 06:45 AM
You're supposed to submit at a service level for what the card is worth raw, not what it might be worth if it gets a desired grade. And I wouldn't assume a 10.

This is incorrect. You’re supposed to declare a value that is close to what the card is worth graded.

As long as you aren’t obviously abusing the system, you won’t have any huge issues. Ie) don’t send a $1000 raw card via bulk service.

imdaman1964
05-25-2020, 08:04 AM
Still waiting on credits from 2 months ago to be approved for a previous long overdue submission and from 3 packs submitted last December.

I would say they are a criminal enterprise branded as a grading service

bobbyw8469
05-25-2020, 08:18 AM
Still waiting on credits from 2 months ago to be approved for a previous long overdue submission and from 3 packs submitted last December.

I would say they are a criminal enterprise branded as a grading service

In their defense, they haven't been fully operational since this Covid-19 has taken over. Cut them some slack.

pokerplyr80
05-25-2020, 09:38 AM
This is incorrect. You’re supposed to declare a value that is close to what the card is worth graded.

As long as you aren’t obviously abusing the system, you won’t have any huge issues. Ie) don’t send a $1000 raw card via bulk service.

This is incorrect. Although the second statement is accurate.

rats60
05-25-2020, 09:52 AM
I would submit it with a declared value of 499.00 unless you are in a hurry to get it back. If it gets a 9, they probably won’t ask for more. If it gets a 10, they probably will. No sense paying higher grading fees and having it come back an 8.

cardsagain74
05-25-2020, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I was wondering if maybe PSA used their SMR as the value guide for grading charges (even with as off as they are on something like the Brady rookies), but opinion seems divided on that.

notfast
05-25-2020, 03:15 PM
This is incorrect. Although the second statement is accurate.

Nope.

https://www.psacard.com/resources/faq#104

"Q: How much do I pay, and what is a Declared Value?
A: Once you are prepared to fill out a submission form, you will need to select a Service Level, which is determined by your Declared Value. The Declared Value is your estimate of the value of the item after it has been assigned a grade by PSA. We understand you will not know the true value of the item until it has been graded, so we ask that you form a realistic, educated estimate based on your own research, keeping in mind that the Declared Value acts as a maximum value for shipping insurance purposes and in the event of a claim related to the item"

pokerplyr80
05-25-2020, 03:50 PM
Interesting, that's not what I was told by PSA when I contacted them. Perhaps I was given incorrect information, or their policy has changed. I remember having that exact discussion though, as the value at one grade or another would change the service level. I was told use what you think it's worth raw. That's what I've always done.

Fuddjcal
05-25-2020, 04:42 PM
Nope.

https://www.psacard.com/resources/faq#104

"Q: How much do I pay, and what is a Declared Value?
A: Once you are prepared to fill out a submission form, you will need to select a Service Level, which is determined by your Declared Value. The Declared Value is your estimate of the value of the item after it has been assigned a grade by PSA. We understand you will not know the true value of the item until it has been graded, so we ask that you form a realistic, educated estimate based on your own research, keeping in mind that the Declared Value acts as a maximum value for shipping insurance purposes and in the event of a claim related to the item"

Personally, I think this is criminal in it's own right.

conor912
05-25-2020, 04:57 PM
Personally, I think this is criminal in it's own right.

Yeah, I’m not sure how an opinion is worth more or less based on said opinion itself. Isn’t that like saying, “in our opinion, you owe us more money.”

You know I would love to see is someone submit at a 9, and have it grade a 10, then when PSA calls to say they graded it a 10 so we need more money from you, the submitter says no. I wonder what the policy is then. Do they downgrade their own opinion And slab it as a 9 just because he won’t pay up?

Directly
05-25-2020, 07:01 PM
Its convincing grading can be the way to go sometimes increase selling results by 10 fold ++ (if one is lucky)- when a raw card selling for $100.00 graded may turn into a $1,000 card--I bought a ungraded card for $1200 had it graded sold the same card for $2500.

A collector (investor ??) mentioned he will only by graded cards.

My question when someone comes along and devises a computer driven grading card system, what might it do to the human graded cards values?

conor912
05-25-2020, 07:21 PM
My question when someone comes along and devises a computer driven grading card system, what might it do to the human graded cards values?

Especially if you can put slabbed cards in said machine and see how the grades compare. Woah Nelly.

riggs336
05-25-2020, 08:06 PM
Interesting, that's not what I was told by PSA when I contacted them. Perhaps I was given incorrect information, or their policy has changed. I remember having that exact discussion though, as the value at one grade or another would change the service level. I was told use what you think it's worth raw. That's what I've always done.

Clearly their policy has changed. I was told by PSA some years ago to use their own SMR evaluations or a printed guide.