PDA

View Full Version : Question About Pocket Plastic Sleeves

jgannon
05-23-2020, 09:12 AM
Hi guys -

I started putting together a 1964 Topps set, and I'm using 9-pocket Ultra Pro plastic sleeves to house them.

The thing is, when I go to open up the binder, most, if not all, of the top parts of the cards are slightly exposed. You can push the cards down and they fit in, but if you start turning the pages, they come back up a little bit. I'm just thinking that in the long run, this is going to damage the tops of the cards, their corners, etc.

They are the right sleeves as far as I know, for these cards. Does anybody else have this issue, or do they recommend using another company's sleeves?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me about this!

Marchillo
05-23-2020, 09:30 AM
I notice this with the top row only not the second and third rows. It’s a little annoying for sure. I store my binders standing upright in a 4 binder holder so they are fine. I don’t notice a huge problem turning the pages but maybe a few slide up here and there and I just push them back down.

jgannon
05-23-2020, 10:31 AM
I notice this with the top row only not the second and third rows. It’s a little annoying for sure. I store my binders standing upright in a 4 binder holder so they are fine. I don’t notice a huge problem turning the pages but maybe a few slide up here and there and I just push them back down.

Ok, so I guess I'm not the only one dealing with this. Good idea about storing the binders upright. I haven't really formally stored the few binders I have of complete sets, and storing them upright is probably the best thing one can do.

Common sense never goes out of style! Thanks.

BigSix
05-24-2020, 09:20 AM
I’m finally retrieving my card sets and partial sets from the closet and storing upright in binders so I can better access and enjoy them. Building on the original poster’s question are there any opinions on the following?

1. The Ultra Pro Sheets are available in the Silver series or Platinum series. The Platinum are heavier gauge plastic but more expensive. Would you recommend the Platinum sheet or am I’m just over thinking this? Storing fairly high-condition 1960’s and early 1970’s sets. Earlier cards are in more modest condition.

2. The more important question for us that store our cards in the 3 D-Ring binders is what potentially damage to we need to mindful of?

Thank you in advance for any input

icollectDCsports
05-24-2020, 10:30 AM
I’m finally retrieving my card sets and partial sets from the closet and storing upright in binders so I can better access and enjoy them. Building on the original poster’s question are there any opinions on the following?

1. The Ultra Pro Sheets are available in the Silver series or Platinum series. The Platinum are heavier gauge plastic but more expensive. Would you recommend the Platinum sheet or am I’m just over thinking this? Storing fairly high-condition 1960’s and early 1970’s sets. Earlier cards are in more modest condition.

2. The more important question for us that store our cards in the 3 D-Ring binders is what potentially damage to we need to mindful of?

One issue to guard against is curling of the sheets, and potential damage to the cards on the bottom, if a binder isn't held tightly closed when placed upright. If the binder covers open up under the weight of the contents, the binder can tip forward a bit and the front of the sheets can come in contact with the shelf the binder is sitting on. Binder cases can help prevent this.

Marchillo
05-24-2020, 04:18 PM
One issue to guard against is curling of the sheets, and potential damage to the cards on the bottom, if a binder isn't held tightly closed when placed upright. If the binder covers open up under the weight of the contents, the binder can tip forward a bit and the front of the sheets can come in contact with the shelf the binder is sitting on. Binder cases can help prevent this.

That’s exactly what I do but it’s not cheap. You still have to be careful for 800 card sets no matter what. I also like the more expensive sheets better. They just seem nicer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200524/5e18114300573e134f752808fcb17c39.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200524/b59ec074c8b56807f41a5366b4717154.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhibitman
05-25-2020, 12:49 PM
I use four pocket pages and either mylars or card savers. No issues but a lot more pages.

dabigyankeeman
05-25-2020, 03:10 PM

I use the Platinum series, they are great. As to storing, I use D ring binders and store them FLAT, no more than 4 high. Flat keeps the cards perfect, storing standing up the sheets and cards can curl at the bottom and not stay flat. Never had card damage from the sheets or binders or from them coming out, but also I put my cards in back to back which makes them move less in the pockets as they double the thickness this way in the pocket.

I store cards like this from cheap cards to expensive cards and have done so for decades.

Harliduck
05-25-2020, 04:18 PM

The Silver Series are garbage...spend a little more on the Platinum. After a couple years, the Silvers start to "loosen" and are sloppy...the Platinums stay firm, I've had zero issues and I also don't have any card movement...and I did with the Silvers. I went through all my sets a while back and replaced ANY Silver sheets I accidentally used in the past. Black box Platinum only...

Harliduck
05-25-2020, 04:23 PM
https://i.ibb.co/Cbbt4zb/Cards.jpg

Here is my binders being stored...

jgannon
05-25-2020, 05:13 PM
Interesting to hear the silver vs. platinum conversation as well as the flat vs. upright debate.

I'm storing my 64's in the silver. I can understand the criticism of them, as a couple of times, I accidentally ripped a right hand side on the right bottom corner.

I have some plastic sheets that I got years ago and they're a little thicker. I'd also like to get plastic sheets without the company's brand name on them. My old sheets were just clear plastic sheets. The Ultra Pro label is not that big, and doesn't really get in the way, but I'd just rather see the cards.

Bigdaddy
05-25-2020, 05:26 PM
I generally use the Platinum sheets, though I had to look at a couple of boxes to make sure. I also buy my three ring D-binders at Costco - they are about $3 each in packs of three or four. Simple white binders with a clear pocket on the front, stored upright.

I've created cover sheets for each set as shown below:

Ronnie73
05-25-2020, 05:36 PM
I don't have a ton of binders like some have here but the sets I do have binders for, this is how I do it. I keep them standing up so I can easily access them. I use closest to the cheapest binder that I can find at Staples. I determine the thickness of the sheets with cards in them to hold a complete set and purchase a binder thickness that's equal to that measurement. This way when they are side by size on a shelf, the pages can't curl. For set's that are not complete and are in progress, I buy a cheap pad of paper and use it as a spacer until there's enough cards in the pages to fill the thickness of the binder. I usually use UltraPro pages. Cards that go in the pages are usually not valuable 10's. Cards from the 1980's probably average an 8 when coming out of a pack and into a pocket page. The little bit of movement of the cards will likely not affect the original grade they would have gotten. Lastly, I believe that pocket pages were meant to help enjoy the set you built, while keeping them clean and in order. They were never designed to replace a PSA case.

insidethewrapper
05-25-2020, 06:12 PM
Who sells binder cases ? thanks

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-25-2020, 06:26 PM
Who sells binder cases ? thanksbindertek.com or archivalmethods.com

The former is cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigSix
05-31-2020, 02:33 PM
A big thank you to the Net54baseball community for the input on storing the cards in binders. I will upgrade to the UltraPro Platinum sheets and look for binder slip cases for the albums.

All the Best