PDA

View Full Version : 1916 Tango Brand Eggs Set

danf19
05-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Ive googled this set and its seems interesting and not that popular - which is sometimes great for collectability and price !
Does anyone have any thoughts on the set ??
Thanks
Dan

asphaltman
05-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Ive googled this set and its seems interesting and not that popular - which is sometimes great for collectability and price !
Does anyone have any thoughts on the set ??
Thanks
Dan

Nice set. I’ve always thought it was neat. Problem is some players can be found in abundance and then others you’ll rarely see.

x2drich2000
05-14-2020, 04:49 PM
Most of the cards mirror the E/D/T family of sets. I believe most of the cards originated from a couple finds. As Dave said, some are really easy, even in high grade (Jennings, McQuillan, Bescher come to mind) while the really big names (Cobb standing, Cobb batting, Plank) are all unique as far as I am aware.

Griffins
05-14-2020, 11:32 PM
I've been collecting this set for almost 20 years, up to 15 different now, it's definitely been slow going. Prices, for the most part, have really come down and at least 9-10 different can be easily found, often in high grade.
Basically there was a find about '91 where the vast majority of these came from. There are tiers of scarcity, but Bescher and Jennings were about half of the find. Some of the others only had a few copies, and a couple are unique.
4 cards have surfaced that were not part of the find- both Cobbs, Plank and Oakes. They are all in pretty rough condition, and at least the Oakes and one of the Cobbs are number stamped on the back. I think these are the way they were issued at the time of release
I'm pretty convinced there were 48 in the set, but only 21 have surfaced so far. Who knows if another new one will pop up, let alone the remaining ones.

Griffins
05-14-2020, 11:39 PM
Attached is the letter from the family that located the vast majority of Tango Eggs. I believe the major dealer they initially sold to was Alan Rosen.
The letter states that Morgan is unique, this is not accurate and there are 2 known copies. It also states there are copies of Wagner and Tinker that are not part of the find, I don't believe this has been verified and REA offered a reward for evidence of them, the reward was unclaimed.

Jobu
05-15-2020, 09:34 AM
Plus, there is one ghost. :D

steve B
05-15-2020, 08:58 PM
I'm still mad at Mr Mint for never returning my call on the ad for them.