PDA

View Full Version : E125 American Caramel Diecuts

Vintagecatcher
05-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Excited to just complete my run on catchers in the E125 American Caramel Diecut set.

With my recent purchase of Bill Carrigan, I now have all four catchers in the set. One catcher for each of the 4 teams in the set: Bill Carrigan (Boston Americans), George Gibson (Pittsburgh Pirates), Ira Thomas ( Philadelphia Americans), and Art Wilson (New York Nationals).

I also discovered that there must have been several printings in the set. The Bill Carrigan can be found with two different tab configurations. One with both tabs between his legs and the other with larger tabs with one between his legs and one to the right. I also noticed that some players also have a small black square printed on the diecut, whereas others do not including the same players.

Patrick

rjackson44
05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
just stunning i have a wagner reprint ,,oh well .GREAT CARD

Vintagecatcher
05-14-2020, 09:12 AM
Thanks Octavio!

Patrick

phlflyer1
05-14-2020, 10:41 AM
Patrick,

That's great information about such a scarce set. I would guess that the changed the tabs because the one configuration didn't stand up so well.

I only have one E125 for my type collection but really enjoy seeing examples from this set.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on completing your catcher run!

scooter729
05-14-2020, 12:59 PM
Nice work! They're hard to come by, so congrats on your collection!

I collect early Red Sox so I have a few Sox players from the set, so I'll share a scan as well....

Aaron Seefeldt
05-14-2020, 01:36 PM
I've noticed the same with the Speaker fielding pose. The ones with the full tabs at bottom seem more common as I've only come across 1 with the "shorter tabs". I figured they may have been printed in a different year or from a different printer...

paul
05-14-2020, 02:52 PM
I've always assumed the "short tab" versions are simply trimmed. Is that not the case?

Aaron Seefeldt
05-14-2020, 03:03 PM
They're not trimmed. As Scott said earlier, which makes sense, they realized the ones with smaller tabs couldn't stand upright as was intended so they were redone with larger tabs. It's possible they were a proof of sorts...

rman444
05-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Here's the tougher of the 2 Wagners

paul
05-14-2020, 05:17 PM
I'm glad to hear they are not trimmed. I own a Speaker fielding pose with no flap around his foot, as shown in Aaron's post.

ValKehl
05-14-2020, 08:33 PM
This is my E125 type card. Patrick, I notice that my card and a couple of the E125's shown above have "PATENT APPLIED FOR" printed vertically on one of the tabs. Inasmuch as neither of your Carrigans has this, does this suggest at least 3 printings?

Vintagecatcher
05-14-2020, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the responses gentlemen!

Like to also thank Bill Cornell for trading his E125, George Gibson, to me which started me on this quest.

Glad I was able to pick up the Bill Carrigan E125 that has both tabs between his legs. I like that design better than the other style.

Aaron I figured you would have seen the two different tabs since you have owned so many of the E125 diecuts. Has the Murray E125 been verified yet?

I'm also curious as to how many of these E125s actually exist. I know the 4 players I have in my collection have between 3-5 graded examples.

Patrick

Aaron Seefeldt
05-14-2020, 09:17 PM
Here’s a scan of a Murray that sold last week in Heritage. In terms of scarcity it’s difficult to assess this set as every few years a few more e125s get discovered. There’s only 1 Plank known and it sold last fall in REA. A couple of guys have posted very rare HOF’ers from the set (Wagner batting & Hooper) earlier in this thread. The Wagner batting is the most valuable one in the set in my opinion, especially with the full bat attached like Richard’s above. I’ve seen 2 Benders and they’re both missing a tab and in rough shape. There are a few common players with 2 known and there are a few players that seem to have a lot more (Flynn & Wagner throwing seem to be most common).
I’ve made a run at the set 2 times and both times I was missing the Baker so I gave up as I thought I’d never get 1 of the 2 known copies. Last week I was thrilled to get the Baker in Heritage in an Auth holder. The slabs do NOT add anything aesthetically to e125s, they weigh a ton in the plastic especially when trying to store 30-35 in bank boxes. Look at how much extra plastic is around the actual cards, they look better out of the slabs

Vintagecatcher
05-14-2020, 09:24 PM
Are all of the known E125s listed on the back checklists now verified?

Patrick

Aaron Seefeldt
05-14-2020, 09:31 PM
Yes, they’ve all been confirmed. There’s 2 diff Speakers and Wagners even though the backs list them once

Vintagecatcher
05-14-2020, 09:39 PM
Thanks again Aaron!

I have also seen a few boxers as well.

Patrick

Vintagecatcher
05-15-2020, 06:10 AM
Aaron,

I have released all of mine from the grading slabs. Actually none of my collection reside in slabs.

Patrick

phlflyer1
05-15-2020, 06:14 AM
Aaron, that's awesome information. Thanks for sharing it and congrats on acquiring the Baker. It sounds like its time for a third run at the set with the third time being the charm and all.

Richard, great to see your post and thanks for sharing the Wagner batting. Yet another Wagner card that is much, much tougher than his T206!

MartyFromCANADA
05-15-2020, 10:52 AM
Here's my E125 Gibson framed with his M101-2 and Notebook cover. (same pose)

nolemmings
05-16-2020, 08:24 PM
Great scans and info, guys. Would really love to see a front and back scan of Murphy if you please.

Aaron Seefeldt
05-16-2020, 11:54 PM
I have made a run at the set twice and both times I was missing Murphy & Baker. When I did the article with Old Cardboard I was missing Baker, Cicotte, & Murphy. The Cicotte scan was provided by the Dreiers who went on to complete the set (as was stated by REA) after I sold mine. They, in turn, sold their set through Legendary Auctions which was put out of biz by the feds when Doug A. and Mark T. were arrested. I don’t know if there was a Murphy or not, it is the only one I have never seen.

DCDSports
05-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Hey Aaron,

We loved putting together the E125 set and had as much of it as known/possible at the time.

Really cool cards, but they were a pain to handle and display. We really did enjoy putting together oddball sets . . . Just seeing all these in pictures brings back great memories!

Aaron Seefeldt
12-10-2020, 10:59 PM
Heritage has had some of the scarcest e125s in their last couple of auctions. Two copies of Plank (there was only 1 known before), a couple of Wagner/batting (even though bat tips were missing), a couple of Benders (makes 4 known but none of them have the glove), and a couple of Murphys, as well as an elusive Krause and Hartzell. Last but not least a multiple Bakers and a Speaker batting. All very tough cards but with so many new ones coming to auction the last couple/few months, will it make them more collectible for set collectors? Or does it just soften the prices? I guess time will tell. Still some of the most beautiful cards/die cuts/"paper dolls" in the industry in my humble opinion.

Congrats to all that acquired them! Happy collecting!

oldeboo
12-10-2020, 11:47 PM
All very tough cards but with so many new ones coming to auction the last couple/few months, will it make them more collectible for set collectors? Or does it just soften the prices? I guess time will tell.

First off, a bunch of really neat cards in here. I think with something that is as scarce as these it doesn't draw in your typical set collector. If there were a lot of people trying to put a set together, I think the prices would be a lot stronger. With something of this rarity it only would take a handful or two of serious set collectors to drive these prices absolutely wild. It seems it's more of a type card, team specific, HOFer, etc centric set. That could certainly change though. As more of these come to market it certainly will spark the idea for a few people. Either way, I doubt prices soften that much. As you said, time will tell.

Aaron Seefeldt
12-11-2020, 12:06 AM
Now that there are 4 e125 Benders confirmed (3 graded & 1 raw), it's interesting that none of them have their gloves attached. As we know many of the e125s have the same photos as e98s, and the e98 Bender has the glove hand cut off as well... something to ponder.

Steve D
12-11-2020, 12:31 AM
https://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399859&stc=1&d=1589484935

My only question.....

Why is Speaker wearing dress shoes?

Steve