View Full Version : Baseball Card Museum

bmcnutt
05-11-2020, 10:17 PM
Has anyone else seen this?

http://americanbaseballcardmuseum.org/index.html

Thoughts?

Fred
05-11-2020, 10:29 PM
That is just too much. I need to create a web site similar to that one and see how well it works. Anybody on this board feel like donating to my museum? There's a tax deduction in there somewhere.:p

h2oya311
05-12-2020, 05:37 AM
How many collections of beat-up 1986-1992 Topps can one man possibly accept before finally pulling the plug on this endeavor! I love that the museum gallery has a whopping zero images!

steve B
05-12-2020, 12:40 PM
Their acceptance policy says they rarely accept anything 1980 or newer.

Not a bad angle.

benjulmag
05-12-2020, 10:13 PM
This is their deaccession policy:

Deaccession Policy

The American Baseball Card Museum believes that the deaccessioning of trading cards from our collection is an important part of building, maintaining, and properly caring for and exhibiting our card collection. Accordingly, the Museum has adopted the following policy on deaccessioning:

This policy applies only to cards formally accepted by the Museum as part of our permanent collection. Cards not part of our collection may be sold, gifted, discarded, or otherwise disposed of at any time and for any reason.
A card may be removed from our collection for any one of the following reasons:
Holding the card is inconsistent with the Museum's mission or vision, or the card is otherwise not a logical part of our collection.
The card is a duplicate of another card in our collection.
The authenticity of the card has been seriously questioned.
The card has been determined to have been altered, colored, shaved, or otherwise modified.
We believe the card has been stolen, or that the Museum does not have good title.
The card has been damaged or seriously deteriorated.
Deaccession is advisable in the judgment of the Museum's directors after considering the public interest and the Museum's mission and resources.
Any card eligible for deaccession may be sold, and the sale proceeds may be used to acquire cards for the collection or for Museum operations.
No card shall be sold or transfered to a director, employee, or volunteer of the Museum.
This policy may be modified at any time by the Museum directors.

Translated: You gift to us, and we at any time for any reason can decide to sell it and retain the proceeds.

mouschi
05-12-2020, 11:15 PM
OooooOOOoohhh! I'd like to start a museum myself. All your baseball cards are belong to us! :D

Koufax32fan
05-13-2020, 10:37 AM
If you are really looking to donate any of your cards or other memorabilia, there are other museums and nonprofits that could be potential recipients, as evidenced by the Met's Jefferson Burdick collection.

When we visited the Baseball Hall of Fame a number of years ago, my son and I spent a morning in the research center. We looked through dozens of folders of their images/paper - for Sandy Koufax, Wrigley Field, Christy Mathewson and Doc Oberlander and others. They didn't have any photographs of Doc Oberlander and we discussed his Old Judge Cards. They did have a copy of his obituary that I copied. The research librarian told me that that the Hall would gladly accept the original Old Judge cards. I am not "done" with them yet, so I sent the Hall digital files of the Old Judge cards that I had at the time for their files. I have told my kids that if they don't want them after they inherit them that those should be donated to the Hall. And, I have more wire photos of Sandy Koufax than they did; they would love those too.

I don't know for sure, but I have an educated opinion that the Hall would gladly accept many of the rare items that are often shared here. But, not the junk cases. And, I am not a shill for the Hall. Another one of my favorite places to visit is the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City. And, there are many local museums/hall of fames that might be interested. Or, you can send your cards to that guy.

55koufax
05-13-2020, 11:00 AM
My case of 1990 Fleer Baseball is worthy of a $1000 tax deduction as a charitable contribution?

This scheme so reminds me of The Universal Life Church ministry scam in the 1980's whereby for $25 they ordained you a as a minister. All home expenses became tax deductible!

Seven
05-13-2020, 11:47 AM
Seems very suspect to me, on a side note though, There is a new small section in the Hall of Fame dedicated entirely to Cards, In my experience it was very nice. Some beautiful displays of vintage cards, in these gigantic, pullout sort of cases. Very enjoyable when I was there in the summer of 2019.

bnorth
05-14-2020, 07:17 AM
This is their deaccession policy:

Deaccession Policy

The American Baseball Card Museum believes that the deaccessioning of trading cards from our collection is an important part of building, maintaining, and properly caring for and exhibiting our card collection. Accordingly, the Museum has adopted the following policy on deaccessioning:

This policy applies only to cards formally accepted by the Museum as part of our permanent collection. Cards not part of our collection may be sold, gifted, discarded, or otherwise disposed of at any time and for any reason.
A card may be removed from our collection for any one of the following reasons:
Holding the card is inconsistent with the Museum's mission or vision, or the card is otherwise not a logical part of our collection.
The card is a duplicate of another card in our collection.
The authenticity of the card has been seriously questioned.
The card has been determined to have been altered, colored, shaved, or otherwise modified.
We believe the card has been stolen, or that the Museum does not have good title.
The card has been damaged or seriously deteriorated.
Deaccession is advisable in the judgment of the Museum's directors after considering the public interest and the Museum's mission and resources.
Any card eligible for deaccession may be sold, and the sale proceeds may be used to acquire cards for the collection or for Museum operations.
No card shall be sold or transfered to a director, employee, or volunteer of the Museum.
This policy may be modified at any time by the Museum directors.

Translated: You gift to us, and we at any time for any reason can decide to sell it and retain the proceeds.

Sadly this is how real museums also work.

bmattioli
05-14-2020, 07:35 AM
They also gladly accept cash donations..

T206Collector
05-14-2020, 07:46 AM
Now your cards are tax deductible!

http://americanbaseballcardmuseum.org/deductionPrimer.html

Leon
05-16-2020, 10:38 AM
They also gladly accept cash donations..

Thank goodness. I was wondering what to do with a few extra dollars I have. Send it to crazy people. Check is in the mail....