PDA

View Full Version : National Game, Tom Barker, Polo Grounds sets

phikappapsi
05-11-2020, 10:16 AM
Gents - just wanted to start a little discussion around these sets as I've always found them interesting, but only recently started actually collecting one of them. They're a odd little niche; in that you can find the cards in relatively high grades (starting with round corners helps) and there's a lot of star power in the sets; but they aren't really "baseball cards" so much as they are their own thing that I'd classify as baseball card-adjacent.

Compared to T or E series cards of the same era, the pricing is generally fractions of these set's contemporaries.

Not really looking to guide a discussion or ask any questions, more curious about other's thoughts/feelings about these issues.

Gobucsmagic74
05-11-2020, 10:19 AM
I love these issues and that I'm able to own a playing days Joe Jackson card, of any sort, with a great image is the reason why.

phikappapsi
05-11-2020, 10:21 AM
I love these issues and that I'm able to own a playing days Joe Jackson card, of any sort, with a great image is the reason why.

Great card - such an appeal for me as well. I've always been attracted to black and White photo cards as well; so it's a double hit for me.

GasHouseGang
05-11-2020, 10:23 AM
I think some of the photos are great, but I've never pulled the trigger and actually picked up any. I guess because like you said, they aren't actually a "baseball card". But I keep looking at them and thinking about bidding, but just never have.

trambo
05-11-2020, 10:34 AM
The WG5 set (National Game) is one of my favorites. I can appreciate they weren't issued in the same way as their like era counterparts but that they were playing cards, they are still cards. It's a great set to get at a fraction of the price of their contemporaries!! Very happy to have completed it!!!

A few pieces of eye candy for those of you who are into these!

phikappapsi
05-11-2020, 10:38 AM
The WG5 set (National Game) is one of my favorites. I can appreciate they weren't issued in the same way as their like era counterparts but that they were playing cards, they are still cards. It's a great set to get at a fraction of the price of their contemporaries!! Very happy to have completed it!!!

A few pieces of eye candy for those of you who are into these!

Wow - how many other sets (black swamp aside) from the early teens can be built with HOFers like that, at that grade?

trambo
05-11-2020, 10:42 AM
Wow - how many other sets (black swamp aside) from the early teens can be built with HOFers like that, at that grade?

100% agree! That's why I decided to put it together. You can get very high graded cards of this set for similar prices to several grades lower of t206, e90-1, etc...

The Johnson card is one of my favorites! I have all of the set in 8 or better with a bunch of high grade doubles I need to do something with..haha!

At some point you'd think these cards would catch on. It's a beautiful set!

phikappapsi
05-11-2020, 10:50 AM
100% agree! That's why I decided to put it together. You can get very high graded cards of this set for similar prices to several grades lower of t206, e90-1, etc...

The Johnson card is one of my favorites! I have all of the set in 8 or better with a bunch of high grade doubles I need to do something with..haha!

At some point you'd think these cards would catch on. It's a beautiful set!

Funny - I think I was just evaluating you Jackson 8 on the bay

trambo
05-11-2020, 11:26 AM
Funny - I think I was just evaluating you Jackson 8 on the bay

That would be my double! :D

Butch7999
05-11-2020, 12:02 PM
... but they aren't really "baseball cards" so much as they are their own thing that I'd classify as baseball card-adjacent.

The word you want for that "thing" is "game." They were sold, as everyone knows, as complete sets,
in often attractive boxes, with playing fields and markers and a booklet or page of rules and instructions,
not collected a card at a time like proper "baseball cards." It kills us to see these great old games ruined
by being broken up to be sold off for parts. It seems no different than buying just the 3 of clubs or the
6 of spades from a regular deck of playing cards, or a leg from one chair in a set of Stickley furniture.

GeoPoto
05-11-2020, 12:30 PM
It kills us to see these great old games ruined
by being broken up to be sold off for parts. It seems no different than buying just the 3 of clubs or the
6 of spades from a regular deck of playing cards, or a leg from one chair in a set of Stickley furniture.

I don't know. It works OK for those of us that only collect the 3 of clubs.
https://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399251&stc=1&d=1589221666
https://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399252&stc=1&d=1589221708

GeoPoto
05-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Or the six of spades.
https://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399253&stc=1&d=1589222360
https://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399254&stc=1&d=1589222376

phikappapsi
05-11-2020, 12:40 PM
The word you want for that "thing" is "game." They were sold, as everyone knows, as complete sets,
in often attractive boxes, with playing fields and markers and a booklet or page of rules and instructions,
not collected a card at a time like proper "baseball cards." It kills us to see these great old games ruined

that is an entirely fair and valid point. But, I happen to completely disagree with it - because; if it weren't for the baseball players making it collectible; it would have almost certainly held little to no value, and thusly would not be nearly as well preserved as it now is. So, in sticking with your analogy - if it weren't for the people that wanted that 3 of clubs; the game would likely be gone and forgotten completely.

trambo
05-11-2020, 01:21 PM
Didn't want to leave this guy out. I do have a little diversity in my 1913 cards...haha!!

clydepepper
05-11-2020, 01:44 PM
I've always liked them...love the backs, though I'm not showing any here:

scooter729
05-11-2020, 02:20 PM
Not much in the way of errors / variations, though there is one Home Run Baker card which has a scarce version with a Fenway Breweries stamp along the side.

I have one of these from both the National Game and the Tom Barker sets....

Butch7999
05-11-2020, 03:01 PM
... if it weren't for the baseball players making it collectible; it would have almost certainly held little to no value...
if it weren't for the people that wanted that 3 of clubs; the game would likely be gone and forgotten completely.

Was it Cleopatra who said "I'm not prone to argue"? And we know we're not going to change a single mind in here.
But, respectfully, there is a substantial clique of game collectors who would refute your basic premise.
Yes, famous names and famous faces do, as a general rule, give extricated components of antique games
a higher market value, but hundreds of games lacking those features or endorsements do pretty well anyway,
antiquity, aesthetics, rarity, completeness, and play quality all mattering more to most game geeks than does
resale value. So with no desire to debate, we'll have to agree to disagree.

rgpete
05-11-2020, 05:21 PM
This was my affordable option for a Tom Barker, Joe Jackson which was graded good by PSA