PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Community - Negro League Book

aljurgela
05-09-2020, 02:08 PM
Hello friends,

As most of you know, I have an extensive Negro League collection and have shared a large part of it over the years on a number of threads here at Net54. I also receive many direct messages, ebay messages and messages from the SGC registry that ask for my opinion and guidance. I try to be as responsive as I can be to those requests and I ultimately decided to try and "codify" my knowledge and thoughts in a book about Negro League cards. Much has been written about NL history, and I think that Phil Garry's Negro League Baseball Collectibles Guide is a fantastic reference book for cards,collectibles and other items. Of particular interest to me was the Appendix I in his book which lays out the "Top Negro League Baseball Cards of All-Time". It was a great list and debated somewhat on net54, which was fun. Most of those who had opinions had extensive knowledge of the cards (and in fact owned many of them). I thought that the conversation was so rich that it could be explored in more depth. I also felt that many were left out of that conversation due to the fact that a lot of the "base information" was not (and still is not) widely known/broadcast.

So, my question to the community is to try to understand if there is a "market" for a book of the top Negro League cards (only cards). I see this to include scans of every card (front and back), a write up of the card and issue and why it is placed in its given slot, pop report numbers (SGC & PSA) and public and private sales when available.

I am sure that the printing costs for a small run would be on the high side, but I wanted to gauge the community thoughts here and if there is interest, I would likely start with a book on just the Negro League HOF cards (which is what most people contact me about). Then I would move to the non-HOFer Negro League cards (a much bigger project - likely just for the die-hards). If these prove successful, I would probably move to the global football/soccer cards, which is daunting, but do-able over a number of years.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

swarmee
05-09-2020, 02:21 PM
I think it would be a great asset to the hobby. What if you got PSA to underwrite the production costs so they could give it away to their annual subscribers? They always love giving out coffee table books and featured signed rookie cards, T206s, Cracker Jacks, etc in previous years. It's at least worth considering, because it will also broaden your market.

And by the way, make sure you caught this thread: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281448&highlight=cuban

aljurgela
05-09-2020, 03:42 PM
I think it would be a great asset to the hobby. What if you got PSA to underwrite the production costs so they could give it away to their annual subscribers? They always love giving out coffee table books and featured signed rookie cards, T206s, Cracker Jacks, etc in previous years. It's at least worth considering, because it will also broaden your market.

And by the way, make sure you caught this thread: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281448&highlight=cuban

Mabye SGC as 99% of the cards are in SGC holders... Very good idea.... Does SGC have an annual membership these days? I think that they went back and forth...

Exhibitman
05-09-2020, 09:24 PM
Drop me a PM and I will give you the lowdown on how to publish a work like you are proposing.

Fred
05-10-2020, 08:00 PM
Al,

Find out the approximate cost of print run and then determine the selling price. If it's somewhat reasonable, I'll be in for a copy, not because I collect that genre, but because I like reading about other hobby topics besides what I collect, especially if the information is comprehensive and somewhat interesting.

aljurgela
05-11-2020, 04:15 PM
Al,

Find out the approximate cost of print run and then determine the selling price. If it's somewhat reasonable, I'll be in for a copy, not because I collect that genre, but because I like reading about other hobby topics besides what I collect, especially if the information is comprehensive and somewhat interesting.

Thanks Fred.... I will let you know I find.

Al

Miked1979
05-11-2020, 04:21 PM
I would be interested in such a book. I collect Negro League cards. I have the Negro League Collectibles guide, and would think your idea on expanding just in cards would be great.

Scocs
05-11-2020, 04:28 PM
Al,

Regarding your proposed book, should it focus on HOFers? Sure, but not only on them.

Part of the charm and interest I have in Negro League Baseball are the stories of all the players who appear on 1909-1929 Cuban cards because they are the only baseball cards you can actually find them on.

That would include great players like Oliver Marcelle, Dick Lundy, Alejandro Oms, Nip Winters, Jesse Hubbard, Red Ryan...plus all those great Latino players who played in the Negro Leagues. And there’s ultimately not too many of them to write about since there were certainly more Negro Leaguers who did not appear on any cards during their playing careers.

Just my two cents...and good luck with the book. I would totally purchase a copy!

Scott

paul
05-11-2020, 04:38 PM
I would definitely be interested in buying the proposed book.

Scocs
05-11-2020, 08:06 PM
....oh, and don’t forget about Clint Thomas, Dobie Moore, Frank Duncan, Edgar Wesley.....

Now that would be SOME book!

triwak
05-13-2020, 12:21 PM
I would definitely be interested in reading/perusing/contributing images to such a book! (I refer to Phil's book, often).

Miked1979
05-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Where are / Negro League Cuban and Puerto Rican league cards for sale posted in the Buy/ Sell/ trade section of Net54?

Scocs
05-13-2020, 02:24 PM
How about a nice Tomas Gutierrez Oscar Charleston card for $40K?

Wasn’t that in the Net54 Forum’s B/S/T? :)

Michael Peich
05-14-2020, 06:53 AM
Hi, Al,

I think a book like the one you propose would be an invaluable aid for understanding Negro League and Cuban players and their baseball cards. I would suggest you compile a comprehensive volume including HOFers and non-HOF similar to the invaluable resource, The Photographic Baeball Cards of Goodwin & Company, compiled by Richard Masson, Jay Miller and Joe Gonsowski. By blending the players together you create an overarching totality of the players and their cards. And obviously, Cuban cards would be prominently featured in such a book.

At this point I would not be concerned with cost. Once a manuscript comes together you will have a much better sense of what it will cost to produce. And there are strategies you could use to cover some of the costs like subscriptions, for example.

One other thought is that you might wish to co-author it with one or two others who have knowledge similar to yours and who might provide relevant facts that would enrich the book.

As someone who has just now started to focus on Cuban cards, specifically Billiken, I welcome a book that would condense the rich history of Cuban and Negro League players and cards. I have had to move back and forth between Smoke, Garry, and a few others so I would welcome a condensed volume with everything I need for understanding the history, and having the checklists. And, as another consideration: Why not begin with a Cuban cards book, one that is more focused than Smoke with checklists and the critical apparatus you have suggested? Smoke has great photos and good information but I feel it could have provided more information.

Finally, coincidental with a book, create a website. Ryan Christoff's CubanBaseballCards.com is extremely helpful, but incomplete on some issues. You could flesh-out a collecting void with your own website.

I'll stop, but to echo the sentiments posted thus far, yours is a terrific proposal.

Warm regards,
Mike

36GoudeyMan
05-14-2020, 08:15 AM
Great idea. The only difficulty I could see is the scope of inclusion, as there were so many players who played in so many leagues, some pro, semi-pro, etc. Nevertheless, I would love to see a sort of visual checklist of these obscurities!!!