PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trimmed or Not?

samosa4u
05-08-2020, 11:10 AM
I hope all of you have been staying safe during this difficult time.

I want to play a game with all of you and I'm going to call this one TRIMMED OR NOT?

Everyday when you search for cards online, I'm pretty sure you'll come across one or two and think to yourself "hmmm ... the borders seem a little bit small ... is this one trimmed or not?" Maybe you saved a scan on your desktop or bookmarked it on your browser. Well, this is what this thread is for. POST IT HERE and let everyone else be the judge.

Note: if you're thinking of posting a scan of an EXPENSIVE card, then you might want to black out the serial number for legal reasons.

I'll be the first to start, and this one is going to be a HOCKEY CARD! Yep, that's right! This is the most popular prewar hockey card out there: the c55 Georges Vezina! So, look at the card on the LEFT and tell me what you think. Look at the left border, the right border and the bottom border as well. I've posted a card on the right for comparison purposes, and of course, you can search for others online as well to help you with your answer.

36GoudeyMan
05-08-2020, 11:18 AM
Its pretty obviously trimmed, but to what end? Is a 7 either way (assuming the grading is right, not sure it was really a 7 to start with). Choping up cards for no discernible improvement in perceived market value seems to be gratuitous mutilation.

n5gwu
05-08-2020, 11:54 AM
I don't think the card on the right is the same card as the one on the left. It's another 7 of the same number card. The card on the left looks like the left side and the bottom have been trimmed. That is probably how it came up to be a 7 from possibly a 5 or 6.

samosa4u
05-08-2020, 12:17 PM
I don't think the card on the right is the same card as the one on the left.

I never said it was.

Stampsfan
05-08-2020, 01:19 PM
I don’t think the card on the left is trimmed. I think the card on the right just has a smaller image.

:p

JK.

swarmee
05-08-2020, 03:02 PM
So one of the tells would be to look mostly at graded/raw commons from this issue, and determine the average width of this issue on cards unlikely to be trimmed. Once you figure out if the width difference is within 1 standard deviation, you can say it's got a better chance of not being trimmed. If the card on the left has a standard deviation of 2-5 sigma, it's very likely to be trimmed since it's so far outside the standard factory tolerance for the issue.

Steve D
05-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Question:

We all know T206s, T205s, T207s, etc... came in different sizes due to the cutting techniques at the time.

Couldn't the C55 set be the same, with some cards cut shorter/longer/wider/thinner than others, straight from the factory???

I'm just saying that just because it's narrower, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "trimmed".

Steve

irv
05-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Question:

We all know T206s, T205s, T207s, etc... came in different sizes due to the cutting techniques at the time.

Couldn't the C55 set be the same, with some cards cut shorter/longer/wider/thinner than others, straight from the factory???

I'm just saying that just because it's narrower, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "trimmed".

Steve

^^THIS^^

If we knew all cards from back then all came the exact same size then it would be easy to suggest the one on the left is trimmed, but without knowing that, it can only be a guess.

samosa4u
05-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Then why don't you guys look at some c55 cards online and then compare them to this PSA 7 Vezina? Are the borders supposed to be THAT small? :confused::confused:

And I'm surprised nobody has posted any images on this thread. You guys are so old and boring.

swarmee
05-10-2020, 09:47 AM
I thought this was a game.

irishdenny
05-11-2020, 06:23 PM
Can You Please Post scans of the Backs? (:
Different Factories !?

irishdenny
05-11-2020, 06:38 PM
Can You Please Post scans of the Backs? (:
Different Factories maybe!?