PDA

View Full Version : Letter from Baseball Card Society regarding 1949 Bond Bread

rdwyer
05-07-2020, 08:45 PM
I knew when I saw this that this deserved it's own new thread, as I'm sure they'll be alot of discussion going forward. Is this from the warehouse find? Were the cards BCS destributed real cards or reprints?

tedzan
05-07-2020, 09:45 PM
I knew when I saw this that this deserved it's own new thread, as I'm sure they'll be alot of discussion going forward. Is this from the warehouse find? Were the cards BCS destributed real cards or reprints?

Hi Richard

This document appears to be the evidence regarding the source of the RE-printed "1947 Bond Bread" cards which David Festberg discovered in a NJ warehouse in the 1980's.
It is not dated, however in it's text it implies a circa 1980's date, which does coincide with Festberg's find. Plus, the fact that 24 cards are being advertised. The original BOND
BREAD set of cards consists of 48 cards.

When I first saw these cards in the early 1990's at the Philly Show, I purchased several of them. When I got home, I compared them to my original 1947 BOND BREAD cards,
which I collected in my youth. And, it was very obvious, that these were inferior reproductions.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

trdcrdkid
05-07-2020, 10:13 PM
The P.S. says he just received the new Beckett Annual Price Guide (#10), which came out in 1988.

tim
05-07-2020, 11:07 PM
If I'm being generous, I'll say the above letter is "marketing." If I'm being honest, I'll say "scam." It's trying to impart value on the 24 square-bordered cards by equating them with the 48 round-bordered cards.
--Tim