PDA

View Full Version : SGC interview with Cardboard Chronicles

swarmee
05-06-2020, 05:18 PM
Great interview here: https://youtu.be/vtit4W91reo
Cross-posted from a Blowout member, since I figured you guys may find it interesting.

Sorry if you saw the "discount code" title; looks like it has already expired.

vthobby
05-06-2020, 10:16 PM
I just sent them an order today, 11 cards, nothing crazy but it seems my last 5 submissions were to SGC. They rarely miss "turnaround time" deadlines!

Peace, Mike

toledo_mudhen
05-07-2020, 04:54 AM
Good Interview - haven't seen much from them in public for a while. However, the obvious questions regarding new registry,pop reports & SGC slab lookup were not asked.

I sent an email to Pete regarding this and also invited him to join us on the boards which I think would lend more credibility to SGC's claimed commitment to its customers.

We'll see what happens.

swarmee
05-07-2020, 05:04 AM
Yeah, this guy is the same guy who lobbed softballs at Brent which kind of led to his comeuppance when he started going off the deep end with all the restoration talk.
I listened to the whole thing, and he seems like a very passionate cheerleader. I noted the time 20 minutes, 28 minutes, and 38 minutes as useful discussion starting points. I enjoyed the part about how he scours cards with a loupe and that some graders will waffle over awarding grades to $8 cards. He also kind of surprised me by mentioning that because of the difference in their rubric vs. Beckett's, many BVG 9s will move up to 9.5s in SGC slabs on crossover attempts. And he confirmed that it's very hard to get a look at an edge (for trimming or otherwise) in cards that are already slabbed. So your odds still aren't great because they have to be sure the card will meet the grade before they crack it out of a competitor's holder. The other piece about the heavy inspection machinery was pretty interesting; they can take super high res shots in various color tints to try and identify alterations or surface wear, and the monitor is so large in the grading room that all other graders take a look when one's up for analysis. And he'd love to show off the grading room, but hey, you know.
Has a little false bravado IMO when he talks about the origin of SGC and how the company will have no problem ramping up processing even if their submissions grow to tenfold what they were at the beginning of the year.

I'd like to see him on a second time with the interviewer digging a little deeper. Biggest takeaway is that it takes about 4 trimmed cards on 1993 SP Derek Jeters before they warn the consignor. (Not even suspend or deny, just discuss it.) No mention that they've ever banned a consignor. Barely pays attention to the scandal threads because he's too busy with all the submissions coming in.