PDA

View Full Version : OJ Team Name Variations

chlankf
05-05-2020, 02:19 PM
I've been taking with another member about Sioux City cars with the name spelled with and without an "S", (City/City's). I know that the Standard Catalog circa '92 had a breakdown distinguishing them with an "a" or "b". I have not seen any other listing that discuss them.

Looking through my cards I have several of each spelling. I have always been under the impression that each of the players/poses have a City and a Citys.

I know that other teams have similar variations but am curious if anyone has put together a list. Hint hint.. Jay and Joe I would love for you to chime in.

Thanks Craig

Joe_G.
05-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Hey Craig, you are hitting on a minor variation that hasn't been catalogued as thoroughly as more significant changes. None-the-less it could be interesting to a Sioux City / Iowa collector. Using Weber as an example, all five poses are known with "s", only three are catalogued without the "s" but suspect you are correct that all poses can be found both ways. Let me know if you find poses 3 & 4 without the "s".

482-1 Bat at ready, looking at camera
a. Weber, P., Sioux City (Fc)
b. Weber, P., Sioux Citys (Fc)
482-2 Strike, looking down at ball
482-3 Pitch, hands at chest
a. Weber, P., Sioux Citys (Fc)
482-4 Pitch, hands out waist high
a. Weber, P., Sioux Citys (Fc)
482-5 Pitch, R/hand chin high

sreader3
05-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Hi Joe,
Can you provide a similar breakdown for Denver / Denvers? Thanks in advance!
Scot

Joe_G.
05-05-2020, 09:18 PM
Hi Joe,
Can you provide a similar breakdown for Denver / Denvers? Thanks in advance!
Scot

The Denver players seems to be near 50/50 split on "Denver" vs "Denvers" but typically pick one or the other for a given player. For example, Hoffman is all "Denver" while Klusman is all "Denvers". There are several poses that are known in both script and block text that cover one version with "s" and other without, also some that match.