PDA

View Full Version : T210 and T212

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-05-2020, 08:44 AM
Does anyone collect either of these much any longer? I occasionally have seen a thread here or there about one or the other. I used to have about 60 T212-2s and about 10 T210s and honestly wish I still did. Lately, I've had some thoughts about starting back up with one set or the other. Is there still a market/supply?

scooter729
05-05-2020, 08:57 AM
The limit of big names (Joe Jackson and Stengel aside in T210, and maybe Buck Weaver from T212) really limits the collectors going after these sets, in my opinion. Certainly are some who pursue them, but much less because of the lack of major league names.

With that said, what's a thread without a scan or two....

realbigfatdog
05-05-2020, 09:59 AM
The artwork on these is superb. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200505/85066d61462ab6546f736a4d5f16af0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vintagecatcher
05-05-2020, 10:26 AM
I still collect catchers in both sets!

Patrick

timn1
05-05-2020, 10:39 AM
I've collected the three Obak sets enthusiastically for about fifteen years and I'm complete except for two 1909 players (and some variations). I think they are among the most beautiful sets of all, and I don't mind the lack of stars (in fact, I prefer it that way since there aren't any megabuck cards to deal with (unlike T210s).

I think the market for T212s is very stable - Just the opposite of the trendier issues that tend to blow hot and cold. I would call them great collector sets (as opposed to investor sets). If you start collecting them you'll find a nice core of folks and a decent supply of cards on the market at non-crazy prices.

Tim

Does anyone collect either of these much any longer? I occasionally have seen a thread here or there about one or the other. I used to have about 60 T212-2s and about 10 T210s and honestly wish I still did. Lately, I've had some thoughts about starting back up with one set or the other. Is there still a market/supply?

VoodooChild
05-05-2020, 11:45 AM
Yes, I collect T212's but haven't picked one up in a while. I finished my T212-2 back run a couple years ago and still pickup PCL HOFers and stars that are included in the sets. Here's my back run and few of my favs. Sorry for the bad picks, haven't gotten around to scan all of them yet.

DixieBaseball
05-05-2020, 12:09 PM
The T210 sets are mostly collected by Advanced collectors. Very collectible, also challenging, and most are scarce and some rare. I have collected them for 20 years or so... I have known folks to collect them by Team or by city or by 1 of the 8 series. You can go several directions with the set. What I love most about the T210's is the obscure history that is out there on these players. Fun to research...several played big league ball as well. A cool set that is not mainstream, but very collectible.

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-05-2020, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. If anything, I feel worse than I already did for selling off what I had previously collected....LOL! That isn't really typical of me as a collector.

You guys may or may not understand my logic (not sure I do even), but since I live in the South I decided to sell off the Obaks a few years ago to pursue more Southern-oriented issues, like the T210s. I feel like this time around, I need to choose one or the other. Honestly not sure which at this point. If I went with the Obaks, I would do series 2 again. If T210s, I would probably start with series 3. Aesthetically, I prefer the Obaks by a bit, but the draw of the regional southern T210s is strong as well.

Good stuff, guys! I really appreciate your scans. They remind me of the ones I had.

DixieBaseball
05-05-2020, 12:32 PM
Series 3 is an awesome series, and you can collect all of them. Also has the 20 orange borders in there as well and prices have come down to more reasonable levels as well.

Thanks for the replies thus far. If anything, I feel worse than I already did for selling off what I had previously collected....LOL! That isn't really typical of me as a collector.

You guys may or may not understand my logic (not sure I do even), but since I live in the South I decided to sell off the Obaks a few years ago to pursue more Southern-oriented issues, like the T210s. I feel like this time around, I need to choose one or the other. Honestly not sure which at this point. If I went with the Obaks, I would do series 2 again. If T210s, I would probably start with series 3. Aesthetically, I prefer the Obaks by a bit, but the draw of the regional southern T210s is strong as well.

Good stuff, guys! I really appreciate your scans. They remind me of the ones I had.

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Series 3 is an awesome series, and you can collect all of them. Also has the 20 orange borders in there as well and prices have come down to more reasonable levels as well.

Yes, I have never owned one of the OBs, but that is a draw for me.

Jason
05-05-2020, 01:06 PM
T210 is a terrific set and a lot of fun to chase. I would say right now new to market cards are few and far between. But prices have depressed as mentioned so now is a great time to pick up a few examples. Next year I will have been working on the set for a decade. I anticipate it taking a couple more!

bocca001
05-05-2020, 04:54 PM
I collect them both and have founds ways to focus within each.

For T210, I collect Houston and Galveston. Although series 3 cards are relatively common, the orange border cards and the red border cards of the guys who also have orange borders are pretty tough. I've been looking for the same few cards (e.g., Burch from Houston) for a few years.

For T212, I collect players connected to the San Jose/Santa Clara area of California. Attached are a few of my favorite 1909s.

Steve D
05-05-2020, 05:42 PM
I'm currently looking for T212 Vernon Tigers, along with the only T212 Los Angeles Angel I don't already have; the 1909 Howard without the frame on the back.

Unfortunately, the supply seems to have completely dried up, at least on ebay, except for the usual sellers with overpriced BINs.

I'm also on the lookout for T210 San Antonio Bronchos, but except for an occasional orange-border, I've only ever seen one, an Alexander I found on ebay in 2010, from a seller in either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick.

Steve

timn1
05-07-2020, 08:18 PM
I totally get the Southern fascination, as a proud (sometimes, anyway ) North Carolinian. I can’t imagine thinking the Old mills are aesthetically superior, but it’s definitely fun to collect stuff that’s from your own area.

The good thing is that whatever you decide now, it doesn’t have to be the last thing you collect.

Tim

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-07-2020, 08:46 PM
I totally get the Southern fascination, as a proud (sometimes, anyway ) North Carolinian. I can’t imagine thinking the Old mills are aesthetically superior, but it’s definitely fun to collect stuff that’s from your own area.

The good thing is that whatever you decide now, it doesn’t have to be the last thing you collect.

TimThanks, Tim. Arkansas here. Hence the potential focus on T210-3. Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma are about as close to home as I am going to get. If I ever managed to focus long enough to complete that, I am not certain which series I would tackle next.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk