PDA

View Full Version : PCL guys. asking your help on this Oaks? RPPC

edjs
05-04-2020, 10:25 AM
Hey all. I was looking at this postcard on ebay, looked like an normal, small town postcard of some unknown town team. Then I noticed one of the guys looked like he was wearing a Oakland Oaks jersey. Anyway, I bought it, and have been thinking about it since. It looks like most of the guys are wearing jerseys that say C O O S, which I am starting to think would be Coos Bay, Oregon, one guy has a jersey that looks like it says V B C, and one guy says Rochester. Any thoughts on my thinking? Anyone recognize the players? Thanks in advance.

edjs
05-04-2020, 02:10 PM
So, if anyone is interested, here are some possible matches I found looking today. Al Cook, Clare Patterson, Rod Murphy, and Tex Pruiett. Just guessing here, and looking for input.

brianp-beme
05-04-2020, 02:34 PM
So, if anyone is interested, here are some possible matches I found looking today. Al Cook, Clare Patterson, Rod Murphy, and Tex Pruiett. Just guessing here, and looking for input.

Those look pretty good, but the Clare Patterson photo match has a unibrow, whereas the man in the postcard has a duobrow. And that matching photo of Clare is pretty creepy. It looks like it is from a funeral procession. Evidently he died before the season in 1913 at age 25.

Brian

edjs
05-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Those look pretty good, but the Clare Patterson photo match has a unibrow, whereas the man in the postcard has a duobrow. And that matching photo of Clare is pretty creepy. It looks like it is from a funeral procession. Evidently he died before the season in 1913 at age 25.

Brian

Brian, you’re right about Patterson, the photo was the last one before he died. I didn’t think about the date he died, 1913, which would make it impossible to be him, since the Oaks uniform I think was 1912-14. This pc really bugs, like why would one guy wear his Oaks jersey in a pickup game? That’s why I’m asking, it’s the pants and shoes that bug me.

Vintagecatcher
05-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Hi Ed,

I have seen other post cards with players wearing multiple uniforms from teams from different leagues. There were quite a few players that played in the PCL as well as the Virginia League, Texas League etc. Many times players wore the uniforms from the last team they played for when they try out for a new team.

Your new postcard is different because they are wearing just there uniform tops. Makes me think that perhaps this is for a reunion of sorts. Perhaps a retirement for a baseball coach or manager.

Patrick

Vintagecatcher
05-05-2020, 06:50 AM
Ed,

I agree that the Oakland Oaks player looks like Ralph Kreitz.

Patrick

edjs
05-05-2020, 07:33 AM
Ed,

I agree that the Oakland Oaks player looks like Ralph Kreitz.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. Here is the photo we were talking about. Using your theory of a reunion or something along those lines, Kreitz makes sense. It would put this postcard to 1913, which is when Kreitz was leaving to go play for Venice. I could see a couple buddies deciding to make a trip up to Coos Bay, maybe some connection there, but even if not, it is a pretty place. Then getting together with some of the local ball players, who knows? Anyway, it is a pretty fun postcard, gave me something to do while locked up all day playing teacher to my son.