PDA

View Full Version : Possible eBay Fraud?

KaiserCurt
04-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Seller has no feedback, this is his only item. If a unsuspecting person were to buy this card, they’d probably be out 25 large. Isn’t this a crime that could be reported? I already reported the listing. Not sure if a post has already been made but just to be sure…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T206-Honus-Wagner-Baseball-Card-Sweet-Caporal-Cigarettes/133394477669?hash=item1f0eee3265:g:gksAAOSwHk9eouR y

Thanks,
Curt

Section103
04-30-2020, 07:23 PM
$25,000 card. $3.95 in shipping.

Thats just funny.

toledo_mudhen
05-01-2020, 02:47 AM
But his grandpa was a "very serious card collector" :eek:

hcv123
05-01-2020, 08:43 AM
I think it's great to out these idiots and make fun of them here - at the same time as doing our part and reporting them to Ebay.

Santo10Fan
05-01-2020, 12:34 PM
It's clear to see he definitely put in work on this reprint. There are attempts to reproduce paper loss and tobacco stains, along with the cut corners as if the card was once part of an old-timey paper album book. The perfect centering is the most obvious red flag and indicates this person has zero experience with real T206s.

Still, in the end any buyer would have big hurdles to proving a criminal fraud. We all know which way the wind blows, but can you prove that the person really didn't know it was a reprint? The description was very carefully crafted to avoid just that.

KaiserCurt
05-01-2020, 03:18 PM
I mean, this is a pretty big deal. There’s an actual chance a novice or else could buy this and be duped out of a small fortune!

phikappapsi
05-01-2020, 03:26 PM
I mean, this is a pretty big deal. There’s an actual chance a novice or else could buy this and be duped out of a small fortune!

if there's anyone out there dumb enough to spend $25K on a card without knowing enough about it recognize authenticity - and from a seller with ZERO feedback; well then - "a fool and his money" holds firm here.

Rascal1010
05-01-2020, 03:52 PM
+1

Gorditadogg
05-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Haha he says it's not worth the bother to get the card graded.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

drcy
05-01-2020, 11:51 PM
if there's anyone out there dumb enough to spend $25K on a card without knowing enough about it recognize authenticity - and from a seller with ZERO feedback; well then - "a fool and his money" holds firm here.

This is true. However, a crime against a dumb person is just as much a crime as a crime against a smart person.

KaiserCurt
05-02-2020, 01:35 AM
This is true. However, a crime against a dumb person is just as much a crime as a crime against a smart person.

My thoughts exactly

Yastrzemski Sports
05-02-2020, 03:41 AM

I always had the thought that if you were getting something worth a small fortune for a fraction of the actual value then you are just as guilty. Im sure if it turned out to be real that the buyer isn’t going to sell it and split it with this guy.

cardsagain74
05-02-2020, 09:22 AM
I always had the thought that if you were getting something worth a small fortune for a fraction of the actual value then you are just as guilty. Im sure if it turned out to be real that the buyer isn’t going to sell it and split it with this guy.

So by that logic: someone who makes a garage sale "find" worth $15,000, tells the seller "these are worth a lot more than that", but still pays $500 for it when the seller insists "that's all I want for these"......that person is just as "guilty" as someone who purposely solicits and then deceives people out of large sums of money?

The same thing happens in card shops occasionally, as I imagine you know as well as anyone. If someone insists you buy their collection for a fraction of what it's worth, even after you've told them the value...if you do, you're just as guilty as a scammer committing a felony? As a customer would be who finds 10 cards still in your $1 box that have gone up to $50 each, and buys them?

I'm glad you don't make any laws

Case12
05-03-2020, 12:22 PM
Too much gray area...if a 10 year old wants to sell me a Ken grieffy jr rookie for a buck at a garage sale, I might feel bad. If old grandma is getting rid of her dead husbands cards at a garage sale for a buck each, I might not feel so bad. Everybody wants to find the Ruth in a shoe box for a buck. Right? Heck I might even be a D**k and offer her .25 cents....

cubman1941
05-03-2020, 03:18 PM
If memory serves me right, and it doesn't always, this card has been listed before or at least a similar situation as I remember the comments about his grandpa having it.