PDA

View Full Version : What the F#ckstein?

Phil68
04-30-2020, 03:50 PM
Guys, I am a proud artist. I love making Banty Red baseball cards. My Mickey Mantle cards always sell for anywhere from 150-300 bucks. I make a few bucks on some cards and lose a few on others but...what's happening right nowin Probsteins auctiuon is absolutely NUTS!!!

There are 4 different bidders over 500 bucks on 6 cards--all going for over 1,000.00. How does Probstein get these bids? At first I thought "they must think it's from 1952???" But, frankly, that's impossible. I've never had a single bidder in over 6000 auctions make a mistake. I'm astonished. How does he do it???
He has 5 different Mantle's up and they're all going for over a grand! 4 of them are over $1,700.00
WOWZERS!
I tried to post a link, but it didn't work. If someone can find the links, it would help. Check Probstein or Banty Red Mantle on eBay...THANK YOU!!!

RCMcKenzie
04-30-2020, 04:13 PM
I was looking through some past sales. I like that Greenberg Geo C Miller. That's neat.

I guess you should consign your cards. I wonder what he would get for your Willie Mays that's currently at $17. Good news for you, congrats. Rob

RCMcKenzie
04-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Here's a link. I may bid on the Mays and send it to Probstein...

www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=banty+red&_sacat=0&_sop=16

Phil68
04-30-2020, 04:41 PM
I was looking through some past sales. I like that Greenberg Geo C Miller. That's neat.

I guess you should consign your cards. I wonder what he would get for your Willie Mays that's currently at $17. Good news for you, congrats. Rob

Rob,
The thing is...he's getting nearly 2 grand for 5 different cards? That's kinda crazy, no? Can consigning them REALLY add that much? I've never had a card on eBay go above 500 bucks...
I just sold the Mantle "Homerun Derby" card a month ago for 60 bucks...it's at 1700.00 just a month later? that's nearly 30x higher. I'm mystified. Frustrated and obviously angry (not at anyone--but the situation).
I guess it is what it is. Thank you for your interest and response.
If you can post the auction links to the Probstein Mantles or show me how, I'd be much obliged.
Phil

Phil68
04-30-2020, 04:42 PM
I see the link! Thank you!!!

RCMcKenzie
04-30-2020, 04:49 PM
I think it would be like a painter selling through Doyle Auctions, as opposed to selling through his or her own website. It adds a level of gravitas.

Republicaninmass
04-30-2020, 04:51 PM
Did you really need 3 threads to show off the prices of your card, and another to showcase them on the front page?

Just curious.

Phil68
04-30-2020, 05:20 PM
Did you really need 3 threads to show off the prices of your card, and another to showcase them on the front page?

Just curious.

Don't be an asshole. I didn't need three threads. I didn't know how to post a link--so I fixed it. I'm not chatboard savvy at akll. Everyone's an opportunist to guys like you. I'm pissed about the prices knucklehead. You always think the worst. You are a tool.

Phil68
04-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Why would I want to brag on prices I'M NOT GETTING? I sold that Mantle a month ago for 65.00...it's selling for 30x that today???
That's the point. Why not offer an insight or two? All I ever do here is tell people how great their cards are share some artwork. I have never sold a card on here. You tool.

Republicaninmass
04-30-2020, 05:24 PM
You wish you got those prices. You "make money on some and lose on others" per you.

Keep pumping what a great deal there are so we can buy them and consign to probstein. 3 threads in one hour

Stay classy, still the same Phil from the PSA boards I see.

Pathetic amd transparent

Buy an Ad from Leonhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200430/418c07887d631c2707ca01cfd4ac4752.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pherbener
04-30-2020, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised Probstein put them up with the fake PSA slabs.

Phil68
04-30-2020, 05:35 PM
You wish you got those prices. You "make money on some and lose on others" per you.

Keep pumping what a great deal there are so we can buy them and consign to probstein. 3 threads in one hour

Stay classy, still the same Phil from the PSA boards I see.

Pathetic amd transparent

Buy an Ad from Leonhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200430/418c07887d631c2707ca01cfd4ac4752.jpg

Yep. Call a spade a spade, I do. Always have--always will. You're a tool...at least TODAY when you posted that you were. If you are typically not a tool, I apologize, but I have precious little contrary evidence. Negativity breeds more negativity. All I do here is tell people how nice their cards are and share cards. That's it.
Classy? You attacked for no reason or provocation, whatsoever. If you were really interested, you could've helped with the link. First word out of you toward me was, in a nicer way than I said it to you "You're an asshole"
The difference is, I come right out and say it. Same "transparent" meaning.

Republicaninmass
04-30-2020, 05:36 PM
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"*

Phil68
04-30-2020, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised Probstein put them up with the fake PSA slabs.

Those are the green custom slabs. Not fake at all. The cards do look sharp in them, I'll give em that.
Maybe that's the big difference maker (along with his audience). Ironically, the "other" poster gave me a solid idea...maybe. Should I consign with Rick???:confused: His service has always been solid for me on eBay.
Big Stein smells a MERGER!!!

Phil68
04-30-2020, 05:42 PM
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"*

Your lady didn't protest. We had fun.

Republicaninmass
04-30-2020, 05:45 PM
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

I wont be responding or posting your little political "pot shot " you made via PM.

-------end of thread ‐-‐----

todeen
04-30-2020, 05:48 PM
Those are the green custom slabs. Not fake at all. The cards do look sharp in them, I'll give em that.
Maybe that's the big difference maker (along with his audience). Ironically, the "other" poster gave me a solid idea...maybe. Should I consign with Rick???:confused: His service has always been solid for me on eBay.
Big Stein smells a MERGER!!!Congrats on the success man. Why not consign? You aren't selling out to the man by doing it. People like your art and are willing to pay premiums through a large dealer. There's nothing wrong with finding a niche and capitalizing on it.

Good luck in your decision making process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

cubman1941
04-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Phil,
Just don't consign my Cubs with him or I won't be able to get any more!!

Big Stein smells a MERGER!!!

KaiserCurt
04-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Oooooooohhh snap!

BabyRuth
05-01-2020, 04:20 AM
This reminds me of BigBeerGut postings..........

Fuddjcal
05-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Don't be an asshole. I didn't need three threads. I didn't know how to post a link--so I fixed it. I'm not chatboard savvy at akll. Everyone's an opportunist to guys like you. I'm pissed about the prices knucklehead. You always think the worst. You are a tool.

You are:) correct sir!!!!!!!!!!!No need to get your boxers in a flutter.

RCMcKenzie
05-01-2020, 09:34 AM
Did y'all see where these ended? 2 of the Mantle's went for over $7800. Does Sir Raffles rake in that kind of dough? Congrats, Phil. I don't think anyone can call these broders now...Rob

JayZim13
05-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Am I missing something? These are modern day cards. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But, they should not have any "real" value

midmo
05-01-2020, 10:07 AM
In my opinion those listings were terrible. They just call them 1952 cards and make no mention that they're "art cards" or "fake cards". The custom psa slabs are misleading as well. I'm guessing there's some wealthy noobs getting taken (or the two morons in the bidding war won't actually pay for them). Without those bidders these two $7800 cards could have sold for $73 and $122.50. I don't believe anyone would actually pay that much for these if they know what they are.

RCMcKenzie
05-01-2020, 10:16 AM
Contemporary artists can make a lot of money. See Jeff Koons.

KaiserCurt
05-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Maybe it’s a hype situation like we see in Modern Art like Banksy and folks getting millions for a painting made last week…

Eric72
05-01-2020, 12:43 PM
Those cards, while attractive, have final “sold” prices that are absolutely incredible. I can’t imagine that amount of money has actually changed hands for these.

dstudeba
05-01-2020, 12:54 PM
I don't think anyone can call these broders now...Rob

So the player images and the team logos are licensed?

samosa4u
05-01-2020, 01:00 PM
I like how you wrote F#ckstein. Haha

RCMcKenzie
05-01-2020, 01:00 PM
Dan, I don't own any of these cards. I don't have to defend the product. I don't see any difference from Warhol using the Monroe images for pop-art. If new Topps cards can sell for hundreds of thousands, why not 7800 for these? If I'm supposed to feel sorrow for a great-nephew of a deceased player, who wants a cut from Banty Red, well, I suppose I could be hammered for that. Rob

dstudeba
05-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Not attacking you, I just thought that the definition of a Broder was that it was unlicensed.

RCMcKenzie
05-01-2020, 01:23 PM
That's fair, Dan. I probably had too much coffee this morning. I need to go for a walk. I really don't have any business commenting so much in this thread. Cheers, Rob

2dueces
05-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Is there a prewar card or discussion anywhere in this thread?

brianp-beme
05-01-2020, 05:13 PM
Thought I would help out...discuss all the names on this vintage card. Do any of the players inked on there look like Heilmann?

Brian

Aquarian Sports Cards
05-01-2020, 05:33 PM
Not accusing anyone but this would be a clever way to pump up your own market. Create a card, consign it to Probstein, pump the crap out of it, raise the prices on your originals because people think they can just flip them to Probstein.

RCMcKenzie
05-01-2020, 05:44 PM
Thought I would help out...discuss all the names on this vintage card. Do any of the players inked on there look like Heilmann?

Brian
Brian, Puccinelli and Medwick were on the 1932 Cardinals. I don't know how the other names fit in. Maybe it was some sort of want-list.

Shoeless Moe
05-01-2020, 05:45 PM
same 2 bidders on all 5-6 of those auctions

Leon
05-02-2020, 08:03 AM
same 2 bidders on all 5-6 of those auctions

Competition LOL......
Nice cards but not worth thousands of dollars. At least not in the long run.

CurtisFlood
05-02-2020, 09:49 PM
This looks like a post from a parallel universe. Entertaining at least.

JustinD
05-03-2020, 06:56 AM
In my opinion those listings were terrible. They just call them 1952 cards and make no mention that they're "art cards" or "fake cards". The custom psa slabs are misleading as well. I'm guessing there's some wealthy noobs getting taken (or the two morons in the bidding war won't actually pay for them). Without those bidders these two $7800 cards could have sold for $73 and $122.50. I don't believe anyone would actually pay that much for these if they know what they are.

This.

More cases of clueless money hiding that will continue up to the election. These will be coming back, if they get paid for. Stay tuned for the sequel.

This is always my issue with undated “art cards”. I do appreciate that Banty Red at least does not masquerade under the guise of using a real vintage brand to assist in fleecing newbies. That one really drives me.

Leon
05-04-2020, 08:04 AM

Suspended on this one....email me in a week of you want back. Family members are always off limits UNLESS they are in the hobby and doing things.....Then I think they could be commented on somewhat politely.