PDA

View Full Version : Heritage t206 Cobb

trobba
04-18-2020, 06:05 AM
PSA 3 bat on with Old Mill back...

$78,000

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-pre-1930-/1909-11-t206-old-mill-ty-cobb-bat-on-shoulder-psa-vg-3-the-finest-of-only-four-graded-examples-/a/50027-50059.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Amazing...

MVSNYC
04-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Yep. Some fantastical prices on T206 rare backs last night.

RCMcKenzie
04-18-2020, 09:04 AM
There are a lot of Cobb collectors for sure. That card led the whole way, and I was also a little surprised. Rare Old Mill's usually don't beat out BL 460's.

I was bargain hunting and picked up this Chance port. I was very surprised at the hammer price on the Sam Crawford Cycle 460, the Brand's top-seller.

I had Evers Broadleaf 350 on my bidder card. Great card for that price I thought...Rob

CMIZ5290
04-18-2020, 04:10 PM
PSA 3 bat on with Old Mill back...

$78,000

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-cards/singles-pre-1930-/1909-11-t206-old-mill-ty-cobb-bat-on-shoulder-psa-vg-3-the-finest-of-only-four-graded-examples-/a/50027-50059.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Inventory-BuyNowFromOwner-ThisAuction-120115

Amazing...
This one is absolutely beyond belief, I mean beyond belief!!...This card is not even a 1 of 1, There are at least 4 with this back!!....

Blunder19
04-18-2020, 04:52 PM
This one is absolutely beyond belief, I mean beyond belief!!.... With David out of the mix, I don't get this price at all, crazy....This card is not even a 1 of 1, what am I missing?? There are at least 4 with this back!!.....There is absolutely no reasoning to this price at all, none...

were you the under bidder? lol

CMIZ5290
04-18-2020, 05:05 PM
were you the under bidder? lol

I simply don't believe it, period....Something's weird....

Bridwell
04-19-2020, 09:59 AM
Apparently, some rich collectors are "investing" in rare back T206's. Maybe they like it better than gambling on the stock market or real estate. I wish I could have acquired a few more cards, but it certainly adds value to the rarer cards we already have!

For me, it doesn't surprise me that T206 cards with populations of less than 5 are finally getting their due as rare high-value collectibles. The extreme overbidding on a few of the non-rare cards could be an indication that these collectors are less educated on the scarcity and got carried away during the auction. Or maybe 2 collectors used the strategy of putting in extremely high "ceiling bids" to make sure they won the items they wanted.

HA has customers that collect antiques, art, jewelry, and all sorts of other stuff. Some of that stuff has had declining values. I think that some of those customers are now jumping in on old baseball cards at this time.

RCMcKenzie
04-19-2020, 10:29 AM
I was expecting everyone, or at least a few net54er's, to post their wins on here. I would think most of the winners are on here. I can't imagine that someone who collects antique watches would know what to bid on a Jennings AB350 NF. I don't mind overpaying when I know that I'm overpaying. I think that's what happened on some of the cards. I saw some bargains, along with some high prices...Rob

Santo10Fan
04-19-2020, 12:11 PM
I was expecting everyone, or at least a few net54er's, to post their wins on here. I would think most of the winners are on here. I can't imagine that someone who collects antique watches would know what to bid on a Jennings AB350 NF. I don't mind overpaying when I know that I'm overpaying. I think that's what happened on some of the cards. I saw some bargains, along with some high prices...Rob Start a separate thread with your Chance and I'll post my winning lot...

RCMcKenzie
04-19-2020, 12:25 PM
Start a separate thread with your Chance and I'll post my winning lot...

I didn't mean to go off-topic in Rob's thread. I do go off-topic a lot with stream-of-consciousness posts. You could post in the pick-ups thread. Maybe some people want to wait to receive their cards before posting, and others like to keep it to themselves, which is fine too.

Santo10Fan
04-19-2020, 12:33 PM
I didn't mean to go off-topic in Rob's thread. I do go off-topic a lot with stream-of-consciousness posts. You could post in the pick-ups thread. Maybe some people want to wait to receive their cards before posting, and others like to keep it to themselves, which is fine too. Your post wasn't that far off the topic. I may indeed post in the April thread but I guess technically it isn't a "pickup" yet.

Regarding the OM Cobb, I did watch that one late into the night during the extended session. It's good to know people are spending like that into the hobby right now.

CMIZ5290
04-19-2020, 05:10 PM
Just to put this in much better perspective..... A few years ago during the really strong days of T206 backs and David Hall, a PSA 6.5 Cobb with an UZIT back sold for $100K, an UZIT BACK!.... Now, a PSA 3 with an Old Mill back and multiple pops, and no David Hall competition, sells for $80k?? Come on, really??

swarmee
04-19-2020, 06:11 PM
no David Hall competition, sells for $80k?? Come on, really??
Any proof? Remember, Heritage can place bids on the consignors behalf according to their TOS.

2dueces
04-19-2020, 07:01 PM
Apparently, some rich collectors are "investing" in rare back T206's. Maybe they like it better than gambling on the stock market or real estate. I wish I could have acquired a few more cards, but it certainly adds value to the rarer cards we already have!

For me, it doesn't surprise me that T206 cards with populations of less than 5 are finally getting their due as rare high-value collectibles. The extreme overbidding on a few of the non-rare cards could be an indication that these collectors are less educated on the scarcity and got carried away during the auction. Or maybe 2 collectors used the strategy of putting in extremely high "ceiling bids" to make sure they won the items they wanted.

HA has customers that collect antiques, art, jewelry, and all sorts of other stuff. Some of that stuff has had declining values. I think that some of those customers are now jumping in on old baseball cards at this time.

Haven’t rich collector always collected rare anything? Cards, coins, paintings, cars etc.

Leon
04-20-2020, 12:39 PM
If you are implying it might not have been a real sale I would respectfully disagree. I thought the number was huge but I would bet it's as real as the Corona-with-a-lime virus.

Huge number for that Cobby in a 3. Congrats to the winner. I am guessing it won't be soon flipped.

Just to put this in much better perspective..... A few years ago during the really strong days of T206 backs and David Hall, a PSA 6.5 Cobb with an UZIT back sold for $100K, an UZIT BACK!.... Now, a PSA 3 with an Old Mill back and multiple pops, and no David Hall competition, sells for $80k?? Come on, really??

Rhotchkiss
04-20-2020, 01:34 PM
It was a real sale -- I know who the under-bidder is, and I am pretty sure I know the winner, and neither are affiliated with Heritage (except as customers).

I am pretty sure there is a new David Hall on the scene... and David did not always make (what appeared in the moment) rational purchases. Although -- for you Kevin -- he laughing all the way to the bank now.

t206kid
04-20-2020, 04:29 PM
This Old Mill is a monster combo. Cobb Uzit is big because it’s uzit. But isn’t an especially difficult combo. We’re talking pop 3 vs pop 14 (ish)

Sale is real.

CMIZ5290
04-21-2020, 04:15 PM
It was a real sale -- I know who the under-bidder is, and I am pretty sure I know the winner, and neither are affiliated with Heritage (except as customers).

I am pretty sure there is a new David Hall on the scene... and David did not always make (what appeared in the moment) rational purchases. Although -- for you Kevin -- he laughing all the way to the bank now.

delete