PDA

View Full Version : Negro League Team/Player Identifications - Part 2

bcbgcbrcb
04-16-2020, 06:55 AM
As I received some excellent feedback on the previous three Negro/Cuban League items posted last week, here are three remaining items that we have been unable to positively identify from the Richard Merkin Collection, one is a team image on a real photo postcard and the other two are original photos.

The postcard contains a photographer's imprint in the upper right-hand corner "J. L. Quintana _bara, Cuba". Printed in the image in the lower right-hand corner is "Central _ Luci, Oriente, Cuba". Handwritten date "1918" appears in the upper right-hand corner. The stamp box on back dates the postcard to 1908-24. Anyone have any ideas as far as team or recognize any Cuban players?

Second, we have this two player photo identified on the back as being from the 1928 Habana team with Jose M. Fernandez, which appears to be correct and Oscar Charleston, which I do not believe is correct. Does anyone recognize the second player pictured?

Lastly, we have a very small snapshot photo of all black gentlemen dressed in suits, I am hoping that when I post here, the image will enlarge enough to enable some facial recognitions. Photographer's stamp on back indicates Vera Cruz (Mexico) and this item was found in a sleeve with a few other Vera Cruz baseball items from the 1937 era so we believe these are ballplayers and not just a group of guys posing for a photo. Any ideas on these guys?

Once again, any assistance that can be provided would be most appreciated.

Jason19th
04-16-2020, 07:53 AM
The second player in the Jose Maria pic is not Oscar. I wonder if that is actual
A photo of a very young 14-14 year old Rodolfo Fernandez- Jose’s Half brother

Jason19th
04-16-2020, 07:59 AM
For the small snap this is a flyer because the image is still so small but from the right starting with the 4th player in - Pedro Formental, cocania Garcia, Silvio Garcia- going off time frame general face type and height