PDA

View Full Version : Uncatalogued Old Judge list?

prewinter
04-12-2020, 04:02 PM
I've been searching on the web for 'new' Old Judge cards (as in not in the OJ Bible). I've found listings for a few, but I was wondering if there was an actual list compiled somewhere of new finds from the past ten years?

In a related question, I came across a post from Joe G. from 2009 about the “Vermont Find” negatives, and towards the bottom was a list of negatives including five for Tug Wilson (405.5). I don't see an entry for Tug Wilson in the book. Are their known n172s for Tug Wilson?

Jobu
04-12-2020, 06:21 PM
I don't have an answer but I would love to see such a list - and scans to go with it would be even better. :)

trdcrdkid
04-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Jay Miller has a copy of the OJ book annotated with new poses discovered since the book’s publication, but I don’t know of any public list.

RCMcKenzie
04-12-2020, 07:21 PM
I was looking for a topic on n172 photo wear rates the other day and stumbled upon Joe's Vermont Find thread. It's remarkable how much he knows about n172 cards.

A member posted about 6 weeks ago about a new Maroons player. The player was on the original checklist card, but had not been cataloged. I think Dean's Cards has it for sale...Rob

oldjudge
04-12-2020, 07:33 PM
There are three cards of Tug Wilson, but he is misidentified on the cards as Joe Miller. Joe G. and I did an article about this several years ago. Check Old Cardboard.
As David said, I have annotated my book to refllect all changes since the book was published in 2008. However, there is no place where these changes are detailed. If we ever do an update they will be included there.

Joe_G.
04-12-2020, 07:44 PM
As Jay alluded to, Tug Wilson was written about in the Fall 2011 edition of Old Cardboard HERE (http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/BBC-index/articleSummaryDetail.asp?id=1268). In essence, poses 324-1, -5, & -6 were not Joseph Miller but in fact Tug Wilson.

The biggest discovery since the book was published would be Roscoe Coughlin, a new player that surfaced late last year (Rob mentions the card above).

Fred
04-12-2020, 08:40 PM
There are three cards of Tug Wilson, but he is misidentified on the cards as Joe Miller. Joe G. and I did an article about this several years ago. Check Old Cardboard.
As David said, I have annotated my book to refllect all changes since the book was published in 2008. However, there is no place where these changes are detailed. If we ever do an update they will be included there.

I'd love to see that annotated book...

oldjudge
04-12-2020, 09:06 PM
Fred-I wish there was an easy way to show it to you. There are quite a few interesting additions. My favorite, something I noticed one evening a few years ago, is that pose 7-2 of Varney Anderson is really someone else. This required the pose to be move to the correct player. Can you figure out who that player is?

prewinter
04-12-2020, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the quick updates! I've been researching the Western Association season of 1888, and I have compiled rosters of the clubs from the preseason onward. Tug Wilson and Roscoe Coughlin were two players unaccounted for from their club's respective opening day roster.

oldjudge
04-12-2020, 09:29 PM
Here is the Coughlin entry I added to my book:

Leon
04-13-2020, 02:25 PM
Here is the Coughlin entry I added to my book:
I am sure it's always a pleasure to update the book except it could be another needed.😐

insidethewrapper
04-13-2020, 04:33 PM
Would be nice to add all the updates to the 2008 book in a few page publication that collectors could obtain for around $ 5.00 and receive in letter form . This site is to share information and I'm glad to see the above posts are doing that , instead of all the secrecy at times in this hobby.