PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Red "Out At Third" players?

TNP777
04-08-2020, 11:14 AM
Do any of the resident T3 experts have any idea who the players are on this card? Doesn't appear to be much info out there, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks!

Republicaninmass
04-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Pretty sure Jordan and Herzog are at first ;)

TNP777
04-08-2020, 01:15 PM
Pretty sure Jordan and Herzog are at first ;)

Who? :D

brianp-beme
04-08-2020, 01:54 PM
Not sure about players, but here is the card.

Brian (card not mine)

TNP777
04-08-2020, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Brian. I meant to include a pic, but forgot.

I’ve heard from a couple other sources today that the 3rd baseman might be Art Devlin. If anyone else has that same thought, that’d be great.

philliesfan
04-08-2020, 03:53 PM
I always liked that card. One day I will get one.

familytoad
04-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Hi Geordie!

I think the players look like Art Devlin at 3rd base (Giants) and John Hummel sliding (Trolley Dodgers)

This is based on scientific guessery.

Looking at Hummel’s T205 gave me the basis for the guess.

Unless this is a trick and I’m supposed to say “I don’t know’s on third”?

milkit1
04-08-2020, 06:56 PM
I bought a lot of type 1's many years ago that had a couple of photos very close to the Turkey reds and one that very certainly was a Turkey red (The Jordan/Herzog photo). These photos are all from 1909 and are all at the Polo Grounds. interestingly all of the "Action" shots in the T3 set show a Giant so Im inclined to think that the same photographer of these pics I posted took the originals that were used as the basis of the paintings for the action T3's.
the card "Trying to Catch Him Napping" is very close to one of these photos as well showing Fred Tenney and an unnamed runner. In the original photo I think the runner is possibly another Giant and its just a photo of a warmup or practice game where as on the T3 it is obviously a Red.
The card you are speaking of I am pretty sure is Art Devlin as the 3rd basemen pictured seems right handed. That eliminates the possibility that this T3 could have been a variation of one of these original photos showing Fred Tenney as Fred was Left handed. That fact that the other card is very assuredly Tim Jordan makes me think he is the runner is the card you mentioned.
Hope this is of some help :)

familytoad
04-08-2020, 07:06 PM
https://images.psacard.com/s3/cu-psa/cardfacts/1911-t205-gold-border-john-e-hummell-22355.jpg?h=1000&format=png&s.roundcorners=10

The Zappala Cracker Jack book has a quote about Hummel being a “violent slider” into bases.
His face on the T205 looks similar to the T3 painting...

Leon
04-09-2020, 08:56 AM
Great info., Thanks for sharing.

I bought a lot of type 1's many years ago that had a couple of photos very close to the Turkey reds and one that very certainly was a Turkey red (The Jordan/Herzog photo). These photos are all from 1909 and are all at the Polo Grounds. interestingly all of the "Action" shots in the T3 set show a Giant so Im inclined to think that the same photographer of these pics I posted took the originals that were used as the basis of the paintings for the action T3's.
the card "Trying to Catch Him Napping" is very close to one of these photos as well showing Fred Tenney and an unnamed runner. In the original photo I think the runner is possibly another Giant and its just a photo of a warmup or practice game where as on the T3 it is obviously a Red.
The card you are speaking of I am pretty sure is Art Devlin as the 3rd basemen pictured seems right handed. That eliminates the possibility that this T3 could have been a variation of one of these original photos showing Fred Tenney as Fred was Left handed. That fact that the other card is very assuredly Tim Jordan makes me think he is the runner is the card you mentioned.
Hope this is of some help :)

milkit1
04-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Sure thing! Love finding type 1s that were made into cards