PDA

View Full Version : Best way to ship from home?

dougscats
04-02-2020, 08:41 AM
I'll be selling some stuff on BST and I don't want to be going to the post office every day, given the virus.
I did google usps services before posting this.
But some of you guys have great experience in this area, and I'm sure you can give me the best advice.
So, pardon if it's a needless/dumb question, but from your experience what's the best way of shipping from home, preferably usps first class with tracking.

Thanks.

Doug

scooter729
04-02-2020, 08:46 AM
If you know the weight of your package, you can easily print the postage online (I do it through PayPal frequently). I'm able to leave my outgoing packages to my mail carrier when they deliver to my house as well, so that could be an option for you.

D. Bergin
04-02-2020, 08:53 AM
Yup, print postage online, and then I just leave a note in my mailbox for my carrier to pick up packages on my front porch.

I use Stamps.com, but I'm sure there's other cheaper options to print postage online, if you don't anticipate very much volume.

Also, if you are shipping any Priority packages, you can get free supplies online at USPS.com.

x2drich2000
04-02-2020, 08:53 AM
If you know the weight of your package, you can easily print the postage online (I do it through PayPal frequently). I'm able to leave my outgoing packages to my mail carrier when they deliver to my house as well, so that could be an option for you.

Exactly, Paypal shipping works great. It includes the discount from the window price and includes free tracking and delivery confirmation (signature is extra). If you don't trust your mail person to take the package from your house, just take it to the post office and drop it in the mail slot so you don't have to actually talk to anyone.

toledo_mudhen
04-03-2020, 03:40 AM
Bought a digital scale many years ago that weighs down to 1/10 ounce (you really need something like this and I'm sure mine has "paid" for itself many times over)

Since I am both a Buyer and Seller I reuse padded envelopes from previous purchases and I buy and print online shipping through Paypal Shipping (or eBay as may be the case)

Typically I just drive by the outdoor Collection Box at PO on my way to work and I'm done

Saves money and I don't have to go inside anywhere

BruceinGa
04-03-2020, 06:08 AM
^^^^^^ totally agree!

RL
04-03-2020, 10:41 AM
you can schedule a pick up

sb1
04-03-2020, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=x2drich2000;1967175]Exactly, Paypal shipping works great. It includes the discount from the window price and includes free tracking and delivery confirmation (signature is extra).

Can Paypal shipping be used for non-ebay sales(I use it there), such as BST here, both regular and Friends/Family

scooter729
04-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Can Paypal shipping be used for non-ebay sales(I use it there), such as BST here, both regular and Friends/Family

Yep - I do it all the time, through PayPal Multi-Order Shipping (I believe it's called). I just type in the address info, and you get the same online shipping discounts.

dougscats
04-06-2020, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I feel like a moron, but I'm still having problems.

First I went to the usps site, Click-N-Ship.
It appears that this service only applies to Priority Mail. Is that correct?
When I try to print a label for first class, which is how I want to send it, I just reach a dead end.
Is it possible to get labels printed and pay for first class shipping from home via usps?

Second, I went to paypal.
I just received money ppff for a card I sold to a forum member.
Following paypal instructions, I went to "Activity"; then I try to click on the transaction [which was simply a payment, no item mentioned], and it says,
We couldn't find any transactions matching your filters.

What am I doing wrong/What do I need to do?

Sorry for my ineptitude; thanks for any additional help.

Doug

Smanzari
04-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
I feel like a moron, but I'm still having problems.

First I went to the usps site, Click-N-Ship.
It appears that this service only applies to Priority Mail. Is that correct?
When I try to print a label for first class, which is how I want to send it, I just reach a dead end.
Is it possible to get labels printed and pay for first class shipping from home via usps?

Second, I went to paypal.
I just received money ppff for a card I sold to a forum member.
Following paypal instructions, I went to "Activity"; then I try to click on the transaction [which was simply a payment, no item mentioned], and it says,
We couldn't find any transactions matching your filters.

What am I doing wrong/What do I need to do?

Sorry for my ineptitude; thanks for any additional help.

Doug

www.paypal.com/shipnow

toledo_mudhen
04-06-2020, 01:01 PM

Select the "Summary" Tab to go to your Summary Page

Half way down on the Right Side of the Page - you should see Manage MultiOrder Shipping

Click that and follow instructions on purchasing postage and printing label

USPS Click and Ship will only do "expensive" mail

dougscats
04-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Thanks much, Stefan and Lonnie.

Stefan, I used your link and bingo! It's done!
Halleluleah!

ahumes13
04-06-2020, 01:27 PM
Yep- you'll typically only see a "ship' option on your transaction if it was paid for using PP Goods. If it was paid via Friends/Family you just need to use the MultiOrder shipping route.

mintacular
04-06-2020, 01:30 PM
If you have parcels under 13 oz.and don't need a scan you can also find a local blue collection box in your neighborhood and drop them in there if you don't want to leave them for your carrier or don't want to visit po assuming you have paid postage . Use PayPal to ship and print labels