PDA

View Full Version : Color Commentator

Vintagecatcher
03-31-2020, 09:02 AM
As my collection has grown, I realized the importance of being as actuate as possible in cataloging my inventory. Correctly describing an item's color can be quite subjective.

With the S74 colored silk set, labeling the correct color of a silk can be maddening. Some are unique colors as issued, whereas others have faded with time. Even describing the 3 colors of ink used to create the images on the silk is open to interpretation. Some are created with blue ink, others with a brown ink, and still others with burgundy or maroon ink.

Sometimes I simply don't agree with the color listed in previous checklists.
One of George Gibson's B18 varieties has always been described as "red pennants," and the pennants are clearly pink! I'd like to see that error corrected some day!

Lastly, the 4th color that appears in the PX-7 Sweet Caporal Domino Disc set has never been correctly described in my opinion. The discs with this color can have back background colors of the other three colors in the set: red, green, and blue.

This 4th color has sometimes been called: brown, purple, violet, and sepia.
I call it deep purple.

What best describes this color?

Back to cataloging my collection as best I can!

Patrick

buymycards
03-31-2020, 09:46 AM
To most men, who only recognize a few basic colors, it is red. For women, most are able to recognize and name several thousand different colors. So, this could be barnboard red, honey apple scarlet, or a hundred other descriptions. Ask your wife. She will know. :)

Vintagecatcher
03-31-2020, 09:58 AM
Hi Rick,

Problem is that there are other B18 blankets that are clearly red and not pink in the set.

Patrick

buymycards
03-31-2020, 11:12 AM
I would go with "honeysuckle".

Sorry, I'm just screwing around. Love those felt's! I have often thought about trying to put a set together.

buymycards
03-31-2020, 01:47 PM
duplicate post

Michael B
03-31-2020, 01:50 PM
Lastly, the 4th color that appears in the PX-7 Sweet Caporal Domino Disc set has never been correctly described in my opinion. The discs with this color can have back background colors of the other three colors in the set: red, green, and blue.

I call it deep purple.

Patrick

It is mauve which is a brownish purple color.

ALBB
03-31-2020, 02:14 PM
No. I think - Apricot

What was that 70s tune... " your scarlet was apricot " ?

nolemmings
03-31-2020, 02:51 PM

I call it deep purple.

Back to cataloging my collection as best I can!
Patrick

I call it plum. One of those know it when you hear it names. I know technically plums come in different varieties, but if you're on the phone telling me you're eating a plum, that PX7 is exactly the color I picture in my head.

Writehooks
04-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Russet.

tedzan
04-01-2020, 02:39 PM
AMETHYST

Greek word for PURPLE colored gemstone.

The Ancient Greeks (2000 B.C - 300 B.C.) carved their wine glasses from Amethyst stone because
they believed that drinking wine poured into this glass prevented them from becoming intoxicated.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)