PDA

View Full Version : Cataloging your collection

jimmer77
03-29-2020, 02:51 PM
How do you organize your collection? I recently started a spreadsheet sheet using Google Docs...but found that I could go in many different directions, so curious how others do it. Thanks

swarmee
03-29-2020, 03:32 PM
That's how I was doing it so I could modify it on my cellphone when I was away from home at a shop or when I bought something online. Used a different tab for each set I was collecting. Also kept track of the price I paid.

BabyRuth
03-29-2020, 03:56 PM
I use PSA's My Inventory feature because it not only allows you to add PSA cards, but also non-PSA items as well. I use their "Source" Column as the third party grading company and the "Owner's Comments" column as the cert # on the flip. It also allows you to upload photos of all your cards, so you have a digital pic of everything you own. I then use their "Export to CSV", so I can get everything in excel and sort it any way I like.

Leon
03-30-2020, 02:34 PM
I use Burdick's ACC.....and a flat spreadsheet :)

judsonhamlin
03-30-2020, 02:40 PM
I've just set up Excel spreadsheets broken down in groups by date of issue. I have a parallel spreadsheet with what remains on my wantlist and just cut and paste adding grade and if graded, the cert #

Vintagecatcher
03-30-2020, 02:47 PM
I use google sheets with my HP Chromebox.

Finally cleaning up my inventory this week.

Patrick

RCMcKenzie
03-30-2020, 04:52 PM
I use Big Chief Tablets. Just kidding, I use spiral notebooks for each series. I have an old Lemke guide and the Lipset guide. Hope this helps...Rob

Rhotchkiss
03-30-2020, 05:55 PM
I have an excel spreadsheet with several pages. The first page has everything I have ever bought and still own, broken between t206 and everything else. In different columns I list the player, the type of card, the back (advertisement/company), the grading company, the grade, when I bought it, purchase price, and from whom I bought it. Then I have several other pages/sheets that list different back runs and projects, all of which are already listed on the master sheet. I also have one sheet for cards I used to own, which has all the info of the master sheet, plus who I sold/traded it to, for what/how much, and the date.

I don’t have a huge collection - maybe 150+ cards - and I only acquire about 30 cards/year. All of my cards are 100+ years old and almost all have advertising backs, no card numbers; the only cards I have with numbers on them are 1914 CJs and M101-4/5s, and the latter have add backs too. So maybe my collection is easier to catalogue.

I have also catalogued everything digitally, on Flickr, kind of in same fashion, but with less info. https://www.flickr.com/photos/156271253@N07/albums/with/72157676375209007

steve B
03-30-2020, 10:06 PM
I Also use Excel spreadsheets.

Just in a much simpler way.
I have rows 0, 10,20, etc and columns from 1-10.

If I have a card I put a lowercase h in the cell that goes with the card number. If it's in nice condition, I put an uppercase H.

It really helps when going through a boxful of stuff, I can easily pick out the I need and ones that are potential upgrades without getting the collection boxes out from where they are.

I've started experimenting with Spreadsheets including images, but I'm finding that they aren't as viewable as regular ones.

CooperstownExpert
03-30-2020, 10:30 PM
After years of threatening to do so, I finally made a website called CooperstownExpert.com (https://www.cooperstownexpert.com). I still have everything on a spreadsheet, but it's nice to have some of the better stuff on display. The site has been up for about 3 years. As the collection grows, so do the number of pages. Every HoFer has their own page and there are quite a few guys not in the Hall too. If you visit it, I hope you like it.