PDA

View Full Version : Just curious.

Brian Van Horn
03-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Why does this card not get more recognition as a Herb Pennock card? I know it lists the player as Waite Hoyt.

brianp-beme
03-17-2020, 03:00 PM
The V89 William Patterson is definitely a non-mainstream set, and heck, this is the first time I have heard of this photo identification error. Thanks for pointing it out Brian.

I have it written down that this issue was released in 1924, but I have also seen it as 1923 and 1922. Which one is probably correct, or was this a multi-year release? Being that they are fairly uncommon, I would assume that this was only released one year.

Brian

oldjudge
03-17-2020, 03:12 PM
There is no consensus across the hobby as to whether the photo or the name on the card governs whose card it is. The British Cartophilic Society, and Joe Richard, and I in the Old Judge book used the image to govern whose card it was. However, catalogs described the Yum Yum card with the “Anson” name as Anson even though the image is of another player. As I have stated, I believe the image has to govern and your card should be a Pennock. Others might argue otherwise.

paul
03-17-2020, 04:51 PM
It's definitely not a 1922 issue. There is another card of Pennock in the set and it shows him as a Yankee. He joined the Yankees in 1923.

Chris Counts
03-17-2020, 07:56 PM
I wonder the same thing about all those Irving Young cards that collectors consider Cy Young cards.

oldjudge
03-17-2020, 09:20 PM
I wonder the same thing about all those Irving Young cards that collectors consider Cy Young cards.

Many collectors base their opinions on what suits their collection. I think the British Cartophilic Society rule is the one to go by.

brianp-beme
03-17-2020, 11:16 PM
The V89 William Patterson is definitely a non-mainstream set, and heck, this is the first time I have heard of this photo identification error. Thanks for pointing it out Brian.

I have it written down that this issue was released in 1924, but I have also seen it as 1923 and 1922. Which one is probably correct, or was this a multi-year release? Being that they are fairly uncommon, I would assume that this was only released one year.

Brian

Posted a separate thread about the V89 set issue date:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=280478

Brian