PDA

View Full Version : Bear market, global disruption ramping up

Snapolit1
03-11-2020, 03:27 PM
Yeah, prices will be coming down pretty quickly on cards.

Hankphenom
03-11-2020, 04:09 PM
Yeah, prices will be coming down pretty quickly on cards.

How much did they go down during and after the '08 meltdown?

sportscardpete
03-11-2020, 04:14 PM
Ask the people that panicked and sold in 08/09!

Answer: if you can stick out the volatility you will be okay. People that are forced sellers are the ones that always suffer.

Santo10Fan
03-11-2020, 04:21 PM
Ask the people that panicked and sold in 08/09!

Answer: if you can stick out the volatility you will be okay. People that are forced sellers are the ones that always suffer. I agree. Panic/desperation sellers need money, and we need cards. It's unfortunate that some may have to sell their prized cards at prices that hurt them. But as long as there are buyers around for them, the system will hold.

Brian Van Horn
03-11-2020, 04:30 PM
This should be an interesting thread to read in a few weeks.

sportscardpete
03-11-2020, 04:52 PM
Brian would love to hear your thoughts.

Fred
03-11-2020, 05:20 PM
Stock up on paper towels and toilet paper. Should be interesting how many T206 cards someone will pay for a roll...

bbcard1
03-11-2020, 05:22 PM
It will be interesting where show prices are in April/May. You can always see pricing changes start at the floor level of big shows before they show up on line or in guides...or at least that's how it has been. There is a really funky concoction going on our there. Gary Vee is hyping cards as an investment, production seems to be up, there seem to be willing buyers. but the stock market is falling and COVID-19 will at least have a short-term effect. Add in that there is some labor unrest. Pretty much anything can happen.

Hankphenom
03-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Pretty much anything can happen.

And therein lies the source of the panic. This one is different in that the cause is outside the economic and financial realm, so the history of downturns wouldn't seem to be any kind of guide, other than 9/11 perhaps, but that was a discrete and presumably one-time event. Other than massive debt everywhere you turn (and which nobody seems to care about anymore), the economy was purring along, so will it return to that state in a few months when the virus is no longer a factor, or will the various shocks and dislocations in the interim (hello, massive debts) have changed the environment so much that it has become an economic and financial problem with the virus merely the catalyst?

Touch'EmAll
03-11-2020, 06:31 PM
We will see if prices drop right now. I put in a solid yet conservative bid on a big (to me) card, and am high bidder for the moment.

Republicaninmass
03-11-2020, 06:34 PM
It crazy enough to make you say uncle

Still collecting cards here

Snapolit1
03-11-2020, 06:35 PM
It crazy enough to make you say uncle

Still collecting cards here

Nice one.

Touch'EmAll
03-11-2020, 07:35 PM
I had high bid on T206 Johnson hands chest PSA 5 at 2,307. Just ended 2,875. Got blown out last bit, ended at quite the nice hefty price. Honestly didn't think would break 2,500.

todeen
03-11-2020, 07:46 PM
the economy was purring along, so will it return to that state in a few months when the virus is no longer a factor, or will the various shocks and dislocations in the interim (hello, massive debts) have changed the environment so much that it has become an economic and financial problem with the virus merely the catalyst?

I don't think the economy will return to economy of Feb 14. Covid-19 will just be a catalyst to some extent. Plenty of analysts knew Chinese growth was slowing. That was signaling problems ahead. Every analyst knew the stock market needed a correction, and everyone knew this bull market had to come to an end. Many analysts have also highlighted although the US is near full employment, many jobs created in this bull market were not middle class jobs. Many more people are working multiple jobs to get by. Not to mention the college debt bubble that will have to be reckoned with some day, there are lots of questions left unanswered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Johnny630
03-11-2020, 07:52 PM
The time to buy will be near......I’ve been preaching card poor and cash rich for the right time to buy. Right now I’m praying for the sick people and all the world. The cards aren’t going anywhere.

Show Promoters Temp Suspend Please Until Further

Tyruscobb
03-11-2020, 09:08 PM
Stock up on paper towels and toilet paper. Should be interesting how many T206 cards someone will pay for a roll...

Yeah, baseball cards don’t make good toilet paper, especially small T-206s. :D

Leon
03-12-2020, 07:20 AM
Yeah, baseball cards don’t make good toilet paper, especially small T-206s. :D

I think a severe market correction affects card prices too.
You have to go with premiums for the TP...

This premium might have already been used for TP, LOL

Hankphenom
03-12-2020, 10:13 AM
I had high bid on T206 Johnson hands chest PSA 5 at 2,307. Just ended 2,875. Got blown out last bit, ended at quite the nice hefty price. Honestly didn't think would break 2,500.

There are trillions more dollars sitting in bank accounts today than there were a month ago, and particularly among the collector demographic, I'd guess. That money isn't going anywhere any time soon because there's no good place for it to go. I could envision a scenario where high end cards and memorabilia continue to do quite well while the hobby in general slips into a recession along with the rest of the economy.

ullmandds
03-12-2020, 10:18 AM
There are trillions more dollars sitting in bank accounts today than there were a month ago, and particularly among the collector demographic, I'd guess. That money isn't going anywhere any time soon because there's no good place for it to go. I could envision a scenario where high end cards and memorabilia continue to do quite well while the hobby in general slips into a recession along with the rest of the economy.

If anyone's looking to dramatically overpay for something they know I have in my collection...email me!!!!!

Hankphenom
03-12-2020, 10:23 AM
If anyone's looking to dramatically overpay for something they know I have in my collection...email me!!!!!

Float them on the B/S/T and see what happens. You'll be the canary in the coal mine!

conor912
03-12-2020, 12:48 PM
I think a severe market correction affects card prices too.
You have to go with premiums for the TP...

This premium might have already been used for TP, LOL

I’ll happily trade a case of Charmin for that premium :)

MULLINS5
03-12-2020, 09:47 PM
Trading card market is strong. People realize the end is near and that bucket list Mantle MUST be bought now...at any cost!