PDA

View Full Version : Albumen photo June 6, 1860-Potomac BBC/Excelsior BBC of Baltimore

tennisguy
02-22-2020, 01:08 PM
I hope everyone is doing well! I got this piece back in mid-summer 2019. Found in a north Georgia estate by a relative (uncle) and gifted to me. Even though it has condition issues, I feel fortunate to have it.

Taken June 6, 1860 depicting players of both clubs intertwined in the photo. Many holding bats. The game was played between Potomac BBC of Washington DC verse the Excelsior BBC of Baltimore in which the Baltimore club won the contest. As I have researched the game was played on the White House property grounds.

I attached a few scans. I apologize for they seem blurry and not sure how to make them clearer? In hand much better detail. I appreciate any comments, information, knowledge that anyone would care to share?

Many thanks,
Ryan

GaryPassamonte
02-22-2020, 01:34 PM
According to Protoball, the Potomacs and the Nationals were the first base ball teams from Washington DC. Since the Potomacs only played games in 1860, your dating is accurate. Your stereoview is most certainly one of the earliest depictions of a baseball subject known. Can you tell us what is written on the reverse of the card?

bgar3
02-22-2020, 01:35 PM
Very nice piece, however I think you might be confusing this with the famous Excelsiors of Brooklyn vs. the Nationals of Washington that took place in September 1866 on the grounds of the new President’s house, viewed by President Johnson. There is a great image from that game of the 2 teams along with Chadwick and team officials. I say this because of your reference to on the White House grounds. I can’t really see the photos well enough to make out any players, but would love to see any larger images you can make. Although I do not have the famous cabinet photo taken in 1866, I am attaching a nice special bulletin detailed write up of the game (almost certainly by Chadwick).
I will see if I can find any references to a game on the date of you piece in Peverelly or Orem and let you know.

bgar3
02-22-2020, 01:38 PM
Like Gary I would like to see a better image or description of the writing. It does appear to be signed, can you make that out? That name could also be researched.

bgar3
02-22-2020, 02:08 PM
Ryan, I will attach a reference from Peverelly and refer you to an extensive write up in Baseball Pioneers pages 253 to 261. You may already seen that since it references a game played near the White House on June 6 and cites a June 7 article in the Baltimore Sun. There is also a list of players to check to see if there is anything close to the signature on the back.
Again, exciting piece.
Having difficulty uploading Peverelly page, will try later.

bgar3
02-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Peverelly pages on Potomac club.

GaryPassamonte
02-22-2020, 02:15 PM
The 1866 Nationals and Brooklyn Excelsiors image. There was a game between the Washington Potomacs and Baltimore Excelsiors on 6/6/1860. The reverse should help us determine which game and which teams we have here.

bgar3
02-22-2020, 02:41 PM
Agree Gary, the back is critical.

Michael B
02-22-2020, 03:48 PM
I played with the image and here is what I could read:

….the Potomac Base Ball Club of Washington -- Excelsior Club of Balt. in which the latter were successful H W. F Clay(ton)

tennisguy
02-22-2020, 03:52 PM
Here is the back! Hopefully comes through legible. The corner is a little rat chewed, but the writing is period ink no doubt.

“taken after June sixth (rat chewed) , but can make out xth for sixth, between the Potomac Baseball club of Washington and the Excelsior baseball club of Baltimore, in which the latter were successful “

Signature appears to me as Wm. F. Clayton

These two teams only played one time and that was in Washington. Both teams were mostly made up of government workers and with the Potomac club shutting down and closing up shop a year or two after this photo if I can recall. The National club took the herald in Washington. The Excelsior club was founded by George Beam a businessman who had business connections with the Excelsiors of Brooklyn. He was so excited about the Brooklyn club, he came back to Baltimore and financed the Excelsior club of Baltimore. As with the Potomacs mostly made up of government workers. Beam was player/coach/executive.

This was found with four other similar albumen photos of the Washington D.C. area. One was of the Capital, Asian people, building’s and this gem! My uncle said that they all had the same persons hand writing with writing relating to each individual photo.

My uncle a kind soul who lives in Alabama, new how much I liked collecting cards as a kid in my youth, sent it to me. Surprise, he didn’t even know my love for 19th century.

aelefson
02-22-2020, 04:18 PM
I don't have anything useful to add but I did want to say amazing item and thank you for posting it!

Alan

tennisguy
02-22-2020, 04:41 PM
I appreciate it Alan! It actually displays more detail in hand. Amazing to be able to have and hold one of the earliest images of the game.

Thanks again for the kind words Alan!

All my Best,
Ryan

Hankphenom
02-22-2020, 08:44 PM
Amazing, historical piece. Shows what kind of stuff is still out there waiting to be discovered!

ramram
02-23-2020, 09:48 PM
Great find Ryan.

Rob M

tennisguy
02-24-2020, 02:18 PM
Has anyone ever seen an image of either these team's before?

Leon
02-24-2020, 02:34 PM
This was moved from the memorabilia forum to get a few more eyes on it. Nice stereoview.