PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Piece of Garbage

Yoda
02-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Trolling through Ebay and came across an interesting "vintage card" for sale, a 1915 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb no less with a list price of $4,500. We have yetihw96 to thank for the offering, of which I see a few problems:

1. The card is a very bad specimen of a reprint, perhaps a Dover, and a fuzzy scan to go with it.
2. The seller obviously has done a lot of research on the card and surprised
us with a new reverse. Remarkable.
3. In the description he claims it is a PSA4. But where is the slab?
4. In the other items for sale section, yes you guessed it, only this poor Tyrus is to be found.
5.He has feedback, but only on the buy side. It appears that the Ebay public now has the benefit of his first offering.

Doesn't Ebay have any kind of safeguards in place so that such an egregious piece of trash like this never gets listed?

Eric72
02-17-2020, 02:29 PM
The seller also included "PWCC" in their listing title. Not sure why, but I find this amusing.

buymycards
02-17-2020, 02:32 PM
eBay doesn't care. There are 1000's of fake cards listed at any given time.

luciobar1980
02-17-2020, 02:40 PM
I mean it's listings like this I don't even usually comment on or bother reporting to eBay. Because.. in a sense.. if you're fool enough to actually bid on this card you probably deserve it. Haha. And I only say that because it should take the average person about 10 seconds of research to figure out this is not a real 1915 Cracker Jack.

Snapolit1
02-17-2020, 05:38 PM

On any given day eaby has over a billion items for sale worldwide. It's a shame they don't drop everything when we report a suspected fake Cracker Jack. You think they'd be more caring.

Sure same discussion is taking place right now on a hummell collectors board. "Can you believe the restored news boy from 1964 . . . Cracks on his arm are very clear. The arm was glued back!! I cant believe ebay is not pulling it down!!"

Fuddjcal
02-17-2020, 05:52 PM

That's why I closed my E-bay account yesterday. I am standing up for what I believe in. They are part of the problem in promoting and selling so many fake autographs, fake Kewpie dolls, fake purses, fake watches, fake coins and yes guys, fake baseball cards. FAKE everything. They have lined their pockets off selling fakes. I think they are disgusting companies as the aforementioned and especially e-bay and let's include PSA, everybody's favorite here.

They have helped make PWCC and Probstein what they are a most despicable trio of companies. Frankly, You all can give me shit for speaking my mind and what I firmly believe is a billion dollar fraud going back 20 years. That is not joke. I really don't give a shit about you nay sayers that just want to keep the PSA gravy train rolling. I think you are short sighted and don't stand up for what you believe is right. either that or you have no moral compass....or perhaps you are too pigheaded or just a complete asshole that only cares about yourself?

I would rather have my old sagging bat winged balls sliced off than to support a company that rips people off consistently and doesn't give 2 shits about their customers.

My parents taught me to stand up for right and wrong and that's what I'm going to do and continue to do until the day I die. I am not part of the problem. I am trying to get the word out and help just 1 person.

If you can't stop associating with criminals to enjoy your hobby or to make money, that's on you. You imbeciles know who you are.

Keep Popping Nincompoops

Snapolit1
02-17-2020, 05:56 PM
That's why I closed my E-bay account yesterday. I am standing up for what I believe in. They are part of the problem in promoting and selling so many fake autographs, fake Kewpie dolls, fake purses, fake watches, fake coins and yes guys, fake baseball cards. FAKE everything. They have lined their pockets off selling fakes. I think they are disgusting companies as the aforementioned and especially e-bay and let's include PSA, everybody's favorite here.

They have helped make PWCC and Probstein what they are a most despicable trio of companies. Frankly, You all can give me shit for speaking my mind and what I firmly believe is a billion dollar fraud going back 20 years. That is not joke. I really don't give a shit about you nay sayers that just want to keep the PSA gravy train rolling. I think you are short sighted and don't stand up for what you believe is right. either that or you have no moral compass....or perhaps you are too pigheaded or just a complete asshole that only cares about yourself?

I would rather have my old sagging bat winged balls sliced off than to support a company that rips people off consistently and doesn't give 2 shits about their customers.
Fake airplane parts are a real bitch.

My parents taught me to stand up for right and wrong and that's what I'm going to do and continue to do until the day I die. I am not part of the problem. I am trying to get the word out and help just 1 person.

If you can't stop associating with criminals to enjoy your hobby or to make money, that's on you. You imbeciles know who you are.

Keep Popping Nincompoops

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Amazon, Sears, JC Pennys, and Kmart all occasionally sell counterfeit goods. In fact so does CVS and Rite Aid. Fake airplane component parts are a real bitch if you ask me.

hcv123
02-17-2020, 07:16 PM
The seller also included "PWCC" in their listing title. Not sure why, but I find this amusing.

My guess is the seller has no clue what is going on with PWCC and included their name thinking that there are lots of people who use PWCC as a search term.

Jim65
02-18-2020, 08:43 AM
We know the item is crap but how can Ebay verify every complaint?

Whats to stop someone from reporting a legitimate item as fake. Let's say someone is selling a similar item and wants to get rid of competition or someone just doesn't like you, or they are just plain wrong.

Snapolit1
02-18-2020, 10:38 AM
We know the item is crap but how can Ebay verify every complaint?

Whats to stop someone from reporting a legitimate item as fake. Let's say someone is selling a similar item and wants to get rid of competition or someone just doesn't like you, or they are just plain wrong.

There are people on this board who argue that eBay should take down cards that we re-holdered by PSA and given better grades after what appears to be possible trimming, soaking, or something else. Really? Seems a little nuts to me. Ebay should take a card down that PSA calls a 5 because you don't trust the grade?

Without getting political, which of course is not allowed, seems we live in a society now where you just blame the corporation in the middle no matter what happens. People will commit fraud and all sorts of crappy stuff, but blame the middle man somehow. And I'm not arguing that PSA or PWCC should be exonerated in any way shape or form. But to blame ebay for what others may be perpetrating seems awfully misplaced. It's a platform that others can do good things with or try to rip people off.

Leon
02-21-2020, 10:02 AM
It isn't a trust factor (unfortunately for the tpg's) it is the hard evidence factor, right in front of anyone's eyes. The criminals have been better than tpg's have been, apparently.
Besides that I mostly agree with you. :)

There are people on this board who argue that eBay should take down cards that we re-holdered by PSA and given better grades after what appears to be possible trimming, soaking, or something else. Really? Seems a little nuts to me. Ebay should take a card down that PSA calls a 5 because you don't trust the grade?

Without getting political, which of course is not allowed, seems we live in a society now where you just blame the corporation in the middle no matter what happens. People will commit fraud and all sorts of crappy stuff, but blame the middle man somehow. And I'm not arguing that PSA or PWCC should be exonerated in any way shape or form. But to blame ebay for what others may be perpetrating seems awfully misplaced. It's a platform that others can do good things with or try to rip people off.

forceplay sport
02-21-2020, 11:21 AM
my favorite is the copyright on the back 1993 Borden Inc.

ALBB
02-21-2020, 11:35 AM
I think more collectors should close out their ebay accounts