PDA

View Full Version : PSA Card Case Issue? Just arrived from PSA.

Tay1038
02-17-2020, 09:40 AM
I received my first ever submission of graded cards back from PSA last Thursday. Turnaround time was just over 90 days, so not terribly long considering I am not a member of PSA with no history submitting cards for grading. I noticed on my T206 Cravath the laminate looking “Frosting” or “Icing” is very bubbly and looks horrible. The other cases in my order are perfect with no issues. Is there any recourse with PSA to fix this issue? Is this common?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

steve B
02-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Looks like they may have put it in a sleeve to keep the slabbing process from doing more surface damage.
Nobody like the sleeves, but it's probably not avoidable.

I've never understood the claim that vacuum might damage the cards, the slabs aren't sealed, so I'm not sure what the vacuum would be for. Maybe to briefly hold the two halves together while the laser/ultrasonic welder does its thing? If it's ultrasonic, how do they get the sound through the vacuum?

swarmee
02-17-2020, 12:58 PM
I agree; it looks like they decided to use the Mylar sleeve to reduce likelihood of future damage.

irishdenny
02-17-2020, 01:27 PM
Looks like they may have put it in a sleeve to keep the slabbing process from doing more surface damage.
Nobody like the sleeves, but it's probably not avoidable.

I've never understood the claim that vacuum might damage the cards, the slabs aren't sealed, so I'm not sure what the vacuum would be for. Maybe to briefly hold the two halves together while the laser/ultrasonic welder does its thing? If it's ultrasonic, how do they get the sound through the vacuum?

Steve... This So True and Really FuNNy at the Same Time :)

if anything... the process isn't healthy for the Cards!

t206fanatic
02-17-2020, 01:36 PM
I do not know why they put the sleeve around the card, but it certainly does detract from the aesthetic.

steve B
02-17-2020, 01:51 PM
What doesn't the scan show that makes that AB a 3? Or is it just PSA being PSA?

t206fanatic
02-17-2020, 02:19 PM
What doesn't the scan show that makes that AB a 3? Or is it just PSA being PSA?

Think the light staining on the back is the reason for the grade-- just posted to show that same 'frosting' look at OP's card.

Steve D
02-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Think the light staining on the back is the reason for the grade-- just posted to show that same 'frosting' look at OP's card.

There's also a diagonal crease at the lower right corner, and the image is out of focus.

Steve

CW
02-17-2020, 02:57 PM
I do not know why they put the sleeve around the card, but it certainly does detract from the aesthetic.

In some cases with undersized cards that don't fit into the holder's space very well, such as the AB back you posted, PSA opts for the mylar sleeve to prevent the card from moving around in the slab which could cause edge damage.

steve B
02-17-2020, 03:31 PM
There's also a diagonal crease at the lower right corner, and the image is out of focus.

Steve

Didn't see that, I had to look at my monitor from a different angle.. I miss the old crt monitors in some ways.

That still seems a bit harsh for a card that good looking.

The baggies really don't look good. They are probably good at keeping a small card in place, but there must be a better way.

Fuddjcal
02-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Didn't see that, I had to look at my monitor from a different angle.. I miss the old crt monitors in some ways.

That still seems a bit harsh for a card that good looking.

The baggies really don't look good. They are probably good at keeping a small card in place, but there must be a better way.

I think it looks wonderful! Congratulations:) to you with that fine PSA Card

steve B
02-17-2020, 08:15 PM
I think it looks wonderful! Congratulations:) to you with that fine PSA Card

It's not my card....

Bill77
02-17-2020, 11:39 PM

All they would have to do to make the cards look better with the baggies is to heat seal them like Beckett does and put them in a full size holder so the inner rails don't bunch up the baggy.

Stampsfan
02-18-2020, 12:50 AM
All they would have to do to make the cards look better with the baggies is to heat seal them like Beckett does and put them in a full size holder so the inner rails don't bunch up the baggy.

You may be assuming they actually want to please call he average collector.

cubman1941
02-18-2020, 06:57 AM
Don' have answer and didn't think of it but here are 2 I got back within a year of each other - just don't remember which year but it had to be no later than 2018.

cubman1941
02-18-2020, 07:00 AM
Here are two I have just don't remember what year but the Tinker one was probably 2018.

perezfan
02-18-2020, 10:55 AM
Gorgeous presentation on that Tinker. If they sent that card to me looking like that, I'd demand a refund. Who would even want to display that? They couldn't bother to get it to sit straight in the holder, and the baggy is a complete mess. How were they able to slab the other one to look presentable?

For what they charge, you'd think they'd understand you want to show off a "7" in it's best light. Despite their catch-phrase, I believe you "got cheated".

Tay1038
02-18-2020, 12:40 PM
Thank you to all that chimed in. I don't much about the card grading as I do other areas in the hobby, therefore I really appreciate the photo examples and knowledge.

cubman1941
02-18-2020, 02:13 PM
Thanks - I kind of thought the same thing but ???

Gorgeous presentation on that Tinker. If they sent that card to me looking like that, I'd demand a refund. Who would even want to display that? They couldn't bother to get it to sit straight in the holder, and the baggy is a complete mess. How were they able to slab the other one to look presentable?

For what they charge, you'd think they'd understand you want to show off a "7" in it's best light. Despite their catch-phrase, I believe you "got cheated".

perezfan
02-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Thanks - I kind of thought the same thing but ???

I can't answer this, but I'm sure someone else here can...

If Cubman (Jim) does not like the look of Tinker in the slanted + off-centered "Baggie Slab", can't he request that his card be re-holdered in the same manner as the Evers in Post 16?

At least in theory, they should be the exact same size. Does PSA have a policy on this?

sbfinley
02-18-2020, 06:40 PM
At least in theory, they should be the exact same size. Does PSA have a policy on this?

Except they aren't. Slight M116 size variations are quite common from my experience. When they are slightly oversized they get the "bag" slab.

Leon
02-24-2020, 09:11 AM
I prefer a baggie to a card moving around in the holder.

bobbyw8469
02-24-2020, 09:16 AM
I prefer a baggie to a card moving around in the holder.

Same.

aconte
02-24-2020, 10:22 AM
Me too. I actually like the baggie as you know the card is safe from additional
corner and edge wear from being loose in the holder.

jchcollins
02-24-2020, 01:55 PM
PSA has a long way to go in ensuring that most of the cards they slab do not move around in their holders. I too have heard the Mylar insert reasoning, but it doesn’t always solve the problem. Vintage cards, including prewar and postwar were often made from different thickness cardboard stock. When PSA fails to account for this, you occasionally see cards slipping and sliding around in their slabs as if on greased skids. No, it’s probably not the total end of the world, but as someone who collects for reasons other than to simply turn a profit - it’s annoying. I’ve seen the “slippage” with everything from T206 cards to mid-70’s Topps. I guess the point is, if you use a baggie - then like BVG - at least figure a way to use it that ensures the card does not move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

perezfan
02-24-2020, 03:49 PM
Me too. I actually like the baggie as you know the card is safe from additional
corner and edge wear from being loose in the holder.

I would much prefer that they just make a Holder that’s sized right. For all the money and profits they take in, I don’t think that’s asking a whole lot. The baggies look like crap. I much prefer a clean and polished look to a diagonal and off-centered card with bunched up cellophane surrounding it.

At least they’re good at authenticating. :(

thanksjoe
02-25-2020, 07:44 PM
Same.

I'm the same as well... seems like it works

Batpig
02-27-2020, 12:04 PM
I recommend we start referring to these as “Damascus slabs”. Maybe that will make them seem less ugly.

Sean
02-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Don' have answer and didn't think of it but here are 2 I got back within a year of each other - just don't remember which year but it had to be no later than 2018.

Nice Cubs.