PDA

View Full Version : Centering / Weight

LincolnVT
02-16-2020, 11:24 AM
What weight does centering hold in the actual grading of a card? Is it only a factor applied when a card has been miscut / a PSA OC? With all of the focus on eye appeal, one would think that centering should carry more weight. I've seen so many heavily off-centered 8s and 9s out there...even some 10s.

Fred
02-16-2020, 01:22 PM
Centering appears to be VERY critical for a lot of collectors.

What is really mind boggling is that the TPGs have centering standards for the different grade levels and in many cases the cards are well beyond the centering criteria yet still receive numerical grades that do not reflect what is outlined in the centering guidelines.

Yes, there are qualifiers for PSA. But we've all seen so many cards that don't have the OC qualifier, yet the card obviously misses the centering spec.

Leon
02-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Not sure how the tpg's rate centering. As we know, the market rates it very highly in many cases. Personally, I am always happier with well centered cards. As I talk to other collectors some have other things they value more. But centering seems to be important on what I, and many others, collect.

https://luckeycards.com/williams.jpg

What weight does centering hold in the actual grading of a card? Is it only a factor applied when a card has been miscut / a PSA OC? With all of the focus on eye appeal, one would think that centering should carry more weight. I've seen so many heavily off-centered 8s and 9s out there...even some 10s.