PDA

View Full Version : New t206 collector - pricing question

Wookjie17
02-14-2020, 01:44 PM
Hi -

Recently started trying to build a legit t206 collection after sitting on 2-3 for many years.

I am not in it for resell value, so I am not opposed to altered or 1s/10s or 2s/20s with nice eye appeal. Trying to stay away from absolute beaters.

I do have a good understanding of relative value between players, different backs, etc...

But - wanted to understand why I am seeing such huge spreads on eBay for similar condition cards. Taking PSA 1 or 1.5 for example, all things being equal, ranges from $22-$30 to $50-$60 to more in some cases

The lower priced cards may be people dealing with higher volumes, but even so, seems to be no agreed/settled market rate for commons.

Any thoughts on this observation and any guidance on what realistic expectations should be for low end graded cards?

Thanks all for any feedback

Bpm0014
02-14-2020, 02:14 PM
My advice. Buy T206s here. Not on ebay.

x2drich2000
02-14-2020, 02:15 PM
Remember, anyone can ask anything they want on Ebay, that doesn't mean it is a realistic price or that it will sell. That said, there are also commons that sell for a premium such as Powers, Cicotti, Titus, SLers, horizontal, etc. I'm sure others can give even more details. I would look for 1s around $15, 2s for <$25, and 3s around $30. Keep in mind basic T206s are quite common and unless you are after a specific back, you'll always find another. Also, if you are just starting, buying a lot from an AH might make it a lot cheaper, especially if you need to factor in shipping and tax.

Ronnie73
02-15-2020, 12:58 AM
Most T206 "Buy It Nows" are over priced. Many times because of the fees on ebay and paypal. Use best offer if that option exists or even better, purchase cards here on Net54. You should be able to purchase nice clean ungraded commons in the $20-$25 range and some low end graded cards for $30-$35. The key to building a successful set is to make only smart purchases. Never over pay on a card. There are plenty of cards to choose from when you don't mind common backs like Piedmont and Sweet Caporal. Building the set is not a sprint but a marathon. You are definitely in the right place for anything T206. There are plenty of T206 collectors, sellers, and experts here. I recommend staying away from building a trimmed set. Even though you don't plan on selling any time soon, It's just better to have a low grade set over an altered set. I recommend low grade cards that are not trimmed, have no writing, have no paper loss, and are fairly centered. Good luck with the journey. You could use this post to show off your new additions to the set as you get them.

Leon
02-17-2020, 07:17 PM
I would think the eye appeal is what differentiates some of the 1s and 2s from others. There is much more variance in aesthetics in the lower grades than the higher ones. Good luck in the hunt. I would also check the BST here as there can be some good savings on fees and so forth. Caveat emptor and be careful over there but it's generally a safe place.