PDA

View Full Version : Roger Kahn passes - author of "The Boys of Summer"

ValKehl
02-11-2020, 12:20 PM
The bio that appears in last Sunday's Wash. Post is an interesting read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/roger-kahn-author-of-baseball-classic-the-boys-of-summer-dies-at-92/2020/02/07/07172ea8-49c1-11ea-9164-d3154ad8a5cd_story.html

tedzan
02-11-2020, 01:20 PM
The Boys of Summer is a must read.

Another one of Roger's great books (1993, 371 pages) is: The Era, 1947–1957 When the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers Ruled the World

GOD Bless his soul....and, comfort his family and friends.

TED Z

T206 Reference (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237816)

Exhibitman
02-11-2020, 01:41 PM
RIP. A wonderful historian of the game and the nation.

whitehse
02-11-2020, 02:34 PM
I need to try and read Boys of Summer again.

I was nine years old and had two baseball books I was reading, Boys of Summer and Ball Four until my mom casually picked up Ball Four one day and read some of it. Needless to say I never saw those books again. I did read Ball Four but never got back to Roger Kahn's classic and it needs to be at the top of my reading list once again.

vintagebaseballcardguy
02-11-2020, 02:44 PM
RIP...wonderful writer of wonderful stories!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy
02-11-2020, 03:14 PM
The Boys of Summer is a wonderful book, read it many years ago when I was in college. The song's not too shabby either (Don Henley reference).

It was a real shame the way Pete Rose lied to him in the biography that Kahn wrote. Pete could have used that book to come clean and ask for forgiveness at the doorstep of MLB. Instead, he kept up his lies.

Roger, thank you for documenting and telling us the stories of this great game. We are forever indebted. May you rest in peace.

Tabe
02-11-2020, 03:31 PM
I need to try and read Boys of Summer again.

I was nine years old and had two baseball books I was reading, Boys of Summer and Ball Four until my mom casually picked up Ball Four one day and read some of it. Needless to say I never saw those books again. I did read Ball Four but never got back to Roger Kahn's classic and it needs to be at the top of my reading list once again.

There's a new biography of Jim Bouton coming out in a couple months:

https://smile.amazon.com/Bouton-Baseball-Original-Mitchell-Nathanson/dp/1496217705/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=jim+bouton&qid=1581460276&sr=8-3

jgannon
02-11-2020, 04:02 PM
Wow, didn't realize this. I just happen to be reading "The Boys Of Summer" right now. I read it as a kid, but wanted to read it again. RIP, Roger Kahn...

tedzan
02-11-2020, 07:50 PM
Double post.

e6phillips
02-11-2020, 09:03 PM
I liked the book when I read it as a kid; I loved it when I re-read it this past weekend. Brilliant and timeless insights into baseball, people, fathers and sons, aging, change and our country.

As someone who's collecting the 1956 set, it's cool to get a glimpse of the personalities not only the Dodgers but the players on the other teams. And as one who's dabbled in collecting T206s (and a huge fan of Glory of Their Times), it was interesting to see Hans Lobert make a cameo in the book.

It'd be nice to see some posts of cards of some of the players in the book. Unfortunately, I don't know how to post a picture . . .

Kenny Cole
02-11-2020, 09:30 PM
Great book. All time classic. I will probably have to back and read it now, for probably the 6th or 7th time. RIP Roger.

jchcollins
02-12-2020, 07:46 AM
Aw, just now saw this. Wonderful author. RIP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brian1961
02-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Hey Val, thanks for informing us of Roger's passing, and loading up the Washington POST obituary. This has hit me hard. When I read THE BOYS OF SUMMER in 1972, I was nearly 18, and a passionate fan of the 1936 Yankees and Ted Williams. Reading what can only be described as a masterpiece, that beautiful book served as a catalyst to me becoming deeply interested in the early 50s Dodgers, to go with my burgeoning enchantment with Mickey Mantle.

Two glaring facts I was unaware of were mentioned:

When he had finished writing THE BOYS OF SUMMER, he only had $380 in his bank account!!!!

Roger had to argue hard with his publisher over the title he had given his book, coming as it did from a line in a Dylan Thomas poem. The publisher wanted to name Kahn's book, "THE TEAM"; yuck, bug spit, toe jam!!!!! I'm sure glad Mr. Kahn was able to stand his ground and retain his simple, elegant title that's become a part of the American lexicon.

Just goes to show that the big boss might be gifted at making the big machine work, but his taste for the finer details isn't worth shit.

Roger Kahn, I stand and salute you sir and your memory. You will be missed. RIP, and may the Heavenly Father comfort, console, and help your family.

----Brian Powell

thatkidfromjerrymaguire
02-25-2020, 03:42 PM
As a direct result of this thread, I ordered "Boys of Summer" from Amazon...and I just got notified that it was delivered and it is waiting for me on my front porch

Can't wait to crack it open tonight.

(This is the second time Net54 has gotten me to expand my reading list..."Glory of their Times" was the first.)

whitehse
02-25-2020, 03:48 PM
As a direct result of this thread, I ordered "Boys of Summer" from Amazon...and I just got notified that it was delivered and it is waiting for me on my front porch

Can't wait to crack it open tonight.

(This is the second time Net54 has gotten me to expand my reading list..."Glory of their Times" was the first.)

I did the same thing as a result of this thread but I had it delivered via Kindle and have been enjoying it for the last week. I had forgotten how great of a book this was and it made me nostalgic not only for the 1950's Dodgers but for the early 70's younger me who started reading it before the book got taken away by my mom.