PDA

View Full Version : 1939 Play Ball Sample Cards

paulcarek
02-10-2020, 10:25 AM
I've started working on the '39 PB set, and have noticed that quite a lot of the salesman samples out there appear to be miscut/hand cut. Wondering if anyone can shed light on the production process of these cards. Thanks!

topcat61
02-11-2020, 11:15 AM
I love these cards. They were handed out from #1-115 only and I dont think a whole lot were distributed to dealers.

Leon
02-14-2020, 07:35 AM
I love these cards. They were handed out from #1-115 only and I dont think a whole lot were distributed to dealers.

There were very few dealers in 1939. More like there a few collectors trying to fill holes. "Value" was a no-no back then!
I think there is a better answer to the salesman's samples but I forget what it is. :)

glynparson
02-14-2020, 09:42 AM
I have owned a decent amount over the years and they all had what I believe to have been factory cuts. Entering was standard for playballs. I remember there was a time you seemed to see more dimaggios than any other card with the stamp not sure if that’s still the case I don’t really look anymore. This was early 9os I noticed it back when the cards were much more prevelant than. NOw