PDA

View Full Version : T206 Red Cobb or T206 Red Cobb?

Leon
01-30-2020, 12:35 PM
I picked up what I think might be an upgrade for me but want to get others thoughts too. Which would you choose and why? Of course both look pretty nice but I am biased...Only one will (probably :)) stay.
And remember, I am one who likes big borders.
Sorry for the different size scans... ALso, the 1.5 has some spider wrinkles as can be seen.

bnorth
01-30-2020, 12:52 PM
PSA card all day. The main 2 reasons are I like the background to be dark red, not orangeish. I also like Ty to be looking to the left, not to the right when facing me.

Gobucsmagic74
01-30-2020, 12:55 PM
PSA 1.5 without a doubt. Better color, better image, sharper corners. And with the money you get from selling the SGC 4 you can buy more stuff!

Stampsfan
01-30-2020, 01:24 PM
The 1.5 looks short on both top and bottom in the holder, while the 4 looks like it fits slightly better.

Hard to tell tho when they are not to scale with each other.

Which one measures out larger?

jburl
01-30-2020, 01:28 PM
Tough call. Image/color obviously better on the 1.5, but I'm a sucker for polar bear tobacco stains and reasonably-rounded corners.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BeanTown
01-30-2020, 01:29 PM
If both cards raw, the 350 back one gets my vote as the registry is better. Now, you have to figure out why each card got accessed the grade they did. Especially the PSA card, as I have no trust in them whatsoever when it comes to high dollar cards. If you are sold in bith cards, then go to the more rarer backside to own.

RCMcKenzie
01-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Both are nice examples. I voted for the Polar Bear. You could always start a Red Cobb back-run...Rob

JeremyW
01-30-2020, 02:52 PM
I like the clarity of the Sweet Caporal.

Rhotchkiss
01-30-2020, 02:56 PM
PSA 1.5 looks short. Just sayin.

That said, I will go with the rarer back every day of the week

Leon
01-30-2020, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the responses so far. I don't think either is trimmed and most likely the PB is larger than the Sweet Cap. I don't have the PB in hand yet as I just acquired it (from a reputable seller).
I do like big borders..

https://luckeycards.com/t206x11.jpg

Jstottlemire1
01-30-2020, 03:15 PM
Thanks and appreciated. I’m sure others have said the same but if not put me on the list :) both are great cards!!!

Jstottlemire1
01-30-2020, 03:21 PM
This being said a more rare back, it’s in a better slab both in terms of grade and the black background and as well all know pbs in the pack coming out looking that phenomenal is great. Should be proud to own both.

jcc6252
01-30-2020, 04:12 PM
I'd go with the Sweet Cap, truer red background (as mentioned previously), and better bang for the buck. Leon, I believe you be the Master at spotting low grade gems.

Gobucsmagic74
01-30-2020, 04:20 PM
I find this so interesting. I mean there is literally nothing more appealing about the PB aside from the back and the technical grade. PB backs aren't even particularly rare either. Great sociological study here, particularly for a board whose generic mantra is to buy the card not the grade

TUM301
01-30-2020, 04:29 PM
For me it`s the PSA 1.5 Sweet Cap. Just has an overall sharper appearance than the P Bear. As said would enjoy owning either but if it`s one, the S Cap.

charlietheexterminator
01-30-2020, 05:17 PM
I love that Sweet Caporal 1.5, it stands out strong, the deep red is incredible, the card appearance looks much better than the given grade, isn’t that what we all look for...

CMIZ5290
01-30-2020, 05:25 PM
PSA card all day. The main 2 reasons are I like the background to be dark red, not orangeish. I also like Ty to be looking to the left, not to the right when facing me.

Yes, this also...

SikSyko
01-30-2020, 06:31 PM
I would say the Polar Bear back, but that is because I love those backs.

rats60
01-31-2020, 01:17 AM
I find this so interesting. I mean there is literally nothing more appealing about the PB aside from the back and the technical grade. PB backs aren't even particularly rare either. Great sociological study here, particularly for a board whose generic mantra is to buy the card not the grade

I don't like creases. The creases on the face of the Sweet Cap would drive me crazy. The PB is far more appealing to me if I had to pick one.

DeanH3
01-31-2020, 02:37 AM
I'm a big border guy too. So I'd prefer the PB. The SC is nothing to snicker at. Maybe keep both for now. As you know, you'll have no trouble selling either one if/when.

Ronnie73
01-31-2020, 04:05 AM
I voted Polar Bear. Polar Bears may seem common to some but once you get into the 4 and up grades, they become more difficult. If the Sweet Caporal was a lower population Factory 25, then it would be a much more difficult choice for me.

Jstottlemire1
01-31-2020, 05:28 AM
I voted Polar Bear. Polar Bears may seem common to some but once you get into the 4 and up grades, they become more difficult. If the Sweet Caporal was a lower population Factory 25, then it would be a much more difficult choice for me.

^^^^^spot on

obcmac
01-31-2020, 08:41 AM
I vote PB also. I view the 4 grade as a detriment, not an asset...as the less money I have in, the more I like it. That said, the combination of large borders and natural PB staining give me assurances that the 1.5 doesn't. Both great in any case.

bounce
01-31-2020, 08:41 AM
PB for me - let me know when you're ready to get rid of it :D

Steve D
01-31-2020, 08:55 AM
I like the color and image quality of the PSA card a little better; and I don't really like that light spot just below Ty's neck on the SGC one.

Even with the above, however, I prefer the SGC card, overall, to the PSA one; mainly due to the larger borders. Like you indicated in your post, Leon, I also prefer larger borders; and even if not trimmed, the PSA card's top/bottom borders are a bit too narrow for my taste.

Plus, I really do not like creases.

Steve

orly57
01-31-2020, 09:34 PM
Here is a side by side. I have to say, I like the PSA better (on left). The color, registration, and corners are just better. Leon, you could probably make this pic bigger.

Gobucsmagic74
01-31-2020, 09:59 PM
Here is a side by side. I have to say, I like the PSA better (on left). The color, registration, and corners are just better. Leon, you could probably make this pic bigger.

Agreed. Polar Bear back isn't that special. Sorry, its just not. The aesthetics are so much better on the PSA in pretty much every possible way. No one could possibly deny that without the graded slabs

whelenfan
02-01-2020, 05:32 AM
the side by side pics really bring out the qualities of the PSA card! it does seem to look much better.

Rhotchkiss
02-01-2020, 09:25 AM
Orlando!!! Great to hear from you. How are you?

The side by side pic is helpful. The PSA looks nicer, but it also looks much shorter. Confirming my vote for the bigger borders and rarer back

MVSNYC
02-01-2020, 10:23 AM
PB for sure. The SC is short (not saying trimmed, but annoyingly short), and a diamond cut (which always irritates me).

Leon
02-01-2020, 04:56 PM
Apparently members can't see. They should be graders. The 1.5 is actually larger than most. It isn't short.

bnorth
02-01-2020, 05:26 PM
Apparently members can't see. They should be graders. The 1.5 is actually larger than most. It isn't short.

That PB must be huge. I couldn't get them to line up perfect and the PB scan is about .5 percent smaller and still has noticeably larger borders.

Leon
02-01-2020, 09:00 PM
That PB must be huge. I couldn't get them to line up perfect and the PB scan is about .5 percent smaller and still has noticeably larger borders.

It is huge. That is why I bought it. Kind of like all of the ones I posted. I might just keep both for now :)

luciobar1980
02-03-2020, 09:04 PM
I think the PSA card looks nicer in most respects except that the red seems to have a little haze/white noise sorta stuff going on.

Fred
02-03-2020, 09:43 PM
It is huge. That is why I bought it. Kind of like all of the ones I posted. I might just keep both for now :)

And just how sharp are those scissors? :p

Leon
02-06-2020, 10:03 AM
And just how sharp are those scissors? :p

I could see the 4 getting into a higher holder albeit with a bit less borders. It is safe as long as I own it. :cool:

and thanks to all who commented or voted.

irishdenny
02-06-2020, 10:18 AM
I could see the 4 getting into a higher holder albeit with a bit less borders. It is safe as long as I own it. :cool:

and thanks to all who commented or voted.

Jus Grand!
So it's Settled Then...
Mr Cobb Polar Bear it is!!!

i actually would need to see the Sweet Mr Cobb in hand!
i jus Don't Trust PSA Cards At All ~
Even from San Antonio wit a Ruff Scan,
For me... Mr Cobb's Bottom Left Corner has that "I MiGHT of been Trimmed Look!?"

Polar Bear All Day Long fir me Leon ~