PDA

View Full Version : Had enough of this billion dollar fraud? Do what this guy did.

Buythatcard
01-29-2020, 07:04 AM
I know that I am sickened by the news I hear every day on how our cards have been altered, etc.

We all should have done what this guy did back in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Y4bmbh1KY

mouschi
01-29-2020, 07:22 AM
That was a fun watch of an expensive watch!

icurnmedic
01-29-2020, 07:22 AM
Good watch! Good for that guy!

conor912
01-29-2020, 07:34 AM
Spend a month’s salary on something and be too scared to enjoy it? No thanks :)

bnorth
01-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Cool story, personally I would have worn it.

Buying Rolex watches is more sketchy than buying high end cards in PSA slabs.

packs
01-29-2020, 08:07 AM
When that first edition box of Pokemon cards sold for 60K I wanted to die. I opened up more than a few when I was a kid and all I did with the cards was throw them away when I got to high school.

Jim65
01-29-2020, 08:16 AM
Good for him, I'd put it in an auction immediately

Fuddjcal
01-29-2020, 08:19 AM
I know that I am sickened by the news I hear every day on how our cards have been altered, etc.

We all should have done what this guy did back in 1974.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Y4bmbh1KY

the thought has crossed my mind to buy a Rolex submariner recently even though I don't wear watches anymore.:D

I cheaped out when i graduated college and bought a Joe Montana Concord mariner instead. It's worth less than the 1800 I paid in 1984. It was between that an the rolex which was 500 more. Now I have to pay 30K for the one I want :D

Much like my $75.00 1952 Mickey Mantle that never came in 1975, I had to replace it for 15K....OUCH

Replacing dreams are really expensive. :p

Buythatcard
01-29-2020, 08:36 AM
the thought has crossed my mind to buy a Rolex submariner recently even though I don't wear watches anymore.:D

I cheaped out when i graduated college and bought a Joe Montana Concord mariner instead. It's worth less than the 1800 I paid in 1984. It was between that an the rolex which was 500 more. Now I have to pay 30K for the one I want :D

Much like my $75.00 1952 Mickey Mantle that never came in 1975, I had to replace it for 15K....OUCH

Yes, replacing dreams are expensive today. But today's dreams may be tomorrow's fortunes.

Leon
01-29-2020, 08:39 AM
I bought my stainless and gold Rolex 30 yrs ago, used for 2k. Today it is worth about that much. Not that bad of a buy for 30 yrs of use (and counting) for free. I still like to wear my watch. But then again I still have a landline too. :eek:

bnorth
01-29-2020, 09:00 AM

Buy the watch Chuck, nothing wrong with man jewelry.:D

I wear a Rolex no-date submariner everyday and actually use the manual timer on it all the time. Way easier to turn the bezel than use the timer on my phone.

iowadoc77
01-29-2020, 10:58 AM
Buy the watch Chuck, nothing wrong with man jewelry.:D

I wear a Rolex no-date submariner everyday and actually use the manual timer on it all the time. Way easier to turn the bezel than use the timer on my phone.

I am with you Ben
Rolex stainless Submariner with date. My everyday watch for almost 12 years. Love it. Classic design. Has appreciated in value but it isn't going anywhere. I love watches. The intricacies are incredible. Such craftsmanship. I hate the smartwatch that i have unless I need a heart rate monitor, then it works ok.

brian1961
01-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Occasionally, I will wear my Dad's Enicar Sherpagraph Chronograph, a magnificent stainless watch produced in the late 1950s. That beauty sports the three little dials of hours, minutes, and seconds. All symmetrically arranged, it is a joy to gaze at every time. Only the finer watches offered something that exotic, several decades before the feature became commonplace. To be sure, a fine men's watch is a timeless piece of jewelry.;) --- Brian Powell

ullmandds
01-29-2020, 11:04 AM
Cool Story!!!!! I love the roadshow! And some Rolexes and other watches have proven to be excellent investments over the years!

I treated myself to an older rolex explorer II when the new...larger models came out. I liked the 40mm as compared to the newer larger model as well as understated look on the older one. The explorer II has the same movement as the much more expensive GMT...additionally I chose a late run model with the parachrom spring and the slightly newer 3186 movement.

Mine has appreciated more than 50% since purchase...but more importantly I love wearing it!!!

botport
01-29-2020, 09:13 PM
Cool watch and story. Thanks for posting.

toledo_mudhen
01-30-2020, 03:21 AM
Saw this on the News last nite but only about 30 seconds of it.

So happy for this guy - He ended up doing back in 71 what I was 4 years to young to have to do. By 1975 when I turned 18 the war had about wound down and I was classified in the draft as "Student" - so never ended up getting drafted.

Good for him - Great Story & Post!

glynparson
01-30-2020, 04:07 AM
Yeah because there is zero fraud in the Rolex market. Some of you guys say some funny shit sometimes.

Exhibitman
01-30-2020, 06:09 AM
Did anyone catch the boxing cards segment of that show. The moron passing for an expert (Grant Zahalko?) didn’t know the basics about the cards themselves (he labeled a basic Dana PC of Jeffries as a one of a kind item) and estimated them at several times actual value. Please show me where I can sell my Jack Johnson PCs for a thousand bucks each and definitely where I can get $500 for a Dana Jim Jeffries: it ain’t planet earth.

bnorth
01-30-2020, 07:33 AM
Yeah because there is zero fraud in the Rolex market. Some of you guys say some funny shit sometimes.

I covered that in post #5. I noted they are sketchier than buying a PSA graded card.

With buying either you have to do a ton of research and inspect carefully in hand while having a LOT of knowledge. Still there is a good chance with either there is fraud going on.

jchcollins
01-30-2020, 08:19 AM
I have an Apple Watch, but my other go-to timepiece is my Dad’s 1969 Bulova Accutron 218 Spaceview. It was the watch on his wrist the day he married my Mom, and was a high school graduation present to me. The perpetual sweep second hand is the result of a tuning fork movement, which at least at the time when they came out - was supposedly the most accurate watch in the world. The Accutron movements were the panel clocks in Apollo spacecraft modules. Vintage cards and vintage watches...oy, I did not inherit a love for cheap things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leon
02-02-2020, 07:10 AM
LOL....I am a self proclaimed cheap bastard

I have an Apple Watch, but my other go-to timepiece is my Dad’s 1969 Bulova Accutron 218 Spaceview. It was the watch on his wrist the day he married my Mom, and was a high school graduation present to me. The perpetual sweep second hand is the result of a tuning fork movement, which at least at the time when they came out - was supposedly the most accurate watch in the world. The Accutron movements were the panel clocks in Apollo spacecraft modules. Vintage cards and vintage watches...oy, I did not inherit a love for cheap things.

Aquarian Sports Cards
02-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Did anyone catch the boxing cards segment of that show. The moron passing for an expert (Grant Zahalko?) didn’t know the basics about the cards themselves (he labeled a basic Dana PC of Jeffries as a one of a kind item) and estimated them at several times actual value. Please show me where I can sell my Jack Johnson PCs for a thousand bucks each and definitely where I can get $500 for a Dana Jim Jeffries: it ain’t planet earth.

Zahajko, he runs sports auctions, but doesn't really specialize in them. Guys who actually know boxing are few and far between! I know more than most and I don't know a ton.

Exhibitman
02-02-2020, 03:47 PM
Zahajko, he runs sports auctions, but doesn't really specialize in them. Guys who actually know boxing are few and far between! I know more than most and I don't know a ton.

And yet they put them on TV to misinform the public. That poor guy who has the cards, he is going to be so disappointed when he tries to sell them.

jchcollins
02-05-2020, 06:21 AM
LOL....I am a self proclaimed cheap bastard

Uh, I’ve seen some of the cards you own...[emoji3]