PDA

View Full Version : Rip- kobe bryant

mantleman
01-26-2020, 12:47 PM
Wtf just happened, I hope this isn't true! . Apparently KOBE BRYANT was killed in a helicopter crash in Calabasas.

milkit1
01-26-2020, 12:54 PM
yeah the report so far seems to be coming from TMZ that 4 people including Kobe Bryant were killed. A few news outlets are sharing TMZ's report.

rjackson44
01-26-2020, 12:56 PM
Omg its true im stunned

wdwfan
01-26-2020, 01:10 PM
This is so very, very sad. I didn't know if anyone would post here since it's a vintage only site. But glad someone did. It's so incredibly sad.

Santo10Fan
01-26-2020, 01:14 PM
His youngest was born in June, terrible news. I'm lucky to still have my father around, need to give him a call today.

Yankees1964
01-26-2020, 01:19 PM
Sad day. Saw him first play in 1995 against my hometown high school in the state semi finals. Incredible talent even then. Godspeed Kobe.

perezfan
01-26-2020, 01:24 PM
RIP Kobe...

You were amazing and inspirational. :(

samosa4u
01-26-2020, 02:06 PM
OMG! I can't believe it!!

Fuddjcal
01-26-2020, 02:07 PM
along with his daughter Gianna 13, heading to her basketball practice in Thousand Oaks. Thanks for the memories Kobe. OUCH!

thetruthisoutthere
01-26-2020, 02:18 PM
RIP to Kobe and the other passengers.

Condolences to their families.

Not much you can do about this except grieve and pray, but what disgusts me are sellers that take advantage of this.

Below are screenshots of sellers of Kobe's forged/counterfeit "2000 Ovation" card.

This is truly disgusting.

Ebay seller Bc-jack has already sold 9 of these just in the past hour along with another seller of forged/counterfeit cards Ebay seller Daniecarchi_0.

Shoeless Moe
01-26-2020, 02:26 PM
Yep, noticed several Buy It Now items with "Revisions" and when you click its the Price that is being revised.

Same thing though happened with Halladay and Jose Fernandez.

thetruthisoutthere
01-26-2020, 02:42 PM
Yep, noticed several Buy It Now items with "Revisions" and when you click its the Price that is being revised.

The cards I posted above are the forged/counterfeit version of that card.

These are disgusting people.

CMIZ5290
01-26-2020, 03:51 PM
It sure as Hell didn't take long for the vultures to circle.... The three best players I have ever seen that can score at will.... Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Pete Maravich....There you have it

yanks12025
01-26-2020, 04:24 PM

I was paying attention to the signed books.. One seller changed his 2 book listings from $190 to $750 to $1,000. One sold at $750 and another sold for $1,000. Then another one popped up for $1,000 and $1,500, so curious if he cancelled the $750 sale to make more profit.

Another seller had multiple books for sale and ended them. 10 minutes later relisted them with $750 prices.

I understand these people own these items and have every right to sell them. Just think its messed up to profit from someones death so quick when their body is still warm. That just seems wrong, at least give it a week or 2.

Touch'EmAll
01-26-2020, 05:14 PM
Omg, can hardly believe it! Feel awful, Kobe and daughter and others.

Exhibitman
01-26-2020, 06:04 PM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/aeda5d2d46ed9370765dbaee1d2cb912/tenor.gif?itemid=12063950

Fred
01-26-2020, 06:36 PM
Sad, it looks like one of his daughters was also lost in the accident. I understand using a helicopter as a mode of transportation if you can afford it, but if what the news is saying about the destination (going from Calabasas to Thousand Oaks - about 15 miles by road), then I just don't get it. Why take a chopper if it's only going to save a very little bit of time. I get it if it was about 50 miles and you're Kobe Bryant (and you can afford it), but about 15 miles by road - why take the risk? Totally sad.

h2oya311
01-26-2020, 07:03 PM
I don’t know this for a fact, but I would guess that driving in LA is more dangerous than flying a helicopter.

Also,15 miles can take a boatload of time in LA. But on a Sunday, perhaps not.

Rich Klein
01-26-2020, 07:24 PM
1) I penned a column when Tyler Skaggs passed. I do realize the differences in their careers but many of the points are the same.

https://gogts.net/kleins-korner-how-can-we-deal-with-loss-in-the-hobby/

2) What a wonderful tribute (among many) in tonight's Knicks game:

https://twitter.com/nyknicks/status/1221583158761660416/video/1

Regards
Rich

ullmandds
01-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Sooo Sad. RIP Kobe and family. Not many superstars are so likable as Kobe seemed to be.

commishbob
01-26-2020, 07:46 PM
Former University of Houston baseballer John Altobelli was aboard along with his wife and daughter. His daughter played on the hoops team Kobe coached I believe.

Kenny Cole
01-26-2020, 08:10 PM
It is really hard to process this. My niece used to play soccer against GG and Kobe was always there. Just a tragic, awful day. RIP Kobe, GG and the others involved in this tragedy, and prayers go out to and for the families. How terribly sad.

oldjudge
01-26-2020, 09:50 PM
My wife and I saw Kobe many times at Sparks games, always with Gianna. They would have such big smiles like they couldn’t have been happier to be there and be together. Despite that, he was very generous with his time for fans who came by for pictures and just to say hello. I don’t recall ever seeing a star as big as Kobe (and there aren’t many) who was as nice as he was. If there is a heaven he will surely be there.

rats60
01-26-2020, 10:38 PM
Sad, it looks like one of his daughters was also lost in the accident. I understand using a helicopter as a mode of transportation if you can afford it, but if what the news is saying about the destination (going from Calabasas to Thousand Oaks - about 15 miles by road), then I just don't get it. Why take a chopper if it's only going to save a very little bit of time. I get it if it was about 50 miles and you're Kobe Bryant (and you can afford it), but about 15 miles by road - why take the risk? Totally sad.

He lives in Newport Beach. It is about 90 miles to his Sports Academy. The helicopter crashed in Calabasas. He also has issues with riding in a car for long periods of time and has taken a helicopter to games for much of his career.

SmokyBurgess
01-27-2020, 04:28 AM
Very tragic indeed. Prayers for his family.

Always reminded of this verse when events like this happen:

Hebrews 9:27

PowderedH2O
01-27-2020, 06:21 AM
An absolute tragedy for all nine and their families.

I will disagree with those that criticize the raising of prices for Kobe signed material. When Baines made the HOF prices for Baines rookies went up. When Michael Jackson died, $2 Thriller LP's sold for $100. If you are a business person and have a Kobe related item to sell, now is when you will get your best price. It isn't like raising the price on water during a hurricane or life saving medicine. It is a sports collectible. I don't blame sellers for raising prices at all. Now, if you sold an item for $175 on Saturday then cancelled the order to make more money, then that is a deceitful business practice. But, to raise the price to what the market allows seems like a sound business strategy to me, distasteful as the timing may appear.

GeoPoto
01-27-2020, 06:49 AM
Anybody recoiling in horror at the insensitivity of price increases effected in the wake of Kobe's tragedy remind me of the old spinster who called the LAPD to complain about the neighbors who were sunbathing nude. When the officers arrived and pointed out to the woman that the neighbors had a 20-foot fence surrounding their pool and it seemed hard to understand how the woman could see anything offensive, she quickly countered: "Oh no, if I go up in the attic and stand on a chair, I can see them quite clearly from the highest window."

1952boyntoncollector
01-27-2020, 08:23 AM

I will disagree with those that criticize the raising of prices for Kobe signed material. When Baines made the HOF prices for Baines rookies went up. When Michael Jackson died, $2 Thriller LP's sold for $100. If you are a business person and have a Kobe related item to sell, now is when you will get your best price. It isn't like raising the price on water during a hurricane or life saving medicine. It is a sports collectible. I don't blame sellers for raising prices at all. Now, if you sold an item for $175 on Saturday then cancelled the order to make more money, then that is a deceitful business practice. But, to raise the price to what the market allows seems like a sound business strategy to me, distasteful as the timing may appear.

right if an auction were held today on an item is a seller supposed to stop the sale because the sale price is much higher today versus in the past?

I brought this up on jose fernandez....and now again on Bryant.....there could be lawsuits brought against him...there were others on board..one a former coach of jeff mcneil...

conor912
01-27-2020, 08:37 AM

I tend to agree. That’s capitalism. The profiting isn’t hurting anyone. Go to eBay and search Kobe Bryant:sold items.....the list from the last 24 hours is virtually endless.

PowderedH2O
01-27-2020, 09:01 AM
I bought a graded Panini signed card in September for $150. I thought it was high, but I thought it would be unattainable later in 2020 when he went into the Hall of Fame. I could sell it for over a thousand now. Not a chance. I loved watching that man hoop.

steve B
01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Interesting thing the Celtics and Pelicans did

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-celtics-pelicans-shot-clock-violations?fbclid=IwAR1Iep6Th4TRMOjcPc0ffbWIfcoy_F 1ygvmS3Ea1VW94mgIa_ltHRqaMXHk

yanksfan09
01-27-2020, 12:01 PM
RIP, awful news for all families involved especially with the children.

Gobucsmagic74
01-27-2020, 12:07 PM
Interesting thing the Celtics and Pelicans did

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-celtics-pelicans-shot-clock-violations?fbclid=IwAR1Iep6Th4TRMOjcPc0ffbWIfcoy_F 1ygvmS3Ea1VW94mgIa_ltHRqaMXHk

LA Clippers and Orlando Magic did the same thing a half hour earlier only the Clippers took a 24 sec violation and the Magic took and 8 sec backcourt violation. He wore both numbers

Eric72
01-27-2020, 12:32 PM
right if an auction were held today on an item is a seller supposed to stop the sale because the sale price is much higher today versus in the past?

I brought this up on jose fernandez....and now again on Bryant.....there could be lawsuits brought against him...there were others on board..one a former coach of jeff mcneil...

There could be lawsuits against Bryant? Care to elaborate?

1952boyntoncollector
01-27-2020, 01:11 PM
There could be lawsuits against Bryant? Care to elaborate?

could be could be not but its an issue

if he was the owner of the helicopter in some capacity his estate could be liable for the actions of the pilot if the pilot was at fault for the accident for example..there are plenty of other ways as well ..

GasHouseGang
01-27-2020, 02:30 PM
How about we change the direction this thread has taken, and make it more of a celebration of Kobe. Here are a few of his cards.

the 'stache
01-27-2020, 07:29 PM
It sure as Hell didn't take long for the vultures to circle.... The three best players I have ever seen that can score at will.... Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Pete Maravich....There you have it

Kevin, if you were to ask 100 current NBA fans who Pete Maravich was, how many of them do you think would even recognize his name? Beyond simple name recognition, how many would know what he did in the NBA, or how thoroughly he dominated in the NCAA?

One of the reasons I love Net54-one of many-is that there's a real knowledge of, and appreciation for the histories of the games behind the cards. Not everyone that collects vintage and pre-WWII baseball cards loves today's game. And, I can't say I'd blame them if they couldn't get into Major League Baseball as it exists in he year 2020, after multiple strikes, ridiculous player salaries, the scandals (steroids, sign stealing), etc. But these collectors can talk about the golden era at great length.

I'm somewhere in between. I still enjoy today's game quite a bit, but it doesn't resonate with me quite as much as it used to. I'm going to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings for the first time in four years, and see if I can't rediscover the passion for the modern game.

Regardless of the level of affinity our members feel for the games as they're played today, they know the past very well. I can come here and start talking about Maravich, Jerry West, or John Havlicek, and people are going to have rich memories of seeing these guys in person. When I go to a post by the NBA on Facebook, something about the current New York Knicks, for example, and the "die hard, lifelong Knicks fans" don't know who Willis Reed is, I want to shoot myself in the head. Earl "the Pearl" Monroe, Walt Frazier..."oh, I've heard of them."

It's as if the game, and the team didn't exist before Patrick Ewing. So many "fans" just dismiss any era that happened before they were born.

There are precious few places left where I can intelligently discuss the past. Net54 allows me to indulge my love of collectibles and sports history. Leon provides us with the virtual sports bar. It's all of you that make the conversation stimulating.

the 'stache
01-27-2020, 08:01 PM
Regarding Kobe, he's simply one of the most dynamic players I've ever seen, and not just in basketball. I remember how good he was at such a young age. It was frightening, really. You saw glimpses of what he'd become even in that first year of 1996-'97. He wasn't playing a lot of minutes, but he did...things...that just made my jaw drop. And 17.6 points per 36 minutes at age 18 is impressive as heck. His explosiveness was absurd. He was so smooth. I think most of us that saw him from the start would say that he exceeded even our wildest expectations.

Remember back when Shaq left the Lakers, how so many chalked his Kobe's rings to Shaq's presence? He won two more without O'Neal. He was great in his own right, and that whole narrative seems downright silly now.

While I can't forget what he was accused of (and I won't talk about it here, as it's inappropriate), I think Kobe genuinely did a lot of good. A hell of a lot. I read about what he did to help the homeless in Los Angeles. The philanthropic foundation he set up with his wife Vanessa. I learned how Kobe would travel back and forth to China to help kids with their education, and encouraged those kids to learn the benefits of teamwork on the court as a metaphor for life. The Kobe Bryant China Fund, and his efforts to promote Chinese culture in America. By all accounts, he was a fantastic father. He mentored countless players coming into the league.

He used helicopters with great frequency as doing so allowed him to spend more time with his girls. That he and his daughter Gianna (and the seven others on board) died en route to one of her basketball games is just...let's just say the universe can sometimes be very cruel.

When he's inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, I don't think there will be a dry eye in the place, or among those watching from home, myself included.

PowderedH2O
01-27-2020, 08:03 PM
Bill, ironic that you should post this today. I am a high school teacher. We just started the new semester less than a week ago, so I am just getting to know the students. In my 4th period class I ended up having a 15 minute discussion with two 16 year old boys that had completed their work. It was on basketball history. They knew all about Maravich, Wilt, Oscar, etc. I was very impressed. Now, do they know that next level of star? I have no idea. I have so many memories, like going to my first NBA game as a kid and watching Bob Love torch the New Orleans Jazz.

I went to Pete's camp as a kid and still have the camp photo with all of us signed by him. He would show us trick shots and it was insane. Just like Kobe's passing, I was just devastated when he died at 40 years old.

hcv123
01-27-2020, 08:05 PM
How about we change the direction this thread has taken, and make it more of a celebration of Kobe. Here are a few of his cards.

While Basketball is my favorite sport (MJ my favorite all time player), I never really got into Kobe. That said, MUCH respect, appreciation and props for the legendary player that he was and even more respect and props for the ability to transform into Kobe the business and family man!

So while I have no cards to post, I will re-post yours and join you in wanting to move this thread in a more positive direction.

JollyElm
01-27-2020, 09:29 PM
I went to Pete's camp as a kid and still have the camp photo with all of us signed by him. He would show us trick shots and it was insane. Just like Kobe's passing, I was just devastated when he died at 40 years old.

Was this at the Kutsher's (Borsch Belt) resort in upstate New York?? Or were there other Pistol Pete camps? My brothers, friends and I went a couple of years in a row and my Dad was one of the (non-NBA player) instructors.

MULLINS5
01-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Can't blame people for raising their prices when most are buying low to flip. Those are the worthless losers.

the 'stache
01-27-2020, 10:15 PM
Bill, ironic that you should post this today. I am a high school teacher. We just started the new semester less than a week ago, so I am just getting to know the students. In my 4th period class I ended up having a 15 minute discussion with two 16 year old boys that had completed their work. It was on basketball history. They knew all about Maravich, Wilt, Oscar, etc. I was very impressed. Now, do they know that next level of star? I have no idea. I have so many memories, like going to my first NBA game as a kid and watching Bob Love torch the New Orleans Jazz.

Color me pleasantly surprised about their knowledge. That's great to hear, and very encouraging.

I'm sitting here watching some Pistol Pete highlights on YouTube. He had remarkable court vision, didn't he? He just instinctively knew where everyone was, all the time. Some of his passes just made the guys on the other team look foolish, and these were the best in the world. It's as if the ball just did his bidding. Underhanded, full court pass? No problem. Behind the back pass....to himself, followed by a no look, between the legs pass? Pfft, you can't do that? And he had remarkable hang time. He could jump, and delay the ball release, so whoever was defending him had already committed. This one video I watched showed him at the All Star game making these crazy passes to Dr. J. My God, lol. I just wish his career hadn't been wasted on so many bad teams. He was traded to the Celtics for part of his final year. Of course, the year after he retires, Boston wins the NBA Championship. :rolleyes:

My earliest NBA memories came at the old Mecca Arena in Milwaukee. The Bucks were real good, back then, but not Lew Alcindor and Oscar Robertson good. I was born about five months after the Bucks won the NBA Championship. I'm still waiting for our next one. I've never seen a parade down Wisconsin Avenue in Milwaukee. I hope the Bucks can do it this year.

I grew up watching Marques Johnson at first. He was a pretty good player, coming from John Wooden's UCLA dynasty. Then, it was Sidney Moncrief, Terry Cummings, Jack Sikma. Lots of talent on that team, and Don Nelson was our Head Coach. Between the 1979-'80 season, and the 1986-'87 season, the Bucks averaged 54 wins a season. It was our misfortune that the Bucks were in a stacked Eastern Conference. Back then, first it was Dr. J and the Sixers ending our seasons in the playoffs. Then, it was Larry Bird and the Celtics. And before long, "oh, look, here comes the Bulls with this kid from UNC named Jordan." :eek: It just never let up.

1952boyntoncollector
01-27-2020, 10:22 PM
Regarding Kobe, he's simply one of the most dynamic players I've ever seen, and not just in basketball. I remember how good he was at such a young age. It was frightening, really. You saw glimpses of what he'd become even in that first year of 1996-'97. He wasn't playing a lot of minutes, but he did...things...that just made my jaw drop. And 17.6 points per 36 minutes at age 18 is impressive as heck. His explosiveness was absurd. He was so smooth. I think most of us that saw him from the start would say that he exceeded even our wildest expectations.

Remember back when Shaq left the Lakers, how so many chalked his Kobe's rings to Shaq's presence? He won two more without O'Neal. He was great in his own right, and that whole narrative seems downright silly now.

While I can't forget what he was accused of (and I won't talk about it here, as it's inappropriate), I think Kobe genuinely did a lot of good. A hell of a lot. I read about what he did to help the homeless in Los Angeles. The philanthropic foundation he set up with his wife Vanessa. I learned how Kobe would travel back and forth to China to help kids with their education, and encouraged those kids to learn the benefits of teamwork on the court as a metaphor for life. The Kobe Bryant China Fund, and his efforts to promote Chinese culture in America. By all accounts, he was a fantastic father. He mentored countless players coming into the league.

He used helicopters with great frequency as doing so allowed him to spend more time with his girls. That he and his daughter Gianna (and the seven others on board) died en route to one of her basketball games is just...let's just say the universe can sometimes be very cruel.

When he's inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame, I don't think there will be a dry eye in the place, or among those watching from home, myself included.

I dont think you can can just gloss over what he was accused of in the context of everyone saying he was a great husband...and its a bit of a disservice to the victim that he apologized too especially in this Me too age..

however he did appear to take a lot of of positive steps and was on the way for bigger and better things... basketball wise people forget about the issue of high school to NBA..i think jermaine o'neal also came out that year as well....

the 'stache
01-27-2020, 11:31 PM
I dont think you can can just gloss over what he was accused of in the context of everyone saying he was a great husband...and its a bit of a disservice to the victim that he apologized too especially in this Me too age..

however he did appear to take a lot of of positive steps and was on the way for bigger and better things... basketball wise people forget about the issue of high school to NBA..i think jermaine o'neal also came out that year as well....

Who was glossing over what he did? I certainly wasn't. I merely stated that I wasn't going to talk about it here. I don't believe in badmouthing the dead. Everybody knows what he was accused of. This isn't the time or place to drag it up.

And I didn't say he was a great husband. I said he was a great father. Others may have, but please don't include me with them.

Mark17
01-28-2020, 12:38 AM
Can't blame people for raising their prices when most are buying low to flip. Those are the worthless losers.

People who buy things low hoping to sell them high are "worthless losers?"

If you had a stock broker who advised you, and his recommendations helped give you a nice return, would you call him a "worthless loser" and fire him?

Or would you be happy when YOU buy low and sell high?

the 'stache
01-28-2020, 02:09 AM
People who buy things low hoping to sell them high are "worthless losers?"

If you had a stock broker who advised you, and his recommendations helped give you a nice return, would you call him a "worthless loser" and fire him?

Or would you be happy when YOU buy low and sell high?

Good post, Mark. As a former stockbroker, I would hope not. :p

After someone like Bryant dies, it's only natural for fans to want a tangible piece their career (especially when they're athletes), be it a jersey he wore, or a card he autographed. That's because human beings are sentimental creatures. Demand goes up. The supply won't increase all that much, unless someone who didn't have their items for sale puts them on Ebay immediately after Bryant's death (darned opportunists!) So, given the increase demand, shouldn't the items available command a premium? You can buy now, and pay more, or, you can wait, and see what happens, knowing you might miss out on the very best items, altogether.

If a seller raises their item's price, and a buyer pays the price they ask, what's the problem? The seller has made a profit. The buyer has what they wanted, at a price they were willing to pay. Nobody held a gun to their head. They could have waited, no? And while we demonize the seller for raising the price-who's to say that the seller isn't also sentimental? Maybe they would have kept it if they could, and they're selling the item(s) to pay for something like their kid's medical bills, or helping a family member out. Don't be so quick to assume that a seller raising their price is doing so out of pure greed. I've helped friends out in a tight jam before, and one of the ways I did so was to sell a few cards. They never knew how I got the money, but I asked what I felt was a fair price, and got it. The money never went in my pocket.

This will sound cold, but it's true: Kobe won't be any less dead a month from now when prices will normalize some. In two months, I would expect the market to return closer to the mean, or average price. Three months, closer still, if not all the way back. You can still be "a part of Black Mamba's career", owning a fat, overpriced 1/1 shiny card with his sticker auto, and jock strap tag in two months, and likely pay less to acquire it. That's economics.

I'm a movie collector. I'm on disability, and have been for ten years, permanent disability for about the last seven. I build my film collection for two reasons: one, I love film, and my collection keeps me entertained while I'm in bed almost 24/7. Secondly, and equally important, because my plan is to write about film (and sports) for a living, as I try to get off disability, and pay my own way again. There's nothing worse than having to rely on the government to survive, even though I worked my nuts off, and paid into the system.

I have x amount of dollars to spend on my collection every month. I can pay $20 + tax for a movie when it comes out on blu-ray. Or, if I wait, I can get the same film for less in a few months. I know when all the sales are each year, for each major label (Warner Bros, Fox, MGM, Disney) and boutique label (Criterion, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, Warner Archive, and in England, Eurkea, Arrow Films, etc). I have much of what I'm going to buy plotted out months in advance. Some of the films I buy have limited print runs, like Twilight Time, a boutique label that typically does just 3,000 copies on blu-ray. They keep their licensing fees down by doing a smaller run. Occasionally, when demand outpaces supply, they might negotiate a second print run. If I wait a while after release, I might get it at a lower price. If the demand is high, I might miss out on it completely, or, be forced to pay a scalper $100 for a film that sold for $30. Or, I can hope the film was released on blu-ray in another part of the world, and import it from them. That's capitalism in a nut shell. Everything has a cost, and it's driven by demand. I don't think seeking a profit on an item, be it on a Kobe card, or a film with a low print run, is wrong. Again, nobody is forcing the consumer to buy it. I could always get my film on DVD which has no advertised print run. The quality is lesser (480p vs 1080p), but you pay for quality. It's up to each person to determine what they want, and what they're willing to comfortably pay.

Mark17
01-28-2020, 03:27 AM
Over the past year I've visited Bud Grant a few times to get some things signed. He's 92 years old, still as quick-witted as anyone I know, and he has a great sense of humor. Last time I was at his house, he was signing some of my Metropolitan Stadium seats. We were having a pleasant conversation as usual, and about halfway through he paused and said, "I suppose these will be worth more after I die."

I replied, "Yes. So.... how are you feeling?"

1952boyntoncollector
01-28-2020, 05:54 AM
Who was glossing over what he did? I certainly wasn't. I merely stated that I wasn't going to talk about it here. I don't believe in badmouthing the dead. Everybody knows what he was accused of. This isn't the time or place to drag it up.

And I didn't say he was a great husband. I said he was a great father. Others may have, but please don't include me with them.

Right, there are many in the media saying he was a great husband. I am not badmouthing , i am correcting the media version. If no one said anything, i wouldnt be bringing up any negative issues.

I do think however, being a great father when you are married and living together with your wife also involves being a good husband which is the example you are setting to your kids as father as well so they are not mutually exclusive..

samosa4u
01-28-2020, 10:01 AM
I'm not surprised to see Pistol Pete's name being thrown around a lot now. Both he and Kobe were almost the same age when they passed; they were both amazing players who played as guards, and most importantly, they both loved helping others.

Now I'm not trying to take anything away from Kobe here, but he was lucky to have played for an organization that always wants to win.

What would have happened if the Pistol had played for the Lakers? Just think of a backcourt consisting of him and Jerry West - wow! And he would have been passing the ball to guys like Wilt Chamberlain and a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Instead, he ended up on crappy teams and now you don't hear about him much.

1952boyntoncollector
01-28-2020, 10:21 AM
I'm not surprised to see Pistol Pete's name being thrown around a lot now. Both he and Kobe were almost the same age when they passed; they were both amazing players who played as guards, and most importantly, they both loved helping others.

Now I'm not trying to take anything away from Kobe here, but he was lucky to have played for an organization that always wants to win.

What would have happened if the Pistol had played for the Lakers? Just think of a backcourt consisting of him and Jerry West - wow! And he would have been passing the ball to guys like Wilt Chamberlain and a young Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Instead, he ended up on crappy teams and now you don't hear about him much.

The what would of happened argument to me doesnt hold merit. Having the opportunity and coming through is always going to be higher than someone who never had the opportunity. Its an unknown versus a known. Is what it is, life isnt fair. There have been great players on great teams that dont win...... cant hold someone down for coming through when given the opportunity to the level of someone that 'what would have happened if'

CMIZ5290
01-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Leave it to you to bring up something like this during a very tragic event....

GasHouseGang
01-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Well, since I can't get anyone else to do it, I'll add a few more of Kobe's cards to keep this a celebration of Kobe. Here are some of his rookie cards.

CMIZ5290
01-28-2020, 04:29 PM
Well, since I can't get anyone else to do it, I'll add a few more of Kobe's cards to keep this a celebration of Kobe. Here are some of his rookie cards.

Do you own these cards David?

GasHouseGang
01-28-2020, 04:33 PM
Do you own these cards David?

Yes. I started collecting the Kobe rookies several years ago.

PowderedH2O
01-28-2020, 05:56 PM
Was this at the Kutsher's (Borsch Belt) resort in upstate New York?? Or were there other Pistol Pete camps? My brothers, friends and I went a couple of years in a row and my Dad was one of the (non-NBA player) instructors.

1976 at the University of New Orleans campus. Sponsored by Pepsi. All the Pepsi you could drink. I was a kid. I probably drank six a day.

1952boyntoncollector
01-29-2020, 06:49 AM
Leave it to you to bring up something like this during a very tragic event....

leave it to you to make that comment....and lets not pretend your comment on this is not related to a very recent failed deal in which i made you a reasonable offer (i think you will agree to that as you changed the price to within a few percent of my offer for the whole board to see a week later or so) that you turned down and you stated that you would no longer email me in not a nice way......i guess you will still leave comments on all my posts now... i hope thats not how you operate (failed deal equals make negative posts to buyer) I will not get into more specifics on how it went down and we can leave it at that.

CMIZ5290
01-29-2020, 04:08 PM
leave it to you to make that comment....and lets not pretend your comment on this is not related to a very recent failed deal in which i made you a reasonable offer (i think you will agree to that as you changed the price to within a few percent of my offer for the whole board to see a week later or so) that you turned down and you stated that you would no longer email me in not a nice way......i guess you will still leave comments on all my posts now... i hope thats not how you operate (failed deal equals make negative posts to buyer) I will not get into more specifics on how it went down and we can leave it at that.

You really are a moron....Let's leave that at that.....This has nothing to do with a deal not completed, just your thoughtless comments on this thread

1952boyntoncollector
01-29-2020, 04:11 PM
You really are a moron....Let's leave that at that.....

pot calling kettle black... .all i can do is respond on the board.(you said not to contact you direct)....plus all i did was make you an offer, and you went nuts...and continue too...

as to kobe..i think the media was thoughtless in reporting and many agree.....they even said that rick fox was on the helicopter at one time... i also think there was a poster here that advised me he never said kobe was a good husband, but many media outlets have said that.....not sure why you would be so negative to my comment.... my issue is not with kobe its the way the media has been reporting the matters.

CMIZ5290
01-29-2020, 04:15 PM

Well said Bill....Keep in mind though that your are responding to an idiot....

CMIZ5290
01-29-2020, 04:16 PM
pot calling kettle black... .all i can do is respond on the board.(you said not to contact you direct)....plus all i did was make you an offer, and you went nuts...and continue too...

as to kobe..i think the media was thoughtless in reporting and many agree.....they even said that rick fox was on the helicopter at one time... i also think there was a poster here that advised me he never said kobe was a good husband, but many media outlets have said that.....not sure why you would be so negative to my comment.... my issue is not with kobe its the way the media has been reporting the matters.

I agreed to your price you dumbass! Where is the paypal? Crickets??

1952boyntoncollector
01-29-2020, 04:19 PM
Well said Bill....Keep in mind though that your are responding to an idiot....

He actually is agreeing with me about my point about being a great husband so unsure what you mean..

you have been warned by Leon in the past on responses to my posts....here we go again

1952boyntoncollector
01-29-2020, 04:21 PM
I agreed to your price you dumbass! Where is the paypal? Crickets??

Now thats untrue (making it sound like we had agreement and you just waiting for paypal) So i made an offer and you accepted? When you say no, that means you are a liar. If you say that happened ..show the board the emails to prove me wrong, you have my permission to show all the emails..

All i did was make you an offer which you rejected and implied was waaay too low and than later after asking the board and who knows where else if they would pay what i offered, you then came back to me...

GasHouseGang
01-31-2020, 09:55 AM
Saw this story on the web today. Thought it was pretty amazing. You can see the video at https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/us/kobe-bryant-grass-mural-trnd/index.html

Tributes and murals of the late Kobe Bryant have been popping up all around the world. But one created by a California couple can only be seen from the sky.

Using the Turfprinter technology from their company, New Ground Technology, Kelli Pearson and her husband, Pete Davis, created a 115-foot tall and 92-foot wide mural of Bryant in a grass field at a park in Pleasanton.
Pearson first created a black and white image of Bryant using several pictures.
"The face was from two different photos, the neck was from a different photo and the body was from a different photo. It ends up creating an artwork piece," Pearson said. "I tried to capture him, the likeness of him smiling and as an athlete."
The image was then loaded into a lawn mower-type machine that Davis moved around the field. With the help of GPS and digital processing, the machine blows air to gently bend the grass away or toward you to make up the dark and light contrast, according to Davis.

For the couple, who said they are big Kobe fans, the decision to create the mural was only natural.
"This tragedy came as a huge surprise. He was an amazing person, amazing family man and an amazing athlete," Pearson said. "Fortunately, we have this technology that allows us to do this huge tribute."
The mural will last for about two days before the grass returns to its normal position, but the couple is hoping the tribute will create a lasting effect on their community.
"For me, it's a community effort," Davis said. "You feel helpless and there's really nothing more you can do in the situation. But in our space, I did it to represent our community and let the community be a part of this closure."

hcv123
01-31-2020, 10:24 AM
Saw this story on the web today. Thought it was pretty amazing. You can see the video at https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/us/kobe-bryant-grass-mural-trnd/index.html

Tributes and murals of the late Kobe Bryant have been popping up all around the world. But one created by a California couple can only be seen from the sky.

Using the Turfprinter technology from their company, New Ground Technology, Kelli Pearson and her husband, Pete Davis, created a 115-foot tall and 92-foot wide mural of Bryant in a grass field at a park in Pleasanton.
Pearson first created a black and white image of Bryant using several pictures.
"The face was from two different photos, the neck was from a different photo and the body was from a different photo. It ends up creating an artwork piece," Pearson said. "I tried to capture him, the likeness of him smiling and as an athlete."
The image was then loaded into a lawn mower-type machine that Davis moved around the field. With the help of GPS and digital processing, the machine blows air to gently bend the grass away or toward you to make up the dark and light contrast, according to Davis.

For the couple, who said they are big Kobe fans, the decision to create the mural was only natural.
"This tragedy came as a huge surprise. He was an amazing person, amazing family man and an amazing athlete," Pearson said. "Fortunately, we have this technology that allows us to do this huge tribute."
The mural will last for about two days before the grass returns to its normal position, but the couple is hoping the tribute will create a lasting effect on their community.
"For me, it's a community effort," Davis said. "You feel helpless and there's really nothing more you can do in the situation. But in our space, I did it to represent our community and let the community be a part of this closure."

That is freakin insane!!

howard38
01-31-2020, 05:45 PM

1952boyntoncollector
02-01-2020, 02:21 AM
It's also worth wondering what he would have done had there been a three-point shot when he was in his prime. He played only one season w/a three point line & he hit twelve of twenty-one shots as a broken down bench player.

three point shot to me has hurt the game....there were lots of 10th guys on the bench 20 years ago that would now be starters or main subs..just for standing int he corner and hurling 3's..without much of any other game

duncan robinson would not be a starter 20 years ago. craig hodges was deep on the bulls bench back in Jordan's day and now he would get 20 mins a game... i know there is a '3' and 'D' players out there but now there are just '3' and no D players....the 3 point line being worth 50% more than 2 is a huge thing......you cant sit in the paint for 3 seconds....why can you just sit there in on the wings for 24 seconds ..defense cant cover the 3 point line...should be a time limit at least...

CMIZ5290
02-01-2020, 04:58 PM
He actually is agreeing with me about my point about being a great husband so unsure what you mean..

you have been warned by Leon in the past on responses to my posts....here we go again

Leon is the one who gave YOU an infraction for your bullshit on my threads yesterday! Why is that? You have got a mental problem obviously... Should I post the email from Leon this morning you stupid dumbass???? Get a freaking life... LEAVE me alone, dont inquire about my cards, dont email me about anything, Dont PM me about anything....Is that plain enough?

1952boyntoncollector
02-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Leon is the one who gave YOU an infraction for your bullshit on my threads yesterday! Why is that? You have got a mental problem obviously... Should I post the email from Leon this morning you stupid dumbass???? Get a freaking life... LEAVE me alone, dont inquire about my cards, dont email me about anything, Dont PM me about anything....Is that plain enough?

yes you can post that and the message he sent to us today.

samosa4u
02-02-2020, 09:00 AM
This is supposed to be a Kobe Bryant memorial thread. Could you guys post this garbage somewhere else?

Leon
02-02-2020, 09:25 AM
This is supposed to be a Kobe Bryant memorial thread. Could you guys post this garbage somewhere else?

That has been addressed with PMs to both members. Anymore interactions, whatsoever, between the 2, and the first one who says anything gets suspended for a week. That feud on this forum should be over.
Sorry for the distraction on the Kobe thread. It is a real tragedy.

GasHouseGang
02-04-2020, 03:18 PM
Here are some raw Kobe inserts I picked up awhile ago.