PDA

View Full Version : That buyer's (kinda) remorse

cardsagain74
01-24-2020, 05:38 PM
When you get an order. The cards aren't quite what they should be. You feel a bit deceived and probably would've passed if it was at a LCS.

But......

It's not that bad. You then picture the clearly mountainous effort of actually bring up the ebay return fun, repackaging, and (god forbid) going to the post office in the cold rain. Was this really a big enough $ order to bother?

Cause, hey, you still needed the stuff for this or that, and you can likely live with it. But then you remember that if you accept something even somewhat subpar too often, the value you lose will still start to add up. Rationalization lingers.

The curse of being a collector in the net era. How do we bear it....

bnorth
01-24-2020, 05:48 PM
Had it happen WAY too many times to even count. Usually I just add the seller to my list of people I won't buy from again. With very few exceptions stuff does not trump bad sellers.:)

Republicaninmass
01-24-2020, 05:52 PM
Even tainted stuff

Case12
01-24-2020, 06:09 PM
It's like getting a broken toy for Christmas (or a Spanish speaking Turbo Man)....Your gut sinks, and then you try again....

conor912
01-25-2020, 10:51 AM
That’s what grading (ethical/legal issues aside) was supposed to prevent, but the reality is that most flaws on a card can’t be seen well by a scan, slabbed or not.

This has happened to all of us, though I have had many instances where cards have been slightly nicer than I expected, as well. At the end of the day, if we relied solely on in-person buying these days none of us would ever finish any collecting project. So yes, we have to deal with some disappointment sometimes, but IMO it’s better than never finding it at all.

brianp-beme
01-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Just hang onto the card long enough and even that less desirable flawed card will have some value. The below pictured Orange Border Lajoie card I got in a blind auction 20+ years ago came with no description of the staple holes, which are not readily noticed at first glance. I paid a decent amount at the time, and now it is worth a decent amount more, even with its fatal flaw.

The alternative story from my past is an E121 Ty Cobb described as VG that I bought (sans photos) for somewhere around $30 to $35. When it arrived it looked to me like Good at best. Out of principle I returned it.

Still don't have that E121 Cobb card, and the same card would probably cost me 10 to 15 times the amount now.

Brian

Leon
01-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Cardsagain74 - These sentiments you recited below ring so true.

Every decision in life has a shi# to equity ratio. The person I got that saying from was an old sales manager of mine who committed suicide. :(

When you get an order. The cards aren't quite what they should be. You feel a bit deceived and probably would've passed if it was at a LCS.

But......

It's not that bad. You then picture the clearly mountainous effort of actually bring up the ebay return fun, repackaging, and (god forbid) going to the post office in the cold rain. Was this really a big enough $ order to bother?

Cause, hey, you still needed the stuff for this or that, and you can likely live with it. But then you remember that if you accept something even somewhat subpar too often, the value you lose will still start to add up. Rationalization lingers.

The curse of being a collector in the net era. How do we bear it....

cardsagain74
01-28-2020, 04:21 PM
Cardsagain74 - These sentiments you recited below ring so true.

Every decision in life has a shi# to equity ratio. The person I got that saying from was an old sales manager of mine who committed suicide. :(

Thanks. It's nice to have your eloquence appreciated :p

And I agree with his sentiments too. Unfortunately those of us who are too aware of the realistic implications of the odds/upside-to-downside ratio of our decisions are often the ones who rarely stop thinking long enough to enjoy the simple things in life.

It's something I know all too well sometimes, and I fear that may have been part of the fate of your manager in the end.

todeen
01-29-2020, 12:16 AM
Just hang onto the card long enough and even that less desirable flawed card will have some value. The below pictured Orange Border Lajoie card I got in a blind auction 20+ years ago came with no description of the staple holes, which are not readily noticed at first glance. I paid a decent amount at the time, and now it is worth a decent amount more, even with its fatal flaw.

The alternative story from my past is an E121 Ty Cobb described as VG that I bought (sans photos) for somewhere around $30 to $35. When it arrived it looked to me like Good at best. Out of principle I returned it.

Still don't have that E121 Cobb card, and the same card would probably cost me 10 to 15 times the amount now.

Brian+1

I bought a 1934 Butterfinger Premium Babe Ruth. It was in a funky holder in the picture. I paid $150. Couldn't see great detail the way it was shot. When it arrived it became obvious to me it was cracked out of a PSA holder because it was graded Authentic for an obvious trim job... that could have been paper loss in the top left corner. But it didn't affect the actual photo. I was regretting my decision. But then i thought, when will i get this again at this price, with such a frail card? So i kept it. I haven't seen a Butterfinger Ruth that cheap since in the quality condition i have. The remorse went away eventually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

jgannon
01-29-2020, 05:52 AM
Sometimes it's border line, but I say, if you're really not happy with your purchase, return it. I've done this with record albums and baseball cards. Then that money is free for you to re-order what you want in the condition you want it in, or to get something completely different that you'll also be happy with.

conor912
01-29-2020, 08:17 AM
I think it totally depends on what it is. Is a replacement readily available? If yes, return it. Have you been looking for several years? If so, keep it and keep looking. If you find an upgrade, I’m sure someone will happily take the lower grade one off your hands.

I read on this board once: “I’d rather have a hole in my card than a hole in my binder”. :)

brianp-beme
01-29-2020, 10:26 AM
I read on this board once: “I’d rather have a hole in my card than a hole in my binder”. :)

I agree...cards will possibly fall out and get lost or damaged if you have a hole in your binder.

Brian

mintacular
01-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Some times you just have to ask for a partial refund and explain why. If you rcvd something not as described you should not be stuck with the cards at an unfair price

mintacular
01-29-2020, 02:34 PM
This is also why I tend to pay more in person as I can see the condition with my own eyes, I found online sellers tend to overlook condition flaws

Leon
02-01-2020, 05:24 PM
This is also why I tend to pay more in person as I can see the condition with my own eyes, I found online sellers tend to overlook condition flaws
+1....refund policy is a must when buying online.