PDA

View Full Version : Keeping track of taxed purchases - ebay

Case12
01-18-2020, 12:22 PM
I am mostly a buyer. I am in IL. Until this week I only got taxed for purchases from COMC. Today I did my books and everything was taxed, at different rates I might add. It would be nice to know price plus taxes before I buy a product. Even after I buy it doesn't show taxes. I have to wait for the credit card bill to know what was spent. Plus, eBay handles aren't the same as purchase names. I now have to guess which sale goes with which charge. I may buy several cards a week. So I just end up guessing.....any thoughts on how buyers can track exact purchase amount from individual sales on eBay with the new (sorta hidden) taxes?.....

Jobu
01-18-2020, 01:28 PM
The sales tax is based on the state you live in, so it should be the same for every purchase if you live in a state that makes Ebay collect it:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771#section3

To see the tax you paid on something (I don't think there is a way to see it before you buy, but you can calculate it as (sale price + shipping)*tax rate), you can see the exact amount after you have paid by clicking purchase history --> (on the right of the purchase) view order details --> on the right it shows price, shipping, tax, and total.

Case12
01-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Some of my taxes vary. I need to check with COMC. Also, could not find the buttons for showing purchase + price. Will keep looking. Amazon does better with this. Thank you.

steve B
01-18-2020, 01:53 PM
For Mass. , the shipping shouldn't be taxed. That may vary by state.

JollyElm
01-18-2020, 02:36 PM
When I'm paying for something on ebay (usually via paypal or my CC), before I hit 'confirm payment' (or whatever it says), the item price, shipping cost, and tax is all itemized there with a grand total beneath it. That doesn't happen for you, or am I misunderstanding what you're saying/asking?

Case12
01-18-2020, 04:50 PM
Hmm. I use auto PayPal. It may be skipping that step. Thanks.

GeoPoto
01-19-2020, 06:30 AM
[QUOTE=Jobu;1948135]The sales tax is based on the state you live in,/QUOTE]

Better would be: . . . based "on the state it is shipped to (or received in)".

Leon
01-20-2020, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Jobu;1948135]The sales tax is based on the state you live in,/QUOTE]

Better would be: . . . based "on the state it is shipped to (or received in)".

+1.
And IF anyone thinks a large company is doing anything intentionally incorrect in collecting taxes they will be mistaking. Taxes are due/collected on most internet purchases now. And brick and mortar retail had the tax landscape leveled a little bit to make them a bit more competitive.