PDA

View Full Version : T206 Jump Start

bcooper27
01-14-2020, 07:33 AM
Hey everyone. After a long hiatus from the hobby, I've decided to get back into collecting. My kids are getting older and I've got that bug again and I've decided to focus on a few things to keep it interesting.

I've always had a liking for T206 cards. As I read posts here, I'm sure most of you have that same feeling about the set. Interesting in so many ways....history.....value.....variations......the hunt. It's just a fun set and I really want to see what I can put together without spending a boatload (my wife will kill me if I do.) haha

So after reading up I'm thinking of pursuing the Polar Bear backs 'set' along with the complete back variation 'set' of Brooklyn Superbas Nap Rucker (Portrait.) I'm a lifelong Dodger fan and out of all the players from those 1909-1911 seasons, he stuck out as a true Dodger so I thought it would be fun to go after the 12 back variations (I think there's 12) for the portrait.

For the Polar Bear backs, I've literally got (2) cards so I'm off to a slow start. I'd like to see if there's a way to find a bulk lot (not a ton, but maybe 10-20) to get me jump started. I'm looking for probably lower grade raw cards, probably not in too bad of condition but nothing better than say PSA 3-4 when it comes to condition. Anyone have experience getting jump started like that and where would you suggest I start? I'm not finding much outside of singles on eBay and I think I'd get a better bang for my buck if I could buy a starter lot or two if I can find them.

A few things that might help and I'm not sure I want to do this yet. I just sent in (3) cards to PSA to get graded. One is a T206 Nap Lajoie Throwing that I think will be graded PSA 3 or so. Another is a T206 Clark Griffith Portrait that I think might even grade higher than the Lajoie. And the last one is a T207 Brown Background Marquard that might be a PSA 1-2 grade. I'm thinking of selling them (depending on the grade) to kick start the Polar Bear set. However, those would be cards that are so nice I might kick myself down the line if I sold them. Thoughts on that?

Oh, and I'll mention one other thing I'm trying to do. I'm 75-cards away from completing a VG-EX 1963 Topps Baseball Set. I can't do just one thing.....gotta keep it interesting I guess.

I would appreciate the input from the group. Thx again for the great info on this forum.

Cmount76
01-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Slightly similarly, when I got back into collecting, The monster caught my attention as well. I was also in a tough position, staring down an expensive 520 card set (excluding the big 4), and had two cards.

Some of the best advice given to me as I began the marathon, was to keep in mind that it was a marathon, and not a sprint. As you mentioned, the hunt is a huge part of the fun. Secondly, go after the HOF guys first - in the event you abandon the set, they are fairly easy to unload.

As far as buying lots, I am a huge fan of the BST here on 54. Also, pay attention to the auction houses; they will often have small lots up for auction, similar to the ones you describe.

t206kid
01-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Polar Bear is a fun subset to attempt. No combo is massively difficult. But it will take time and effort (aka fun) to put all together. It’s 250 cards total and includes a nice snapshot of the HOF in the set.

I would say keep the Nap. Sell the Griffith. Unless that kind of condition fits into the set you envision building.

tonyo
01-14-2020, 12:50 PM
A few things that might help and I'm not sure I want to do this yet. I just sent in (3) cards to PSA to get graded. One is a T206 Nap Lajoie Throwing that I think will be graded PSA 3 or so. Another is a T206 Clark Griffith Portrait that I think might even grade higher than the Lajoie. And the last one is a T207 Brown Background Marquard that might be a PSA 1-2 grade. I'm thinking of selling them (depending on the grade) to kick start the Polar Bear set. However, those would be cards that are so nice I might kick myself down the line if I sold them. Thoughts on that?

I would appreciate the input from the group. Thx again for the great info on this forum.

I agree with Jay, and suggest certainly keep the Nap. I would also strongly consider keeping all three. I'm not up to date on the Marquard value, but the proceeds probably wouldn't bring you more than 2 or 3 PB's in return.

As far as the Lajoie and Griffith, ...... you don't know it yet, but your t206 path will be probably be a winding one, and there is a strong chance you'll be glad you didn't sell those two when the Monster forces you to stray from PB's onto another subset ( or take the plunge and go for 500+). Plus it will always be cool to point at a nice Lajoie and say "that was my first" (assuming he was your first - or close enough)

I started and stopped a couple of times and experimented with multiple subsets before taking the plunge to go for it!

oh and I agree with Michael, go for HOFers first.....

Ronnie73
01-14-2020, 01:39 PM
Welcome back into the hobby. Polar Bears are great and once done, your nearly half way towards a complete 520 set. Check out some of my YouTube videos where I talk a lot about the set and Polar Bears.

https://youtu.be/kdKC25yD-_k

bcooper27
01-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Appreciate all of the advice. I know that when the Nap, Griffith and Marquard come back, I'll be hard pressed to sell them so I'm thinking they'll stick around my collection for a while.

Funny thing about those cards.....the Nap and Griffith were part of a T206 collection I purchased around (and I'm guessing) the late 80's early 90's. Back then I was doing local Baseball cards shows, selling a lot of newer stuff but also dabbling in the older cards and this T206 collection crossed my path. I wish I had more details but those records are long gone. There were at least 50 Sweet Caporal's that were all in extremely nice shape. It's one of those finds you don't see often. There were probably 4-5 Nap Lajoie (Throwing) and at least 6 Marquards in there too. If only I had that collection back, but singles were sold here and there over the years and you know back then it was cheap. There were a lot of things from back then I wish I hadn't sold (namely that Babe Ruth signed ball that was authenticated and that 1951 Bowman near set with an EX Mantle.) Oh well, life goes on and you search for them again.

Thanks again. And I'll definitely be watching the Uncle Nacki videos again.....just went through videos 1-5 and they were super helpful. Keep 'em coming!

-Brian

t206kid
01-14-2020, 03:02 PM
Brian,

My buddy Justin and I have also done several podcasts on the T206 set. You might enjoy.
www.themonsterpodcast.com

Jay

Rhotchkiss
01-14-2020, 07:00 PM
As mentioned, Polar Bears are a great subset for numerous reasons. However, I think the best advice so far is to start with hall of famers, because, as mentioned, T206 is a beast, a monster!, and you may be off in a different direction before you know; HOFers are easier to sell or trade if/when you change course(s).

Personally, I have found player back runs to be nice side projects that keep me focused on something. I have completed the Tinker Bat off pose and have all but 3 of the Evers Yellow Sky pose. I am also working on E92+ Wagner batting, Wagner throwing, and Cobb standing back runs. But here is the problem with back runs -- they are terrible investments! You will inevitably overpay for certain tough combos. I have tried to mitigate by collecting HOFers, but unless its Cobb, Young, Matty, Wajo (Plank/Wagner), you likely will lose money on the endeavor. So be it, fund costs money!

Good luck and welcome back

matthew
01-14-2020, 07:16 PM
Rucker, huh? My favorite card. What 12 backs are available for the portrait? I was not aware that many existed.

bcooper27
01-14-2020, 07:31 PM
Rucker, huh? My favorite card. What 12 backs are available for the portrait? I was not aware that many existed.

From what I can find online and in Bill Heitman's book, the Rucker portrait should have the following back variations:

El Principe De Gales
Hindu Brown (probable no prints)
Old Mill (Black)
Piedmont 150
Piedmont 350
Sovereign 150
Sovereign 350 (Forest Green) (probable no prints)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 25)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 30)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 649)
Sweet Caporal 350 (Factory 25)
Sweet Caporal 350 (Factory 30)

JohnP0621
01-14-2020, 07:32 PM
Polar Bears are a very nice way to start.
However picking up the Cobb, Demitt and Ohara will be costly even low grade.
Good Luck
Enjoy

JP

bcooper27
01-14-2020, 07:57 PM
Polar Bears are a very nice way to start.
However picking up the Cobb, Demitt and Ohara will be costly even low grade.
Good Luck
Enjoy

JP

I hear you about the costly part and I also understand the recommendation to go for the HOF'ers first. I don't think right now I'll pin myself down to any specific method since I'm just starting off on this adventure.

I'm searching eBay, going over the B/S/T, checking out what's coming near me for shows (I think the Valley Forge PA show coming up end of February will be the next big one near me) and just having fun learning and searching. I guess if the funds are there and the right card presents itself, I'll go for it.

Ronnie73
01-14-2020, 08:16 PM
From what I can find online and in Bill Heitman's book, the Rucker portrait should have the following back variations:

El Principe De Gales
Hindu Brown (probable no prints)
Old Mill (Black)
Piedmont 150
Piedmont 350
Sovereign 150
Sovereign 350 (Forest Green) (probable no prints)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 25)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 30)
Sweet Caporal 150 (Factory 649)
Sweet Caporal 350 (Factory 25)
Sweet Caporal 350 (Factory 30)

There are no Hindu Browns, Sovereign 350's. or Sweet Caporal 649's for the Portrait.

matthew
01-15-2020, 07:09 PM
There are no Hindu Browns, Sovereign 350's. or Sweet Caporal 649's for the Portrait.

Whew. I thought I had them all at 9. I guess I do. Thanks for the info.

taul166
01-15-2020, 07:34 PM
You should never get bored building this set, even if it winds up being a partial set. There are so many ways to collect it. For example, you can start off by focusing on just portraits. If or when you get bored or find portraits tedious, you can shift to collecting a certain back such as Polar Bear, only to maybe return to portraits at a later time. There are so many combinations to pursue, should you choose.

MatthewN
01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
Let's hear some more of those podcasts!!

Brian,

My buddy Justin and I have also done several podcasts on the T206 set. You might enjoy.
www.themonsterpodcast.com

Jay

Leon
02-03-2020, 05:56 PM
The good thing about T206s is that there are so many ways to collect it in subsets. They are virtually limitless. Our BST is a good place to pick some up along with all of the other venues.